New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm playing on Steam.  It came available... I don't know, around 9am Pacific time?
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Available on iOS as well. I'm not colorblind and still found it difficult to intuitively distinguish the tile colors on my iPhone. I will see if it is better on the iPad later. Maybe I will just get used to it. 
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    mbaren said:
    Okay, now I've fought a couple of battles with it, and I have some feedback:

I don't love the change, but in terms of the shift in colors and style, I know I'll get used to it.  Not a fan of the tile physics, but since that can be turned off, great.  Leave it in or don't, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The thing I don't like is the way the board dims on the enemy's turn.  I find this distracting, and if I'm watching what's going on it actually makes the action and predicting cascades harder to follow.  If there was a way to turn that off too, that'd be great.
    I fought a few battles too before writing this. I even cross-checked and I think that on Android it is not as bad as it is on Steam. But even there I see no improvement.
    Maybe I will get used to the changes somehow like I got used to some other of the recent UI changes I'm also not happy about, but the dimming of the board during the enemy moves are very bad to my old eyes having to adjust permanently to different levels of brightness. So if they don't offer a way to at least switch that off it might be that sooner or later I will have to stop playing the game, not because I want but because my eyes demand it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's out on iOS.

The board has always dimmed on the opponenet turn - or rather the background used to go from that blue to black. I think the reduced contrast across all UI elements has contributed to the sensation that it's "dimming." They must have added transparency to the tiles so that the background going from charcoal to full black is manifesting as a dim out? I'm not sure.

I like the board itself, it does somehow feel like the tiles are bigger whether or not that's accurate. There is a general lack of contrast across everything that I at best haven't gotten used to and at worst think is a negative change. Black tiles definitely get lost against the background during the general chaos of fast play. I also really don't think the additional murkiness added to the "which powers can i fire?" bar is helping me to know which powers I can fire any more easily than before. I can't tell if that's just different or if it's worse yet.

As for the tile physics, it still feels too linear for my taste. I've been trying to find a good slow motion example of the easing, and I guess a bunch of Skee-Balls dropping in after you start the game is about as close as I can find video of. I'm not sure if the AP are "gems," "tiles," or something gummier, all of which would affect the bounce we should expect. But Skee Balls, which are just solid balls of wood, seem pretty appropriate to showcase the epected acceleration curves (this should start at :57 seconds):
    https://youtu.be/dHv8wV5ELVM?t=57
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First impression actually using the new UI.... Yuck.
    It is significantly more difficult to tell the difference between the tiles, the green especially. There was also an issue I found to be very unexpected... On my phone, during the 2/3/4 DDQ node, Polaris was in front and her hair blocked the other two characters. It probably won't be an issue during matches where I pick the team, but I literally couldn't see her teammates and didn't know who they were. Very annoying.
  • JaGo
    JaGo Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Options
    It's out on iOS.

The board has always dimmed on the opponenet turn - or rather the background used to go from that blue to black. I think the reduced contrast across all UI elements has contributed to the sensation that it's "dimming." They must have added transparency to the tiles so that the background going from charcoal to full black is manifesting as a dim out? I'm not sure.

Interesting. See, I never noticed after years of play that the background changed. I had to check an old video and look for it. In that video however, the tile luminance does not change, unlike the new version. It looks to me like an overlay is being applied that is now shadowing the tiles, not just the background.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JaGo said:
    It's out on iOS.

Interesting. See, I never noticed after years of play that the background changed. I had to check an old video and look for it. In that video however, the tile luminance does not change, unlike the new version. It looks to me like an overlay is being applied that is now shadowing the tiles, not just the background.

The specific mechanism they used to get that effect I'm not sure - there are a few ways you could do it, but the net effect is that the whole gem stack is dimming out significantly. I put a piece of paper over the gem stack to isolate the upper screen, and when you don't have the overwhelming block of it happening, you can see that it isn't covering the character logos on the AP bar or pulling saturation out of the character art itself. All the tiles dim out though - you can focus on a Team Up tile to really see it happening clearly.  
  • welbot
    welbot Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    No no no no no!! WTH have you done?!!?!?! It's HORRID!!!! It feels like it's in slow motion too!!! CHANGE IT BACK@!!@!!!!