New UI Update: Gameboard

Options

Comments

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After playing more my biggest gripes are

The tiles losing there personality (aka the generic shape instead of more of the characters shape)

The screen dimming on enemy turns.

Everything else I can deal with, but those 2 really really bother me.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    abmoraz said:
    Interesting. How does other game developers accomodate to those three types of colourblindness? Is there some ISO standard for choices of colours or shades?

[...]  It's like trying to have a deaf person describe the horror that is Nickelback to someone that's never heard them. :smiley:

Speaking of Nickleback related horror that involves sight in the game industry, i had a colleague nearly die because of a running joke in the office. It used to be pretty common at that studio if somebody walked away from their desk without locking their machine that they'd come back to a delightful new wallpaper chosen by their coworkers for maximum embarrassment. At a certain point, nearly everyone decided a press photo of Nickleback was the go-to nuclear option, except for this one producer who actually enjoyed them, and who just left it up. So one day, as the escalation of such things happens, somebody decided to cut out a printed picture of the band and tape it to the inside of his Oakley sunglasses. Well, it happens that this guy rode his bike home from downtown, and as he jumped on his bike, sailed out across an intersection, he put his glasses on and.....found his vision completely obscured by the band. Screeching his bike to a halt, he whipped off his glasses and found himself in the crosswalk with a car patiently waiting for him to get across. Lucky break nobody was hurt.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear there was some cost-of-printing related reason for Stan having said that at some point as well, but I don't want to undermine the point about contrast.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,693 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear there was some cost-of-printing related reason for Stan having said that at some point as well, but I don't want to undermine the point about contrast.

Yeah, quite possibly true.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options

My wife starts getting a migraine on the new interface.  I have heard this a lot.  The new scheme triggers vision issues and headaches.  

This.

been lurking on the forum for a while now, just got an account to say I too had issues with the new look. bad eye strain immediately, then that  triggered a migraine after only a small amount of playing. I'm years into playing (day 1654) and I'll have to quit if things stay as is. 

And This.

It is also happening to me and also, I think I am forcing my eyesight way more, after playing for 30min, my eyes were struggling and started developing a headache.

The constant dimming and lighting it back of the screen is AWFUL, like THE WORST THINK THEYCOULD DO. This must be removed ASAP, STOP the dimming! If it is not changed I will stop playing. I dont want to damage my eyes. 

PS: Seriously, did they test this? Did they have someone playing for an hour with this?

PS: In a time that most games try to make things easier for people with eyesight problems and colourblindness, MPQ goes the other way around (triple facepalm)
  • CubRob
    CubRob Posts: 74 Match Maker
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Day 2380 Player: Basically the same opinion as everyone else:

1. Get rid of the dimming on the opponent turn
    2. Make the charged AP bars easier to see
    3. The colors should be changed if they are causing problems for people who are color blind
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,040 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT said:
    I have several alliance-mates who can't play now due to headaches and/or not being able to see the tiles due to colors.

Really, really wish the devs would make big changes like this with a toggle for on/off....or implement a player test base, who could have given a heads-up on this before it went live.
    Same. I've had several alliance mates unable to play for any length of time struggling to just get through the deadpool daily and some of them have said that they will not be able to play at all until/unless this is fixed.  For their sakes I hope this is resolved soon.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    This change MUST be reverted ASAP, today, tomorrow at the latest. This is a MUST FIX (the same as the sever going down).

If Devs want to iterate and make this design better and address all these problems, sure, they can do that, and release it in the next update, but first, revert the changes and go back to the old UI so we can continue playing. I wont be playing the current event in this condition.
  • crakker
    crakker Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options

Interesting. How does other game developers accomodate to those three types of colourblindness? Is there some ISO standard for choices of colours or shades?

I have tried several tile matching games that I had to quit immediately because the colours confuse me. A few nice ones have a colourblind option that make the colours more contrasting but maybe more garish for a regular user.
  • Spider_Ham42
    Spider_Ham42 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I’m jumping in on the UI update.  While I appreciate trying to evolve the game, but the new tiles certainly leave a bit to be desired.  I spent time playing the game to see if I become familiar with the UI that I can adjust, but the tile screen is just too dark.  Everything just feels muted. The tile colors, fortified, animations, enemy tile select, and the action bars (friendly and enemy) just don’t pop like they did prior to the update.  I did enjoy the highlighted numbers popping from the board, so I did find something I liked.  I’ll continue to wait on the update from the dev team on this topic, but note that I will be playing less until the UI is either reverted or updated with some changes.  Sadly, It’s just not as enjoyable.
  • Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Polares said:
    This change MUST be reverted ASAP, today, tomorrow at the latest. This is a MUST FIX (the same as the sever going down).
    This isn’t in the dev’s hands. Even if they just rolled everything straight back (and I don’t think they can do that), it’d still have go through Apple & Google’s approval process. ‘Early next week’ is my best guess for something happening.
  • Notwen
    Notwen Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    I like that the icons on the tiles are much more distinct than before.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Kwahder said:
    Polares said:
    This isn’t in the dev’s hands. Even if they just rolled everything straight back (and I don’t think they can do that), it’d still have go through Apple & Google’s approval process. ‘Early next week’ is my best guess for something happening.
    If this is the case, then once again, open and transparent communication with the player base is the answer.  If they announced that they realize mistakes were made but they can’t do a “quick fix” because of an approval process, I would understand and be more patient.  However, they’ve chosen to issue a single blanket statement across multiple info outlets for the game; that’s why people are becoming increasingly frustrated and impatient.