New Feature in R215: Daily Quests

15678911»

Comments

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Imagine reaching the final tier of gameplay (albeit not the highest level...479 here) and STILL wondering when you should begin to feel like you can feel powerful using your best characters.

Ive never seen a game so stingy on letting people enjoy the fruits of their labor/investment. You chase a carrot that is pretty rotten by the time you get to eat it.

That could be fixed relatively easily, but the refusal to listen to late stage players will make it a problem forever it seems. Which is a shame because aside from all of that, this is a great game.
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    I've been saying that for years.  I'm on day 2273, and still don't have a champed 5*.  I play every day, but not for 12 hours like it seems some must do to get the numbers I'm seeing.  So I never place very high, and advance at a slower pace.  I'm slowly champing my remaining 4*'s that are unchamped, but being held back by lack of ISO more than anything at this point.

I suspect my level of play is closer to average.  Why not aim the game at the average, and not JUST at the whales?
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    grenadier said:
    I've been saying that for years.  I'm on day 2273, and still don't have a champed 5*.  I play every day, but not for 12 hours like it seems some must do to get the numbers I'm seeing.  So I never place very high, and advance at a slower pace.  I'm slowly champing my remaining 4*'s that are unchamped, but being held back by lack of ISO more than anything at this point.

I suspect my level of play is closer to average.  Why not aim the game at the average, and not JUST at the whales?
    I’m on day 1373, and I play about 3 hours a day , mostly because I didn’t get my first and only champed 5* until day 1065.  But the key is selective growth . If you play as a collectionist it will take figuratively forever. You have to cull the weak so the strong can prosper . Judge each character solely by, Can this independently help me play better ? Or you can do as others do, something entirely optional in my case , and pay tons of money . I consider myself an average player based on event placement and roster strength , but relatively your growth is extremely slower than average and I can’t speculate on your gameplay style but you should be much further along .
       I do agree average players need just as much support as whales , possibly more . But it makes the whales angry every time a low tier character is introduced as it’s a waste of their time . 
       Thanks to new game mechanics in the past year I’m able to grow enough to hold my own . Prior to this year it was impossible but the game has gotten better recently and the devs are really helping non - top tier players . Don’t give up. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    SCL 11? You will probably see level 650 to level 850 enemies in there, but you probably get 500 shards of 5*.  

The only way I see gaining 10 5* shards every day without any tradeoff is that they are shutting down MPQ or 6* is coming. What if the tradeoff is that they won't release feeders for 5* characters any more? Is it a better deal?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards

The only way I see gaining 10 5* shards every day without any tradeoff is that they are shutting down MPQ or 6* is coming. What if the tradeoff is that they won't release feeders for 5* characters any more? Is it a better deal?
    Since it seems we’re not getting feeders for 5* anymore, sure! I’ll take my 10 shards per day instead. 
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler

I’m on day 1373, and I play about 3 hours a day , mostly because I didn’t get my first and only champed 5* until day 1065.  But the key is selective growth . If you play as a collectionist it will take figuratively forever. You have to cull the weak so the strong can prosper .

I'm not sure I agree with this. This game is a slow trickle of resources that snowballs as you acquire more and as levels rise. Seems to me that if you limit your character growth then you just limit your resource acquisition and slow your progress. That's not a wrong way to approach the game - and if it works for you then that's great - but I don't think being a completionist in any way hurts your progression.
    I approached it as trying to ramp up all possible resource acquisition as quickly as possible, start farming 2* then 3*, etc. I'm on day 1689 and I have champed every character except the 2 most recent 4-stars and 13 5-stars, 2 of which are in Latest. I do spend a bit on the game (I'm VIP, buy some HP during sales, etc.) but I wouldn't consider myself a whale.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor

Since it seems we’re not getting feeders for 5* anymore, sure! I’ll take my 10 shards per day instead. 

