***** Thor (Mighty Thor) *****

1789101113»

Comments

  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2022
    The moment shield sim gives you JThor when you reached high points, you know that she's in the top 5. It's going to take a while because many players are skipping Gargantos and KK.

    My mmr opponents at >1800 points are mostly Polaris/BRB/Kitty, Apocalypse/Wanda/Colossus and a recent one would be SC/Wanda/Colossus.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    658_2 said:
    dianetics said:
    So I’ve been using her pretty regularly the last couple weeks, and I think it’s pretty clear she is a top 10 5*
    Same and agreed. Her powers are so spammable and both self and teammate supercharging, she can punch way above her weight in pick 2. I took down a 550 Col/SW with 456 JThor/Thor, and easily (with a TU stun). And given how many D wins I keep waking up to, and how little problem I’m having offensively with anything in Sim (except the champed Chasm team), Jthor/Pol/BRB is probably the next dominant SIM team and it’s obviously a great Challenge node team. The only thing JThor lacks is pick 2 defense. I have zero hesitation saying she’s t10, and suspect she’s t5.
    I am not at all surprised to hear this as I think she was, on paper, the most obviously valuable 5* released since SC last year. That said, I was unsure whether she would be an extremely good 5* who fit in right at the top of the current game roster (i.e., a top ~10 or 15ish character), or whether she would redefine the meta completely (i.e, a top ~5 character).
    What or your thoughts? Is she a more or less essential 5* now (like SC) or is she just a very good option to have, but not essential (somewhere closer to Crystal or Garg)?

  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    She single/handedly puts Scarlett Steel on notice and even wipes out all Apoc’s repeaters in one turn. I think she’s better than HalfThor as you don’t have to drop her life to half to shake the board up. She really puts any character who relies on special tiles in a bind to the point that they’re basically unusable vs FosThor. 

    She hits hard. She’s self reliant. Her powers blend together well. And because of her blue passive, she’s very unpredictable to play against. 

    I feel like she’s top 5. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    She's easily top 5 even though she's not fast. Those cascades can be crazy even when played by AI. I means, cascades are AI biggest defense. Pair her up with characters who fire powers cheaply and players playing against them will be walking away with healthpack usage more frequently. She is so good she has no problem soloing 3 opponents. Yellow is probably her worst power because it's like resetting the game back to turn 1, so fire it only when you need to end the game.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    @Vhailorx it depends on what you value. She’s the most well rounded character in the game. She has strength in every area. But, to whatever extent it matters, she doesn’t supplant the meta in any way. She won’t take SC, Apoc or Oko’s spot in pve for tip top players. She doesn’t have a partner in pick 2 pvp that puts her above the Col/SW team. She can’t win Shield Training single handedly like SC. Will the absolute top players, who are entirely focused on placements, use her any time she’s not boosted? Doubt it. 

    On the other hand, if SC is the 1a character anybody entering 5 star play should build around, I’d say Thor is the 1b, and I’m not positive he’s the a and she’s the b. She has advantages over SC in that she plays great with almost everyone, not just a handful of characters, and her blue gives her tremendous in match defense *and*, importantly, versatility to pick a defensive strategy, whereas SC is 95% best defense is a good offense. 

  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    658_2 said:
    @Vhailorx it depends on what you value. She’s the most well rounded character in the game. She has strength in every area. But, to whatever extent it matters, she doesn’t supplant the meta in any way. She won’t take SC, Apoc or Oko’s spot in pve for tip top players. She doesn’t have a partner in pick 2 pvp that puts her above the Col/SW team. She can’t win Shield Training single handedly like SC. Will the absolute top players, who are entirely focused on placements, use her any time she’s not boosted? Doubt it. 

    On the other hand, if SC is the 1a character anybody entering 5 star play should build around, I’d say Thor is the 1b, and I’m not positive he’s the a and she’s the b. She has advantages over SC in that she plays great with almost everyone, not just a handful of characters, and her blue gives her tremendous in match defense *and*, importantly, versatility to pick a defensive strategy, whereas SC is 95% best defense is a good offense. 

    Well, and SC has true healing which makes him a lot more sustainable than fosthor.

  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,354 Chairperson of the Boards
    658_2 said:
    On the other hand, if SC is the 1a character anybody entering 5 star play should build around, I’d say Thor is the 1b, and I’m not positive he’s the a and she’s the b. 

