***** Chasm (Ben Reilly) *****

Options

Comments

• IrisRyu
    IrisRyu Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Not sure it’s a new thought, but first impressions are that his initial stun is a bit of a gimmick when he’s paired with like covered teammates. After the first two rounds his match damage increase advantage is gone. Paired with a Mighty Thor/Shang-Chi/Colossus, it can be gone after the first match. Without consistently being in front, his Abyss tiles/AP drain aren’t more than a blip. Save him for last and it’s game over.

Where he’s dangerous is when he tanks, significantly, for the whole match. I’m thinking an Okoye/iHulk-level cover spread. If he can flood the board with Abyss tiles, get ready to settle in for a long match. I think he might be most annoying/dangerous with newer 5* players where the cover differential with existing 5*’s could be a bit greater than for vets. I don’t think he’s meta changing, but he’s fun.
  • IrisRyu
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Champed Chasm as he entered latest. My thoughts:

Chasm is the goods. It just took me a while to figure how to use him. He’s a splashable 3rd to go with, tank, and cover a good offensive duo. I plan on trying to get his level up to among the highest on my roster. 

Loved the thoughtfulness of this post and agree that FosThor/Crystal are amazing with Chasm. My Chasm is only at 271 and is a good 20/30 covers behind those two, but I already see the synergy. I have my MT set at 5/5/3 and Abyss tiles are getting blown up pretty frequently, so between web tiles and Crystal, Chasm is normally healing all over the place. As a result, he doesn’t die that often mid-game. Are you reliably able to get his revive off most games? It seems counterintuitive, but I may have to rethink my FosThor build to slow her down a bit!

I’m with you and am going to try to get as many covers for Chasm as possible.

Thoughts on a Chasm/iHulk/Yellowjacket team when you need to punch up/defense? My iHulk is at 450, but my Yellowjacket is only at 10 covers. I’m wondering if that team would work or if it would be too trolly.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IrisRyu said:
    Champed Chasm as he entered latest. My thoughts:

Chasm is the goods. It just took me a while to figure how to use him. He’s a splashable 3rd to go with, tank, and cover a good offensive duo. I plan on trying to get his level up to among the highest on my roster. 

Loved the thoughtfulness of this post and agree that FosThor/Crystal are amazing with Chasm. My Chasm is only at 271 and is a good 20/30 covers behind those two, but I already see the synergy. I have my MT set at 5/5/3 and Abyss tiles are getting blown up pretty frequently, so between web tiles and Crystal, Chasm is normally healing all over the place. As a result, he doesn’t die that often mid-game. Are you reliably able to get his revive off most games? It seems counterintuitive, but I may have to rethink my FosThor build to slow her down a bit!
    FosThor can blow up Chasm tiles but you create just as many. She can only blow up 1 near a charged tile. You make 2 every match by Chasm. What normally happens is FosThor blows up a chasm tile or two or a web tile or two, but it’ll result into cascade that gives you a match in chasm’s colors and put 2 more chasm tiles or even more.  You only need 3 on the field to revive. 

I can go into matches with Chasm at practically any kind of health. 75%, 35%, 50
    %….. it almost doesn’t really matter because at the start of the match, you get 
    2 free turns to get 3 chasm tiles on the field and revive. I can darn near plan for a chasm death and board reset when his hp is low enough. 

I haven’t tried Chasm with IHulk/YJ but I may. I was messing around with Electro teams but my electro is about 13 lvls higher than Chasm so she tanks over him earlier in a match than I would like. My YJ otoh isn’t that much higher than Chasm so I might do some labbing with those 2.
  • IrisRyu
    Options
    Sorry, but I had to hit you in Simulator to gauge how they that trio does on defense and they are, indeed, annoyingly troublesome. Totally beatable, but definitely not the cake walk that Scarlet Steel are becoming.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Options
    So 2 things……

tried Chasm with YJ. YJ doesn’t stay invisible long because Chasm tanks 2 of his colors. 

And the other thing….. I ran Chasm with Killmonger vs a Scarlett Steel team. The opponent Wanda was champed at lvl 456. 

I did a match 3 on purple with Chasm with opponent’s Wanda in front on turn 1. 

The damage was 30000. 