Keep the faith! Last year feeders came in December. C’mon devs, don’t prove me wrong...
  • Michael1957
    Vhailorx said:
    I’m on day 1373, and I play about 3 hours a day , mostly because I didn’t get my first and only champed 5* until day 1065.  But the key is selective growth . If you play as a collectionist it will take figuratively forever. You have to cull the weak so the strong can prosper .
    This doesn't really make sense.  Let's assume for the sake of argument that i am all in for ruthless, realpolitik roster strategies and just can't wait to cull the weak.  Relatively few roster growth options in mpq are actually a zero sum game where resources taken from one character can be directly makes onto another (basically just direct cover purchases and latest 5*s, which is why hoarding works).
    In basically all cases, targeted roster growth (eg making pulls with 1 sharget, or grinding for placement in a particular event or even cracking a hoard to champ a new meta release) will inevitably result in the collection of collateral resources for other characters. For example, if you decided to grind the last two PvEs hard for okoye shards, as everyone should have done, then you will inevitably get some 3*, 4* covers, HP, and tokens. Those resources cannot really be turned 1:1 into more okoye shards.
    Consider the ghost rider covers and shards you will get with your 250 okoye shards. He is not a good character right now, but you are getting the covers anyway. The only option is to to use them or discard them.
    By using them, you can build a deeper roster (which makes essentials easier and lets you ready to leverage emergent synergies, a la th4nos' current Renaissance, and eventually gives you champ rewards).
    By discarding them you get nothing except the opportunity to discard them again later when you earn more covers for negasonic.  You are just duplicating effort over and over again.
    So how exactly does culling 4GR make okoye stronger?
    All the things you mentioned are irrelevant to selectively pursuing one 5* to champ level . I did nothing but spend CP on the character I chose to champ . It only takes 720 CP ( approximately 1 month play ) to get a 5* cover, so I champed my first one in less than a year.  ( I had a few covers on it originally when I chose it ). Once you have a base meta that greatly enhances all other characters the rest of your roster is merely support for it. It has greatly increased event placement, now you can get the better rewards you ignored earlier , and cuts down daily play time .  Collectionism and farming is illogical to my personal style of game play , it’s just my opinion.   I find it better in every way to roster only characters of use and leave the other hundred plus in shard reserve for the 4 days a year they’re required for PvE
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,717 Chairperson of the Boards
    welp... i'll say it again.  I've been mostly free-to-play... and i'm not about to say how long I've been in the game again.  I'm a collectionist too... stupid OCD-like syndrome... ;)

And here I am with 19 5* champs.  I'm no where near the top, but hey, 5* champs (and all the other 10-12 cover 5*s I got) are nothing to sneeze at.

Shard targeting is SO important.  Shards have definitely made me upgrade faster.  You want Kitty?  Target 3* Cyclops and 4* Emma and 5* Kitty.  You'll get there eventually.

I USED to spend the CP on a covers -- for FOUR star characters.  But this was back before saved covers was a thing... so I was trying to make sure I wasn't wasting covers on the vine.  Havent' done that since saved covers came around (and probably a little before then...).

As much as I target a chosen 5* -- I will NOT spend a lump sum of CP on a cover like that.  The MOST i'd spend, and I have yet to do this... but I can see doing it... is if it's a H4H option for 250.  And even then, my brain tells me that's TEN chances at the Latests.  I should get at LEAST one 5* cover in the latests if I do that... and then there's the NINE 4* covers you get as well, which should be champ levels (or maybe help you grow that roster deeper).  If you get MORE than 1 5* cover, well -- that's just gravy!

Personally, I spend CP on new release stores, like the Mags/Kitty/FACap store coming up.  Why?  Because it's a chance at the new guy (even if they look 'meh'), and it's a MUCH HIGHER CHANCE at the two older peeps.  And you never never NEVER know when the devs are gonna switch things on us, and give us a winfinite that uses C5rol?!?  Yeah yeah, they nerfed it already -- but you just never know what'll change on you.  Nothing is certain.  

In this way, I use my CP for the new release store, and that focus-develops those two older characters, while giving me a cover for the new guy (hopefully).  Then when they hit the Latests?  That's when I spend the LTs, further developing the new guy, and helping the two older "new" guys in there.  

Rinse and repeat.   This way, I'm effectively pulling 4 separate mini-hoards per new guy.  Every new release CP store helps me develop my old guys, give me champ levels/rewards, while getting the new guy... and the 3 subsequent LT pulls develop the new guys.  This pattern I've followed (by just doing progression-only PvE play, maybe 1.5 hours a day... I do this in between work) has gotten me a champed Apoc, Onslaught, Yelena, Prof X, Iceman, SamDak... but it doesn't ALWAYS work... I have only 5 covers for iHulk, and like 7 for Killmonger... but hey, I think I've done fine overall.

