New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    While the look is a bit better in some ways, the character icons on the tiles being more prominent doesn't seem like a beneficial change as it simply reduces the contrast between them and those of the special tiles, which are generally of more interest to most players.

Nearly forgot the other big negative part of the change, the screen dimming on enemy moves is far too obtrusive and distracting, what was the thinking behind it, you are probably going to give people headaches when you consider how many games somebody will play in a day if they do both pve and pvp even slightly competitively and it should be another toggle in the options.
  • Bergen
    Bergen Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    last color change and team up-boost screen change was also very bad, still the boosts add more option at the end of the page isnt fixed. colors are too close and distracting in a sense, fonts too small for phones... but looking to it they would probably not revert this, i didnt get the update yet but i cant contain myself for getting flicker effect and less contrast to have neusea it would be fun. do you even read human eye-brain coordination, you cant do anything that would resemble flickering (dimming frequently)... i dont think they even play the game more than half an hour before releasing, guess you will need to release a seizure warning next. instead of asking in forums make it default but optional and see yourself how much people like it...
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Update, the dimming between turns is now giving a headache and hurts my eyes. I really can't stand this.

Get rid of that at least.
  • StillMonsoon3
    StillMonsoon3 Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    The dimming on the AI turn is awful. It makes it impossible to plan out your next turn while the AI is moving.

Unless you are looking directly your power meter, it is super easy to miss that you have enough energy built up to fire a power. The yellow is extremely tough to see and I missed that I had enough stores up to fire Okoye's yellow.

Played against a Black Bolt in PvP and I couldn't pick up the charged tiles that he was laying down. The black charged tiles are almost  indistinguishable from non charged tiles.

It takes a long time to scan over the board looking for Match 4s. 

Hate this update. Hate it, hate it, hate it!
  • Bergen
    edited March 2021
    Options
    i literally got the update now... i wish i could say i didnt like it because it is awful, i hate it -it more than major annoyance, if you are so sure about this screen then make it default but optional and see yourself (if you are so confident)...
    -color contrast is off the table,
    -special icons are small,
    -colors are dull (yes same as first one)
    -physics will be always off ( while on it why you didnt make them so that they escape when you try to match them, like impossible button)
    -there is no way you can disable or change color scheme, self confidence on stylee?..
    -there is a reason people like bright colors instead of grayish hues (i know it is same as first one), if you spend some time with cows you would know why people dont like your choice of green.
    -best thing i noticed is dimming will be just a minor headache.
    -it will be fun tomorrow trying to play  40+ round of pve with this s.... going on. well so much so, they say like it or leave it, may be that is that...
    -And lastly what is it with the purple hue in every ui color decision you making, if i didnt knew better i would say there is conspiracy going on ...(https://marvelapp.com/blog/important-color-ui-design/)... if this site is marvels you didnt even read your guidelines (even it is a global guideline)...

edit:
    now that  i played a few rounds i am pretty sure designers of the screen either never play the game or at most play just 1-2 rounds a day...

• Jacknife
    Jacknife Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Overall I like the look of the gameboard itself and the new look of the tiles. It looks more sleek and modern and more visually appealing to me. I will say, however, that I am not colorblind so I cannot speak for those people. 

That being said, I agree with most people on here in that I do not like the dimming of the board when it is the opponent's turn. I hope this gets changed to an option which can be toggled on/off.

I do like the new tile physics. It reminds me of Tetris.

Perhaps my biggest issue with this update are the AP bars. I find them harder to read and they don't seem as obvious to me when my ap bars are full. In practice, I have found on multiple occasions that a couple turns sometimes pass before I realize that one of my AP bars was full.

Surely you are not colorblind as me and as others. On the other hand, if every clours tone become darker.. makes colours not choosable fast. you loose a second and again and again. For example if I would show you a green.. you would think irs green or blue .in too much white tone.

You could say surely U liked iti why old version not good. But thouching words to us not good. Finally its a pleasure matter. 
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Also in the camp of not liking this.  Probably won't do any good, back in the day they would visit the forums when a major update would happen to answer questions, and they have yet to show up for this fiasco.  

Bergen said:

edit:
    now that  i played a few rounds i am pretty sure designers of the screen either never play the game or at most play just 1-2 rounds a day...

probably a pretty accurate assessment
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I didn't  like the looks of the new board before it went live and not crazy about it after playing lots of matches with it. 

I hate the power bars up top. They are a lot harder to tell when a bar is full enough to fire a power and some colors like yellow seemed even harder to notice when you had enough attack power to use the ability. That is really annoying for me. 

The enemy tiles, the black marking doesn't seem quite dark or thick enough to stand out as much as I like. Wish they would darken the black a bit. 

The physics effects were terrible for me, I actually experienced motion sickness which maybe me feel nauseous. Thank God it can be turned off. 

