Upcoming Bonus Character Release (8/5/22)

12345679»

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2022
    EienRyuu said:
    EienRyuu said:
    You might as well choose 9.  Your roster determines the opponents you are matched with not the level chosen.  The level chosen only changes the rewards for which you are playing.

This is one of the most counterintuitive things in the game.
    Sorry for writing that much later.
    I was out of the city for a bit plus I got right back into work when I returned, so yeah... xD

As for this, let's say that is true that the roster determines that. But there should be some importance to levels, right?! For example, right now even in 7 I have to skip most of the time because I come across boosted characters that are more powerful than mine. Like I have to find someone that is on 1 cover just so that I have the chance to beat them. xD
    And I think that the occurrence of meeting only 5 stars will increase at least slightly in 9. So I am cool with the tier for now. Also, I can at least place in this one much better than I will be probably in 9.

Thanks though. Good luck out there!  :)

So in PvP everyone in the same time slot are pitted against each other. You get the same opponents regardless, whether in SCL1 or SCL10. The only difference between SCL7 and 9 will be the placement at the end. If you’re going progression only the go for the highest SCL you are able. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Even back in the dark ages of 2017, there were considered to be so many 3 and 4* characters that they were being rotated into "vaulted status" where they weren't available in regular tokens. It was very difficult to cover an older character in those days, and since they were both still required but not available easily, it was not awesome for players. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/62612/vintage-heroic-packs-3-30-17

That was back when there was a "latest 12" 4* rotation that had higher odds of being pulled. I forget what the inciting incident was that led to the odds flattening out and going back to full dilution; was it shards?
    No.
    Players were very vocally hating on vaulting.
    Even though we pointed out time after time that it was the only way you'd get 4* chars into the 330+ range for the really good rewards.
    Oh yeah, I hated it at the time as a 3* player aspiring to 4* because I couldn't get characters I wanted either because I liked them, or because they were obviously good when I'd face them in PVP, but they were old and vaulted. But in those pre-shard days, I was earning enough resources to champ the 4* who was dropping out of Latest 12 right as they were doing it - it wasn't unlike how it is pulling as you go for a 5* in my current roster state. I only mention that to say that 5 years ago dilution was already a hot topic to the point that game systems were implemented to combat it, so spooling up the dilution machine yet again is going to be interesting.

Adding more 3*s to the mix (without doing anything else like replacing heroic tokens with Mighty or infusing a ton of shards to increase the frequency of cover drops significantly) will only serve to make growing and ultimately farming those lower tiers slow to a crawl. So 5* players will feel an economy recession just as much as the 3 and 4* player, though it will matter less to them.

See the post above you.
    Some players don't understand that more dilution is bad for everyone.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2022
    Bowgentle said:
    Even back in the dark ages of 2017, there were considered to be so many 3 and 4* characters that they were being rotated into "vaulted status" where they weren't available in regular tokens. It was very difficult to cover an older character in those days, and since they were both still required but not available easily, it was not awesome for players. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/62612/vintage-heroic-packs-3-30-17

That was back when there was a "latest 12" 4* rotation that had higher odds of being pulled. I forget what the inciting incident was that led to the odds flattening out and going back to full dilution; was it shards?
    No.
    Players were very vocally hating on vaulting.
    Even though we pointed out time after time that it was the only way you'd get 4* chars into the 330+ range for the really good rewards.
    Oh yeah, I hated it at the time as a 3* player aspiring to 4* because I couldn't get characters I wanted either because I liked them, or because they were obviously good when I'd face them in PVP, but they were old and vaulted. But in those pre-shard days, I was earning enough resources to champ the 4* who was dropping out of Latest 12 right as they were doing it - it wasn't unlike how it is pulling as you go for a 5* in my current roster state. I only mention that to say that 5 years ago dilution was already a hot topic to the point that game systems were implemented to combat it, so spooling up the dilution machine yet again is going to be interesting.

Adding more 3*s to the mix (without doing anything else like replacing heroic tokens with Mighty or infusing a ton of shards to increase the frequency of cover drops significantly) will only serve to make growing and ultimately farming those lower tiers slow to a crawl. So 5* players will feel an economy recession just as much as the 3 and 4* player, though it will matter less to them.
    I was in the exact same stage as you when vaulting occurred. I went from getting 1-3 covers for a new 4* to suddenly being able to fully champ them by the time they rotated out of the latest 12. It was a Godsend for a new player trying to break into 4* land.

The current game does the same by featuring new 4* heavily for a few months in PvP/PvE so that new players can definitely cover them by the time they aren't featured.

Still, I do wish they would group all the 4* into say 4 groups. Then each season, rotate a different group into the 'latest' tokens so that instead of pulling in a diluted pool of 120+ 4*, the pool would only be 30 or so. You could still shard characters not in the latest pool but at least if you wanted to go hard after an older 4* you could break a hoard/open a lot of tokens during the month they were featured.

KGB
  • WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 906 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2022
    @KGB I like your 4* grouping idea a lot.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    EienRyuu said:
    EienRyuu said:
    You might as well choose 9.  Your roster determines the opponents you are matched with not the level chosen.  The level chosen only changes the rewards for which you are playing.

This is one of the most counterintuitive things in the game.
    Sorry for writing that much later.
    I was out of the city for a bit plus I got right back into work when I returned, so yeah... xD

As for this, let's say that is true that the roster determines that. But there should be some importance to levels, right?! For example, right now even in 7 I have to skip most of the time because I come across boosted characters that are more powerful than mine. Like I have to find someone that is on 1 cover just so that I have the chance to beat them. xD
    And I think that the occurrence of meeting only 5 stars will increase at least slightly in 9. So I am cool with the tier for now. Also, I can at least place in this one much better than I will be probably in 9.

