Revised Event: Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Options

Comments

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I see a lot of people do not like this event, I actually really like it.  I am glad it is more of a challenge instead of mindlessly using Thanos/Okoye/Thor/whatever for the old ST.  

Speaking of ST meta, what were the meta teams before Kitty, Worthy, and BRB were released . I was only here 3 years . I remember lots of players complaining about OML and Gambit, and the devs castrated both of them soon after . What was the #1team before 2019?

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see a lot of people do not like this event, I actually really like it.  I am glad it is more of a challenge instead of mindlessly using Thanos/Okoye/Thor/whatever for the old ST.  

Speaking of ST meta, what were the meta teams before Kitty, Worthy, and BRB were released . I was only here 3 years . I remember lots of players complaining about OML and Gambit, and the devs castrated both of them soon after . What was the #1team before 2019?

Prior to Thanos in December 2016 it was mostly OML and Phoenix, I guess.  There weren't a lot of strong teams in the tier.

January 2017 saw BP enter, creating the Panthos meta.
    HE entered a few months later creating the CoulHawk option on offense.

Gambit came in October 2017, Thor came along in Dec 2017.  They were your best pair for a while.  You could also run DD with Thor and do OK on offense in early climbs.
    Okoye entered in May 2018 and created Thorkoye.  JJ served as the best third for a while.

Kitty entered in  September 2018, Gritty started soon after that.

The meta was pretty much frozen until maybe Prof who was(is) a very solid third with Thorkoye and BRB shook up the Gritty pairing obviously.

This game has had a very slow changing meta.  2 years later, Thorkoye is still very solidly in the meta, at least in PVE, where offense is the key.
  • ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bluewolf said:

I suppose the main question will be how much someone can get, progression-wise, without clearing 2 of the 5Es and the wave (which will presumably be pretty difficult, especially if you are forced to bring in 2 characters).

That said it's a bit weird to set up an event where you both reduced rewards (shards) and made them much harder to get as far as difficulty.  We traded hard roster gating for difficulty gating.

Right now, I think players might have liked it better if the 1600 reward was the 100 shards and the 1750 was the event token.  It would feel more fair to me that way; let more people get a half cover for Hellcat and make the event token a bonus thing for people who have big rosters.
    Assuming the reward points hold, 4* (and 5* who don’t have OML), will max out at 1300 points or 50 shards. Not really enough when 4* and higher are the target audience with the 4* rewards. And again, I’m not upset about not getting all the rewards. I’m upset about not at least having a chance to do so. When the new character is 4*, loan me a weak 5* so I can at least try. When it’s a 5*, I wouldn’t expect a loaner. 

Also wanted to point out that you’ll get loaners in the wave node, so you can try it as much as you want. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Whew, they ramped it up today on that final node. I thought the first three seemed pretty well balanced, and then it just went into orbit - reminds me a bit of boss events where the side nodes play nicely the first day, going from 23 to 35 to 55 (sic.), and then - wham! up to 200 on the next refresh. This final node felt like a similar sort of jump. 
    I failed miserably on the first few attempts, but finally just brought along Deadpool and mega-whaled the thing. If they do a similar stunt tomorrow that may give me a good excuse to finally champ Valkyrie and see if she does the deed. I enjoyed reading the various strategies posted - even though the node made me curse quite a bit, it was certainly more of a "puzzle" trying to figure out how to beat it than most content we get. 

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Let's stick with available data and rationalise everything:

In the old ST, there are a total of 17 nodes.

1. loaner node at the top (500 iso-8)

2. 12 middle nodes with the last row gating at a min of 209

3. The bottom 5 nodes meant for new 4* characters, with the last node requiring level 251 latest 4*.

In order to complete all the 17 nodes, players have to pass through 4 gates:
    1. Iso-8 gate
    2. four 4* essential characters gate
    3. Level gate
    4. whale gate

Majority of 1* to 3* players can play one node.

Majority of 4* transitioners can play only a couple of middle nodes and first two nodes of the last row with 5 nodes.

