• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,205 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@meadowsweet said:
    posthumously
    adverb
    after the death of the person in question
    https://merriam-webster.com/dictionary/posthumously

Person in question: "historical challenges can be done posthumously if you meet the requirements later"

the challenges are here intended to be the target of the adjective, but it's all in good fun

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 672 Critical Contributor
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

@meadowsweet said:
    posthumously
    adverb

Person in question: "historical challenges can be done posthumously if you meet the requirements later"

the challenges are here intended to be the target of the adjective, but it's all in good fun

And today we have theroadwarrior in dictionary corner

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 602 Critical Contributor
    Options

If memory serves:

Posthumous would be the adjective while posthumously the adverb... The first two mentions seemed to reference verbs so could be correct. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

While the official definition only includes references concerning deaths of a person, it's not uncommon for words to communicate things beyond their dictionary meaning.

For example: I often find myself marinating on the causes of topic change within the forum.

Obviously, I'm not food soaked or covered for flavor, but it's an acceptable use of the word "marinating".

Posthumous/posthumously only need an adjective/adverb for the meaning to remain coherent.

I do find it interesting that this anniversary introduced Quandary, who presented several quandaries within the player base, which led to further discussion on use of language.

• raber18
    raber18 Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options

@ThisisClemFandango said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

@meadowsweet said:
    posthumously
    adverb

And today we have theroadwarrior in dictionary corner

Excellent reference. Love countdown

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,180 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Blackstone said:

For example: I often find myself marinating on the causes of topic change within the forum.

Obviously, I'm not food soaked or covered for flavor, but it's an acceptable use of the word "marinating".

I would have gone for "ruminating" rather than "marinating"....

• Domsouth04
    Domsouth04 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options

Literally completed 120 blues before it refreshed blue spamming time!

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

Is there a surer sign of transcendent online message board victory than posting dictionary definitions, pondering participles, and cogitating on other grammatical rules?

Sincerest congratulations to all of you (us?) for winning the internet! That was the true community challenge.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,205 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you have a half formed idea, and you are going to complete its formation, do y'all "flush it out," or do you "flesh it out?" Regionalisms are so interesting to me, particularly all the ones that are "wrong."

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Blackstone said:

I do find it interesting that this anniversary introduced Quandary, who presented several quandaries within the player base, which led to further discussion on use of language.

That's of the most interest.
    And without any doubt there are some sure English Language Knights in the forum.
    However don't forget this is a global game.
    Personally I had my English lessons many decades ago and never used it anymore outside reading comics and watching shows.
    So I think it's pretty understable that I don't care much about the suposed english damage the anniversary could done.
    I have enough with trying to post anything understable.
    With more people who english isn't their mother language like me, imo it's better to save these efforts to forums at least formed by native english users.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bad said:

@Blackstone said:

And without any doubt there are some sure English Language Knights in the forum.
    Personally I had my English lessons many decades ago and never used it anymore outside reading comics and watching shows.
    So I think it's pretty understable that I don't care much about the suposed english damage the anniversary could done.
    With more people who english isn't their mother language like me, imo it's better to save these efforts to forums at least formed by native english users.

And yet you found time to teach people the difference between subjective and objective (sort of?).

I personably am emancipated at the amount of quantifiably elicit secretions that this commune has famished.

Did I do it right?

• Scofie
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:

@Bad said:

@Blackstone said:

And yet you found time to teach people the difference between subjective and objective (sort of?).

I personably am emancipated at the amount of quantifiably elicit secretions that this commune has famished.

Did I do it right?

Subjectively.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Scofie said:

@Daredevil217 said:

@Bad said:

@Blackstone said:

Did I do it right?

Subjectively.

Sounds like a bad case of autocorrupt.

• Bad
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:

Did I do it right?

That was a quote for someone who always quotes my elaborated posts with a single phrase.
    But I find funny that everybody just wanted to jump in that train.

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    If you have a half formed idea, and you are going to complete its formation, do y'all "flush it out," or do you "flesh it out?" Regionalisms are so interesting to me, particularly all the ones that are "wrong."

From Garner's Modern English Usage, 4th Edition:

Flesh out; flush out. To flesh out is to put flesh on bare bones - that is, to move beyond the merest rudiments and to elaborate; to add some nuance and detail. To flush out (probably a hunting metaphor) is to bring something into the open light for examination. Flush out is sometimes misused for flesh out - e.g.: "Both sides say their case was hampered by the disappearance of Anait Zakarian, whom they said they needed to help flush out [read flesh out] some of the details." Tina Daunt, "No Release for Victims," L.A. Times, 16 October 1996, at B1.

• Bad
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:

You seem like a cult person so I almost feel bad for giving you some breaking news: objective and subjective are words which english borrowed from Latin language and come from obiectus latin word, same as subiectus.
    So sadly, there are on other languages and many centuries before than english language.
    Hence I am able to "sort of" tell the difference of these words to other people.

• Scofie
    Options

@Bad said:

@Daredevil217 said:

You seem like a cult person so I almost feel bad for giving you some breaking news: objective and subjective are words which english loaned from Latin language and come from obiectus latin word, same as subiectus.
    So sadly, there are on other languages and many centuries before than english language.
    Hence I am able to "sort of" tell the difference of these words to other people.

Wait until I bring out the hieroglyphs and everyone tries to decipher them as Doop speak...

I find discussions on language really interesting but we're weirdly off topic. I'm going to call it a draw. 🙂

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

I like that English grammar and usage is so complicated and confusing that only native speakers get it right, because that way I can easily spot cheap knock off products on Amazon because the English description is so bad.

It’s also flattering that most countries teach English as a second language.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,303 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Is someone a "Card Shark" or a "Card Sharp"?

Is it "you have another thing coming" or "you have another think coming"?

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@rainkingucd said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Is someone a "Card Shark" or a "Card Sharp"?

Is it "you have another thing coming" or "you have another think coming"?

Card Shark
    You have another thing coming

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Time for dinner, everybody! Bone apple tea!