Revised Event: Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Options

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And still I have d2 5* highlighted and ready to play. So if Id had logan nothing would stop me to play now. I would say that tomorrow could do the trick. And with a 80 % assured.
    Tomorrow will come the answer.
  • Amsha3gar
    Amsha3gar Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Won first try with a champed kitty (my OML is fully covered but only level 330), with all colours and Y/R boosts: i used a green and two hellcat's yellows early (taking my time in order to do damage via kitty's purple each time), after a while i was doing 50k+ every match and managed to kill them.
    They still managed to use one star lord's red anyway, which one shotted my kitty with no countdowns on the board :/

I'm not too worried about tomorrow, with a couple of hellcat's yellows if i survive the first wave i'm probably gonna steamroll the others, at that level she's incredible
  • ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options

As long as any player clock in 820 in-game days, they will have OML.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I didn't realize this, but it really just reinforces my point about less access for newer players.  Older veterans of 820+ days will automatically have access to all nodes, while younger players with 4* rosters will not.  Again, less accessible.

So far all the people trying to convince me it's more accessible for me are 5* players.  I have yet to see a 4* player post that they feel its more accessible although maybe one will now.  All of you 5* players posting probably have all 5* rostered, but what if you didn't, and what if the 5* required had been a character you don't have rostered?  Would you still feel like it's more accessible then?  You don't have to answer that because I already know the answer.

These rewards are 4*.  There is no reason to lock some of them behind a 5* required. I'd also be ok with not being able to achieve all the rewards because my roster isn't good enough.  I'd just like the access to attempt it.

Tony_Foot said:

They need to stop dumbing down for the masses and add some challenge to this game. This is far better than the old shield training and even if you decide to not do a single node of this new one you are still able to get 4* covers much faster than you used to be able to and that's without playing CL10. I play CL8 for four star releases and have them all champed quickly.

I don't have a OML champed but did this second try. Most hated the old shield training due to the 209 pressure, well it's gone. People said they wanted a place to show case the new four star, well now you have it. Even if I can't do any nodes today I will still take the current 4* drop rate and ST over the old one and 209 pressure.

You make some great points.  I agree that challenge is good.  I have no problem with challenging content - even content I can't beat yet, but when the rewards are 4*, I'd like the opportunity to try.  I also agree that new 4* covers are readily available, and I'm not worried about champing Hellcat.  That's not relevant to accessibility in this event, however.  IceX already posted that the rewards were reduced from a cover to 200 shards, and used this fact as part of their rationale for doing that.  I'm totally on board with that.  My argument is with the access of the 5* nodes.  Day 2-4 should not be locked out with a 5* required. I'd feel the same way if the inaccessible nodes rewarded 1000 rISO.

It's also true that the 209 pressure is gone, but it has been replaced by a new 5* pressure which is actually worse and more difficult (if not impossible) for 4* rosters to overcome.  Overall though I agree that I'd rather have the current 4* drop rate and new ST than the old drop rate with the old ST.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It's OML this time, but it won't always be OML. I'm curious what the rotation is going to be like for this event over time. For me, it'll be a sad day when it requires Nata5ha...
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options

As long as any player clock in 820 in-game days, they will have OML.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I didn't realize this, but it really just reinforces my point about less access for newer players.  Older veterans of 820+ days will automatically have access to all nodes, while younger players with 4* rosters will not.  Again, less accessible.

It's also true that the 209 pressure is gone, but it has been replaced by a new 5* pressure which is actually worse and more difficult (if not impossible) for 4* rosters to overcome.  Overall though I agree that I'd rather have the current 4* drop rate and new ST than the old drop rate with the old ST.

The rewards you’re talking about getting access to were previously behind a paywall anyway. I was never able to get the LT despite playing many new release events pretty hard and pulling a load of tokens. 

That said, I agree that the 5* loaner should be available in later nodes. Probably not going to be enough for Day 3/4 but enough to give a swinger’s chance with whales on day 3.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Looks like with a bit of effort I should be able to get the second to last bunch of shards as a 4* player.

Suggestions from my experience in this event.

Feels like the difficulty for the 3rd node on each day should be toned down just a bit for players in 4* land without champs.

Don’t lock any 4* rewards behind a 5*. The best way I see to fix this would be to make all the 4* shards available to 4* players and throw in some 5* shards for the 5* player. Lock the 5* shards behind the required 5*.

