*** Human Torch (Classic) ***

mischiefmaker
mischiefmaker Posts: 932
edited August 2015 in Character Details
[anchor=humantorch3]Human Torch (Classic)[/anchor] icon_humantorch.png
3 Star Rarity (Rare) Discussion link. Wiki link.
At Max Level: HP: 8075 Tile damage: 13/79/12/11/61/70/3.0
    Fireball - Red 8 redtile.png
    Johnny hurls a fistful of flame, torching the opponent. Deals 177 damage and blisters the battlefield, destroying 2 red tiles.
      Level 2: 248 damage. Level 3: 319 damage Level 4: 389 damage Level 5: 460 damage
    Max Level: 3390 damage.
      Inferno - Black 10 blacktile.png
      Eager to impress, the Human Torch erupts into flame, scorching the opponent but disrupting his team. Converts up to 8 basic color tiles into attack tiles that do 12 damage each turn, but deplete the team's Blue, Purple, and Yellow AP by 30%.
        Level 2: 17 damage. Level 3: 22 damage (Max: 157 x 8 = 1256) Level 4: 26 damage (Max: 191 x 8 = 1528) Level 5: 31 damage
      Max Level: 8x 226 Attack tiles
        Flame Jet - Green 5 greentile.png
        The Human Torch channels a deadly stream of flaming plasma. Creates a Green Countdown tile that activates every turn, dealing 14 damage for every green AP the team has (max 126 damage a turn). Tiles cost 1 Green AP per turn.
          Level 2: 20 for each Green AP. Max 176 damage a turn. Level 3: 25 for each Green AP. Max 227 damage a turn. Level 4: 31 for each Green AP. Max 277 damage a turn. Level 5: 36 for each Green AP. Max 328 damage a turn.
        Max Level: 270 per AP, max 2434

Older version below.
        (stat block added by moderator Nonce Equitaur)

[anchor=humantorch3]Human Torch (Classic)[/anchor]
        3 Star Rarity (Rare) Wiki link.
        At Max Level: HP: 5075 Tile damage: 12/67/11/10/52/60
          Fireball - Red 8 AP
          Johnny hurls a fistful of flame, torching the opponent. Deals 177 damage and blisters the battlefield, destroying 2 red tiles.
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: 248 damage. Level 3: 319 damage Level 4: 389 damage Level 5: 460 damage
          Max Level: 2891 damage.
            Inferno - Black 10 AP
            Eager to impress, the Human Torch erupts into flame, scorching the opponent but disrupting his team. Converts up to 8 basic color tiles into attack tiles that do 12 damage each turn, but deplete the team's Blue, Purple, and Yellow AP by 30%.
            Level Upgrades
              Level 2: 17 damage. Level 3: 22 damage Level 4: 26 damage Level 5: 31 damage
            Max Level: 8x 192 Attack tiles
              Flame Jet - Green 5 AP
              The Human Torch channels a deadly stream of flaming plasma. Creates a Green Countdown tile that activates every turn, dealing 14 damage for every green AP the team has (max 126 damage a turn). Tiles cost 1 Green AP per turn.
              Level Upgrades
                Level 2: 20 for each Green AP. Max 176 damage a turn. Level 3: 25 for each Green AP. Max 227 damage a turn. Level 4: 31 for each Green AP. Max 277 damage a turn. Level 5: 36 for each Green AP. Max 328 damage a turn.
              Max Level: 231 per AP, max 2083

(original post follows)

It's been an hour and nobody has posted a new thread yet? I'm confused.

Base stats: 665 health, red/black/green primary tile damage.

Fireball (red): 8 AP, 177 damage, destroys 2 red tiles.
              L2: 248 damage

Inferno (black): 10 AP, converts 8 basic tiles to attack tiles that do 12 damage, but depletes blue/purple/yellow AP by 30%
              L2: 17 damage

Flame Jet (green): 5 AP, creates a green countdown that deals 14 damage for every green AP the team has, up to 126. Tiles cost 1 green AP per turn.
              L2: 20 damage/AP, 176 max

Max stats as of 4/8/14

5075 HP
              12/67/11/52/10/60/3.0x/3

Abilities at Level 5
              Fireball - 2891 damage
              Inferno - 8x 192 strength Attack tiles
              Flame Jet - 231 damage per AP, max 2083
              Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Phaserhawk
                Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
                He has an interesting set of skills.

