New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• Nabistay
    Nabistay Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like the changes, except I'm finding it harder to see at a glance my powers are charged, and I strongly dislike to the point of hating when it goes dark on their turn. I keep thinking my phone is timing out and going dark. Plus it is so much harder to see with the dimming on their turn. 
  • RhetroAktive
    RhetroAktive Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I get what they were trying to do. I just think it needs some fixes and tweaks. The dimming is annoying and  makes it hard to plan out your next move. The notifications for when a power is full is almost invisible. I don't know how many times I missed having a power ready to fire already.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Will throw my hat in and repeat what has probably been said constantly throughout 7 pages.
    I hate the dimming on the enemy turn. 
    For some reason it seems slower, maybe because I'm having to look harder to differentiate the icons?
    But worst of all it is now harder to tell special tiles apart from character icons.
  • Kross
    Kross Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    I will echo many others. I don't mind the colors or the tiles.

I hate the dimming on the enemy's turn, and it's hard to tell if I have a power available.

Get rid of the dimming and make the power bars more noticeable and I'll be good.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,722 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What’s not to love? You now get to see lower than your favourite hero’s belt! Game changer!

I could type up an essay on why this is absolutely terrible but as I’ve been here for years I already know from experience the only way anything gets done is to review bomb, very sadly.

I’ve seen 99% horrible reviews on here and the Facebook pages, discord and line. None of that matters, they won’t talk to you on any of those. Only time I’ve ever seen a response is when people took to the app stores with pitch forks.

When a company offers up this sort of update and doesn’t even run it past the users before putting in all the work, well as I said in one of the first posts you are getting it whether you want it or not.
  • lilshir
    lilshir Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Honestly it's just too dark and too hard to watch. I definitely feel my eyes straining more to make out the matches. Haven't tried a PVE grind on it yet, here's to hoping I won't get a massive headache.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,664 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really like the highlighted match damage.

Everything else, not so much.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They must have someone who's into Gothic stuff in the team. That explains the colour theme used for the past UI changes. It will take some time to get used to it.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After playing with the update for a good amount of time to me it's fine. The initial shock was intense for sure.

There's been many times playing on autopilot thought it was my turn when it was the AI and trying to move tiles, heh. The turn differentiation idea is fine, just the full blacking out too drastic.  Maybe a clearer graying out would work better.
  • Jexy
    Jexy Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Options
    I hate this. Others have already said why. It makes me feel sick to play on account of the screen dimming.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 441 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Jexy said:
    I hate this. Others have already said why. It makes me feel sick to play on account of the screen dimming.
    I think one easy solution is to only darken the opposing team when it's not their turn. Like chess only the clock is toggled to indicate whose turn it is. The board is never messed with so both players get to strategise without disruption.

(I know in MPQ it's technically player vs AI but you know what I mean)
  • hipUK
    hipUK Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    I really love this game. I play religiously, and I've spent more (happily) on this game than any other game I've played... by a mile.

But this update makes the game borderline unplayable.  I'm not exaggerating: I'm reading a book while I play now. The visuals are all wrong, but it's the gameplay slowing down that makes it terrible to me - it's slowed down by a factor of 3 now that every animation aspect is unskippable.  

In Steam, at least you could skip some aspects of the animations that helped the speed of the game, but having to sit through every single element (each power used, each passive applied, foe downed, here's the next foe, etc) makes the majority of playing the game watching those strings of text rather than playing the game.

There is SO much repetition in the game that we shouldn't be forced to see a superfluous action over and over (probably millions of times for veteran players), and like 'Character Effects' we should have the option to shut all that off... at this point, it really does feel almost unplayable and for the first time in over a year of playing I'm not enthusiastic about playing today, it feels like a chore.
  • swongch
    swongch Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2021
    Options
    my eyes hurt......please let us choose if we can change it back....

I am a 8-year veteran....and the new tile design is not my cup of tea.....the tiles are no longer sharp and solid....making it very easy to mix up with special tiles since the special effect icons are now MUCH smaller than before.....and the enemy turn dimming is ANNOYING......

I am now very upset to see such an update after a long day of work......

I have not been very active on this forum.....but I feel like I must say something this time.
  • Freddy
    Freddy Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    * screen dimming causes eye strain!!
    * power bars harder to see
    * new colors, while pleasant, makes it harder to distinguish between them especially in powers
    * charge tiles are harder to see
    * special tiles are easier and harder to recognize

please consider using beta testers from the player base!!

Personally I’d prefer flat style over jelly tiles. Also pick shapes that evoke the colors’ themes.  These feel random. 
  • BlixTheFrog
    BlixTheFrog Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ok, I thought this was going to trigger some reaction. 😬
    My thought is it will get some time getting used to, but I’m starting to like it for different reasons. Curiously I kind of like the dimming effect because the countdown enemy tiles become more visible (I often missed one in the previous version).
    I do find it harder to know when someone has a power ready to fire, but actually, I was always bugged that you can’t immediately see which enemy is ready to strike during your turn (to know who to paralyze, for instance).
    It’s not the trainwreck that is described, imo, but we’re so often playing without thinking that such a change was bound to be controversial.
    I play on an iPad Pro, for the record.
  • TML
    TML Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Colorblind player chiming in and echoing the opinion of other users, the game is borderline unplayable for me.  Green looks like black, blue looks like purple.  Cannot tell what powers I'm firing.  It's going to take forever to do a battle, the shapes aren't as obvious at first glance.  Just about all bad.