What if any of these 20 buck 1 stars worth it if any

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@LavaManLee said:
    I think the devs discovered the $20 for an Ascended 1 to 5* was WAY too good a deal.

They would be fools to keep offering it if we are all honest with ourselves.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@LavaManLee said:
    I think the devs discovered the $20 for an Ascended 1 to 5* was WAY too good a deal.

Completely agree.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,720 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@LavaManLee said:
    I'm curious to know how many people bought them and now might regret it in PVP. They are all fine, but pretty slow compared to the meta. Even boosted, they can be brought down quickly by some of the other teams not boosted.

Not at all. Using Venom or Juggs I float the highest I have since Chasm. TBH now we have ascended I don't even know why god boosted is even a thing anymore. No need for it with all the added variety, if fact I think you would get more variety now without the boost with all the ascended fours.

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,036 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 25 April 2024, 15:27
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:

@LavaManLee said:

Not really I mean how many people really put money into this game

I know for fact been playing almost 10 years ... Did all of the offers on stream when join. Then maybe a vip here or there. Nothing else until I got the one star vemon storm and juggie

No real reason to put cash into the game. I now have 518 slots (think over 100 open with a lot of extra 3)

I'm not a major player I do not need to be top 10 player ..hell i used to do level 10 but now lucky to do level 5 pve and level 8 pvp and happy with that .

Hell level 5 pve take top 25 so getting enough gold . so until they offer them I doubt I ever put more cash into this game. Now the 2 star accended to 4 for 24.99 now if I had another 2 star accended to max 4 and it would push it to 5 maybe

Maybe once may goes into ll(have 1300) and do her with emma and see how fast you can do clears maybe move up but I'm cool with what getting

About pvp. No problem then again I had a 480 chi and 470 thor what I mostly use. And a accended 5 America helps

Truth is really doubt to really ever use the 1 star only reason buying is got around 3800 basic tokens. Each 1 star max would get you 20k hp. Cheaper then if you would ever have to buy

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,332 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Tony_Foot said:

@LavaManLee said:
    I'm curious to know how many people bought them and now might regret it in PVP. They are all fine, but pretty slow compared to the meta. Even boosted, they can be brought down quickly by some of the other teams not boosted.

Not at all. Using Venom or Juggs I float the highest I have since Chasm. TBH now we have ascended I don't even know why god boosted is even a thing anymore. No need for it with all the added variety, if fact I think you would get more variety now without the boost with all the ascended fours.

First of all, it depends a lot on what levels a player has on their 1-5, and which ones. Juggs and Spidey and Yelena are all very close to tops in the tier because of passives/cheap powers. Juggs is a bit annoying to use but also defensively doesn't care about hurting himself and making you use a health pack with his red.

I would place them above many or most of the 4-5s as well, and all the 2-5s and 3-5s you might build, really. Spidey is INSANELY useful for me especially boosted.

A lot of the other 1-5s are too slow and not very useful until you get them quite high as their match dmg and health are all quite high in the tier, so even if they are incredibly bad on defense with power coordination etc at least their match dmg is annoying.

Anyway I would definitely skip a very high level Juggs and normally do unless there's no good option and I'm close to getting my wins done.

There are multiple factors working against just offering them again:
    1. Some newer players might regret the MMR bump, as $20 is within the budget for a lot of people and close to an impulse buy (certainly from a "can't pass up this value" perspective) and not really understand what happens to their PVP afterwards
    2. Some are incredibly effective, reducing motivation to build natural 5s for some players
    3. As pointed out the value was insane and while $20 is a lot for some people, it's an absolute steal comparatively to what they typically ask for, for resources

That said, who knows? Maybe they just want to make them rarer so they are more appealing. Or maybe we'll never see them again.

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    edited 25 April 2024, 18:22
    Options

@LavaManLee said:

This person doesn't regret it, on either account!

5* account bought 7 of them. 3 550'd already, the rest are close. The RoI has been fantastic in terms of both loot and performance. Use them all the time.

3* account bought only 1, Juggs, and it has been fantastic. Put PvE on warp speed (relatively), and made PvP much more playable.

My pet theory on why the offers showed to very occasional is that they wanted to seed the pool., not permanently alter the game economy.

I wish they would permanently alter the game economy 🤣

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I cannot imagine rostering an incredibly powerful character and regretting it, because the game is now trying to prevent you from stomping noobs in PvP.

The 1->5s are really all pretty strong. Even the ones you don't see as often, like Hawkeye and Venom, are very very good with levels/when boosted.

