Character Rebalance - 5* Wasp (Hope Van Dyne) (Live 2/16)

Options

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,952 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DyingLegend said:
    She is still way to expensive for abilities. She can easily be taken out before getting off a 17 black AP AOE, i mean come on.

You don't need 17 Black for the AOE. You just need 7 Black once 4 Swarm tiles are on the board. You can get those Swarm tiles via her Blue (6 AP cost) or other characters.

KGB

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I think this update is interesting. I do feel she will need Ant Man along with her to really take advantage of some of these powers. Maybe fire Wasp Blue 4 tiles Ant man Yellow followed by Wasp black. I am glad there is more synergy between the 2. Unfortunately I don’t see Wasp on her own have a good 5* partner.

Here are the things I would have liked to seen differently.
    1 Blue have call the swarm be passive whenever you get 12 swarm tiles on the board. Let Blue stay at 6 keep firing for AP steal and putting out swarm tiles. Damage might need to be reduced on call the swarm being passive and destroy all swarm tiles.

Black just make 1 power for the 7AP. Adding a swarm tile and doing damage per swarm tile is fine.

Yellow make shrink tactics always an option like Riri red. You can choose to either option.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The swarm team is obviously an annoying team right now.
    Locked tiles which will make difficult matching AP, draining AP, damaging and healing and probably a great AoE still to be revealed.
    Well, imo this team needs to be pulled off by 2 5s. One 5 and one or 2 4s it isn't viable.
    Also changing size thematically enables some damage reduction.
    So what finally I'm meaning is that wasp 5
    is clearly uncompleted without a 5* Ant-Man making her shine, and if they have enough perks together (stun resistance, even away resistance) then they could even have a place on pvp.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,179 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

She is one of the few characters who can send an ally inviz, so maybe she will become relevant once Black Panther gets a number boost eventually.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023
    Options

@KGB said:

@DyingLegend said:
    She is still way to expensive for abilities. She can easily be taken out before getting off a 17 black AP AOE, i mean come on.

You don't need 17 Black for the AOE. You just need 7 Black once 4 Swarm tiles are on the board. You can get those Swarm tiles via her Blue (6 AP cost) or other characters.

KGB

It's a 13 ap aoe (if you are lucky on blue and get 4 Swarm tiles). And subsequent casting should be a little bit cheaper with the black ap regen.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@KGB said:

@DyingLegend said:

KGB

It's a 13 ap aoe (if you are lucky on blue and get 4 Swarm tiles). And subsequent casting should be a little bit cheaper with the black ap regen.

My point is it's still expensive.

Too many characters can zap AP these days.

• MrDupaTM
    MrDupaTM Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options

It seems like the only way to buff any character right now is to run a couple nerfs.

Sorry, Spawn is still too strong for Wa5p to become relevant even when boosted.
    Nerf him already.

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 715 Critical Contributor
    Options

I am officially going to sleep. Been doing some test with half upgraded-Wasp team. Went pretty good. Yellow really seems lucklusting so far but new blue and black looks ok.

I have done 10 fights in AntMan PVP (Storm/AntMan/Wasp) and 19 fight in simulator with a team and builds posted below. So far it's really good. I can easily trash random, non meta teams with this. Still not gonna throw it into Immortals but semi-meta teams (like 1-2 Meta charas + 3rd wheel) or most of Polaris based teams went down pretty easily. I did not tried much vs. Chasm (one fight and Storm was heavy lifting it) and avoided mThor/Chasm duo. I lost like just a few/a couple of fights.

The setup is easy: Emma's red helps with cascades and ap collecting (and boost dmg) - I almost always keep firing it immediately. Collecting 6 Blue for Wasp is easy and works wonders. Keep Purple for Emma and fire it just before enemy can fire key power(s). Called some Swarms and Grew some too. Pain Index usually do 22-28k damage when fired (13-17k without Emma's Red passive). Biggest one was 37k (22 with no Emma).

It looks like Emma is her best friend for me rn.

More testing tomorrow after she gest her full updates.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I tend to disagree with the Doc Ock rework - I personally thought his green was super fun in his original iteration even if it was very hard to pull off. He is right there with Robbie Reyes where the "fun" mechanic of the original character was sacrificed to the mediocrity of basic improvements to his other powers. But I am likely in the minority there.

I agree with @Vhailorx about Doctopus: personally I feel his original Green was a tad too convoluted. His reworked Green made it easier to use, while still keeping some of that cunning scheme flavour.

But I also agree with @ThaRoadWarrior about Robbie’s Green being gutted. His original Hell Ride was fun to use, despite the quick loss in utility as the tiles inevitably fell down the board. I like the improvements to his Red and Black, but lament that those came at the cost of his Green. A better fix would have been to create perhaps a maximum of 2 repeater tiles that destroy Red/Green/Black tiles (generating AP) while moving around the board every turn. This would have preserved the flavour of the move.

• ShionSinX
    ShionSinX Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options

@Rod5 said:
    I presume you’re not a 5* player

I mean, shes a character whos heavily synnergistic, so shes someone for pick3 teams, not pick2. So if theres anywhere you'd use her, its on PvE. And there even teams with 3*s can work (Im looking at you, 3Kang).

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    She is one of the few characters who can send an ally inviz, so maybe she will become relevant once Black Panther gets a number boost eventually.

What does invisibility have to do with black panther?

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@killahKlown said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

What does invisibility have to do with black panther?

His passive works if stunned or invisible. Most people only remember the stun part because of the Thanos pairing

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

Woof, man. She’s tough to figure or use. Not sure if she’s working as intended either; I think the devs have mentioned this.

But right out of the gate, I’m trying to use her pragmatically with some other 5’s in a pve and simulator… kind of brutal. I’ll wait until brighter folks than myself come up with ok partners that can gain tons of AP and try out on anything w/o Chasm?? 🤷‍♂️

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

She's still bugged: her ap costs and other buffs.

I think she and her team would be spectacular in wave nodes. I think it would be Kang's level of awesomeness. If you fire Kang's blue for multiple wave nodes, you win the wave but you don't get full points, unless they've fixed it in the latest release note.

I'm waiting for her full buff to activate and try out my infinite AoE.

• Mr_F
    edited February 2023
    Options

I am waiting for the 2nd update too to continue testings. No need to do more test on half-Wasp. Been testing that yesterday.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Too much colour overlap, I suspect, which is also a problem with the 'Ant Man and the Wasps' team IMO.

Was hoping for something along the lines of "Wasp cannot be sent Away by an opponent" which would definitively have given her a use, but still it's fun to have an update at last; there's no doubt she's better, even if she's not good.

• Mr_F
    Options

Does the 2nd buff has been pushed already? Cause its almost 6PM in my place and still dont see the healt/match/ap upgrade.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

No it hasn't happened.
    I guess they ran into some more problems.

• Mr_F
    Options

Maybe. Not like I have problems with winning with new half-Update Wasp so I can wait a bit more.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DrClever said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Too much colour overlap, I suspect, which is also a problem with the 'Ant Man and the Wasps' team IMO.

Was hoping for something along the lines of "Wasp cannot be sent Away by an opponent" which would definitively have given her a use, but still it's fun to have an update at last; there's no doubt she's better, even if she's not good.

I learned a very long time ago in MPQ that a one trick pony with a really good trick is better than a rainbow team with mediocre abilities. Color overlap is not a problem if the power synergy is sufficiently strong.

All that said: A 10ap ability to make BP invis just to get a little damage from him 4 rounds later is NOT a good mpq trick.