World Cup Fever!

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Yea, I tot the refereeing in la liga was bad. But the World Cup outclass them all. Here is hoping for a good clean match in 20 minutes! Let's go Spain! Let's eat some oranges!
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Malcoran wrote:
    Please tell me we have a South American ref for Spain v. Netherlands I can't deal with these less experienced ones making game-altering decisions.

Fred will be competing on the Brazilian Olympic Diving Team in two years time

And I didn't realize Dos Santos' real name was Dos Bad Offsides Calls.

Youre realizing that we had Colombian referee for Mexico - Cameroon?

Just looked it up Rizzoli from Italy is the ref for Spain v. Netherlands I suspect it will be well officiated as he is an experienced Serie A ref.
  • Unknown
    Options
    IMO the main offender is FIFA here -- they are like D3, want to keep the thing as fuzzy as possible and refused to use video-judge since whatever. I think the demand for that went through the roof when Maradona handed that goal against England. And it was (HJK) almost 3 decades ago.

And we had serious accidents similar to that every single event. Most they bended was the recent goal-checker after that obvious goal anyone with slightest clue about physics could tell without even looking...

The main problem is not even the offsides but the false falls. For the latter they don't even apply player DQs after event. icon_e_sad.gif

The recent misses were not hard to tell from stills but both were really close call without that aid so I'd not run to call the refs blind. Still it's disrupting the game bigtime and would not be hard at all to just use one or two extra pairs of eyes on the feed and help with decisions. When even such traditional and conservative games as snooker use that aid preferring correctness it's a shame football still sticks with the **** and mistakes.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Damn! That was a pretty goal by RVP. Early leader for best goal.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Oscar from yesterday. Period.
  • noobprime
    noobprime Posts: 403
    edited June 2014
    Options

This is a true statement.

That being said, this game (Spain vs Holland) has a fair amount of referee intimidation. I wish they would clean it up a little.
  • SandsTheMan
    Options
    Brazil deserved to win but not by 2.

Mexico's keeper has the save of the tournament already.

Netherlands have ruined my accumulator bet but hey ho!

And this is all just kids in the park stuff until the MIGHTY ENGLAND play tomorrow night!
  • Unknown
    Options
    In chat I was wondering if Mex/Cam are two new characters for MPQ.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wow, what a game.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    In chat I was wondering if Mex/Cam are two new characters for MPQ.
    Came in here expecting a post from you explaining why Netherlands are OP and need to be nerfed.
    Left disappointed.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The soccer gods punished Spain for that ridiculous flop penalty kick to go up 1-0. He didn't touch him at all! Kind of like Brazil's PK yesterday. Someone should literally be bleeding in order to get a PK.

This does not help soccer's campaign to gain popularity in the US at all. I actually heard on Dan Patrick this morning that some commentator said "we have to be careful here, we don't want futbol turning into the NBA"...UH, NO NO NO. Flopping was an epidemic in futbol WAYYYYY before it became a problem in the NBA, and that was mainly from all the damn international players working their way onto the Spurs icon_e_wink.gif
  • noobprime
    noobprime Posts: 403
    Options
    Duffman85 wrote:
    The soccer gods punished Spain for that ridiculous flop penalty kick to go up 1-0. He didn't touch him at all!

What do you mean, the Spanish guy clearly stepped on the Dutch guys leg. Clear as day icon_lol.gif
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spain's tiki-taka is now keke-kaka. lol
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love the World Cup as a global sporting event. The only part I can't stand is watching all the non-US teams flop left and right. Yes there's some flopping in the NBA. But nothing like the baby-crying, I need to go to the hospital, everytime someone gets bumped. Embellishment and blatant time wasting are so annoying.
  • Unknown
    Options
    noobprime wrote:
    Duffman85 wrote:
    The soccer gods punished Spain for that ridiculous flop penalty kick to go up 1-0. He didn't touch him at all!

What do you mean, the Spanish guy clearly stepped on the Dutch guys leg. Clear as day icon_lol.gif

The vid shows Costa is jumping on his stomach deliberately, not because a leg sweep... So it was a played-up fall that should gain him a yellow instead of a penalty shot. Though without playback the ref could not necessarily tell the difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg4dW0CFnx4

Spain quite deserved the divine justice that followed icon_e_wink.gif.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    laoahpeh wrote:
    Yea, I tot the refereeing in la liga was bad. But the World Cup outclass them all. Here is hoping for a good clean match in 20 minutes! Let's go Spain! Let's eat some oranges!

Some days, you eat the orange.

And some days, the orange eats you. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    icon_e_sad.gif

Spanish tiki taka is dead. Pique is slow as tinykitty and this is coming from a Barcelona fan. On the flip side, Robben was unstoppable. Can you imagine that guy is 30?

Iker's amazing fall from grace. He shouldn't be playing given how little match practice he gets all season. De Gea should start next game.
  • Unknown
    Options

And this is all just kids in the park stuff until the MIGHTY ENGLAND play tomorrow night!

Lol, i dont think liverpool can do much without Suarez.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I feel like starting a thread on Brazil/Spain team referee bias, to complement the gender bias thread.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Brazil deserved to win but not by 2.

Mexico's keeper has the save of the tournament already.

Netherlands have ruined my accumulator bet but hey ho!

I can't wait for Joe Hart to mess up again.

Also, in my opinion the Ochoa save (for Mexico) was just for show. Chile's goalie had a good save on a thunderous strike by Bresciano, not the best looking save but that strike had power.

Todays group (Japan, Ivory Coast, Greece and Colombia) will be real interesting. I predict:

Japan v Ivory Coast: 2-1
    Colombia v Greece: 1-0