*** Sentry (Dark Avengers) ***

Options

Comments

• yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So as I continue the long climb to the pantheon of 3* heaven, I find my Sentry softcapped at 3/3/2 and helpfully (not), I get a red.

I like to follow the forums and try and build my characters to their "recommended" build (my Punisher is at 3/1/2 and I sold two blacks long ago and also got rid of a 3rd IM40 yellow).

I am not in a super rush, I am content (enough - well not really, but what can i do) to wait for the "right" covers.

Is it ok to sell my Red Sentry and stay on 3? Or should I always use the covers and then one day respec? Tempted though to use whatever Patch covers I get (he's currently on 3/1/3).
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    yogi_ wrote:
    So as I continue the long climb to the pantheon of 3* heaven, I find my Sentry softcapped at 3/3/2 and helpfully (not), I get a red.

I like to follow the forums and try and build my characters to their "recommended" build (my Punisher is at 3/1/2 and I sold two blacks long ago and also got rid of a 3rd IM40 yellow).

I am not in a super rush, I am content (enough - well not really, but what can i do) to wait for the "right" covers.

Is it ok to sell my Red Sentry and stay on 3? Or should I always use the covers and then one day respec? Tempted though to use whatever Patch covers I get (he's currently on 3/1/3).

Use and respec later. Sentry is usable even with the "wrong" build, so you want to be able to level him.
  • Unknown
    Options
    yogi_ wrote:
    Unless you're dealing with a cover that actually does something bad, like IM40's yellow making it more expensive, there's really no reason not to use the covers you get and respec later. At least you'll be able to level them up and use them, even if it's not the perfect build. Patch's green is a good example of one that might require a little thought though, because 5 green can make him difficult to use depending on what you're trying to do with him and who you're using him with *co-CMags-ugh*. But for Sentry's red, going to 4 covers just makes it do more damage, so what the hell.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thankyou both. I'll put the red on.

Ironically, I actually will have to work out what to do with Patch soon as I have a green reward coming up for the Season progress and might get another green from the current PvP. And no, CMags is even more lowly covered, so not usable.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    5/5/3 is the best build. If you are using Sentry it is for defense. Maxing out his yellow then hoping the AI will be competent in placing it is a pretty big long shot, and not worth it compared to red. The AI cannot mess up his red or green, making it hands down his best build.
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    My only issue with Supernova isn't the skill itself, it's just that the dmg output at lvl 5 isn't all that much more than lvl 4 or 5. You have to have 9 tiles out to max it. So if there are 7 or less red tiles on the board, all you get over lvl 4 is the dmg reduction, and all you get over level 3 is the dmg reduction plus an extra 400 dmg. Experimenting with Sacrifce more, that is lethal unto itself

It is here where people lose focus. 3/5/5 is a great offensive build because you can use yellow then green for a great combo. However he is a defensive character, not offensive, due to his self infliction. This means 5/5/3 allows the AI to use your character much more effectively. Let's face it, it is extremely unlikely AI will use yellow then green for a perfect combo. In fact you will be lucky the AI or player doesn't match (or destroy in some way) the yellow strike tile instantly destroying it. I would say the chances of this happening is much higher than not having enough red on the board for Supernova to devastate the enemy.

With the new Buff to BP it really depends on who you play with. If you use BP or Ldaken with Sentry 5 in red is perfect as you don't ncessaraly need sacrafice. If you don't have another strike tile generator 3,5,5 is a better build. I personally believe either build will let you instant kill or close to it with world rupture, and you are probably bringing on another cover with a stong ability to finish off the rest of the team.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    5/5/3 is the best build. If you are using Sentry it is for defense. Maxing out his yellow then hoping the AI will be competent in placing it is a pretty big long shot, and not worth it compared to red. The AI cannot mess up his red or green, making it hands down his best build.
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    My only issue with Supernova isn't the skill itself, it's just that the dmg output at lvl 5 isn't all that much more than lvl 4 or 5. You have to have 9 tiles out to max it. So if there are 7 or less red tiles on the board, all you get over lvl 4 is the dmg reduction, and all you get over level 3 is the dmg reduction plus an extra 400 dmg. Experimenting with Sacrifce more, that is lethal unto itself

It is here where people lose focus. 3/5/5 is a great offensive build because you can use yellow then green for a great combo. However he is a defensive character, not offensive, due to his self infliction. This means 5/5/3 allows the AI to use your character much more effectively. Let's face it, it is extremely unlikely AI will use yellow then green for a perfect combo. In fact you will be lucky the AI or player doesn't match (or destroy in some way) the yellow strike tile instantly destroying it. I would say the chances of this happening is much higher than not having enough red on the board for Supernova to devastate the enemy.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

With the new Buff to BP it really depends on who you play with. If you use BP or Ldaken with Sentry 5 in red is perfect as you don't ncessaraly need sacrafice. If you don't have another strike tile generator 3,5,5 is a better build. I personally believe either build will let you instant kill or close to it with world rupture, and you are probably bringing on another cover with a stong ability to finish off the rest of the team.

