***** Chasm (Ben Reilly) *****

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it's the closest ability to shut down all passive powers at the start of the battle except for those resistant to stun.

BRB/R4G/Mindless Ones/Gorr/Lokigator--> start of battle abilities countered and rendered useless. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it is really good that there is a counter to SW and Colosus, but I am starting to think this character will move the Meta backwards not forwards.  When you go pick 3 Sim and some PVP events it will be Okoye, IHulk, this character.  The reason why is SW will be stunned then IHulk will just destroy everyone.  Bringing a Moonknight/BP to the fight won’t matter becuase neither reduce damage like SW.  

the sad thing is this characters first 3 powers don’t matter that much since the stun every turn is going to be the power that moves the meta backwards to IHulk Okoye
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime said:
    I think it is really good that there is a counter to SW and Colosus, but I am starting to think this character will move the Meta backwards not forwards.  When you go pick 3 Sim and some PVP events it will be Okoye, IHulk, this character.  The reason why is SW will be stunned then IHulk will just destroy everyone.  Bringing a Moonknight/BP to the fight won’t matter becuase neither reduce damage like SW.  

the sad thing is this characters first 3 powers don’t matter that much since the stun every turn is going to be the power that moves the meta backwards to IHulk Okoye
    Stun every turn? Isn't it once at the star of battle and again on revive?

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    wymtime said:

Correct. Scarlet Witch will just place her repeater on turn 2. If anything, Doc Thor is a much bigger counter to that team than this character. I appreciate the RPS aspect of these new characters. 

Carnifex said:
    So do their prebattle powers not go off at all? Or do they go off when they come unstunned?

What about Mindless One's tiles? 
    Their powers won't go off. It would no longer be the start of battle, which is a power requirement. So this character should neuter Mindless Ones tiles. 

Halle-freaking-lujah!!

Switching from Rocket/Juggs/Guardian back to Thanosing trivial nodes (with this character) is a meta reversion I can get behind, just so I don’t have to wait for each of those stupid tiles to trickle in.

Really wish we had more saved teams. I’d be willing to pay (in game currency or $$) for the privilege. 

• wymtime
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    wymtime said:

You are right I read it wrong.  I thought it stunned the other team each turn just till it was there turn.  
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    658_2 said:
    Yeah, someone do the math on how many pulls on average you need to champ a set of 5s, if starting with two set covers and enough shards for 2 more (via playing pve to progression during time in LLs). Gotta be closer to 200 than 300
    This question (and many more) are covered here: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/87034/calculating-champ-probabilities#latest
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The succesful turning from meta backwards to meta forward would be to bring another venom with you. Then everyone is stunned and SW hammering again.
    I thought Jhor would be the meta unavoidable character and look at this, this kinda 6* character passive will be the real deal. 
    Awesome characters who shake the meta for real, and not what we were used to!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    This is definitely Thane. 
    -Villain with 3 affiliations, one of which is likely Inhuman.
    -'Genetic Memory', being associated to him as the son of Thanos.
    -The colors are exactly the same as 3/5* Thanos, Black, Purple, Green.
    -A kit built around damaging and healing.
    -Resurrection is among his powers, which explains the revive.

Venom affiliation could be villain, sinister six, symbiote.
    Venom 1* and 4* have all these colors.
    Genetic memory, symbiote.
    I don't know about resurrection but one version of him on one plot could have it, why not.
    But most importantly, the 60th spiderman anniversary.
    I would be a bit disappointed if we got Venom ( a character going by that name for first time who debuted in 1987 a full 25 years after Spidey did) as a celebration of Spider-man's 60th but I guess that might also just be because I kind'a despise Venom. So I hope is not him for purely selfish reasons. 
  • benr69
    benr69 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ben Reilly : genetic clone of Spider-Man.  Fan favorite from comics.  Thus also web tiles.  Additionally the clones can deteriorate.  Hoping for this hero version & not the latest villain version showing up in the upcoming Dark Web comic book story. 
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His ability to possibly shake up the meta and be a meta character has me leaning towards waiting to pull for him over Gargantos. Pending numbers of course.