His Red Fireball skill is going to be terrible if you are running strike tiles and great if you are running against them, this guy is a good counter to Psylocke, Daken, and Wolverine already.

His Black Inferno might be his worst, it doesn't do any direct damage, but leaves a lot of attack tiles, the 30% decrease in AP stinks, and I can only assume as he levels it's gong to expand into other colors.

Green Flame Jet, is very, very interesing. You get an every turn CD tile that dealing damage for each Green AP you have but at the same time take 1 green AP from you every turn, much like having to fuel a fire with wood or coal, apparently this one will cost you green AP

Well, on the surface while the Human Torch has cool unique abilities, he does not jive well with a lot of characters, which is cool since that is very similar to his personality as a character. but I can already see he will not play well with Psylocke, Patch, Daken, Captain, Wolverine, X-Force, Daredevil as he will be blowing up red with his red. And with his green ability, you really aren't going to be able to run another green character with him as he will constantly siphon the green AP so then out are Punisher and Thor.

Now while the share the same colors, Hulk and Torch might actually make good bed fellows. If you choose to use Torch as primary, then Hulk can generate green for him by tanking, and just let Torch do the rest, throw in a certain blue, yellow, purple character and you have a very tanky, slow grind you out team.
              • Hm, and no passive ability that teases the Thing?
              • Did we really need another character who uses these three colors? >_>

He's basically an attack tile generator, but it's going to be difficult to pair him with the popular strike generators due to the color conflict. He's really good with Daken, I guess.
              • Phaserhawk
                Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
                Celerity wrote:
                Did we really need another character who uses these three colors? >_>

He's basically an attack tile generator, but it's going to be difficult to pair him with the popular strike generators due to the color conflict. He's really good with Daken, I guess.

No he's not, Torch's red says, destroys 2 red tiles, which means any red tiles, not just open ones. I think Torch is going to be a very powerful character, his draw back is that he is going to hinder your team, just look at his skills, they all have drawbacks, which tells me he is going to have high lvls of damage do to that fact, much like Ares.
              • Some preliminary analysis, assuming my ballpark stats are right:

- Pretty low health for a 3*. Looks intended to be a glass-cannon type.

- The red doesn't say that it doesn't generate AP, which is supposed to mean that it does generate AP. If it doesn't generate AP, it's a great red skill (twice as much damage as Punisher's red for the same AP). If it does generate AP, it's...uh...I have no words.

- Black looks pretty great, similar damage to Doom, more attack tiles, less AP. Depletes your blue/purple/yellow, but if you're not running Magneto/OBW/Thor, that's not much of a drawback (I excluded Spidey because 30% less blue is fine and once you stunlock you don't care about depleting yellow).

- Green is really interesting. I love that they're pushing a new mechanic here and I think we're going to need to play with this a bit before we know how good it is/isn't, but it seems pretty good as long as you save up green and don't put the countdown in a bad place.
              • ZeiramMR
                ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
                His Green will not be good on defense, though. Either the AI drops it shortly after hitting the 5 AP, in which case it does little damage, or it passes over the power in favor of a more expensive Green ability. Only way I see the AI pulling off a good attack is if you KO a character in that second scenario (like a Thor with 13 Green) leaving a nice stockpile for Torch.
              • I wonder how the damage from his green ability scale. It says "creates a green CD that deals 14 damage for every green AP the team has, up to 126."
                This led me to believe that it counts only the first 9 green AP (9x14 = 126), but the level 2 of the ability says "L2: 20 damage/AP, 176 max", which is less than 9x20 = 180.
                Does it simply use a fixed cap for each level that isn't linked to the number of AP?
              • It's been an hour and nobody has posted a new thread yet? I'm confused.

I think most of the stats were posted in the event thread they just hadn't made it over this way yet.
              • Human Torch without Super-Nova, yellow color and generating red AP? It's April joke?
              • Nonce Equitaur 2
                Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
                He'd be much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much better if his Green power was Yellow instead.

