Character Rebalance - 5* Wasp (Hope Van Dyne) (Live 2/16)

Options

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Just wait for the inevitable swarm meta.
    Maybe that's the one Wong will be awesome in countering?

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

So first she needs to spend 6 blues and luckily she will create 4 locked swarm tiles.
    Then collect 7 black, creates another swarm, gains 3 blacks for them, and deals AoE of 2500 per swarm, and we should be talking about level 450.
    An AoE of about 12.500. You only need to fire them another 7 times more in order to down the enemy team!
    If you fire the blue stun the swarm tiles are destroyed.
    Locked swarm tiles which don't let to make too many matches and get a lot of AP.
    Mthor looking at them and LOLing.
    To design a team for a really slow character.
    Luckily I never hit my head and I put resources in her!

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I had a headache just reading the power descriptions, it all seems a bit convoluted. Will try the Quantumania team in DDQ though.

• DAZ0273
    Options

4* Ant Man seemed more useful when I just played Team Q but then again I only have a 9 cover Wasp at 255 so maybe that is it.

• Bad
    Options

Yeah you can try the full insect team and then there will be a lot of swarm tiles.
    But then again, is a team of a 5* and 2 4*s.

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2023
    Options

I have used her extensively for two and half years straight, out of which 1,5 after I have champed her. Due to me quitting/less playing during that time, I have ended in a hard way of entering 5* land with just her and adding others months later. I have 16+ page long thread all about just that. When I am saying that since her "half live update" been doing her stuff not just fine but a lot of better than before even with her Shink the Swarm and Grow The Swarm costing 12 ap and not 5/7 respectively, then I know what I am saying. Can't say I've been beating meta teams like Immortals or mThor/SC but 've been beating some SC and Chasm and few non meta teams a lot easier than before with her with same partners used as before (Emma+Yelena). Been losing too.

Neverthless, It does not mean You all can't feel dissapointed and have different opinions than mine on how good or bad is her rebalance. If I am the only player enjoying the changes then I can't argue with your statements. Maybe I really am to biased here and I am th eone who is wrong. Just maybe. Who knows?

My opinion, as of now, is that her rebalance is on par with some others which were made in last 2,5 months and is satisfaying for me (FOR ME). She really, for me (FOR ME), is way better now. And it makes me sad, that I am the only one feeling that way.

So, saying that I will try to keep myself shut upped and try to listen to other voices of all of ya. I do not consider myself a All Mighty, All Knowing Wasp expert at all. Also I do not want to make this thread all about me vs the world or my trying convincing the world. After all, I am just only one player here and even If i am most know Wasp Enjoyer, I can not make this thread all mine.

P.S. @Vhailorx has waited for mine 10 000 words diatribe on how her rebalance will ruin her. Sorry to dissapoint you, not gonna happen as of now. But here we go, everybody else feel free to satisfy him!

• Bowgentle
    Options

No, please, keep weighing in!
    Just don't be disappointed that we don't share your excitement.

• DAZ0273
    Options

I grew the Swarm but I don't think I shrank the swarm or called it? As I said, mine isn't an ideal one to test because my 4* Team Q members are better than Hope so she was always going to struggle to shine. She really could do with a 5* partner if I am honest because Scott and Janet as fun as they are need Hope to be the mainstay and I am not sure she can carry the team even with this re-fit.

• Mr_F
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    No, please, keep weighing in!
    Just don't be disappointed that we don't share your excitement.

I am dissapointed you (plural) don't like the rebalance. But I am also open for opinions of others. Will repeate myself: I might be biased (too biased) here.

• DAZ0273
    Options

I will add that I was very much expecting a 5* Ant Man which I assumed together with a rebalance to her would make Hope viable. I mean we could still get one, if we do then things might change. Sadly though having only 4* partners on her key component really makes it tricky to build teams.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023
    Options

I appreciate the efforts but this is still very disappointing. It looks like too much time was spent keeping Swarm tiles a thing, while randomly adding them to Ant-Man and 4* Wasp, which was not necessary.

• Karass
    Karass Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options

whilst not everything is set in place atm, my tryouts of Wasp 2.0 are seriously subpar. Even the tweaks to the Antman and W4SP had better results than this much needed Wasp. Unless numbers are bumped, I won't play her.