    They are incredible dance partners for PvE...and PvP.
    As a pair they absolutely crush in PvE. No need to bring super squishy Valk, and you are less susceptible to bad boards.
    Maybe they won't supplant the meta, but they are giving me tons of defenses in PvP just because of how they work together. A lucky cascade can wipe a team out quickly.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm gonna have a dissenting opinion here, I do not think she is anywhere close to being meta (unlike say Shang-Chi, Colossus, Wanda, iHulk etc.).

    Her main problem being the damage output is pretty damn weak. On red, the damage is not bad but you need to have a lot of charged tiles around (which is a double-edged sword) or to match and destroy them for some more low damage. It just doesnt hit hard enough but it does cost only 6 AP. It's still too slow to ramp up.

    The damage on yellow is good but it has two big problems, it targets a random enemy (ugh) and it removes all charged tiles. The only reliable use of this power is to finish a target when theyre the only one remaining, not great.

    The blue power, this one is amazing. Its great at removing all sorts of specials with minimal effort. Sadly it does no damage by itself, and you need to rely on cascades (which are 100% random with her).

    For PVE, absolutely amazing utility. For PVP, never using her unless she's boosted. I tried to kill boosted 5*'s with her powers and it was very very sad.

    Overall, im pretty whelmed.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022

    Interesting take. I think the idea that she would be a standalone meta powerhouse like SC has not bourne out. As sinnerjfl says, she doesn't do quite enough damage to compete with the meta kings, and she does make lots of charged tiles in a way that can be dangerous against challenging opponents. Plus she has absolutely no defense or healing or other sustainability tools. So I am not sure she is a top 5 contender as I thought she might be before release.

    That said, she seems like an updated version of halfthor in that she provides passive, constant shake to keep the board fresh. But she doesn't require the babying that he does, and what she lacks in direct ap gen she will frequently make up with enemy special destruction and charged tiles. So she is right up there with the best 5* support options in the game, especially for anyone who needs to meet specific board conditions frequently and can therefore get hung on a stale board (e.g. SC matching purple and red, etc).

    Maybe if they hadn't pre-release nerfed her red she would have been the meta queen we sort of expected, instead of just a best-in-slot support 5*.

  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards

    @Vhailorx said:.

    Maybe if they hadn't pre-release nerfed her red she would have been the meta queen we sort of expected, instead of just a best-in-slot support 5*.

    Riri is in, and she’s able to spam charge tiles. I hoping that Jane and Riri can break the immortality meta. They don’t have the scarecrow factor, but if they are fast and can reliably kill the immortal Bros, then the 2 Ladies will be in for a shout.

  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

    @atomzed said:

    @Vhailorx said:.

    Maybe if they hadn't pre-release nerfed her red she would have been the meta queen we sort of expected, instead of just a best-in-slot support 5*.

    Riri is in, and she’s able to spam charge tiles. I hoping that Jane and Riri can break the immortality meta. They don’t have the scarecrow factor, but if they are fast and can reliably kill the immortal Bros, then the 2 Ladies will be in for a shout.

    That combo definitely seems great on paper. Lots of charge tiles everywhere to fuel fosthor, and lots of boardshake to keep riri's actives functional. But no defense anywhere. Are they a healthpack drain?

  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards

    @Vhailorx said:

    @atomzed said:

    @Vhailorx said:.

    Maybe if they hadn't pre-release nerfed her red she would have been the meta queen we sort of expected, instead of just a best-in-slot support 5*.

    Riri is in, and she’s able to spam charge tiles. I hoping that Jane and Riri can break the immortality meta. They don’t have the scarecrow factor, but if they are fast and can reliably kill the immortal Bros, then the 2 Ladies will be in for a shout.

    That combo definitely seems great on paper. Lots of charge tiles everywhere to fuel fosthor, and lots of boardshake to keep riri's actives functional. But no defense anywhere. Are they a healthpack drain?

    I not sure whether they are a health pack drain…. But judging by the cries for nerf (in other threads), I think they have potential to be meta changing or at least meta adjacent.

  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards

    This pvp week has all recent characters being boosted. Chasm, She-Hulk, Riri, MThor, Emma and Arcade.

    I have all of them champed and have good options in Hulking pvp. I tried Chasm + She-Hulk and Riri + Mthor. Both duos are good in their own right. No need to explain the immortal duo. The “electrifying” ladies are a good match against Chasm. I have no issues beating the immortal duos.

    I think the meta is better balanced with Riri and Mthor now.