And all the while, each and every one of these pull sessions is working that shard-targeting, making sure I'm building that chosen character as much as possible.  This is how I champed Okoye (finally), Hawkeye, Thor (well, he's soft-capped, but he's got 13), and more.  Right now, I'm working on JJ, mainly because she's my weakest link, and I can target Chavez to help that out too.

Best believe that if BRB ends up getting a feeder, that I'm changing all my targets to help that out.  He's definitely someone I need to champ.

In the end -- do what YOU feel is correct.  But know that each and every suggestion you read on here isn't just a knee-jerk reaction.  We all have been through the ringer long enough to sit down and try to figure out a solution that works for us.  And since this is MPQ -- there is NO SUCH THING as a quick-fix.  No matter who's suggestions you take, just know that you gotta set aside months to see the measurable gains.
  • Michael1957
    I agree , and my decision was primarily based on that when I joined I quickly realized I was 3 1/2 YEARS behind most of the other players . The only way to become competitive was a drastic sacrifice of roster building , and pragmatically it was successful as I am no longer a sacrificial door mat in PvAI as I was the first 3 years . Retaliation is 50/50 so I feel I’m average at worst . Had I had the advantage of 6-7 years of play obviously I would never  have done this , but I’m only on Voluntary Unemployment Day 1500 today so video games were not an option when the game was launched.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was five years behind most of the players. I champed kingpin using 720 cps per power for the same reasons: more power for reaching advanced levels and cutting playtime with a 5* champed.
    Now I have 10 champed, soon it will be 13 for sure.
    And I have all 4* rostered, althought I have 80 for champing because I dont have iso for them, each 5* eats about 600k iso for champ.
    The reason I am champing all 5* is because after playing a year and a half with kingpin I crave for variety, also I love all those 5*.
    The reason Im collecting all 4* is because you could never know when they will be great for the most recent playstyle or sinergy of 2 5*. And because they can become feeders.
    Also Im farming 2* and 3* because I hate wasting resources, and the reward is collecting some LLs each week after some tokens pulls.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe it's just me, but the unintended side effect of these missions is that I no longer open tokens on the day of, just in case I need the cheevo the following day.

This turned out to be super useful during boss event, where tokens are far and few between.

Double frustrating is that adding a champ level doesn't count toward the "train power" cheevo, so I have to keep a handful of 1*s on the vine just in case.  Maybe it's a first world problem, but since I have every character (other than DP5, Mag5, and Red Guardian) champed, it makes it more of an inventory management puzzle.

What it really boils down to is disincentivizing opening tokens.  I was already hoarding for LTs, but now the simple pleasure of opening the tokens from the daily grind is now gone and added to that is the additional stress of if I'll luck into some covers so I can get the "training" cheevo.

I mean, maybe this is whining, but still.  The game is less fun now. 

Maybe with the additional of Milestones this will get better, but...  I have worries that it'll just be "champ a 4*" or "max champ a dude" or worse, "champ a 5*."  All of these are drastically harder once you've already hit top tier.

Again, take my whining with a grain of salt as I'm aware that the vast majority of players don't have my roster and haven't been playing nearly as long.  The only bone vets seem to be thrown is feeders and it's literally been a year.
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    @pheregas

I think all of those are valid criticisms whether you are an endgame whale or not.  Even if you're mainly 4* tier, you still often need  to scrounge for some 1* or 2* covers for that achievement.  And certainly champing a hero is not something I do every day, at any tier.

Making levelling count as "training" would go a long way to making this more fun and less, as you call it, "inventory management."
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,126 Chairperson of the Boards
    It'll probably get lost in here, but I experimented yesterday with leaving a quest reward "unclaimed" to see what would happen today. It was a small amount of iso as a reward; basically when the quests reset, it looks like it just went away. it was such a negligible amount of iso, i didn't notice whether or not it was automatically applied, but it's probably best to assume that if you don't claim them, you don't get them.