Thanks though. Good luck out there!  :)

Shield Clearance Level will not affect who you can fight in any way whatsoever. It only determines who you compete against for placement. Always select the highest level for PvP unless you can finish at the top in your SCL.You will be matched up against the same pool of opponents regardless of what you do so might as well select the highest prize categories unless you always get top 1 or whatever.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    @KGB I like your 4* grouping idea a lot.  
    Disney Emoji Blitz groups their token pools like this. But they just have currencies to spend rather than tokens specific to a store usually.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:

See the post above you.
    Some players don't understand that more dilution is bad for everyone.
    Some players never get, after repeating thousands of times, that this is a gacha game and it never will stop to release characters. 
    Do you want to fight dilution?
    Try to sharget a character. 

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    Do you want to fight dilution?
    Try to sharget a character. 

Shargetting a player doesn't fight dilution.  It does help you get a specific character quicker, but doesn't fight dilution overall.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    As always is good to separate what it's good for the player and what it's good for the game. 
    There is of course a big dilution of characters. 
    The player can sharget those 3* 4* and 5* who wants.
    Yes, he needs to pull in order to get those characters filling those shards bars eventually because the game is about this.
    As mentioned above, there are vaults featuring 4*s. There are 4* stores for to get those characters on each 4* pvp: if there were easy ways to help to adquire characters and help to fight dilution then 2 ways to monetise in game  would be down: devs will think twice or triple before helping to much with the dilution. 
    On every mode, and each time more than before, the game wants to remark that this is about getting all characters and eventually, on time, just growing stronger.
    There is no other way for to roster all characters and to evolve all of them, just to follow the path the game shows you.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Yes we all understand that this is not a player facing move, even though it is being presented as servicing low tier players.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Bad said:
    As always is good to separate what it's good for the player and what it's good for the game. 
    Sometimes, what's good for the player IS what's good for the game. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Generally speaking an engaged player base is good for the game. It’s like agriculture - you can farm sustainably or you can do slash and burn agriculture that’ll cash out big one or two times and then the soil is ruined. Not saying this is that extreme by any means, but the concept of “enlightened self interest” is one I like to use when I can in my business: that’s where I do something that benefits you because there is a benefit to me on the back end of it.
  • EienRyuu
    EienRyuu Posts: 80 Match Maker
    EienRyuu said:
    So in PvP everyone in the same time slot are pitted against each other. You get the same opponents regardless, whether in SCL1 or SCL10. The only difference between SCL7 and 9 will be the placement at the end. If you’re going progression only the go for the highest SCL you are able. 
    DAZ0273 said:
    EienRyuu said:
    Shield Clearance Level will not affect who you can fight in any way whatsoever. It only determines who you compete against for placement. Always select the highest level for PvP unless you can finish at the top in your SCL.You will be matched up against the same pool of opponents regardless of what you do so might as well select the highest prize categories unless you always get top 1 or whatever.
    Ok, I will try to play in the highest possible lvl.

But if I do get hit much more often, then it's on you guys.... xDD

Thanks though.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    EienRyuu said:
    EienRyuu said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    EienRyuu said:
    Ok, I will try to play in the highest possible lvl.

But if I do get hit much more often, then it's on you guys.... xDD

Thanks though.
    This is what roughly affects who can attack you and who you can attack in Versus, ignoring outside factors such as Grills or SHIELD Check rooms and all that malarky:

MMR which takes into count - What is the average level of your highest characters on your roster? How many points do you have compared to the person attacking you/you want to attack? Are you Shielded? What time in the event are you playing? What Time slice are you playing?

MMR starts off as a static value but as things change during the event it stretches and even breaks in an effort to try and find you matches based upon the above. For example if you are playing at a time where lots of people are shielded, there are obviously going to be less viable targets available to fight and this influences how far MMR will stretch to try and find opponents. If you "break" MMR i.e. obtain such a high score in comparison to most other teams that you would normally be able to see at your normal MMR level then the game will start to present you teams that you cannot normally queue up. More often than not these teams are not worth lots of points the higher your score climbs until you reach a certain level where MMR goes a bit haywire. On the flip side if you start an event later you might get presented with juicy points targets because the target players score is so much higher than the one you currently have. Which is why people shield at certain score targets (unless they are so powerful they don't have to) - when players stay out unshielded at a certain level during events this is could a "float point" - it is a score level where you are not generally visible to most other players and so can pause your climb. - the minute you start to receive multiple hits, 2 or more then you know the game is up and you either shield or get beaten down. If you play SHIELD Sim you will notice often if you don't play hard at the beginning because a lot more players don't bother shielding once they are done with progression that you can queue a lot of high 70 points targets but this decreases as you go.

MMR also takes note of certain levels in the game - if you have numerous low covered 5* that are levelled up to 270 or even above, MMR thinks you have a champed 4* roster because it struggles to differentiate between well covered/champed characters and over levelled but poorly covered characters, normally 5*. 5* might have champed 4* health but at 1 or 2 covers they don't have champed 4* firepower.

Finally - Boosted characters - MMR seems to ignore Boosted characters levels when searching for an opponent and looks at base level instead. This typically comes into play when somebody has a low covered 5* which might only be at level 255 but is boosted to 368 or whatever it is however the game ignores the 368 part and searches for 255 level characters which explains why you can get such mismatches and be hit by players who seem to have a much better roster than you but are just benefitting from a boost week.

I may have missed things and MMR has never been fully explained so is based on a combination of player observation over many years and Dev comments (for example it was confirmed many years back that Versus score system is based upon the Elo rating system)