Many non-competitive long timer players, including 5* players, can play about 8-10 nodes out of the the 12 middle nodes.

In this new ST, there are three gates:
    1) Essential 2*, 3*, 4* and 5* gate
    2) Skill gate

As long as any player clock in 820 in-game days, they will have OML.

Lastly, skill gate is something that players have to unlock themselves. I find giving loaner 5* in the middle two nodes totally pointless because players are going to take the easy way out and whales through the 5* nodes. Even 5* players are whaling Day 2 5* essential node instead of strategising how to work around the challenge, even though they have many champion 5* to work with.

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The 5* node took me a number of tries but I got it eventually, I think if it’s going to be that hard there should be a bigger reward than a few shards 

I suspect in future training events we can look forward to The Royal family and rocket/kitty fights if this is anything to go by 

was fun to have a challenge though 
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The 5* node took me a number of tries but I got it eventually, I think if it’s going to be that hard there should be a bigger reward than a few shards 

I suspect in future training events we can look forward to The Royal family and rocket/kitty fights if this is anything to go by 

What did you use to win?
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree there is more access. In the past I never even did ST because I never had the 3 4* required .  The low level rewards weren’t worth the time . Now, you only require 1 4*, and with the shard system you can keep the 90% of characters you never use except as an essential in PvE in eternal limbo rather than a 2 week expiration. After 6 months of shards I keep all 3 & 4* reserved instead of buying roster slots. I would never have gotten a new character so fast, now in a few hours I’ll have a 5/13 Hellcat already .
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Like I said before, its not clear yet if the previous nodes can still be cleared on the fourth day with the loaner.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It took 14 attempts but I finally managed to get Whales out. I appreciate that people have a shot at this but I have always despised using Whales and I basically ignored the other two characters to chase purple, which wasn't much fun. Maybe if the green feeder hadn't been in there this would have led to more team experimentation but 14 attempts for 15 shards doesn't feel an enormously good return on playtime to me! Still, glad others are having fun.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    It can't because it has been stated that

"Missions require the previous mission in that column to be completed"

So, for those who can't complete Day 2 5* node, they won't be able to access Day 3 and Day 4 5* nodes.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Day 4 - Playground Mission Unlock

• Loans the new character at Max level for play.

• Loans the other required characters.

• This is a wave node designed to be difficult and show off various aspects of the character’s powers

So a loaner at max level and designed to be difficult.  Be prepared to meet hell.
    I wish I had stupid logan. I will lose an excellent s&m session, oh no!
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    X-Force Wolverine gives his cover at level 280. If you have him champed and near 280, you might want to target him. If not, there's always another (hopefully) next month.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    qandols said:

What did you use to win?

He has a champed OML and many many other champed 5* so I imagine the choice was pretty wide.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Day 3 Five Star node strategy

Whales

That is all. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Day 3. First reaction OOFT! Wipe out. 

Second reaction, take Iceman, build up some ap, stun Starlord, unload a bunch of powers, make strikes, buff them to the skies and let Iceman's repeaters do their job. 
    Helps I have him and Logan champed though. 

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Oh wow, day 3 5* node is crazy. I have a champ OML, but it proves to be useless against 530 Thing-Mordo-SL. Any of their moves will one shot my OML. One shot. 
    Add in a Patsy, who’s level 530, but deal puny damage compared to the enemy 4*. 
    I don’t quite know how to solve this puzzle because i only can vary my team by 1. I can’t play with stun locked,  neither can I bring a 4* to play around. This is going to be very very difficult. 

Edit: cleared on my fourth try. With my OML and Kitty both wiped from Mordo moves. The winning factor was to string Hellcat moves. Cast her red to generate strike tiles. You get another 2 strike tiles from OML passive. Cast her yellow to buff all the strike tiles. Then just deny all the colours of the AI. It’s very tough to deny so many colors, especially Mordo who can kill on purple, blue and black. So after clearing this, I think it’s *possible* to clear it solely with the loaner Hellcat. But be prepared to die a lot.