The problem is you only have a 50/50 chance the AI will cast Battleplan over Sacrifice. Here's my other issue. base dmg from lvl 3 Supernova to Lvl 5 is 400. That's it, sure you save 225 dmg on your other guys, but that's not a lot. In addition the tile explosion dmg is only going to do more dmg IF you have more than 7 red out. If you are spending time matching red the odds of you have more than 7 are low. So while lvl 5 Supernova is better, it's not that much better than it's lvl 4 or 3 incarnation. But I think the real question is how much overkill if any is the Sacrifice strike tile.
  • Been ripping through teams in this Patch PVP with World Rupture. Love Sentry now!
  • For quick, shield-hopping pvp use, I can understand sentry's appeal. However, in pve events like the current Deadpool one where there are so many nodes, the amount of damage he does to my roster with every world ruptere makes me cringe. As if the npc's in this event don't chew up my roster enough without help from him....
  • "&#91 wrote: »
    "]For quick, shield-hopping pvp use, I can understand sentry's appeal. However, in pve events like the current Deadpool one where there are so many nodes, the amount of damage he does to my roster with every world ruptere makes me cringe. As if the npc's in this event don't chew up my roster enough without help from him....
    I'll throw him into the mix in PvE if there's a node I just don't like the look of. For the first Deadpool sub it was the Patch/Punisher one I just didn't feel like dealing with. Tossed in Sentry/Daken with The Hulk just to soak some damage and bombed them out a couple times. But I agree, unless you really want to burn some health packs Sentry isn't a practical character for any sustained activity.

Incidentally, taking him into any fight where protect tiles might be flying around is asking for trouble. I ran CMags up against the Sentry/Daken node in the second Deadpool sub, dropped a couple blue protect tiles over Daken's strikes the turn before World Rupture went off and they took more damage from it than I did.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This last PvE I had to resort to Sentry while fighting Doom and Daken. The reason being is that he will blow up their special tiles with Supernova and a high level Doom throwing out demons is not good for the life of any team.
  • Thugpatrol wrote:
    Incidentally, taking him into any fight where protect tiles might be flying around is asking for trouble. I ran CMags up against the Sentry/Daken node in the second Deadpool sub, dropped a couple blue protect tiles over Daken's strikes the turn before World Rupture went off and they took more damage from it than I did.

That's how you can counter enemies World Rapture. Throw a few protect tiles out, let WR unleashes. All you can see is -1 -1 -1... on your team, while the enemy team is getting the full impact as there's no way to reduced WR's self inflicted damage as protect tiles only counter opponent's damage.

Btw, even with the current BP fix, I still can't see how 5 red is any good. Ending the turn prematurely to me is a big drawback. Unless it's fixed like hood's 5 yellow, it doesn't get more damage or higher modifier, just remove the clause "end the turn".
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    "&#91 wrote: »
    "]For quick, shield-hopping pvp use, I can understand sentry's appeal. However, in pve events like the current Deadpool one where there are so many nodes, the amount of damage he does to my roster with every world ruptere makes me cringe. As if the npc's in this event don't chew up my roster enough without help from him....
    I was able to beat all 9 of the replayable nodes in Deadpool vs. Villains one time each using Sentry, Daken and Patch. Only needed one health pack. World Rupture doesn't cause nearly as much self-damage as people seem to think--especially if you purposefully match a few Countdown tiles if you know you have more than enough.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    "&#91 wrote: »
    I was able to beat all 9 of the replayable nodes in Deadpool vs. Villains one time each using Sentry, Daken and Patch. Only needed one health pack. World Rupture doesn't cause nearly as much self-damage as people seem to think--especially if you purposefully match a few Countdown tiles if you know you have more than enough.
    Yeah, it's the sacrifice that takes a lot of health
  • russreid91
    russreid91 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I haven't used Sentry a whole lot but thought that I would have seen this before. I was in a match and I believe that I used the Sentry World Rupture TU and not Sentry himself. The first couple of tiles went off and ended up killing the entire other team. However then they kept going off doing damage to me instead of stopping when the other team was dead. It wasn't a huge issue because it was a low level World Rupture but I would have been upset if it had really hurt my team as well.

Is this supposed to happen and if not has anybody else seen it happen?

Thank you,

Russ
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, that's what it does.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    So since Supernova is confirmed to proc Captain Marvel's Energy Absorption, I decided to try out other characters' using 3 red Supernova.

Hulk definitely gives anger tile.
    CStorm's Raging Tempest did not proc.

I don't have black Deadpool, so can someone try it out?

Why do Hulk's and Captain Marvel's passives get triggered but not CStorm's? Ok it probably shouldn't otherwise Supernova + Tempest would be quite OP.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Options
    hurcules wrote:
    So since Supernova is confirmed to proc Captain Marvel's Energy Absorption, I decided to try out other characters' using 3 red Supernova.

Why do Hulk's and Captain Marvel's passives get triggered but not CStorm's? Ok it probably shouldn't otherwise Supernova + Tempest would be quite OP.
    It procs at 20%. Supernova's self damage is literally 19% of Storms health. Be careful with Black Deadpool as it may cause him to take 2 hits like it would a team using Hawkeye (Modern).
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    hurcules wrote:

It procs at 20%. Supernova's self damage is literally 19% of Storms health. Be careful with Black Deadpool as it may cause him to take 2 hits like it would a team using Hawkeye (Modern).
    I took my 1 cover Deadpool to test along with CStorm. L166 3 red Supernova took Deadpool from 1760 down to 700+ HP but Tempest did not trigger.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Options
    hurcules wrote:
    hurcules wrote:

I took my 1 cover Deadpool to test along with CStorm. L166 3 red Supernova took Deadpool from 1760 down to 700+ HP but Tempest did not trigger.
    Would half of that be considered 20%? My testing with Avoid and Hulk would suggest that it's considered two separate hits since it gives 2 anger tiles with Avoid.