Holy ****. 
  • IrisRyu
    Options
    Thanks for labbing YJ! I didn’t realize his invisibility required him to tank, so you saved me an eff ton of misplaced resources!

And that’s great news on Killmonger! I didn’t even think about him. Chasm partners well with so many 5*’s. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2022
    Options
    So 2 things……

tried Chasm with YJ. YJ doesn’t stay invisible long because Chasm tanks 2 of his colors. 

And the other thing….. I ran Chasm with Killmonger vs a Scarlett Steel team. The opponent Wanda was champed at lvl 456. 

I did a match 3 on purple with Chasm with opponent’s Wanda in front on turn 1. 

The damage was 30000. 

Holy ****. 
    This suggests that sighclops might be a useful partner, since his yellow is cheap enough to cast and will help chasm out quite a bit, plus his tileswap power might be a reliable way to get more chasm tiles out post-revive (once chasm's match damage is boosted by cyc's yellow). 
    5* carnage and banner should also be a solid way to get more chasm tiles out (though the extra ap from matches could be good or bad depending on whether you have a good outlet).

I am looking forward to champing him (though it will be quite a while for me after bad luck on my first hoard with him in the pool).

• IrisRyu
    Options
    I held a grudge against Chasm for disabling Big Wheel’s Speed Points for DAYS upon introduction and thought he was meh in his PVP. Plus, I was unimpressed with his defensive capabilities with the couple of champed Chasm’s running around last season (sorry, lucky few) and thought he was destined to sit along aside Ultron in the never used portion of my roster.

But Tiger Wong’s breakdown is so spot on that I can’t praise it enough! Chasm has opened up a whole new play style where you’re constantly chasing secondary matches in his partners’ colors to avoid the AP drain. Admittedly, FosThor helps a lot with that, but Crystal’s AP passive on match 4’s has also been the deciding factor on firing powers the next turn many times over. 

My little baby champed Chasm at 451 has taken down full 550 teams. Before anyone goes calling for a nerf (please, never), he’s easily beatable. Despite me being Chasm’s No. 1 fanboy, I will look for Chasm matches, because he’s Shang-level easy to take out. The 550’s can rightly smack me back in about 15 seconds versus the 5 minutes it’ll take me to climb that mountain. Still, I think having the option to take that fight on without it ending in inevitable defeat (especially, on retaliations), should be an achievable goal in a match puzzle game.

I remember reading on some board once that the stages of MPQ are champing Dr. Strange as a 3*, Polaris as a 4* and Shang-Chi as a 5*. Each opens a new level of play and competitiveness. Without being hyperbolic (okay, maybe a little), Chasm has done the exact same for me and reinvigorated my interest in a game that I already loved!  Well played, Devs!
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @Tiger_Wong thanks for the in depth analysis! I haven’t champ  chasm but your post give me good hope that he will be a fun addition!
  • Tiger_Wong
    Options
    I’ve been using/labbing Chasm almost constantly since i champed him and I keep coming back to him with Killmonger. I just think that the match damage boost of KM on top of Chasm’s turn 1/2 match damage boost is just so strong that I almost feel like I need it. And KM’s black passive is so awesome when it hits on the opponents turn after chasm dies.and I can match Wanda’s strongest color 4 times and she’ll be dead. 

But I have a few problems with this duo. 

1) vs colossus (neuters match damage unless stunned and neither chasm nor KM have yellow as a strong color)
    2) vs another Chasm (no way to hit hard enough)
    3) other than match damage, there’s nearly. no way to hit hard. 

Looking for a solid 3rd that can really push this duo over the top. 
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would love to hear some more thoughts on Chasm partners. There has to be some other options that seem to enhance the viability of older, active-reliant characters out there. SMPP is actually quite good as Chasm’s partner in the Web 2.0 event with Miles.

Those three together can keep the ap flowing through all color channels this leaving Chasm to tank and match pretty high.

Something I noticed that benefited Chasm, having an invisible partner. As Miles went invisible, one tried to capitalize on his “Surprise” by gathering purple or webs to passively generate the color. Well in this scenario where you would destroy your purple if you chase it, thanks to Chasm, the invisibility throws you to the back after your lead match and thus does not deplete the ap you just gather. 

