Upcoming Bonus Character Release (8/5/22)

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The point is, they WANT to speed up the release schedule.
    Players keeping up isn't their goal.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    3*/4* players wanted new 3* for a long time and this feedback is common. How do you explain that? Those accounts were set up by the dev?
  • Bowgentle
    Nobody asked for 3s IN ADDITION to the existing 2 characters per month.
  • HoundofShadow
    That's true and let's wait for them to release details to see how they're going to alleviate the situation (with more grinding).
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a hard time imagining anybody actually wanting more 3*s for their own sake; I would bet that anyone expressing that is really saying “I want to be able to cover more characters” and it’s coming out as “I want more characters I can cover.” 

I’m sure the drivers for that are nuanced - the tier transitions are very punishing rather than welcoming for one thing. But diluting the bottom tiers really isn’t a good long term deal for players if they stopped to think about it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I hope this comes with replacing Heroic Tokens with Mighty Tokens everywhere and just retiring that token type.
  • Bowgentle
    I hope this comes with replacing Heroic Tokens with Mighty Tokens everywhere and just retiring that token type.
    Lol.
    We can't even get rid of standard tokens in CL10 in PVE and you think THAT would fly?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited September 2022
    Not worth the copper they’re printed on lol

i would be really curious what one of those “I want more 3*s” players would say if you asked them to choose  between making 4*s as easy to get as 3* or adding more 3*s to the game. I’m not advocating the former per se, just wondering if you could sus out the impetus for them asking for 3*s like that.

like would it be enough to say “what if we made the total champ cost of a 4* be 235,000 iso instead of 375,000?” Or is the problem cover drop rate which becomes a token/shard thing. Or is it roster slot HP pressure?
  • HoundofShadow
    Actually, there are. Look around reddit, facebook. There are players wanting more 3*. Whenever such threads are started, veteran players will disagree with that feedbacks. I think casual players think differently.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited September 2022
    Actually, there are. Look around reddit, facebook. There are players wanting more 3*. Whenever such threads are started, veteran players will disagree with that feedbacks. I think casual players think differently.
    Again, I would bet a casual player is asking to be able to attain more characters and expressing it as an ask for more characters they can attain. You could address this with the economy without adding more low tier characters if you wanted to.

if those players were my customer (and my motivation was actually to help them), I would say “don’t tell me your solution, describe your problem instead.” These players are telling you what they think will solve their problem, which is “I’m too casual to get the covers I want under the current reward structure.” There are a number of variables you could tune to fix that for them, but if I wanted a player facing solution my suggestion wouldn’t be diluting the tier they have access too because eventually they’ll be too casual to keep up there also.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    From what I gather, the request is to be able to obtain a playable version of the 5* release. E.g. If Big Wheel is one of your favorite characters, you'll be a bit unchuffed knowing that you'll never have him.
  • WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 906 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2022
    I'm eager to find out how quickly/easily it will take to get the new 3* to 13 covers.  The new 4* takes me roughly one months worth of progression & placement rewards to get a combination of covers and shards to reach 13.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    From what I gather, the request is to be able to obtain a playable version of the 5* release. E.g. If Big Wheel is one of your favorite characters, you'll be a bit unchuffed knowing that you'll never have him.
    I mean we all have some variation on that problem, right? Like if you’re a 5* player whose favorite character is say Namor, (and I have to imagine a 5* MCU version will arrive with BP2, but let’s imagine we don’t know that movie is a thing) the one we have in game is too low-tier for me to use. I wonder if this game wouldn’t have been better off if they’d chosen in the beginning to use a promotion strategy to have one character move up tiers as you level them rather than totally distinct tiers? That is too different I think to implement now though.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,590 Chairperson of the Boards
    The biggest problem with adding more 3*s is fattening the lower tiers and keeping players in those tiers longer.
    they have to roster a certain amount of characters to progress at an acceptable pace.  It is not the same at the 4* level.
    I would like a few more 3*s but adding more will most likely extend the grind for newer players.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure there are other games out there, but this is one of the only mobile games I have played where a character, when released, is only feasible to play for a certain percent of the population.  Most games release a character at a low level that anyone can obtain and then you level them up via varying mechanisms to make them as "high" level as you want.

