*** Sentry (Dark Avengers) ***

Options

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I still don't understand why people are going 4/5/4 when I think Sentry is best served 5/5/3 or 3/5/5, but that's the beauty of it all. My reasoning is as follows.

lvl 3 red to level 4 is just an increase in dmg only increases initial dmg by 341, the number of tiles and dmg from those is the same, as well as team dmg.

the break comes from 4 to 5 as you get extra tiles to destroy and less team dmg.

lvl 3 yellow to level 4 is just an increase in tile strenght by 66, but lvl 4 to 5 is an increase of 108 plus less self dmg.

To me it is more cost effective to go 5/5/3 and max dmg out via supernova or go 3/5/5 and max strike tile dmg out while taken reduced self dmg. 4/5/4 while looking good, I think effectively does less dmg than 5/5/3 or 3/5/5

unless there is a stealth dmg upgrade the character stats are wrong
    the upgrade from lvl 3 to 4 is only initial dmg not tile dmg

Well in my case it is just because these were the covers I got icon_razz.gif

I want to respec, but I though it was preferable to have the 13 covers and got Sentry to 166 than wait till I got the yellow cover I really want. My preferable build is 3/5/5
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wait.. Sorry i know this has been asked before. So the strike title(s) damage doesn't count into world rupture's damage ? Its only the initial 1st time ? I am getting a bit blur on it. Cause the countdown goes away one after another, so i presume every time one goes off, its taken into account the strike tiles damage ?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hannybal wrote:
    Wait.. Sorry i know this has been asked before. So the strike title(s) damage doesn't count into world rupture's damage ? Its only the initial 1st time ? I am getting a bit blur on it. Cause the countdown goes away one after another, so i presume every time one goes off, its taken into account the strike tiles damage ?

The damage of the strike tiles is taken into account EVERY time. (Exactly the same for shields)

Example: One strike tile of 40, and three countdown of 120 does 120+40+120+40+120+40 = 3*(120+40) = 480

Phaserhawk wrote:

Now I do beleive the way Supernova is triggerd for damage, is that the intial damage goes, which triggers strike tiles. Then the tile destruction dmg occurs triggering strike tiles again.

3/5/5
    Sacrifice for 1112 self dmg, 575 strike tile, casting Supernova I hit enemy for (1186 + 575) + (1554 + 575) = 3890 dmg to enemy team and 1246 to my team and 2358 to Sentry

Are you sure of this? I think that when using Supernova you have to add strike tiles damage just once. I think this damage happens simultaneously. I don't know for sure because I never use Super nova but I think it works this way.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Hannybal wrote:
    Yes, World Rupture (green ability) triggers strike tile individually for each countdown tile.

Phaserhawk is talking about Supernova (red ability) above.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Hannybal wrote:

The damage of the strike tiles is taken into account EVERY time. (Exactly the same for shields)

Example: One strike tile of 40, and three countdown of 120 does 120+40+120+40+120+40 = 3*(120+40) = 480

Phaserhawk wrote:

Now I do beleive the way Supernova is triggerd for damage, is that the intial damage goes, which triggers strike tiles. Then the tile destruction dmg occurs triggering strike tiles again.

3/5/5
    Sacrifice for 1112 self dmg, 575 strike tile, casting Supernova I hit enemy for (1186 + 575) + (1554 + 575) = 3890 dmg to enemy team and 1246 to my team and 2358 to Sentry

Are you sure of this? I think that when using Supernova you have to add strike tiles damage just once. I think this damage happens simultaneously. I don't know for sure because I never use Super nova but I think it works this way.