Edit: correction, it’s the 3rd to last bunch of shards and a bigger challenge than expected.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does Whales end a match on waves, or just the wave? I rarely use it, and I feel like it may have gotten nerfed along with the original 5* Octopus green way back when. Like it just does some ludicrous damage number to whoever is out, not trigger a match-end state or something.
  • bk201
    bk201 Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    The 4th column is a great opportunity to figure out who is the best solo 5* lol; for me right now it's BRB by a country mile.
    Managed to win the 5* node with him! I didn't put iso on my 3/1/2 OML and tried with Okoye, half health Thor, Ic5man, etc, then I decided to whale them with a team up. BRB has the largest health on my roster plus defense tiles, so put him in the fight, boosted tu + all ap. I won the match without using whales. As I got enough yellow to use Hellcat's repeater, it boosted to the sky the defense tiles from several BRB blues and strikes from OML. The other team fired several powers, enough to down OML but Hellcat and BRB survived with 40% hp each. The board was filled with defense, some attack tiles and a couple repeaters.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does Whales end a match on waves, or just the wave? I rarely use it, and I feel like it may have gotten nerfed along with the original 5* Octopus green way back when. Like it just does some ludicrous damage number to whoever is out, not trigger a match-end state or something.
    Whales is infinite aoe, I guess this is why they put a wave node in Day 4 ie to make sure it’s not just a whale-fest.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rod5 said:
    Whales is infinite aoe, I guess this is why they put a wave node in Day 4 ie to make sure it’s not just a whale-fest.
    Better save it for the last wave then :)
  • Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    It's OML this time, but it won't always be OML. I'm curious what the rotation is going to be like for this event over time. For me, it'll be a sad day when it requires Nata5ha...
    Just wait until you need to use banner or wasp.  I can't wait to see the firestorm that comes.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Day 3: I am loving this event. Like Hound, I'm enjoying trying the 5* nodes with different characters to see what combos will work. It's fun to see how many different paths there are to success, and I really hope that the devs don't listen to all the people who hate the puzzle part of MPQ. Every time they ask in the surveys I always say that I'd like more interesting challenges, and this is one of the best since boss rush. 

That said, I do wish there was a loaner oml. Mine is champed, so I can't test out the teams that don't have him tanking at least a little. 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Whales do NOT work if one enemy is airborne however . Be careful of that 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm enjoying the challenge (even though I am still working through the Mockingbird/Riri node with my L300 9 cover Logan.

That said, we are very lucky the new 4* is a solid character like Hellcat who can massively boost tiles. I suspect if this had been rolled out with Talos as the new 4* feelings would be very different because the L500 4* would be just a useless meat shield. I think future 4* releases will be almost impossible to complete for 4* rosters in those instances.

KGB
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I too used Valkyrie to get through it. Barely. Hellcat went down but fortunately she had buffed the attack tiles to about 20K strength before Mordo nuked her. I got Thing down with match damage, Mordo down with match damage, then SL nuked OML but Valk got him with her own red.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If the 4* were Talos I wouldn’t really care about missing some of his shards. That’s the benefit of mediocre rewards: you’re not missing much if you can’t get them. Not that that will stop people from losing their minds...
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Look at that. We had some folks here still full with whales for not playing scl10  >:)
    Some feedback about not 5* nodes: the loaned 4* level 500 is really powerful. For making him shine the most and making better use of him I think only 3* and 4 should be used as her partners.
    Leaving those 5* for the 5* node, and so designing a fitting challenge for 4* or 3* teams. After all we use our best 5* all the time.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got really close on the fifth attempt, all with the loaner Hellcat, 255 OML (4/5/4) and with a lvl. 320 Medusa. But with only Medusa remaining vs. a lone Mordo he slowly matched away my buffed special tiles and finally got a lucky blue match to take him to 10 blue AP, which would have one-shotted me easily.

Since I almost never select any specific TUs I looked what was auto-assigned there and to my joy there was a DP Whales there. Figured this was as good a use as any to use that, so that was my somewhat anticlimactic win.

Have to say, this match felt more 'fair' than the one that opened yesterday where the AI gets free green AP for Riri, but the AP boosting of AI characters by goons has been bothering me for a long time now. That node just proved it to be broken once again.
  • Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would like to know what would all those who praise this event say if they did not have oml to play or where part of the 90% that can not afford having TWO mandatory characters for only ONE new character released.

As I suspected this event as the previous recent 'improvements' in the game have turned into a situación where players are pitted against mega uber teams and need near to cero creativity to beat them if they have the specific super upgraded characters (mostly 2 or 3).

No matter if you can do more nodes if rewards are even more mediocre than before, who are you trying to fool? Not willing to buy health packs for this event. 

ST original was a better deal.
  • Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Not much point in trying the final level even with a champed OML when he can be easily one shotted by multiple characters on the opposing team.