***** Chasm (Ben Reilly) *****

Comments

• jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2022
    Wording implies AP destruction happens at end of turn regardless of whether Abyss tiles are matched. FYI. 

Matching the tiles just denies AP and creates web tiles. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    tonypq said:
    Am I the only one who feels some of us are over rating Chasm a bit ?

He seems interesting as any other near the top of mid range 5s sure, but I'm not sure how crazy for him I am. The all passive is kind of cool I guess even if there's some wonky tug of war mechanics involved. I wouldn't necessarily miss having actives as long as the passives and overall kit synergy seem to work good enough together. 
    I think it depends on your definition of "over rating".  His kit in and of itself is fine.  But where he will shine, at least for me, is three fold: PVE Mindless Ones (just taking care of them is reason to get him), PVP Col/Wanda and a must have for PVP overall.  By PVP overall, I mean that he will be run a lot (I think) in PVP and the best way to deal with him is to bring your own.

Are people overrating him?  Perhaps.  It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next month or so.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Wording implies AP destruction happens at end of turn regardless of whether Abyss tiles are matched. FYI. 

Matching the tiles just denies damage and AP, and created web tiles. 
    Do Abyss tiles not do damage?  I'm not seeing that in the power descriptions.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Matching Abyss tiles denies ap, but not match damage. It's cool though. 

How can we keep Chasm's aps as low as possible?

How can we create Abyss tiles more quickly?
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Ah you right, they still do damage. My bad
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    tonypq said:

He seems interesting as any other near the top of mid range 5s sure, but I'm not sure how crazy for him I am. The all passive is kind of cool I guess even if there's some wonky tug of war mechanics involved. I wouldn't necessarily miss having actives as long as the passives and overall kit synergy seem to work good enough together. 
    I think the exciting thing about chasm, much like with fosthor, is that his floor seems quite high. at absolute worst he will still be a hard counter to several annoying and common PVP/PVE opponents. That's useful.
    And if his kit works really well in practice (i.e., it's easy to keep abyss and web tiles out on the board, and manage ap pools appropriately) then he could be really really strong (as a character with true healing, revive-unless-killed-last, enemy ap suppression, and match damage way higher than even colossus). 
    A new character with a possible range from "useful" to "meta beast" is worth some playerbase excitement, even if the love goes a bit overboard.
    PSA: the trackrecord for characters that require managing AP levels to maximize value (e.g., Agent Venom) is that they play extremely poorly when undercovered, even if they are actually quite good when covered and champed. So let's not jump to conclusions next week when chasm hits the game.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    tonypq said:

I think it depends on your definition of "over rating".  His kit in and of itself is fine.  But where he will shine, at least for me, is three fold: PVE Mindless Ones (just taking care of them is reason to get him), PVP Col/Wanda and a must have for PVP overall.  By PVP overall, I mean that he will be run a lot (I think) in PVP and the best way to deal with him is to bring your own.

Are people overrating him?  Perhaps.  It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next month or so.

I actually don't think chasm will be much better than the currently available options against mindless ones.  I suppose he will be useful to prevent otherwise unavoidable early damage from mindless attack tiles, but once you get deeper into the match I can't imagine that chasm will be more effective than morbius or doc ock as suppressing those SAP tiles and CDs.
    I think chasm's strengths will lie more as a PVP deterrent and in offering crazy high match damage for PVE trivial nodes.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once again, good old cyclops will be a close friend to a high damage matcher like chasm.
    Who will be the third wheel? Ideally a spider for to be able to heal all that damage and deaths at the end of turn. 
    By the way I guess equipping the match damage boost will turn the battle into an uncontrolled festival of deaths.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
    Vhailorx said:
    tonypq said:

I actually don't think chasm will be much better than the currently available options against mindless ones.  I suppose he will be useful to prevent otherwise unavoidable early damage from mindless attack tiles, but once you get deeper into the match I can't imagine that chasm will be more effective than morbius or doc ock as suppressing those SAP tiles and CDs.
    I think chasm's strengths will lie more as a PVP deterrent and in offering crazy high match damage for PVE trivial nodes.
    Just imagine the time saved if Chasm suppresses the Mindless Ones banners!
    Devs be like "That's odd. Players are finishing events with mindless ones in half the time. Must be a glitch that we need to iron out."
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    shardwick said:
    MegaBee said:
    Vhailorx said:
    tonypq said:

Just imagine the time saved if Chasm suppresses the Mindless Ones banners!
    Devs be like "That's odd. Players are finishing events with mindless ones in half the time. Must be a glitch that we need to iron out."
    Old devs or new devs?
  • HoundofShadow
    I must say, the new dev team knows what to say. Most of their replies related to pves feel like something lifted from the forums.  :D
  • Al_Paca
    Al_Paca Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    What's the verdict:  is it worth waiting for Chasm to spend my tokens hoard as opposed to spending it now and getting Garg?
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,573 Chairperson of the Boards
    You could always go all in now and try to champ all three in there then wait 2-3 months to get at chasm. 
    This looks like the best 4 5*s in a row potentially ever.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    dianetics said:
    You could always go all in now and try to champ all three in there then wait 2-3 months to get at chasm. 
    This looks like the best 4 5*s in a row potentially ever.
    Totally agree with this.  Gargs may not be meta but he's not a dud.  When boosted, that Blue is a true killer.  All four in a row are worth champing, IMHO.  Then again, I champ all of them so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
  • Al_Paca
    Al_Paca Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    I have enough tokens to champ latest 3 but I don't play actively enough to consistently champ anymore, so realistically I have to choose 1.  Should I go Garg or Chasm?  Or too soon to tell?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with go for both. Three months is a lot of time to stack pulls and now we have 2 covers from boss events plus 2-3 from playing PVE regularly. I’d put the effort in to grind for these characters personally but understand that’s not feasible for everyone. 

I would say it’s too soon to tell, sure. But we won’t know how good Chasm really is until Garg is long gone from Latests. So you’ll be taking a calculated risk no matter what. Given all this, my vote would be Chasm for two reasons. First, people are saying Garg isn’t going to supplant any of the current meta. He hits like a truck, but needs a battery to get him going. If you don’t have Hawkeye then it’s even easier to pass on him. Second, I love whoever said that Chasm seems to have a high floor. The unique thing he does do (first turn team stun) makes him a good counter character for some current metas and likely will be helpful for future ones as well. We don’t know how the match damage, revive, suppression, etc. will fare in practice, but do know that his parlor trick will give him use as a counter character, and that’s nothing to sneeze at. 
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 290 Mover and Shaker
    Al_Paca said:
    What's the verdict:  is it worth waiting for Chasm to spend my tokens hoard as opposed to spending it now and getting Garg?
    I am going to pull now.  I am hoping I get lucky and have enough pulls left over to be able to save up for Chasm in a few months.  I feel hr might be better than Garg, but I am not seeing the meta.  He does have a place and unique build though.  My decision is partly based on me being impatient, and garg synergy with HE, who I really like for some reason.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    How does he work with okoye/apoc, does he do increased damage to self + opponent's front person?
  • HoundofShadow
    Given that Okoye doesn't boost 3* Thanos self-team damage, it's safe to say it won't happen with Chasm.