No I am not sure about the Supernova. But after watching the amount of dmg I am doing I can only be doing that kind of dmg with strike tiles, but after playing again, I think they only count once. It's hard to tell because pairing him with Daken Supernova destroys all the red tiles. So if it indeed is (initial dmg + strike tiles) + (tile dmg + strike tiles) I'm not sure since all my red tiles blow up thus not netting me any strike tile dmg.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have a level 127. When (what level) do you think he is viable for defense?
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sentry will never be as scary as Thor on defense because World Rupture requires Sacrifice or a bunch of other strike tiles to hurt significantly. WR by itself shakes up the board quite a bit but barring any huge cascades it doesn't do too much damage.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Sentry will never be as scary as Thor on defense because World Rupture requires Sacrifice or a bunch of other strike tiles to hurt significantly. WR by itself shakes up the board quite a bit but barring any huge cascades it doesn't do too much damage.
    For full wins maybe, but in terms of dealing damage, he's a lot more of a threat. You can usually neutralize LT before he can get a Y or G off, but less than 3 matches is not very easy to deny, and even if they aren't combo-ed, a WR or sacrifice alone are each probably going to make you need to use a medpack
  • Unknown
    Options
    Call the Storm costs the same as 2 World Ruptures. If you survived 2 World Ruptures with Daken on the same team you should be considered as very lucky, while Call the Storm is most certainly not an instant team kill even though it's likely to take at least one guy out. If you only have the 2 strike tiles created by the last green match that allowed you to use World Rupture and you fire off 10 CDs successfully you're still looking at close to 3K to the whole team.

Damage from Sacrifice piles up very quickly too. If there's not placed on an imminent yellow match 3, you could be taking quite a beating.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    Options
    I guess I should have added that I would put him on a team with a full Daken.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I used a Sacrifice-enhanced World Rupture on enemy classic Storm, got wiped immediately and deservedly icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    locked wrote:
    I used a Sacrifice-enhanced World Rupture on enemy classic Storm, got wiped immediately and deservedly icon_e_biggrin.gif

I remember doing a Berserker Rage on Storm and that didn't go well either.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    locked wrote:

I remember doing that and feeling really stupid.
  • Spoit
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    locked wrote:

I was like, I didn't think the whole team was under 50%, and then I was like OOOOOOOHHHHH
  • Unknown
    Options
    Is there any reason to go 5/5/3 (r/g/y) rather than 3/5/5 with Sentry? Just reading the numbers, it seems like the yellow strike is pretty crazy strong already at 3, and the combination of complete enemy team damage increase, and your team damage decrease from boosting red 3->5 might be worthwhile.
  • Unknown
    Options
    vayhle wrote:
    Is there any reason to go 5/5/3 (r/g/y) rather than 3/5/5 with Sentry? Just reading the numbers, it seems like the yellow strike is pretty crazy strong already at 3, and the combination of complete enemy team damage increase, and your team damage decrease from boosting red 3->5 might be worthwhile.

My main objection to the red is that is always ends the turn and always shakes up the board. Those two combined means I'd probably never use it except as a finishing move, because it's too likely to set up something for the AI to take advantage of. I think I've literally never used his red.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    vayhle wrote:

In theory. You can do more overall damage with a Maxed Supernova. But to me its a cleanup ability, and at level 3 it's pretty dang effective. Sentry is best when you max out 2 of his 3 skills, the reason being the damage reduction on the level 5's is quite nice. If you always pair him with Daken, you can probably get away with a 5/5/3 build as you won't really need the Sacrifice as often, however I think 3/5/5 offers more flexibility since you can go solo with a WR/Sac combo and cleanup with Supernova. Of all the possible builds for Sentry, those that max World Rupture are the strongest and will do the most damage, so weather you go 5/5/3, 4/5/4, or 3/5/5 you are going to be doing top notch damage. But of those 3 IMO the best are
    3/5/5
    5/5/3
    4/5/4
  • Unknown
    Options
    Supernova only seems inadequate because it's compared to World Rupture, a skill that's considered the staple of P2W in the top end of PvP. Supernova is quite good even with its 'ends the turn' restriction, but it's not World Rupture. Sacrifice automatically gets maxed just because of its ability to instantly put away a game when used with World Rupture.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Supernova is basically Rage of the Panther. They are roughly the same cost and both have a draw back. Rage gives AP and Supernova does self dmg and ends turn. Of the Costs I prefer Supernova's just for the fact if you can't kill someone with it the first turn, but can with match damage the following turn. At least you generally won't be eating an ability like you do with Rage of the Panther.
  • Spoit
    Options
    Supernova is not bad, but with how much it costs, the AI will never use it for you. Whereas even if it gets matched quickly, and isn't used with world rupture, sacrifice HURTS