10th Anniversary Community Challenge

Options

Comments

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 598 Critical Contributor
    Options

I've completed every challenge thus far, but I'm getting ready for a road trip.

I doubt I have time to complete everything over the next ten days.

Between the driving and camping, and multiple events, I'll try to play each day, but the challenges will likely be missed.

Glad we got the goals completed though. The extra rewards have been nice.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

@bbigler said:
    @Road_Warrior

I’ve heard “catty corner” and “kitty corner”, but I grew up with “kitty corner”

Southeast US it's "catty corner," and it's a funny one. The origin of this phrase is apparently a degredation of the french "quatre," or four, which was a term used to describe the way 4 pips on a die are positioned diagonally from each other. So catty is I guess correctly incorrect. Anyway, back to challenge talk I guess.

What do you call the cross walks that are both across the streets and diagonal?

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 243 Tile Toppler
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

@bbigler said:
    @Road_Warrior

Southeast US it's "catty corner," and it's a funny one. The origin of this phrase is apparently a degredation of the french "quatre," or four, which was a term used to describe the way 4 pips on a die are positioned diagonally from each other. So catty is I guess correctly incorrect. Anyway, back to challenge talk I guess.

From Garner's Modern English Usage again:

catty-corner(ed); kitty-corner(ed); cater-corner(ed). These terms all mean "located at a diagonal." The original phrase, in Middle English, was catre-cornered (literally "four-cornered") - catre deriving from the Latin quattuor. Today the forms arrived at through folk etymology, catty-corner and kitty-corner, are by far the most common. The form cater-corner, the preferred form in most dictionaries, is less common but not at all rare. Its past-participial forms are infrequent enough not to be recommended. Current ratio (kitty-corner vs. catty-corner vs. cater-corner): 29:27:1

So the usage ratio between kitty-corner (51%) vs. catty-corner (47%) is almost identical.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 983 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Phumade said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

@bbigler said:
    @Road_Warrior

We don't have those in Pittsburgh.

• ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options

@MegaBee said:

@Phumade said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

@bbigler said:
    @Road_Warrior

Probably because our streets were laid out haphazardly with many angled intersections and far fewer traditional intersections!

• MegaBee
    Options

@ArchusMonk said:

@MegaBee said:

@Phumade said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

@bbigler said:
    @Road_Warrior

Probably because our streets were laid out haphazardly with many angled intersections and far fewer traditional intersections!

Can't have diagonal crosswalks when your street layout is non-Euclidean!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,198 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Kitty Corner, even if more prevalent, is decidedly further from the word origin and clearly derivative of catty corner, and therefore less correct. I will die on this hill lol.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,300 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Kitty Corner, even if more prevalent, is decidedly further from the word origin and clearly derivative of catty corner, and therefore less correct. I will die on this hill lol.

I thought it was Caddy Corner, and perhaps originated with golf

• Domsouth04
    Domsouth04 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options

Peggy Carter avengers assemble!

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I’m in the Southeast US (Florida) and I’ve heard Kitty-corner 99% of the time here. Catty-corner just sounds weird to me

• Domsouth04
    Domsouth04 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options

Only completed first 2 tasks so far what’s the final requirements please?

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@bbigler said:
    I’m in the Southeast US (Florida) and I’ve heard Kitty-corner 99% of the time here. Catty-corner just sounds weird to me

Reminds me of this nyt quiz. Surprisingly accurate...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

• Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Day 15 Quandries
    1.Make 15 Black matches (get 1.5k iso)
    2.Remove 30 TUs (get 3k iso)
    3.Make 45 Purple matches (get 4.5k iso)
    4.Make 75 Yellow matches (get 7.5k iso)
    5.Make 40 Match-5s (get 4k iso)
    6.Make 195 Purple matches (get 19.5k iso)

• MegaBee
    Options

@Xception81 said:
    Day 15 Quandries
    1.Make 15 Black matches (get 1.5k iso)
    2.Remove 30 TUs (get 3k iso)
    3.Make 45 Purple matches (get 4.5k iso)
    4.Make 75 Yellow matches (get 7.5k iso)
    5.Make 40 Match-5s (get 4k iso)
    6.Make 195 Purple matches (get 19.5k iso)

Trickier with Puzzle Gauntlet closed.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,040 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@bbigler said:

I'm in the midwest (Wisconsin) and I've never heard anything other than kitty corner. I didn't even know there was an alternative.

• grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Options

All I know is that you don’t put Baby in the corner.

• aziraphale
    aziraphale Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options

Huh and here I’ve always heard candy corner

• JediJones77
    JediJones77 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options

This round was as painful, punishing and impoverishing as yesterday's was easy, breezy and rewarding. At least the Nightcrawler infinite trick helps with the last one here. But this is 40,000 Iso for more work compared to over 80,000 Iso the previous day.

Make 15 Black matches. - 1500 Iso
    Remove 30 Team-Ups. - 3000 Iso
    Make 45 Purple matches. - 4500 Iso
    Make 75 Yellow matches. - 7500 Iso
    Make 40 Match-5 matches. - 4000 Iso
    Make 195 Purple matches. - 19500 Iso

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I asked another Florida native yesterday and he said catty-corner. I think I grew up with Kitty-corner because my parents are from Iowa and New Jersey.