*** Sentry (Dark Avengers) ***

Options

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Inarius wrote:
    do all those shattered red tiles get the bonus from the sacrifice strike tile
    No, just once.
  • dfields3710
    dfields3710 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So only one red tile is affected than all 9!!! That's stupid.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So only one red tile is affected than all 9!!! That's stupid.

Yeah! And when you make a match-3, Strike tiles only count one tile instead of doing damage for all 3! So Stupid!!!
  • dfields3710
    Options
    Hi I'm no gimmicks you may know me from other posts and/or comments.

It came to my attention that if you use Sentry's yellowflag.png before you use his redflag.png or greenflag.png that the strike tiles only deal damage for one tile! Clearly this has to be a mistake because Supernova and World Rupture are strike attacks and when you do strike attacks it should count for that current attack. Can somebody please explain who has a maxed Sentry at 5/5/3 or 3/5/5. I have but he is at 1/1/0. I do plan on getting his yellow and just buying the rest of his covers at 5/5/3.
    But can someone explain this to me. Please! I know he old school and nerfed useless but he is my favorite character and I need to know if this true.

Thankx for reading and commenting.
  • Arondite
    Options
    Hi I'm no gimmicks you may know me from other posts and/or comments.

It came to my attention that if you use Sentry's yellowflag.png before you use his redflag.png or greenflag.png that the strike tiles only deal damage for one tile! Clearly this has to be a mistake because Supernova and World Rupture are strike attacks and when you do strike attacks it should count for that current attack. Can somebody please explain who has a maxed Sentry at 5/5/3 or 3/5/5. I have but he is at 1/1/0. I do plan on getting his yellow and just buying the rest of his covers at 5/5/3.
    But can someone explain this to me. Please! I know he old school and nerfed useless but he is my favorite character and I need to know if this true.

Thankx for reading and commenting.

Red doesn't, and shouldn't, deal damage per each tile destroyed. Only one "damage" is dealt (all the tiles are destroyed and a total is calculated, then added to the base damage, then dealt to the enemy), therefore it only interacts with the strike tile once. To better understand this, think about making a match-3. Each tile deals a certain amount of damage when destroyed by a specific character, and 3 are being destroyed so those numbers are added together. Then, if you have any strike tiles, they are added one time to that total, rather than once per tile destroyed.

Green does, and should, deal damage per each tile destroyed, as each tile is an individual countdown tile, sparking it's own individual "damage event". If one of the tiles is accelerated or delayed or has it's color changed, it will still deal its damage when the countdown expires. They may go off on the same turn and in rapid succession, but they don't trigger as one, so they trigger the strike tile individually.

Hope that helps.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's still 3914 damage before strike tiles. Sentry's adds another 571 to that with yellow. That's not that much but think for a moment what could happen with Mutant Revolutionary or Hulk-Proof + Overdrive. Also, you only need 6 tiles to refund 5 red back from Captain Marvel. Red generation can get pretty crazy now.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arondite's answer was spot-on, but in order to really help you, someone needs to grab you by the lapels, shake vigorously, and beg you to reconsider this idea of buying Sentry covers...
  • dfields3710
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Arondite's answer was spot-on, but in order to really help you, someone needs to grab you by the lapels, shake vigorously, and beg you to reconsider this idea of buying Sentry covers...

I may not buys his covers though I do wanna max level him
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    Options
    It's still 3914 damage before strike tiles. Sentry's adds another 571 to that with yellow. That's not that much but think for a moment what could happen with Mutant Revolutionary or Hulk-Proof + Overdrive. Also, you only need 6 tiles to refund 5 red back from Captain Marvel. Red generation can get pretty crazy now.
    Good combo ideas, I hadn't used Sentry in so long I had forgotten about him. Maybe it's time to dust him off and see what he can do -- Hulkbuster seems like an ideal teammate, since his blue generates red and his black adds strikes as well as generates red AP.

Of course, that's very team damaging, so it's probably not a great long-term combo. And it might be better to just use Hulkbuster's red, depending on the situation. But it could be a fun defensive team.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    when they rerun the sentry pve event there is a red cover up for grabs at the end. but sentry got nerfed hard there are better heroes to focus on.
  • dfields3710
    Options
    Heartburn wrote:
    when they rerun the sentry pve event there is a red cover up for grabs at the end. but sentry got nerfed hard there are better heroes to focus on.