A 3* character is 100% worthless to anyone in 5* land and almost everyone in 4* land.  And a 5* is essentially worthless (usable to an extent, maybe, but worthless) to anyone just starting or in 3* land.

Those of us in 5* land have no need for more 3* but I can see some starting players who might appreciate adding some to help with game play, depending on the abilities of those 3*.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited September 2022
    Even back in the dark ages of 2017, there were considered to be so many 3 and 4* characters that they were being rotated into "vaulted status" where they weren't available in regular tokens. It was very difficult to cover an older character in those days, and since they were both still required but not available easily, it was not awesome for players. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/62612/vintage-heroic-packs-3-30-17

That was back when there was a "latest 12" 4* rotation that had higher odds of being pulled. I forget what the inciting incident was that led to the odds flattening out and going back to full dilution; was it shards?
  • Bowgentle
    Even back in the dark ages of 2017, there were considered to be so many 3 and 4* characters that they were being rotated into "vaulted status" where they weren't available in regular tokens. It was very difficult to cover an older character in those days, and since they were both still required but not available easily, it was not awesome for players. 

That was back when there was a "latest 12" 4* rotation that had higher odds of being pulled. I forget what the inciting incident was that led to the odds flattening out and going back to full dilution; was it shards?
    No.
    Players were very vocally hating on vaulting.
    Even though we pointed out time after time that it was the only way you'd get 4* chars into the 330+ range for the really good rewards.
  • EienRyuu
    EienRyuu Posts: 80 Match Maker
    EienRyuu said:
    You might as well choose 9.  Your roster determines the opponents you are matched with not the level chosen.  The level chosen only changes the rewards for which you are playing.

This is one of the most counterintuitive things in the game.
    Sorry for writing that much later.
    I was out of the city for a bit plus I got right back into work when I returned, so yeah... xD

As for this, let's say that is true that the roster determines that. But there should be some importance to levels, right?! For example, right now even in 7 I have to skip most of the time because I come across boosted characters that are more powerful than mine. Like I have to find someone that is on 1 cover just so that I have the chance to beat them. xD
    And I think that the occurrence of meeting only 5 stars will increase at least slightly in 9. So I am cool with the tier for now. Also, I can at least place in this one much better than I will be probably in 9.

Thanks though. Good luck out there!  :)

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember clearly 3* characters were demanded here in the forum.  And a lot.
    Recently there aren't vocals about it, though.
    Possibly they were 3* or 4* players. 
    A 3* version of a loved character is accesible for everyone. 
    And remember the old trick: new characters for the feeding farm only means more rewards on the long term (that term that seemingly everybody uses to ignore).
    Do 5* players need 3 characters? Certainly those old 3*s aren't needed at all.
    Do 5* players need rebalanced 3* shulk? Probably many 5* players need her.
    So, yes, personally I welcome all 3* characters incoming under BCS hand.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited September 2022
    Bowgentle said:

No.
    Players were very vocally hating on vaulting.
    Even though we pointed out time after time that it was the only way you'd get 4* chars into the 330+ range for the really good rewards.
    Oh yeah, I hated it at the time as a 3* player aspiring to 4* because I couldn't get characters I wanted either because I liked them, or because they were obviously good when I'd face them in PVP, but they were old and vaulted. But in those pre-shard days, I was earning enough resources to champ the 4* who was dropping out of Latest 12 right as they were doing it - it wasn't unlike how it is pulling as you go for a 5* in my current roster state. I only mention that to say that 5 years ago dilution was already a hot topic to the point that game systems were implemented to combat it, so spooling up the dilution machine yet again is going to be interesting.

Adding more 3*s to the mix (without doing anything else like replacing heroic tokens with Mighty or infusing a ton of shards to increase the frequency of cover drops significantly) will only serve to make growing and ultimately farming those lower tiers slow to a crawl. So 5* players will feel an economy recession just as much as the 3 and 4* player, though it will matter less to them.