***** Jeffrey (Symbiote) *****

Options

Comments

• Alex502
    Alex502 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options

I didn't know that about the Clearance Level, good to know. I'm curious, eb, what hard counters are you thinking of? I'm trying to think of a specific example and am missing the mark.

• MrDupaTM
    MrDupaTM Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options

Hey dev team I have 2 ideas for countering Chasm:

1) create a character that stuns the entire enemy team for 5 rounds whenever an enemy tries to stun. Than we can sit there for five days seeing a loop of stun / anti-stun action.

2) just nerf Chasm.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

What Entrail said regarding SCL. You can play SC1 and you will still see 5* if that is your MMR. If you are seeing 5* - PLAY THE HIGHEST SCL AVAILABLE!!!!

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Alex502 said:
    I didn't know that about the Clearance Level, good to know. I'm curious, eb, what hard counters are you thinking of? I'm trying to think of a specific example and am missing the mark.

Tell everyone you know! I wish they'd make this more clear, I try to say it as much as I can.

There are quite a few hard counters in the game. 5* Scarlet Witch against Immortal Hulk (without Chasm) is one -- it's almost impossible to beat her with a Hulk team. Electro also does this pretty well.

Some other fun ones: 5* Kitty vs anybody who makes one tile every turn (Ronan, Iron Fist, 3* SW). Killmonger vs America Chavez, Shang-Chi, or Karnak. There are probably a bunch more I'll remember, or others will fill in.

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Alex502 said:

So consider the range of Chasm counters we have so far. None of them are perfect counters to everything Chasm does, but there are now several ways you can choose to handle him. No, none of them are as powerful as him, and yes he's still definitely the Meta-Man, but fact is the variety of ways to handle him makes for a more interesting game.

I acutally ENJOY the variety of options against them. Biggest feedback I'm hearing is that none of these characters have a true counter to Chasm as the AI has a hard time utilizing these complex power kits against him successfully. So, your defense team isn't amazing? Well, honestly, not every team is good at defense and that should be a good thing. If every character was a beast in the AI's hands, then PvP would be even LESS interesting. Fact is the PvP play is geared towards the active player already, and Chasm is one of the few characters that dominate at defense.

If BCS's strategy is to create a chasm-like character and then the next 6+ releases
    are counters to it, then they are doing a good job, if not a great job.

Imo this is leaves a sour taste in my mouth. And my strategy would be to wait out for the next chasm-like character.

Also the problem now is not, there are no counters to chasm. It is to change player's away from using chasm ihulk which is a very difficult thing to do. Because the counters right now are just not a strong enough deterrent. Imo the best deterrent has been having 10+ boosted 5*, like they did for Valentine's week and women's month.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Alex502 said:

Tell everyone you know! I wish they'd make this more clear, I try to say it as much as I can.

There are quite a few hard counters in the game. 5* Scarlet Witch against Immortal Hulk (without Chasm) is one -- it's almost impossible to beat her with a Hulk team. Electro also does this pretty well.

Some other fun ones: 5* Kitty vs anybody who makes one tile every turn (Ronan, Iron Fist, 3* SW). Killmonger vs America Chavez, Shang-Chi, or Karnak. There are probably a bunch more I'll remember, or others will fill in.

Chasm vs every other character (lol). But seriously Chasm vs BRB and Rocket, essentially anyone who does something at start of battle is hard countered by the beginning stun and it doesn’t happen after that. Also Chasm vs any character who needs even a reasonable amount of AP to be effective.

Not that he needed one, but 5* Electra hard counter’s Knull’s one strike at a time passive.

Kraven and Dazzler were both hard counters to Rocket, but not good enough because Kitty outpaced Kraven and Dazzler couldn’t tank a match or survive a hit. God Emperor Doom was another attempt to hard counter the then-dominant Kitty/Rocket meta, but not super well because he had to die to do it.

Eddie Brock Venom hard counters BRB’s protect meta even though he is older, but since he is a 4* he lacks survivability to do anything with it. Black Suit Spider-Man similarly sidestepped the strike meta, but vintage fives were hard to chase in those days when that would have mattered.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Oh good call, BSS completely neuters the Kitty/Rocket team, forgot about that one!