I'm starting to max out the 2->5s as well, and they are just as good, if not better. Daken, for example, is absolutely WILD.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

My only regret is that I didn't buy more of them. I only got spidey and juggs and they're both about level 500 now. Juggs is great when boosted and makes pvp matches super fast if you don't mind using some health packs. Spidey has been great for both pvp and pve when boosted, and some times I'll use him as a third when not boosted in pve.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@slidecage said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@LavaManLee said:

Not really I mean how many people really put money into this game

I know for fact been playing almost 10 years ... Did all of the offers on stream when join. Then maybe a vip here or there. Nothing else until I got the one star vemon storm and juggie

No real reason to put cash into the game. I now have 518 slots (think over 100 open with a lot of extra 3)

I'm not a major player I do not need to be top 10 player ..hell i used to do level 10 but now lucky to do level 5 pve and level 8 pvp and happy with that .

Hell level 5 pve take top 25 so getting enough gold . so until they offer them I doubt I ever put more cash into this game. Now the 2 star accended to 4 for 24.99 now if I had another 2 star accended to max 4 and it would push it to 5 maybe

Maybe once may goes into ll(have 1300) and do her with emma and see how fast you can do clears maybe move up but I'm cool with what getting

About pvp. No problem then again I had a 480 chi and 470 thor what I mostly use. And a accended 5 America helps

Truth is really doubt to really ever use the 1 star only reason buying is got around 3800 basic tokens. Each 1 star max would get you 20k hp. Cheaper then if you would ever have to buy

It was a "loss leader" to give incentive to ascend 1*. It was a smart decision that I genuinely don't think the old Devs would have done - they seemed to treat 5* releases like some boys club only secret instead of spreading it around so people would want to chase the new shiny.

Now the point has been made they really have no reason to practically give these things away any more, especially as it appears the hunt for 1* covers is driving engagement in "dead" events like SHIELD SIM. Player engagement is just as important as cold hard cash. Job done I would venture. It remains a string to their bow if they ever need it so why dilute it with regular offers?

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I have a feeling they'll offer these again, but I bet it'll only be for special occasions. Keeping them rare means that demand will be very high.

The other issue is that each run of the same character likely has diminishing returns. I have doubles of some of the 450s, but I could see folks buying, say, Storm, just once. Once those folks 550 her, though, they're staring down a long path to another 450 Storm, and I bet they'd be more likely to buy her again.

• slidecage
    edited 25 April 2024, 21:09
    Options

I wonder if this 3 1star accended to 2 could be start of bulk selling

Love to see 5. 1 stars for 100 just to have them ..

I have no idea why or how I earned up with 8 ares all different ranks. 128 to 101 not sure why all the covers didn't go to one

Also sucks I got 8 vemons with 10 covers each (open up a lot of commons before he got his 3rd power)

It's too bad you can combine them some how ... I did the 5 star storm but already had one level to rank 3. Just think of all of those wasted covers

• nwahs086
    nwahs086 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options

I just got an offer for a 5 star Modern Black Widow. I bought it since my other one is at 520.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,720 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah I will pick that up too. I have Venom Juggs and Spidey done to 550. I will now pick the rest up when they are offered slowly over the next few months while hoarding until I have 3k standards again.

• slidecage
    Options

@nwahs086 said:
    I just got an offer for a 5 star Modern Black Widow. I bought it since my other one is at 520.

You can only buy one right (until offered again)

Not at PC but hope to grab it tomorrow

Make 4 now. Jug vemon storm and her

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options

@nwahs086 said:

Good to hear as that's the only one I skipped / snoozed on. Like collecting glasses at McD's, gotta get em all...

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,922 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

i already have a widow. Was really wanting Hawkeye and Iron Man. Those were my snoozes. Still might by this for the rewards down the road.

• nwahs086
    nwahs086 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options

@slidecage said:

@nwahs086 said:

You can only buy one right (until offered again)

Not at PC but hope to grab it tomorrow

Make 4 now. Jug vemon storm and her

Yeah, you can only buy one. I'm hoping they offer Iron Man again since my other one recently maxed out. I have a second Storm because I bought both times they offered it.

The rest of the ones are in the 500s. It takes a few months of regular playing to max one. Lightning rounds and simulator help add 1 star covers if you're looking to grind, but playing PVE nets a lot.

• slidecage
    Options

im moving slowly since waiting till i have at least 6 or 7 before open basic tokens but now

juggie 476
    vemon 461
    storm 452
    marvel 450

• slidecage
    edited 4 May 2024 19:24
    Options

Selling 3 1s accended to 3 for 10. Last time they offered this week or two later they did a 1 star. So hopefully within next few weeks

Edit guess two days later they offered one.