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'm glad to see Hope improved. Sadly, this doesn't look strong enogh to make her usable in pvp, boosted.

Of course, it remains to be seen how it all works in practice with the proper grow abilities costs, but imo the main problem has ramained, that her tiles are locked in place while they go on her colors. Also an issue is those are all active powers and swarm tiles are not made passively by Hope herself.

With Ant-Man, she's definitely looking more fun and should have the extra help making her mid tier, if a bit slower.

Another thing I'm interested in seeing how it plays is her mirror match (only her pvp I guess). Swarm tiles are neutral and there's potential the AI actually helps the player. Otherwise, you'd need to save enough AP on 2 colors at once before firing her powers.

• Bad
    Options

@Mr_F said:
    After all, I am just only one player here and even If i am most know Wasp Enjoyer, I can not make this thread all mine.

Indeed. Because it's an official announcement of a rebalanced character.
    But thanks for your concession, now we can comment a character rebalance who belongs to a game.
    And who is arguably pretty bad, before and now after.

• Mr_F
    edited February 2023
    Options

@Karass said:
    whilst not everything is set in place atm, my tryouts of Wasp 2.0 are seriously subpar. Even the tweaks to the Antman and W4SP had better results than this much needed Wasp. Unless numbers are bumped, I won't play her.

As of today, Her Health and Match damage arent upped yet due to the issue which has arised after unbinding CtS from Yellow and Black powers. They will be as of tomorrow. The calculation from dev's posted on Discord suggest that CtS should do on average 15.7k-26,7k of AoE dmg + the shake on ungraded dmg. When tomorrow damage would be upped, it should be 18,5k-34,3k AoE Damage+shake. The difference if from tile's destruction and number of swarm tiles on board.

Her new black easily did for me 24k damage +healing many times today.

So I expect average damage going up as of tomorrow.

• Mr_F
    edited February 2023
    Options

@Kolence said:
    Another thing I'm interested in seeing how it plays is her mirror match (only her pvp I guess). Swarm tiles are neutral and there's potential the AI actually helps the player. Otherwise, you'd need to save enough AP on 2 colors at once before firing her powers.

Tried in on AntMan PVP. Yes, the AI can help player with that. Swarm tiles seemed to belong to both sides universally.

@Bad said:

@Mr_F said:
    After all, I am just only one player here and even If i am most know Wasp Enjoyer, I can not make this thread all mine.

Indeed. Because it's an official announcement of a rebalanced character.
    But thanks for your concession, now we can comment a character rebalance who belongs to a game.
    And who is arguably pretty bad, before and now after.

I saw pretty high numbers in game during my today's test runs. Definetly she needs more testing to confirm IRL numbers.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If other people enjoy playing the new 5* Wasp, that is fine with me. Her convoluted play style and the amount of time it will take to even do anything with her is not my cup of tea.

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Mr_F

Glad Wasp got a rebalance that you're pleased with and waited a long time for. I'm sure you'll continue to have a blast with her. There's lots of players who use characters they simply find fun rather than only rolling out the same meta teams over and over. Maybe with her tweaks she'll open the door for some new team combos for you as your roster grows.

Personally like others mentioned I wish they did a bit more with the rebalance, but I've said the same thing for many other characters after they had their turn. We shouldn't expect rebalancing to turn said character to GOD mode,. Especially one like Wasp who we all know was towards the bottom of the spectrum to begin with and was designed with somewhat slow complicated mechanics. She's definitely a bit more fun and useful for those who have her covered and will be better when boosted when that might be the only time many would use her a ways.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,941 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

As Hound mentioned, there is a Winfine possibility on Black if you can get a Black battery to get it started (you'd need to cast Blue at least once for the 4+ swarm tile requirement).

That seems like it will be way she will be most viable.

KGB

• Bowgentle
    Options

@KGB said:
    As Hound mentioned, there is a Winfine possibility on Black if you can get a Black battery to get it started (you'd need to cast Blue at least once for the 4+ swarm tile requirement).

That seems like it will be way she will be most viable.

KGB

For softcappers, maybe.