entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:
    672 Juggernaut has 600,000+ HP and does 250k or something on a headbutt.

I have 6 672s this week, all usable, and I'm running Juggernaut.

Totally get it. But if I see you in PVP, my 550 SC/MT with boosts can take that 672 Jugg down no problem (board being willing).

I totally understand you can then reverse and take mine down but there isn't anything "scary" to me about a 672 Juggernaut as it was in the day of Chasm.

...and that's exactly why they need to do something about m'Thor.

That's a bit of a leap. Surely if it's one win each, by that rationale they should do something about 1* Juggs too with his ridiculous headbutt. Or anyone else good. I targeted MThor teams in the last PvP because they were much quicker and less risky than the alternatives. I'm not anywhere close to 550s but the principle stands.

I don't want to rehash the entire debate, because everyone knows where everyone else stands. I just think an unboosted team that can trivially punch up 100+ levels, slice through over a million health, and ignore any active powers the other team might have, is a problem.

Okoye/Omega Red, SW/Colossus, Shang-Chi with someone else, even the various Kang or Polaris nonsense teams -- they all have their place and they're all very strong, but none of them can beat literally anything you throw them at the way m'Thor can.

Your mThor must be a whole lot better than my mThor :D

She can be quite efficient and strong, sure, but also board dependent. A slot machine pull. To more reliably punch way up she needs boosts and a strong synergistic partner or two.

I was responding to someone who said that they've got no problem using her to take on a lvl672 Juggernaut with 600,000+ health, who does 250,000 damage for 6ap.

Perhaps your argument should be directed at them?

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

Totally get it. But if I see you in PVP, my 550 SC/MT with boosts can take that 672 Jugg down no problem (board being willing).

I totally understand you can then reverse and take mine down but there isn't anything "scary" to me about a 672 Juggernaut as it was in the day of Chasm.

That's a bit of a leap. Surely if it's one win each, by that rationale they should do something about 1* Juggs too with his ridiculous headbutt. Or anyone else good. I targeted MThor teams in the last PvP because they were much quicker and less risky than the alternatives. I'm not anywhere close to 550s but the principle stands.

I don't want to rehash the entire debate, because everyone knows where everyone else stands. I just think an unboosted team that can trivially punch up 100+ levels, slice through over a million health, and ignore any active powers the other team might have, is a problem.

Okoye/Omega Red, SW/Colossus, Shang-Chi with someone else, even the various Kang or Polaris nonsense teams -- they all have their place and they're all very strong, but none of them can beat literally anything you throw them at the way m'Thor can.

She can be quite efficient and strong, sure, but also board dependent. A slot machine pull. To more reliably punch way up she needs boosts and a strong synergistic partner or two.

I was responding to someone who said that they've got no problem using her to take on a lvl672 Juggernaut with 600,000+ health, who does 250,000 damage for 6ap.

Comment was in response to .... let's see ... oh, that's right, your response, "... none of them can beat literally anything you throw them at the way m'Thor can."

mThor beats literally anything. Yep, sure does. All on her own. Never fails. MPQ easy button.

Oh, brudder :D

• entrailbucket
    Options

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

Comment was in response to .... let's see ... oh, that's right, your response, "... none of them can beat literally anything you throw them at the way m'Thor can."

mThor beats literally anything. Yep, sure does. All on her own. Never fails. MPQ easy button.

...the other person said they could beat literally anything with Thor. I said that I think that's a problem. If you don't think she's any good, take it up with them. If you think it's fine that she can trivially destroy any team of any level, I'd be happy to have that argument.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 13 March 2024, 15:07
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

...the other person said they could beat literally anything with Thor. I said that I think that's a problem. If you don't think she's any good, take it up with them. If you think it's fine that she can trivially destroy any team of any level, I'd be happy to have that argument.

I'm assuming "the other person" is me. If you are going to try to quote me, please correctly do so. I absolutely did NOT say I could beat literally anything with Thor. I said:

"Totally get it. But if I see you in PVP, my 550 SC/MT with boosts can take that 672 Jugg down no problem (board being willing)."

