*** Sentry (Dark Avengers) ***

Comments

• The difference with Sacrifice and without Sacrifice is huge to WR. 16 tiles and 8 tiles are going to both lose about 3 tiles in the 3 turn CD (if you don't push Intimidation). The 16 might lose 4 or 5, so you are looking at 11+ hits on the strike tile vs 6-8 for 5 WR vs 3. For arguments sake (and since Sentry can't win in 4 turns anymore) lets say a 3 cover WR gets 8 and a 5 cover WR gets 11 (you could hold onto the green a couple turns and churn the center of the board to be semi rainbow in configuration). 3 greenflag.png / 5 yellowflag.png then does ~150x8 + 571*8 = 5768 team damage. 5 greenflag.png /3 yellowflag.png does 11*182 + 11*~361 = ~5973 team damage. Less than 5% difference. That's in the absolute best case for 3 green tho, vs a pretty bad case for 5 green. Against some of the newly covered 5/3/5 Sentry AI I have faced various places I've been able to clear 5-8 of his tiles pretty easily most times.

The team damage is negligible compared to the output, I'm not worried about that for a 3 to 5 comparison. The layout of the CDs your turnover can easily be >50%, which is still a pretty good argument for 5 green.

Of course the strike.png has it's own merits, and a 500 strength strike tile can be extremely valuable. My Sentry is currently 4/5/4 and I have no real plans to change that soon.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    For raw damage 5 green/yellow is still superior but its pathetic. I find that only a handful of tiles go off, 2 or 3 with 3 covers and maybe 5 or 6 with 5 (without Hood accelerating). You mostly want 5 red because it can be so punishing on defense.
  • World Rupture has too much of a variance and unless you're feeling lucky or this is your only method to deal with very high level nodes, the consistency of Sacrifice/Supernova is better. It's not as good as World Rupture on the upper end of possible damage, but World Rupture fizzles out very easily. I have it at level 3 and sometimes I have only 2 CDs left by the time it resolves, so even if you double that for level 5 that's still only 4. Sometimes I could have 6 out of 8 intact too, but those are rare situations. While the extra 8 CDs are probably slightly safer (they're on the corners, harder to match in general) it's probably not enough to deviate from a linear extrapolation.
  • WR is only good against goons. Period. The AI doens't 'avoid' the CD tiles of WR like it does other special tiles, and honestly, with the long --- countdown, it makes it harder on YOU to make matches, not have cascades, and you can't do attacks with board shake-up.

I REALLY like the idea of Sentry & KK, damn wish I thought of that, not just the use of green, but hell, healing Sentry right after a sacrifice automatically is a NICE bonus...
    - Unreall
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    WR is only good against goons. Period. The AI doens't 'avoid' the CD tiles of WR like it does other special tiles, and honestly, with the long --- countdown, it makes it harder on YOU to make matches, not have cascades, and you can't do attacks with board shake-up.

I REALLY like the idea of Sentry & KK, damn wish I thought of that, not just the use of green, but hell, healing Sentry right after a sacrifice automatically is a NICE bonus...
    - Unreall

In Nefarious Foes, Sentry, KK, Mystique got me a personal record of defensive wins!
  • jjfyahpowah
    jjfyahpowah Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Sentry,
    Should be a significant character, but suffered from a brutal nerf bat beating..

Slightly inspired by Carnage that makes chaos fun and self harm acceptable.

Keep it simple.. Sentry is Superman in a different cape, would he hurt himself carrying out his attacks? No.
    How do you represent this in game? Allow his attacks to harm the team but not himself, therefore he should be the last man standing.

Opinions in 5, 4, 3..
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    You typed Hyperion wrong.
  • Sentry seems just about right now. Uber powerful but cripplingly indecisive. Takes forever to do anything. Can't control himself well when he does. Appropriate.
  • Quarg321 wrote:
    Sentry seems just about right now. Uber powerful but cripplingly indecisive. Takes forever to do anything. Can't control himself well when he does. Appropriate.

Not really Uber powerful enough, honestly.
  • Quarg321 wrote:
    Sentry seems just about right now. Uber powerful but cripplingly indecisive. Takes forever to do anything. Can't control himself well when he does. Appropriate.

Not really Uber powerful enough, honestly.
    This.

I don't care about the self and team dmg, he should be an offensive JUGGERNAUT, his red needs to either do mroe dmg to make it scarier, or his green needs to be adjusted to be useful, cut CD tile nonsense, and turn it into a massive board shake up move akin to MNM's blue attack, punches the center doing X dmg, and the shockwave pattern destroys all tiles in pattern (think of GSBW green, but continually outward). Dmg can be minimal, but the cascades would be huge, and his ability to destroy special tiles would make him usable again, all the while working with the idea of him being able to go toe to toe with WW Hulk (who still needs a 4*).

He should be an iWin button that you can only pull out every so often, or 'earth shattering'...especially since he tore Carnage in half...being able to clear those tiles sounds like legitness *har har I made a funny* to me...
    - Unreall
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    SSentry is Superman in a different cape

let me go full geek, and point out that Sentry is a watered-down version of Miracleman (introduced when Marvel didn't have the rights to the character) much more than a cheap copy of Superman.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    VS Carnage
    1313637-asvscarn.jpg

VS Ares
    2214290-ares_vs_sentry.jpg
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    At the very least, his moves should actually be better than BP's for the same number of matches, given the self damage
  • so does sentry's build matter anymore?
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    raisinbman wrote:
    so does sentry's build matter anymore?

At this point not really other than 5/3/5 probably being the best build for team nuking and defense, otherwise no one really cares until he gets a buff. Would be nice if he was reworked to tone down on the self+team damage like making supernova stun him for 2 turns on use and only stuns for 1 turn at rank 5 and so on.
  • Is Sentry even worth rostering now?

My roster: https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/DonQuavious/
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Is Sentry even worth rostering now?

Only value sentry has is very occasional PvE or just an alternate way to get red hulk covers by champing.

Basically still garbage.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Is Sentry even worth rostering now?

I'm still thinking the same I have him, but thinking seriously if replacing with 3 QS covers
  • Jaclark21
    Jaclark21 Posts: 6
    I think his yellowflag.png should actually be blackflag.png & that it should read something like blackflag.png 11: Sentry has seen enough. He tears an opponent from the battlefield completely, but then has to recover his sense of self. Target enemy is downed, & Sentry is stunned for 5 turns.

The cost and amount of stunned turns could be fiddled with to balance him, but I would believe that this would make him scary enough to always keep an eye on in a match (which is in keeping with his comic power level - which was too powerful to keep around, on a regular basis).
  • 5am
    5am Posts: 3
    I think it would be better if he stunned them for 11 ap, and then the power changed to cost 0 ap and only down the enemy if they were stunned this turn, and then change back.

This would avoid meeting sentry down boss characters, (as well as silver surfer, but an ss buff wouldn't be that bad an idea) while still giving him that ability to annihilate a character.