I know about thunderbolt mountain. That's how I got his first red. Then DDQ gave me his green and in 2 weeks get his yellow. I know he's done for but he's my favorite marvel character so I have to max him out of respect. I do prioritize other characters I need RnG to complete my Guardians of the Galaxy. I have everybody from the Avengers even IM40. I have hulkbuster. I am really tryna get most of characters anyway tho.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You should have seen him in his glory days... Nowadays he's been reduced to a L'Oréal testimonial.

On a side note, Sentry and R&G will get along quite well.
  • dfields3710
    Options
    Rico Dredd wrote:
    You should have seen him in his glory days... Nowadays he's been reduced to a L'Oréal testimonial.

I seen him in his glory days on YouTube and he actually did what his character looks like he supposed to do. Now he's alright.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rico Dredd wrote:

I seen him in his glory days on YouTube and he actually did what his character looks like he supposed to do. Now he's alright.

He and Quicksilver are the worst 3*'s. Vision may end up joining them.
  • dfields3710
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    Rico Dredd wrote:

Probably but I would still use him.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yep, sentrys only use is now as cannon fodder in pve. He went on to star in YouTube videos? That's neat.

On a side note, the forums should have a character discussion sub-forum with maybe threads dedicated to each specific character. Is the a suggestion sub-forum where I can suggest that?
  • Arondite
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    Rico Dredd wrote:

Vision is leagues better than Quicksilver, lol.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Can someone give me a good team to fit sentry in and what his best build would be on that team.pls and thx
    I use Sentry for two purposes...
    tough PvE node where I just need to push all my chips into the pile
    or
    PvP defense (before boosted characters)

For PvP, I typically try and pair him with a heavy hitter like Thor or Steve Rogers or Patch, someone who isn't scary by themselves, but when someone has to choose between two evils...letting Sentry get Supernova off will ruin your day via healthpacks - or you can can Sentry, but have to deal with 3hor building up a charge, or Cap swinging that shield around. Depending on flexability, I'll do Patch/Laken/Sentry - its a solid climbing team as Patch and Daken can take the hits and regen it. With his new yellow XF/Sentry would be scary too, any yelloow collection by the computer on defense is a scary situation, but at the same time, they can't let you get black or red.

For PvE I pull him out when its a stupid hard node, so the whole point is to get SuperNova off, a couple times, buffed. So usually Sentry/Hood/Patch. Patch 'just in case', and he heals to help out. If they have a super hard hitting move like say a lvl 200+ Ares, then I will switch patch out for more health, usually in the form of Thor.
    - Unreall
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have ran numbers up and down, 5/5/3 does most theoretical dmg, but you have to get World Rupture to go off. Assuming you got the WR/Sac combo

5/5/3--avg 5177
    5/4/4--avg 4333
    5/3/5--avg 4324

That's assuming a decay rate and not all tiles being placed, etc. as you can see 5/5/3 does about 800 more AoE, now if you factor in the loss of dmg from Supernova it comes down to about 600 less AoE over 5/3/5 assuming you went all out, that's it. 5/4/4 is a bad investment, however, how often has anyone really used World Rupture anymore?

To me 5/3/5 is more practical while not as strong theoretically. I'm curious to try Sentry and KK she can use the green almost as well and the sac tile will make it hurt that much more
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I have ran numbers up and down, 5/5/3 does most theoretical dmg, but you have to get World Rupture to go off. Assuming you got the WR/Sac combo

5/5/3--avg 5177
    5/4/4--avg 4333
    5/3/5--avg 4324

That's assuming a decay rate and not all tiles being placed, etc. as you can see 5/5/3 does about 800 more AoE, now if you factor in the loss of dmg from Supernova it comes down to about 600 less AoE over 5/3/5 assuming you went all out, that's it. 5/4/4 is a bad investment, however, how often has anyone really used World Rupture anymore?

To me 5/3/5 is more practical while not as strong theoretically. I'm curious to try Sentry and KK she can use the green almost as well and the sac tile will make it hurt that much more

So the difference is very short, and if you go 5/5/3 you suffer more damage in your own team when you fire WR (sacrifice is the same with 3 or 5 covers).

I went 5/5/3 after the nerf, because I wanted WR to be good on its own, but I have just recently won two yellow covers and I am seriously considering changing to 5/3/5. When I play Sentry I usually use sacrifice at least once, maybe twice, WR on the other hand I play it sometimes, and I loose a lot of the countdown tiles. So I think now is better to go for the duo Supernova+Sacrifice than WR+Sacrifice, but I am still undecided...