The colors are ok to me as someone who has close to perfect vision. I like the old colors more though and the blue board. I do wish the colors were brighter. The character  icons took a bit getting used to. 

As much time as we spend looking at the game board, I feel like they could have posted some concepts on the forum and gotten feedback from the players to guide the design to end up with something everyone liked. 

They really need to add a toggle in settings to switch back to the old board. 
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm not so naive to think that any comment I make that ends up on page 6 of a forum thread will ever be seen, but I will say this in response to earlier comments:

- The dimming on the enemy turn seems to be the biggest issue, but it doesn't really bother me at all.
    - All alterations in color are different, but I'm sure I'll adapt.
    - The prominence of the character icons is a bigger change, in my mind, as it draws my eye toward the icon rather than toward the color or shape of the gem.  This may be desirable for newer players, and I'm sure I'll adapt.
    - Friendly special tiles are definitely different, and it's true that they are harder to see in view of the prominence of the character icons.
    - Enemy special tiles are not good.  They are much harder to see, especially on black tiles.
    - The tile physics options seems fine.  I don't know if they actually speed things up, but it looks faster.  I switched the option off after a couple dozen matches, then immediately switched it back on.  I prefer it.
    - The AP meters are not good.  When you select a character's icon in order to fire a power, everything on the pop-up screen is large and flashy and easy to see.  But seeing whether you can fire a power is too challenging; there have been several times when I knew a yellow power was charged, but it was challenging to determine that by looking at the AP meter.  They could stand to be twice as tall and use up some of that border space (though this is probably easier to say than to implement).
    - The fact that it's easier to see the damage numbers is nice.

In conclusion: While I would prefer to have the old board (because I hate change and my brain is wired a certain way after playing this game every day for 6 years), I'm confident I'll adapt to the new board.  But it would benefit from a few extra graphical tweaks and options.
  • Bergen
    Options
    the attitude alone is not good enough, you change something this major, the board game played and doing it just like that. no way to turn off or change in any major way. it would fit okay if game was alone in the dark match3 game but it is not. it is major set back on color palette and game visibility, not in every but almost every aspect of the board we spend hundres of matches every week... It is awful change and awful handling of change as well. and it is not matter of taste either, because there are objective ways to quantify the changes you made...
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Im pretty sure the dimming is less darker now and the tiles are brighter than 3 hous ago.
    Truth is I like it now quite more and phisics are great.
    Only thing left for me is redoing AP bars.

• Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I enjoy the darker theme.  Some of these changes will take some getting used to.

I kinda like the tile physics but making it toggleable was a good idea.

I will echo the sentiments of many others in saying that the fade effect on the opponent's turn is awful.  It's the absolute worst part of this update.

The AP meters are also much harder to tell when they are full, yellow especially.

I hope the devs are able to tweak some of these things that haven't gone over well with the forum users.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I absolutely  cannot stand the dimming between moves. It's so obnoxious. This can be removed at any time.  I don't know how that made it through play testing. It's jarring and nauseating over longish periods of time.

I feel, atleast on my phone, that the red and pink/purple are very close to the same color and it's throwing me off a bit.
    I wish the colors popped a bit more against the black background. Everything just looks muddied to me.

I give it a 3/10.

• Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I’ve been trying hard to get used to it.  One thing that’s helped with tile recognition is just playing matches really slow.  Looking at every single thing again to try to build back my reaction memory.  I can imagine that clicking back in given time.  

but honestly, playing with this literally gives me a headache.   I absolutely hate it.  Even the IOS screen shrinking from a few months ago, I super disliked that, got used to it.  And always knew I would.

Because it never gave me a headache.  This is just ridiculous.

Just give us an option to go back.

edit: I guess the hard thing tho is that if they keep both versions of the UI, they need to make two different kind of icons for any new mechanics that might arise.  That in itself doesn’t seem hard to me but maybe it affects more things.  
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 441 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Sometimes subtle and simple is best. The new design is too busy, every tile is screaming for attention and it feels like Where´s Waldo when looking for special tiles.

Maybe it takes awhile to adjust but I feel like that Ken Jeong meme, squinting and struggling with every match.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It feels like the new UI was made for tablets and not phones. It is less obnoxious on my iPad than on my iPhone. The size of the tiles makes a difference. They should have tested it more on phones apparently 
  • altlover85
    altlover85 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Definitely not a fan.  I'd love to know what the rationale behind this was.  
  • skiss
    skiss Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    this is the worst updates ever ... those dimming and colors are too much.. need to switch back to the old ones or just gives us choices to use the old ones... thanks to you Dev guys... you were so good at ruining the games once again.
  • Haithere
    Haithere Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I know the animators are upset because all their hard work showing skills isn't seen, but this ain't it. It's awful.