*** Human Torch (Classic) ***

Comments

• HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    HailMary wrote:
    Hulk for tanking/green generation and CMags for even more strike tile abuse seem like good Torchbuddies.

Wait, this team doesn't have any strike tiles... what am I missing?
    Oops. I thought HT black had strike tiles, instead of attack tiles. Awww, now I'm not so big on HT black anymore.

Dakenator FTW.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Kamahl_FoK wrote:
    If Lazydaken only has two skills, I'm not going to consider him worth squat, since he'll be unable to tank for HT beyond green. If he has 3 skills though, it'll be heavily worth considering. Just hope it isn't a passive.

Who cares if a guy has 3 passives, just look at it as free spells. Daken for example has almost the same ability as Wolverine except instead of costing 6 green to do some damage and put out strike tiles based on red, someone matches Green and you get strike tiles for free which are almost the same in strength value. So is giving up the ability to do direct damage for 6AP worth being able to get free strike tiles of the same value by having anyone match green?

Daken's two current passives just make him a mediocre to upper range strike tile generator. He also has a rather low health pool, meaning it won't take more than two abilities from some of the better 3* characters to wipe him out (and yes, I'm talking about if he were level 115). It's not worth it to focus him early, and usually I leave him for last given he just produces incremental minor advantage, rather than the sudden burst you could see from other characters. Don't get me wrong - he has his uses, but he's someone I would use to complement another character, rather than build around.

And it wouldn't be Human Torch, that's a bit counter-productive, since HT's red will start cracking up red tiles. I see the use alongside his green, but honestly I'd way sooner use Psylocke alongside Daken for the same effect, but with a lot more damage up front, and more health to boot.
  • Unless Lazy Daken has a 3rd ability, I think BP/Hood/HT is the best line up. You get strike tiles without using green or red. With the expection of Daken thats the only way your getting strike tiles when the AI is playing. BP also provides protect tiles and Hoods intimidation works well with Flame Jet.

The issue with Lazy Thor is the red ability conflict when the AI is playing. You dont want the AI using Thor's red which does 1000 less damage and doesn't return red AP over HT red which is his best ability I think. Also the AI wont be using Thors best ability his green. Hulk is a possibilty but really just ends up being HP with anger when controlled by the AI. And I am not convinced that anger will be that helpful as their is too much risk that your flame jet tiles will get destroyed. Also no-one is going to attack Hulk before HT. IM40 is similiar in that he just HP and the battery ability. Also if your already using Hood in your line up the question of is twin pistols or recharge better comes up.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Max stats as of 4/8/14

5075 HP
    12/67/11/52/10/60/3.0x/3

Abilities at Level 5
    Fireball - 2891 damage
    Inferno - 8x 192 strength Attack tiles
    Flame Jet - 231 damage per AP, max 2083
  • I'm guessing his Green CDs go away when he dies? I'm thinking of 5/5/3 because as sexy as his green looks, he's going to drop like a kitten on defense but that won't matter if he's already lucked into summoning 8 superdemons
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Max stats as of 4/8/14

5075 HP
    12/67/11/52/10/60/3.0x/3

Abilities at Level 5
    Fireball - 2891 damage

Thanks, added to the compendium.
  • I've been playing around with a few different combos, and currently I'm liking Hulk and Hood the best, provided you are fighting opponents capable of making Hulk proc. Spidey HT Hood is also quite effective , but obviously suffers from some squish
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:
    This is terribly inappropriate but HE'SONFIRE!'s art looks as if he's being tortured and it turns me on :[
    The art is still not as awkward as baglady's neck.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Max stats as of 4/8/14

5075 HP
    12/67/11/52/10/60/3.0x/3

Abilities at Level 5
    Fireball - 2891 damage

WOW, he is really a good character for doing damage. His red is really strong, another great red ability. And Inferno is a monster too. Flame Jet could be game changing if you have green. It is a pitty that has the same colors than Punisher.

The only thing missing is strike tiles. He could be a monster teamed with the new Gold Daken... Or with someone that is a battery like Hood or IM40.

If you launch Inferno and Flame Jet in the same turn, you could be making 3500hps per turn!!!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Those are some pretty insane demons, and really good damage for what's effectively 6 red AP too (when are you NOT going to have 2 reds on the board). Going 5/5/3 for sure
  • Interesting character but he will likely sit on my bench simply due to his colors. Already have two 141 GRB characters in Hulk and Punisher. It really is a shame his green wasn't yellow
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    According to my math with his Flame Jet with a tile maxing out at 231 dmg per AP, and you can't do more than 2083 per turn with the ability, that means you have to have 9+ tiles out and 9 AP to max out the damage, or 5 tiles and enough Black for Hood to go off Twice with Intimidation, yeah, I think 5/5/3 is the best build
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Being the sucker for theme that I am, I decided to give some thought about how well the Storm siblings play together.

I think IW could actually be a good support character for Torch. Her force bubbles can help keep those attack tiles and countdown tiles alive, while Invisibility can keep opponents from targeting your glass cannon.

On the other hand, Torch doesn't exactly make IW more playable. Since Flame Jet eats green and Inferno depletes blue and yellow, it's going to be even harder to get those already pricey abilities into play.

What I did realize, though, is that thematically this is kind of a cool fit: you have IW being the protective sister trying to look after her brother, and Torch being a pain in the backside for his sis and making her job harder by showing off. I don't know if this is something intentional, but if it is, well done.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the Human Torch pairs best with his best friend in the comics, Spider-Man
  • I don't know, if you think lvl5 magnetic translocation is viable, surely Torch's lvl5 flame jet is viable under the same premise.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    According to my math with his Flame Jet with a tile maxing out at 231 dmg per AP, and you can't do more than 2083 per turn with the ability, that means you have to have 9+ tiles out and 9 AP to max out the damage, or 5 tiles and enough Black for Hood to go off Twice with Intimidation, yeah, I think 5/5/3 is the best build

Do you really need the best-case scenario, though? Say you activate the ability when you have 10 green AP - Is "only" doing ~2700 damage over the next three turns with the potential to do much more if you match green not good enough?
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I took Human Torch into the Prologue to try him out, and he got killed by flamethrowers.

It might be good to add Immunity to a few characters. Human Torch should be immune to flame damage.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    I took Human Torch into the Prologue to try him out, and he got killed by flamethrowers.

It might be good to add Immunity to a few characters. Human Torch should be immune to flame damage.

That's just not right.

I was also thinking that i am not going to look forward to a future PvE node with Torch and two goons feeding him green. flame jets are gonna be mighty annoying in that situation.
  • That's just not right.

I was also thinking that i am not going to look forward to a future PvE node with Torch and two goons feeding him green. flame jets are gonna be mighty annoying in that situation.

That's why I get annoyed by people that constantly call for Spiderman to be nerfed. They're just screwing us all down the road.
  • aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    So this is a bit of a noob question, but wouldn't IW's bubbles 'freeze' HTs attack tiles and flame jet? I agree it would protect them, but I thought it would also render them useless. I don't play IW much, so it probably wouldn't matter, but I just want to make sure I understand her overly priced skills correctly.