New UI Update: Gameboard

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    I assume that this has been thoroughly tested on iOS, but I do have a bit of concern that losing the padding on the tiles down at the bottom of the screen will result in accidentally swiping up the ap as if I were going to try changing apps when interacting with bottom-row matches. Right now there is a fairly decent margin/padding between that grab point provided by iOS, but the closer you put those in-game interaction points to OS-provided interaction points, the more opportunity to introduce unwanted behavior you're creating for users.
    I find on my phone I will occasionally swipe the app to be minimized regardless of the buffer. Hopefully the ne UI does not make that worse lol. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    It looks more functional than the current scheme. One problem I sometimes find is searching for matches if the board is almost all fortified tiles in black panther(4) mirror matches. Hopefully this change helps 

I would like to know why there is currently no feature in the steam version that shows you the value of total special tiles for each team. On the android version you just tap a tile and it shows the total values for both teams. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    I assume that this has been thoroughly tested on iOS, but I do have a bit of concern that losing the padding on the tiles down at the bottom of the screen will result in accidentally swiping up the ap as if I were going to try changing apps when interacting with bottom-row matches. Right now there is a fairly decent margin/padding between that grab point provided by iOS, but the closer you put those in-game interaction points to OS-provided interaction points, the more opportunity to introduce unwanted behavior you're creating for users.
    Very good point. I have an iPhone 12 mini (love texting/playing with one hand). The screen stretches to the very bottom of the phone.  Really hoping this doesn’t make the game unplayable. 
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    Very good point. I have an iPhone 12 mini (love texting/playing with one hand). The screen stretches to the very bottom of the phone.  Really hoping this doesn’t make the game unplayable. 
    I also have an iPhone 12 and have been testing it on it. Definitely had a worry at first but in practice I haven't had any real issues with either swapping or selecting a tile on the bottom row. I could see a possible problem with a phone that had something like the size of an iPhone 5 with the same pullup bar, but there's more than enough room in my experience to play normally.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    I also have an iPhone 12 and have been testing it on it. Definitely had a worry at first but in practice I haven't had any real issues with either swapping or selecting a tile on the bottom row. I could see a possible problem with a phone that had something like the size of an iPhone 5 with the same pullup bar, but there's more than enough room in my experience to play normally.
    Is yours a mini? The mini has a body size close to a 5, but screen size close to an 8. So, fingers crossed! 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems more modern. Always it is a matter of getting used, but I like it. Im always playing at the minimum bright on my phone for not having sight issues, perhaps with this board I could play with more light.
    Continue the good work!
  • Bruinsfan17
    Bruinsfan17 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I’m sure I’ll get use to it with time, but can’t say I’m a huge fan of the new look right now.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like its more difficult to see patterns with the darker colors due to things blending in more.  I'd much rather see quality of life updates (normalizing enemy turn speed/speeding up certain effects/animations, option to automatically repurchase boosts).

The shop UI change makes it harder to scroll through / browse and the boost/TU menu change makes it much harder to equip / repurchase boosts.  Most of the recent changes have made the game worse.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Red are triangles with the point up, black are circles, green is a square, yellow are diamonds, Blue tiles are Rectangles, Purple are triangles with the tip pointed down, so color is not the only distinguisher between tile pools. But the contrast reduction is not to my taste either generally.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    The saturation reduction on the AP bar seems like it isn’t as easy to read as before; there isn’t as much contrast, and it all feels a little murky to me now. I’ll be interested to turn physics back on; I liked it but I recall it felt linear on the bounce, like it needed ease in and out curves.
    I agree. The blue adds to the visual appeal, but it's a bit dark. I notice that the each section is faded with the edge being darker than the center. Maybe if the thickness of that edge was decreased, the contrast would be better. 

Speaking of contrast, the Black tiles also blend with the black background. I think the tiles themselves are fine, but the background could be lighter. Instead of a bluish-black, maybe a a bluish-grey. I'm sure Colossus (Phoenix Five) would approve.
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Red are triangles with the point up, black are circles, green is a square, yellow are diamonds, Blue tiles are Rectangles, Purple are triangles with the tip pointed down, so color is not the only distinguisher between tile pools. But the contrast reduction is not to my taste either generally.
    Why do I suddenly feel like a bowl of Lucky Charms?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, not a really bad wellcome. Bearing in mind that historically Community wont never wellcome any change, will complaint about it before testing it out, and after playing it hardly will recognize that it was good.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    Well, not a really bad wellcome. Bearing in mind that historically Community wont never wellcome any change, will complaint about it before testing it out, and after playing it hardly will recognize that it was good.
    😂.....
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    mbaren said:
    Okay, now I've fought a couple of battles with it, and I have some feedback:

I don't love the change, but in terms of the shift in colors and style, I know I'll get used to it.  Not a fan of the tile physics, but since that can be turned off, great.  Leave it in or don't, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The thing I don't like is the way the board dims on the enemy's turn.  I find this distracting, and if I'm watching what's going on it actually makes the action and predicting cascades harder to follow.  If there was a way to turn that off too, that'd be great.
    How'd you get access to it already?  I'm not seeing an update (android) or a setting in options...