World Cup Fever!

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Milkrain wrote:
    Todays group (Japan, Ivory Coast, Greece and Colombia) will be real interesting. I predict:

Japan v Ivory Coast: 2-1
    Colombia v Greece: 1-0
    That's the group I'm looking forward to.
    4 continents in 1 group. totally unexpected results.
    Ivory Coast never played with either Colombia and Greece.
    Greece played with Colombia and Japan only once, 20years ago, and those weren't for points, just a friendly games.
    Japan played with Colombia and Ivory Coast only incidentally.

Not a single game for points between them.

Not to mention I'm a great fan of African' football - they show such a dedication and You can see how happy they are when they play icon_e_smile.gif

And Japan - their physical capabilities are so much different from the people from the Western World.

Yes, this is gonna be fun.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    UKXhXFw.jpg
  • Unknown
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    noobprime wrote:
    Duffman85 wrote:
    The soccer gods punished Spain for that ridiculous flop penalty kick to go up 1-0. He didn't touch him at all!

What do you mean, the Spanish guy clearly stepped on the Dutch guys leg. Clear as day icon_lol.gif

The vid shows Costa is jumping on his stomach deliberately, not because a leg sweep... So it was a played-up fall that should gain him a yellow instead of a penalty shot. Though without playback the ref could not necessarily tell the difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg4dW0CFnx4

Spain quite deserved the divine justice that followed icon_e_wink.gif.

Costa stepped on the dutch guys foot and lost his balance.

To me it seems that once he knows that he's lost his balance and thus his chance to maintain control over the ball he just commits to the fall/dive.

As much as I hate this behaviour in football it's understandable that once another player has caused you to lose control of the situation/ball you seek to get a foul to your advantage.

Before I saw the Costa replay for the 6th time I was convinced that it was a correct penalty call. Luckily it didn't matter as the Dutch recovered.
  • SandsTheMan
    Options
    Milkrain wrote:

Todays group (Japan, Ivory Coast, Greece and Colombia) will be real interesting. I predict:

Japan v Ivory Coast: 2-1
    Colombia v Greece: 1-0

Colombia have another goal in them, and IC will win 2-1 I reckon
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Darn it Colombia, couldn't you have stayed at 2:0?

We're having a betting game in the office and that result would have given me juicy points.

Oh well, at least I had that Chile game right.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They should add a rule that if you're on the ground for more than 10 seconds, you're out of the game. If you've used your three substitutions, too bad. That would at least get rid of the fake injuries.

Not sure about the flops though. In America, people don't flop as blatantly because then you look like a tiny pansy kitty on national TV. Maybe analyze flops on replay after the game and keep track of each country's "flop points". Then seed the playoffs and future tourneys based on the lowest amount of flop points.

Or teach players something like, a baby kitten dies everytime you flop.
  • SandsTheMan
    Options
    Well the Costa Rica result will do nicely!
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hope to see a great match! England Vs Italy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Houtro wrote:

I sure enjoyed the England game. Happy with the score and refereeing was solid.

Japan has taken the lead against Ivory Coast. If the score stays 1-0 then I'll be happy as I've predicted that in a World Cup bet I have going with friends.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Milkrain wrote:
    Houtro wrote:

Japan has taken the lead against Ivory Coast. If the score stays 1-0 then I'll be happy as I've predicted that in a World Cup bet I have going with friends.

Drogba scared them. Also having 5 feet tall defenders doesn't help.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Milkrain wrote:
    Houtro wrote:

And you had to jinx it. I blame you for the loss. icon_twisted.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Milkrain wrote:
    That match was the only one I had right yesterday, after England had to go and lose to Italy (had 1:1 there).

Had the Uruguay score correct, but for the wrong team icon_lol.gif
  • SandsTheMan
    Options
    I'm still confident England will qualify past Uruguay and CR so all's not lost. Solid performance from the 3 lions last night
  • Unknown
    Options
    And tonight's time for the French team to enter the competition. After almost a week of nonsense on TV about the players let us see what they are made of !!
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Thank you for creating this thread. I will be spending more time on here than in game. I love the World Cup, some great games so far. The Dutch beating up on Spain was shocking and wonderful. Ivory Coast stealing a win last night was fun to watch as well. The biggest win for me so far was Columbia...oh and I can't stand Italy, but Balotelli's woman is smoking hot.

fanny.jpg

I am a referee (Grade 7 and NCAA) and I was appalled at the officiating in the first two games. Brazil should have tied 2-2, the Croatian goal called back was the wrong call, and the PK was horrendous. We won't see that official in the center for another game. As for the AR in the Mexico game, just a terrible first half. Neither of those calls were offside, thankfully El Tri were able to put it behind them and get the win.

Go USA!!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Brazil game was as close to a fixed game as it can get. Probably instructions from FIFA to make sure Brazil win it's first game to make its fans happy.

(Take off tinfoil hat)

Now I'm excited to see messi play later. I hope he shines and prove he is a true legend. Without a wc, he will never stand with Maradona.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This 2nd goal for France was made by the goalkeeper, then why they count it to the French guy?

(btw disgusting game, too bad there's no double-DQ in this sport.)

EDIT: by the end of the game it look like reassigned to the correct place so never mind...
  • Unknown
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    This 2nd goal for France was made by the goalkeeper, then why they count it to the French guy?

AFAIK the goalkeeper was given the own goal, Benzema just got the other two goals.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:

EDIT: by the end of the game it look like reassigned to the correct place so never mind...

That's how Honduras plays...they don't have the technical ability and skill of France. (or other countries for that matter) So they play hard and very physical. They beat the **** out of England prior to the World Cup, so much that England complained a little bit. As a USA fan I have seen it from them a few times. But there nowhere near as physical as Egypt or Australia...those two teams will do everything they can to make 90 minutes a nightmare.

Also, Paul Pogba from France is a piece of tiny kitty litter.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    But there nowhere near as physical as Egypt or Australia...those two teams will do everything they can to make 90 minutes a nightmare.
    You just jelly of our mad skillz!

aussie-4.gif

Just kidding, we've got no hope in hell icon_lol.gif