There are tons of softer counters in the game too, but I was thinking of the sort of character who works on defense -- the team in question can't beat them, or at least has extreme difficulty doing so.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don’t know that there are too many characters who can’t win at all in that way, but Archangel came out with that airborne shutdown power for one assumes Vulture at the time, who I don’t know really needed a 5* counter too.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Here are examples of other hard counters:

1) Chasm drains the front character's strongest aps that has at least one ap in that colour, in a specific order, by up to 3 aps at the end of each turn, and Kang counters it by returning all the drained aps back to the players.
    2) Silver Surfer and Hit-Monkey counter infinite revive by downing them for good.

• Domsouth04
    Domsouth04 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options

So it is definitely “land shark”? As 5* and 3*

• entrailbucket
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I don’t know that there are too many characters who can’t win at all in that way, but Archangel came out with that airborne shutdown power for one assumes Vulture at the time, who I don’t know really needed a 5* counter too.

Archangel against Vulture is another good one. Try to win a match against Archangel using a Vulture-based team. That's how a counter works.

• Alex502
    edited April 2023
    Options

You all make excellent points but to say these are/were designed specifically as a hard counter is a bit of a reduction. Even in just asking, you all have offered alternative points, and creative teams. This proves my point to variety beating out meta options.

Yes, Chasm sucks because of his dominance in the meta. I'm not a meta player, and frankly you 550's out there are the outlier.

Should they make this a pattern? No, I don't think a Chasm like character and then 6+ counters and such is a good idea, but then again I don't really think that's the central focus either. They're making dynamic characters that do stuff AND can work against Chasm. They're trying to run the middle, and doing an okay job at keeping variety, and offering solutions without casting a new meta mold.

Besides, all that'll happen is new strategies made against that new meta. I greatly prefer variety at the "just under meta" realm.

• Alex502
    edited April 2023
    Options

To that end, this new character will fall into the "fun for variety" genre unless that Abyss counter proves strong enough, maybe with another anti-Chasm function. Maybe paired with 5Magento?

PS: I would have been entertained if this was a Brotherhood release to go with Magneto, though obviously not the case.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Rebalanced magneto on first place is bugged, and in second place I played him in SIM to check his effectiveness.
    It was a huge mistake because when I came next day I had more than 10 hits(with my main team rarely I have more than 1).
    Exactly the same will happen with this shark, a great character if what you want is everyone hitting you.

• gamecat235
    gamecat235 Posts: 104 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Domsouth04 said:
    So it is definitely “land shark”? As 5* and 3*

Most signs point to this. Since Jeff is now part of the Taco Tuesday image.

But since I really want it to be, I’m still hedging my hopes against reality.

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2023
    Options

Mod note: This comment replies to a deleted post.

100% agree this is what is happening.

But who is to blame? Or is there any blame? Should we live in the chasm filled world until the next overpowered character comes?

• Alex502
    edited April 2023
    Options

I've got to point out too, if this character could free reign target any kind of tile, I think that would be overly powerful. So long as its flexible in approach to handling multiple teams without blowing out the water, I'll be happy. Like I was trying to say before, characters that are good and also have something against Chasm are a nice addition.

PS: Maybe if we brought more attention to the bug issues through the forum, they'd get something of a response? Not hopeful, just saying maybe we could be a bit more clear about what issues are going on in a format that calls for it.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

Bishop was reigning for over a year, and iHulkoye for almost a year, so I think we still can deal with it. It's only been half a year.

Anyway, I was wondering what the best way to maximise his green is. Converting 60 selected tiles = +300% match damage and true healing him for 180% health. His purple deals 1068 damage. After applying 300%, it's 4272. On top of that, he still has a 20% buff to match damage. So, his purple match-3 would deal 15,379 damage. I know someone is going to bring out SC but my theme is not for him to best SC but to find out fun team for him.

Purple is easy to spam with Valkyrie/Melinda. However, their tanking for 2-turn is a problem. 15% damage reduction won't help much for these two.

Red is likely his best nuke.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I've deleted a post which tried to demean other posters views and generalised groups of players. It was a shame because it made a good point at its core.

Please just check whether you're being disrespectful before you press the "post" button.

• Alex502
    Options

The only 5's that give rainbow coverage with this character are Colossus, Doctor Doom, and Wasp, so look elsewhere for synergy. Iceman would be a fun pairing, maybe Kamala Khan. Black Panther could tank some and actually get his reaction power to go off, and he does well at Yellow and Black, pumping that damage from the purple repeater from this guy.

Actually, could this character be a Phoenix Force? Would be interesting to stack some of those team effects. What other affiliations would be cool? If its Jeff the Shark, what's even the options for him?