Android Black Screen Crash Bug (Update 12/17: Full Fix Deployed)

Options

Comments

• dv8mad
    dv8mad Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options

I am just hoping that they reset my cover countdown as I had a 5 star I still needed to open a slot for

• Sweets786
    Sweets786 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options

@dv8mad said:
    I am just hoping that they reset my cover countdown as I had a 5 star I still needed to open a slot for

That's a really good point, I forgot about that.

• SAHADI
    SAHADI Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options

S22 ultra user here, still nothing. Would be great to know what progress has been made in the last 4 days

• Number1Suspect
    Number1Suspect Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options

Got a notification for the first time in days. Still nothing. S22

• Kotep
    Kotep Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options

Possibly not until the new year for us S22 users... Ouch. That's a good chunk of time.

• S0kun
    S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2022
    Options

As mentioned yesterday, we've issued a temporary fix that can allow some of you who have a PC to play the game while we tackle the remaining issues with this bug. Please download the Steam version of the game here and follow the below instructions:
    https://mpq.social/pc

1. Once installed, locate the 43 digit account string located at the bottom of the Options panel or play the campaign until you're able to create a username.
    2. Screengrab or write this string / username down
    3. Contact our customer support team here: https://d3go.helpshift.com/hc/en/3-marvel-puzzle-quest/contact-us/
    4. Let them know that you would like to sync your mobile and Steam accounts because of the Android bug
    5. Provide the MPQ ID from step 1 + your mobile username
    6. CS will link your accounts and allow you to play your mobile account on Steam
    7. This link will also allow you to switch between mobile and Steam accounts permanently
    8. Only Android accounts affected by this bug will be prioritized

We know this isn't the actual fix to the Android issue, but it allows you to at least get into the game and play. Thanks again for your patience as we tackle this issue!

• rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options

What if you already have a Steam account. Can this override that?

• S0kun
    S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@rocks52 said:

Yes, it'll override whatever Steam account you have and link your Steam build to the mobile account, which will allow you to switch back and forth between platforms.

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options

@rocks52 said:

Yes, as long as you're ok with that Steam account going into the nether.

• ReapedChaos
    ReapedChaos Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options

Has there been an in game announcement so alliances know what's happening?

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options

What happens to compensation rewards if we participate in events through steam? Do we still get them?

• LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2022
    Options

Got a reply saying it was linked and to test it out. Got the message 'unable to sync to steam cloud' and 'if I play now, you may not have previous game progress and you may permanently lose it' so I do not want to risk looking my progress
    EDIT:
    after a third attempt, it seems to have worked!

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't even own a PC.

The wait continues 😂

• DenDevil
    DenDevil Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options

Am I the only one wondering what major change was made that created this devastating bug? I do not have a PC, nor do I have a Steam account. The current fixes are therefore useless to me. Perhaps the real goal was to get rid of casual players so that they can focus on those that pay big money to play. My 10 bucks a month for MVP status was chump change for them. Might be time to look for someone that will value that money. Likely another 2 weeks or more for a fix?! That is acceptable?!

• acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DenDevil said:
    Am I the only one wondering what major change was made that created this devastating bug? I do not have a PC, nor do I have a Steam account. The current fixes are therefore useless to me. Perhaps the real goal was to get rid of casual players so that they can focus on those that pay big money to play. My 10 bucks a month for MVP status was chump change for them. Might be time to look for someone that will value that money. Likely another 2 weeks or more for a fix?! That is acceptable?!

I'm assuming you didn't see ice's post on the first page of this thread...
    "So to anyone who is affected, we'll be compensating by crediting with max placement/progression rewards from the missed events."

You will be getting a ton of rewards once Google pushes out the fix. Are you a player who always gets max placement & progression in all events?

I kinda wish my game was crashing. Get a little break, get all rewards, & come back refreshed to play.

Are you still salty?

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Based on what I gathered, majority of the players affected are those using S22. However, there are even a smaller group who are using other android brand. On further research, S22 seems like a problematic phone. :D

Given that S22 is a high end brand, I doubt the dev want to drive whales out of the game. I'm using android and I'm not facing the black screen problem that S22 players have.

If I were you, I would change my theory to "The devs is trying to get rid of Samsung Whales because they are Apple fans."

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@S0kun I thought some of the earlier wording made it look like this could be an option for all players, though obviously those affected by the black screen would get priority. I can't find that now... is it an option for those of us that would like to be able to play on steam? My phone is like 5+ years old (with no upgrade in sight) so I'm always nervous about getting aged out via android version or whatever and while emulators are a thing they're pretty spotty performance-wise in my experience. It'd be really cool if this is something we could all do!

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I’m trying to process how losing casual customers or whales would benefit any company. In any event, my interpretation based on limited data is that the firmware in the high end Android is incompatible with a number of games, not just this one. Almost like it was changed and no one creating content for this product was told in advance so they could test it and make the modifications to their code that would be necessary to keep their content viable. Apparently Apple has done the same in the past. Kudos to the team for doing what they can to fix this situation.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Sekilicious said:
    I’m trying to process how losing casual customers or whales would benefit any company.

Probably the only sense on that is just another way to blackmail or threat to quit.
    It was time somebody posted that all familiar content!
    Despite knowing devs weren't the culprits, they are doing all what they can on to fix it, and they are going to compensate it in a huge generously way...

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,985 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This link will also allow you to switch between mobile and Steam accounts permanently
    Only Android accounts affected by this bug will be prioritized

Does that mean something is in the works to allow everyone to play the same game on steam and on their phones... I been on steam for last 7+ years and would love to sync the game to phone and steam... my boss on other hand would hate it cause i be on my phone all day LOL

really though is this a first step to allow all or just people effected

thanks