Minute detail, I know, but have you seen the font on this guy’s abilities?! I’m afraid details will matter.
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Confirmed: 4* Miles, 5* Spiderman (Peter Parker), and Chasm make a fun and sustainable trio. Rainbow coverage, burns Chasm colors (Black, purple, green), while still allowing blue, red, and yellow outlets. 

Can punch well above its weight in the Web 2.0 event with only a 454 Chasm and 454 SMPP. Miles is there for passive ap production and the lucky “surprise” on a loaded board.

With all the Abyss and Web tiles so prevalent and Miles spec’d to (5/5/3), I can generate enough passive AP to spam all of 5/6 colored powers and keep Chasm’s match damage well above 200% spec’d to (5/4/4). Max 225%.

Still seeking any other findings before my Jane Foster Thor is ready to champ.
  • Tiger_Wong
    edited September 2022
    Options
    chasm is a one-character Welcome To Shield wrecker. 

My chasm is only lvl 452 but each of the Test of Skill nodes became trivial as the AI either becomes incapable of firing a power (thing/Mordo/Starlord) or/and you kill their cheap AP generator in 2 turns (Mockingbird/IH/doombot). This becomes hella clutch because sometimes you are given 2 characters who have no synergy or are a bad matchup vs the Test of Skill characters. Or one of the characters are just bad at their setting like Gorr was. 

You just throw Chasm out there, have him stun/tank/destroy AP/revive/repeat and walk away unscathed. 

I don’t know if Chasm is the best tank in the game or a top 10 character or all that stuff. But I’ll tell you this…… he solves a lot of problems. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Did anyone notice that Chasm's start of the game stun ability is bugged? When I bring my Chasm against another Chasm in sim, sometimes, both teams are stunned and sometimes only the enemy teams are stunned. Based on additional info from the dev in the earlier pages, both teams are supposed to be stunned, except when there are characters that can't be stunned.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Options
    Did anyone notice that Chasm's start of the game stun ability is bugged? When I bring my Chasm against another Chasm in sim, sometimes, both teams are stunned and sometimes only the enemy teams are stunned. Based on additional info from the dev in the earlier pages, both teams are supposed to be stunned, except when there are characters that can't be stunned.
    It depends on where Chasm is in the order at the Versus screen. 

If your Chasm is in the middle and opponents is too, then you’ll stun each other. 
    If your Chasm is on the left or right and the opponents is in the middle, the opponent stuns you, but you won’t stun them. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for that explanation. It makes sense now because mine is always in the middle. It seems like a lot of Chasm players are not aware of this as well.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Finally managed to champ him! But getting used to playing chasm is taking me some time…
    how do you play against mirror chasm match? I find it very difficult to time it to kill him because both chasm generate so much abyss tiles and web tiles. 
  • Tiger_Wong
    Options
    atomzed said:
    Finally managed to champ him! But getting used to playing chasm is taking me some time…
    how do you play against mirror chasm match? I find it very difficult to time it to kill him because both chasm generate so much abyss tiles and web tiles. 
    That’s gonna depend on your team composition. A team I like to use vs Chasm with Chasm is

Chasm 4/4/5
    5* Spiderman (Peter Parker)
    Miles Morales 5/5/3

i used this team vs a Chasm/IH/SheHulk team recently. The plan was to kill IH a few times early (not hard to do) so he’ll tank more on the opponents turn. He’ll also injure his team quite a bit. You won’t have to worry about his AOE because the board will fill with chasm and wen tiles very quickly. 

Anyway, MM’s AP generation helps out a lot along with SMPP’s red. You’ll gain about 14-21 quickly with all the chasm tiles and web tiles being matched. Once chasm is close to death while you can cast SMPP’s red and (hopefully) kill him with the damage or resulting cascade. Then he’ll revive and stun you. But that’s ok because all the chasm tiles will be destroyed, which makes a bunch of web tiles. Then on your next turn, fire SMPP’s red again and kill him so he can’t revive as there probably won’t be enough chasm tiles on the field. 
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have this fella champed, been using him quite a bit. So far he is best to tank in my opinion, very good at that. i have 3/5/5 but came here for some more pointers. He is good to pair with Thor at 50% and or Banner ive found. sometimes when it hit right you can match once then it seems like 2 mins pass with thors board shake and banners too before you have a go again