Currently he's competing with Punisher, Hulk, and Modern Storm for that set of colors, and he doesn't compare well to Punisher.
              • He'd be much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much better if his Green power was Yellow instead.

Currently he's competing with Punisher, Hulk, and Modern Storm for that set of colors, and he doesn't compare well to Punisher.

Punisher is overpowered anyway so being weaker than The Punisher isn't saying much.

Though I do agree that color combination seems to show up too frequently.
              • Sandwichboy
                Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
                Punisher isn't so much overpowered as the perfect glue that can hold almost any team together. That said, Torch looks like he could be really deadly on offense, but pretty weak on defence since his most powerful ability seems to require a fair bit of buildup to really work. Still think BP is the best new character since Punisher, but at least Torch looks like he's worth playing around with.

Bear in mind though, he could easily jump to being a must have if those 5th slot benefits are strong enough. 8 attack tiles doing 200 each is pretty good, but I'm guessing there will be a lot more tiles, they'll probably hit for at least 400, and it will drain quite a bit less than 30% of your AP.
              • AdamMagus
                AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
                Another cursed character.

It's too early to downplay him though so I'll wait till we get more info on levels 3-5 of his abilities
              • Torch + Hood for life, I'm loving him already. Sucks that Inferno will gobble up yellow, but you could just as easily use Intimidate instead to get another tick off of Torch's green.

Agreeing with others though on the overabundance of red/green/black, I would've been so happy to see red/yellow/black (ANOTHER UNIQUE COLOR COMBINATION KTHX). Nope, missed opportunity.
              • IceIX
                IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
                Some preliminary analysis, assuming my ballpark stats are right:

- Pretty low health for a 3*. Looks intended to be a glass-cannon type.

- The red doesn't say that it doesn't generate AP, which is supposed to mean that it does generate AP. If it doesn't generate AP, it's a great red skill (twice as much damage as Littlebunnypunpun's red for the same AP). If it does generate AP, it's...uh...I have no words.
                Yep, he's a glass cannon type. And yes, the Red ability generates AP, so it costs 8 but you get up to 2 refunded.
              • Nonce Equitaur 2
                Ice, any chance his Flame Jet can be made Yellow instead of Green?
              • IceIX
                IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
                Unlikely, but not impossible. Abilities (and color strengths) are based on what that ability does and character traits. Green tends to be a board control/board affecting color with a damage component which is exactly what Flame Jet is.
              • He'd be much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much better if his Green power was Yellow instead.

Currently he's competing with Littlebunnypunpun, LilCuteGreenDude, and Modern Hallestorm for that set of colors, and he doesn't compare well to Littlebunnypunpun.

If by "competing" you mean "I want them playing together on my team with Punisher tanking for torch, while using Punisher's Green and Torch's Red and Black," then yes
              • Nonce Equitaur 2
                IceIX wrote:
                Unlikely, but not impossible. Abilities (and color strengths) are based on what that ability does and character traits. Green tends to be a board control/board affecting color with a damage component which is exactly what Flame Jet is.

Battleplan, Twin Pistols, Thunderstrike, Sunder, and Armored Assault are all yellow powers that combine board affecting powers with damage.

X-Force, Sniper Rifle, Godlike Power, Thundreous Clap, Judgement, Berserker Rage, Onslaught, Feral Claws are the similar Green powers.

Flame Jet seems to match the existing Yellow powers a lot better.... and his primary colors are red and yellow.
              • Dreylin
                Dreylin Posts: 241
                IceIX wrote:
                There's a /lot/ of bleed between colours - especially it seems the "direct damage" R/Y/G colours

e.g. 2/3 of Thor's abilities are functionally the same (damage + tile conversion), albeit balanced differently between the 2. Ditto Clawguybub (Patch)'s Green and Red. If anything, HE'SONFIRE!'s Red ability functions more like a Yellow in that it destroys additional tiles (a.la. Twin Pistols) ... then again BP's Yellow has zero direct damage component and Shieldbro's creates Protects (does Yellow have a colour identity?)

I guess I just don't see the "colour wheel" being particularly mature yet, although some powers are well limited to one colour, others sprawl around a lot. I guess this will firm up more in time and we'll see older characters as "relics" of the uncontrolled early game. (Yes, I played Magic)