The first turns stun has the potential to have a LOT of uses. Even without being creative, it allows Jane Foster to get her passive off the next turn already, or Shang Chi another turn to possibly go infinite in pick 3. It has the potential to be broken, where you're going to have to have this character on every team, even to just counter the other team's first turn stun.
  • Vhailorx
    edited July 2022
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Vhailorx said:
    wymtime said:

You are right I read it wrong.  I thought it stunned the other team each turn just till it was there turn.  

yeah, I would have been concerned about that too. if the passive worked that way it would almost completely negate all defensive passives.
  • Acemontiero
    Acemontiero Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The way Colossus currently works on defense, the player gets a "free turn" where his match damage reduction hasn't started applying yet. With the new character stunning him at the start of the battle, does that mean the player would get two turns of matches where Colossus' match damage reduction hasn't kicked in yet?
  • Vhailorx
    edited July 2022
    Options
    The way Colossus currently works on defense, the player gets a "free turn" where his match damage reduction hasn't started applying yet. With the new character stunning him at the start of the battle, does that mean the player would get two turns of matches where Colossus' match damage reduction hasn't kicked in yet?

That's possible.  it will be a question of order of operations; when do the defensive team's passives proc? is it immediately when they leave stun (which will be on the start of player round 2), or is it not until the beginning of their turn (beginning of AI round 2).
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Very thankful to have a character that can remove “start of battle” abilities! Definitely integrates well with the current metas.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The only problem I have with this character is that I'm going to have to choose between them and Shuma-Gargantos.
  • wymtime
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    wymtime said:
    Vhailorx said:
    wymtime said:

yeah, I would have been concerned about that too. if the passive worked that way it would almost completely negate all defensive passives.
    Now it will be really interesting.  This character will be great against mindless ones, but might not be super strong in PVP.  The AP steal will be nice as well as the resurrection, but depending on the buff list for each week he might not be super strong
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Vhailorx said:
    wymtime said:
    Vhailorx said:
    wymtime said:

Now it will be really interesting.  This character will be great against mindless ones, but might not be super strong in PVP.  The AP steal will be nice as well as the resurrection, but depending on the buff list for each week he might not be super strong
    It's not AP steal. It's AP destruction for both teams! At 5 covers this character is going to be stronger than pre-nerf Gambit since he can potentially destroy 3 AP per team in the strongest color of their front character.

As players we can specify the AI ordering so can decide which color to deny but it will cut both ways denying your colors too if you keep switching who is in front.

When you use this character you want an all match damage team since firing powers could be difficult with all the AP destruction (or you want Garg as his partner since Garg's passive loves to find empty enemy AP pools).

KGB
  • allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I kinda want this to be Moira MacTaggart, given her current X-Men arc.  She reincarnates, she doesn't really have any powers other than reincarnating, she's heel-turned now, and she kinda changes the future.  Also ties in to the current Hellfire stuff.

It's probably Dylan Brock though.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since this character will probably be tanking, just don’t bring someone with a black active ability (Sorry colossus). Hulkoye will be fine because they can still fire yellow/red and likely drain unused black/green (who cares?).

Shang will eventually have the highest match damage, and him losing red AP will hurt with this character. 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Since this character will probably be tanking, just don’t bring someone with a black active ability (Sorry colossus). Hulkoye will be fine because they can still fire yellow/red and likely drain unused black/green (who cares?).

Shang will eventually have the highest match damage, and him losing red AP will hurt with this character. 
    Unless I am misunderstanding their green passive match ability, if you want to maximize damage output from this character the goal is to keep both your and your opponent's AP levels as close to zero as possible. Considering that black is their highest match damage color and Colossus' black is only 6 AP, it would seem that chasing black and then dumping it with Colossus' active black would be a good strategy, no?  The trade off is that Colossus won't be tanking so you won't be getting his extra damage. Additionally, they both will be hitting hard with match damage at least initially since they will cover all colors except red. 

I am pretty sure Colossus is probably one of their best partners for pick 2 PvP, especially if the third character can function as an outlet for green/purple.  

From what I can tell, this character won't play very nicely with most other characters since their damage output is reliant on keeping AP levels on both teams low and they will be burning your own AP stockpile. If you are trying to use them as your primary damage dealer, you basically need to pair them with characters that share their same primary colors so you can chase those colors and release them. Since Team-UP AP doesn't count toward the AP penalty, it seems iHulk/Okoye + this character is ok to run with for PvE but I think there are better characters to team them up with for most situations.  I don't think this team will do much against Colossus/Wanda teams though except do some damage from the initial free hit that comes with the start of battle stun.

I am curious if Mighty Thor is intended to keep this character in check since she produces charged tiles that will help raise AP levels quickly and destroys special tiles which should help prevent their revival and/or heal ability. 

Then again, I might just be misunderstanding the overall design.