MT works but only with the right partner. It's not her and her alone. I never, ever, ever said I could beat literally anything with Thor.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

I'm assuming "the other person" is me. If you are going to try to quote me, please correctly do so. I absolutely did NOT say I could beat literally anything with Thor. I said:

"Totally get it. But if I see you in PVP, my 550 SC/MT with boosts can take that 672 Jugg down no problem (board being willing)."

MT works but only with the right partner. It's not her and her alone. I never, ever, ever said I could beat literally anything with Thor.

Ah, I see. So pre-nerf Chasm wasn't overpowered, because he was only good with Hulk? Chasm by himself wasn't powerful at all.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

Anyway, I do apologize for misunderstanding your sentiment. When you said you'd have no problem taking down Juggernaut, a character with massive HP who does massive damage, I assumed that meant that you'd have no problem taking down any team of any level.

Obviously I was wrong about that. So which teams would be too difficult for you to take down using m'Thor? Who would you skip?

• LavaManLee
    edited 13 March 2024, 15:32
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

Ah, I see. So pre-nerf Chasm wasn't overpowered, because he was only good with Hulk? Chasm by himself wasn't powerful at all.

Don't put words in my mouth, which is something you seem to really enjoy doing. I never said anything about pre-nerf Chasm. And, to be honest, I actually never had a problem with pre-nerf Chasm. And don't have a problem with MT. Not everyone sees the game the way you do.

And it's also important to remember that leaving a MT/SC out in PVP is an open invite to grab points. They aren't particular great at defense.

• LavaManLee
    edited 13 March 2024, 15:32
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

Anyway, I do apologize for misunderstanding your sentiment. When you said you'd have no problem taking down Juggernaut, a character with massive HP who does massive damage, I assumed that meant that you'd have no problem taking down any team of any level.

Obviously I was wrong about that. So which teams would be too difficult for you to take down using m'Thor? Who would you skip?

Let's be very clear. It is not "using m'Thor. It is using MT/SC both at 550 with boosts. That's what I said in my original post you so gleefully want to misinterpret.

And it all depends on the points I would get and whether I am in a rush or not to play.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Round and round and round we go.
    Why do you people always give Bucket a chance to make the same arguments for the 17th time again?

• entrailbucket
    Options

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@LavaManLee said:

@entrailbucket said:

Let's be very clear. It is not "using m'Thor. It is using MT/SC both at 550 with boosts. That's what I said in my original post you so gleefully want to misinterpret.

And it all depends on the points I would get and whether I am in a rush or not to play.

Ok. Which teams would you find too difficult to beat using that setup? Obviously I was wrong in saying that you thought you could beat "literally anything," so give me a few examples of teams you'd have difficulty beating.

There should be plenty of them, since I was so wrong in my characterization of your statement.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    Round and round and round we go.
    Why do you people always give Bucket a chance to make the same arguments for the 17th time again?

It was one offhand comment, and they get SO offended at anyone even suggesting there's a possibility that someone might take their overpowered toy away. It's fun watching them try to simultaneously argue that she's strong enough to beat any team of any level but not overpowered.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 13 March 2024, 16:24
    Options

Is a team overpowered if they are nearly unbeatable on offense, but extremely easy to beat when facing them? Mthor, shang, and riri used to be my team to beat any other team in shield sim, but sometimes a bad board could cause that team to fizzle out and wipe. I have just recently found a new and even better beat anything team and it’s the one that you suggested in another thread EB. Coulson, Kang, riri and it is literally unbeatable on offense, no board dependency at all.

Just bring a plus all ap boost along with y/r and g/b boosts. Fire Riri red on turn zero followed by her green to stun the enemy team -> go make a sandwich while you wait for all 37 of Coulsons countdown tiles to expire and collect AP -> fire Kang blue 3 times and watch the victory banner pop up. 100% fool proof and not even the chance of the bad board wipe that shang/jane could occasionally suffer. Of course, on defense they will be very easy to beat, just as mthor/shang are pretty easy to beat.

