*** Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) ***

Options

Comments

• Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Demiurge_Will challenged me to play with the new Ragnarok before proclaiming him a failure.
    Well we just finished his PvP where he was buffed so we all have had a chance to play with him.
    Let's give the devs some precious data to work with.
    Pick Ragnarok if you like the new changes and found him fun to play with
    Pick Bagnarok if you think the new buff felt more like they nerfed him a second time.

Edited to add final poll results

Item - Votes - % of Total Votes
    Ragnarok- His new third power and buff makes him useful again - 11 - 7%
    Bagnarok- They nerfed him again! - 145 - 93%
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Moon 17 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    After a year of preaching from NP and Phantron, they are begining to see that hit points matter, thus Rags green can be worse, because he will be around longer than KK to use his skill. In 4* land, I would look to Nick Fury or Devil Dino to see what balance is probably going to be.

I think in the very near future we are going to see lower damaging high health tanks, and higher damaging low health fighters. My only issue with Rags is when you compare him to his clone, the green truly pale in comparison.

The problem with doing this halfway through the game is that new characters will have to meet the standards of characters like 3* Thor and Black Panther. In this case, the comparison to Thor is very appropriate, because both of them are high HP characters with active red and big green aoe nukes. If you're choosing characters out of a line-up and you want a guy with a big HP pool and a big green aoe power, there is just no reason to take Rag over Thor. Giving him a different color scheme helps, but since his blue is almost not a power at all that doesn't really pan out. If his blue had been relevant he would have had a place at the table. Since he doesn't, there's no reason to take him outside of a healthy buff when Thor is available.

So it's all well and good to say that tanks should do less damage, but the history of the game suggests that that's just not quite a rule. If new characters are going to establish that as a rule, they're going to have to be more unique than Rag.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As soon as his event ended I sold him to free up his roster slot to make room for Kamala
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Spidey, Beast, Ragnarok --> Much the way Devs re-evaluated how much charged tiles are worth, it's probably time to go back to the drawing board on the whole "burst of health" thing. Kamala's looks ok but is still clearly the weakest of her 3 colors.

It feels like they're all scaled to when 'true healing' wasn't a thing. Any of those would be considerably more useful under the old rules.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He's garbage lol
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would give you a thumbs up except I see you still leveled him. Did you purchase any covers? If so your poll may fall on deaf ears. What would have been interesting is if all the max roster guys just didn't even bother with him
  • I don't mind if he stays like this, because of the many times he appears in PvE. I'll never use him and he's now someone I can leave for last in PvE. Old Ragnarok was someone I would prioritize because of his cheap powers and the cascades he could cause. Now he's not even a minor annoyance and his charged tiles usually help me instead of his team.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The heal makes him a great tank. He can take a pounding, line up squishy damage dealers behind him.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Felt like a nerf. He was just sort of there in the PvP. Considering his build, level and how much I've used him before the changes, it made it crystal clear to me how bad the changes were. Sold him after the event ended and started a rebuild. Pocketed the HP for now and put the ISO into Cyclops.
  • Leave it to d3p to take one of the worst 3*s, give him 1.5k more health, and leave him worse than before. The only reason I might consider not calling this a nerf is that now he can tank green and actually put his HP to use
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I would give you a thumbs up except I see you still leveled him. Did you purchase any covers? If so your poll may fall on deaf ears. What would have been interesting is if all the max roster guys just didn't even bother with him

Fair enough but I've also maxed Yelena and Bagman too. OCD is a terrible affliction icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • The most sad thing about his nerf (buff), is that it kind of shows the future of charged tiles
    "collect blue and max his skill to get 3 poor tiles that you might not even be able to match!" nope, thanks but i'll pass, sold him right away
    I regret not selling Sentry when i could, their reworks suck and also makes me think IW wont be such a big deal either
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Im tempted to sell him to send a message that he sucks (and their buff/nerfing sucks) but he was the first 3* I used HP for covers on.....
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Without knowing potential new character synergies coming down the pipeline, I have to say they've done a terrible job on Rags. They managed to make him worse than before and he was already near the bottom of the totem pole. Dev's don't get it unless the intent is to make new characters who no one has the covers for better and keep old characters as a weaker fall back since they don't generate income. I'm kind of surprised because they did a great job on Loki, Cmag wasn't as bad as people thought since he has a great pairing with XF instead of patch. Heck even Doom is an improvement although he's still a bit weaker than other options. Clearly they don't know the weight of the nerf stick - evidence by Sentry and Goddess Thor nerfs. People are losing (or have lost) faith in this game and thus the desire to spend anything because their long time investment is just gutted and neutered. Why bother playing hard or spending money when anything slightly better than average will surely be adjusted so no one stands from the pack.

Obviously XF is next (since he's a 4* and 4* should only be 5% better than 3* for their near triple cost)

Then who? Maybe hood should only steal 1 color per turn. Maybe Lthor should stun his own team 4 turns after casting Cots

The only investment worth anything in this game was the characters but when you take that away, why play at all?
  • I can live with him having a lame green aoe nuke...the thing that really makes him feel crippled is that terrible blue. I could live with him feeding an interesting blue with his red to build into a mediocre green...but to have red build into a nonexistent blue that "feeds" a mediocre green...it feels smarter to just have his red feed another blue toon and use his green as the afterthought it seems to be.

I'll use him when he's essential...otherwise it seems there's no point.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    He's another character built by their love of "Data", and not by playing the actual game.
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    sold him b4 the event, didn't have the blue so said f this guy. Dakken event i won a red cover which i was hunting for pre buff(nerf) now i have it for when he is essential or i need to free a slot. how is it we can tell he is bad with out playing but the devs can't? although there is some synergy with 4 thor, blue generation and charge tiles plus a green outlet, the blue gereration uses red(bad), and to generated charge tiles it cost blue (no, bad devs) and don't get me started on his green. seriously,it is over priced, does team damage, and is pair with an unreliable green generator. if his red still made green it might be worth it but there are way better green outlets he can be paired with if that was the case. Overall bad change sold character, plus side got a free roster slot when i need it.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    definitely bagnarok, while its great not to have his cheep abilities spamming every turn in pve, its disappointing that they managed to make him worse than he was before
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The AI can't play him, that's for sure. I always end up with 30 greentile.png AP when I'm fighting him with Patch and AP denying, while waiting for a good time to strike. On the other hand, I doubt the AI will do well fighting against him. He seems like a great self-healing tank if you don't mind a slow match. I used to throw away his covers, but I think I'll keep him now.

Based on the reception he's getting, I'm not expecting many more "buffs" in the future. With a new characters every 2 weeks, I guess that's fine.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Options
    the "ai" just plays him so badly. it priortizes picking blue and and you can just let him hang in the back healing himself over and over despite having taken no damage and let him make charge tiles for you to match. deny him green and hes just a bad joke with a big bag of hp. its kind of nice facing him in pve. better him than pita ares.