It seems like players have only ever considered a team to be OP if it can beat other teams on defense consistently (chasm/hulk, bishop, gambit, etc.). I would say that OR is more likely to be seen as OP than Jane by the general player base.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:
    Is a team overpowered if they are nearly unbeatable on offense, but extremely easy to beat when facing them?

THIS is the interesting question, and reasonable people can absolutely disagree about the answer. It's a game philosophy thing.

I think they can be. If you don't, that's fine, and you can produce a reasonable argument why.

If you want to have some other debate about this, you're just trying to deny reality.

(And yeah, that sim team is dumb, but it's a sim team. There are a few others like that as well, once you open things up to pick-3. Is it a problem? Eh. I find it hard to get worked up about a pick-3 format, with no boosted characters, where the rewards are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme.)

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 13 March 2024, 18:52
    Options

Thor is not just a few people's "overpowered toy". Due in large part to huge numbers of bundles and vaults - often very reasonably priced - as well as CP stores, and just the general fact that you NEED to focus to build up any 5 that isn't in LTs, so everyone who is building a 5* team is told to focus on Thor very early, and does - due to all that, she is likely to be a champed 5 on a very, very high percentage of all rosters who have champed 5s.

I spent some cash on covers for her, personally, when coming back during the past anniversary. Many, many players, I'm sure, have spent cash to catch up on her covers. Nerfing her will drive a lot of players away especially those with few high level tools in their toolbox.

Nerfing her potentially just lets the SAP spam teams rise to the top as they have no good counter besides Chasm or the occasional ascended 4. Removing one of the effective teams means less variety.

Maybe they could make her ignore CDs or something. That might be all right.

She pre-counters a lot of teams that might be annoying, and players would quickly find some new teams to complain about......the passives remain dominant, just waiting for their turn to rise.....

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 13 March 2024, 19:23
    Options

Absolutely NOBODY will be driven away by a nerf.
    Previous nerfs have shown that.
    That's just another "don't take my toy away" argument.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    Absolutely NOBODY will be driven away by a nerf.
    Previous nerfs have shown that.
    That's just another "don't take my toy away" argument.

This. People complained about every single past nerf, some quite loudly. There was a ton of concern trolling over the game dying. Tons threatened to quit over them. Some of them even walked away for a day or so.

99.9% of them never left at all, and the vast majority of those who left ended up coming back.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 13 March 2024, 19:35
    Options

I'll be honest. If they nerfed her, I wouldn't leave, and I've said many times she's my favorite toon in the game.

I'd be annoyed. The game would become less fun for me. But I wouldn't quit.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 March 2024, 01:45
    Options

I saw 40 new posts and was excited that maybe they were re-offering the 1s. Nope… just the same horse pulp that’s been beaten in multiple other threads. We get it. At this point it’s glue. Weird weird obsession.

If you all don’t like bad faith arguments or words being put in your mouth, I suggest the ignore feature. The forums become much better….BUT if the ignored is quoted those don’t get ignored and topics still get derailed. Just learned that the hard way. I’d still suggest it though despite the limitations.

• entrailbucket
    Options

LOL. "Bad faith" arguments are, of course, anything one personally disagrees with. And "putting words in someone's mouth" is correctly characterizing their "bad faith" arguments.

They've already said they're having balance conversations about this character. It's just a matter of time...

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 March 2024, 02:45
    Options

Can I (once again) be that person who steers the inevitable derailed conversation about Natalie Portman back to the actual topic? I can? Thanks!

With MBW being boosted this week, I'm wondering how good she is. Especially with this week's boost list being very meh. Sure Thanos can destroy everyone, but he'll cost you health packs. IM46...is still average despite his rework. OML...sigh please restore him to his former glory. You did it for Xverine, you can do it for OML. Banner is the only good one here. Of the 4s if you have them ascended, it's probably Melinda and Rhino who are above average.

My current "1-stars who are worth buying their 5-star ascended version" list is Spidey, Yelena, Juggernaut. Does MBW deserve to be added to that list? Her Purple is better than Yelena's, and her Blue has stood the tests of time. Her Yellow being reduced to 7AP makes it better than 5* Colossus' Blue.