Revised Event: Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Comments

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    I’m just thankful for the whales 🐳 in this event . 5* node is insane given a castrated OML and 1 roster option 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I'll relook and see how things are when ST ends. 

I thought today's 5* node is much easier than yesterday  5* node.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    Excellent event so far, love the challenge. Events shouldn't have to be possible for all, there's something there for everyone and it's only half a cover. In fact you don't even lose that much if you cannot do it on the hardest nodes because you will get some of that half cover.

They need to stop dumbing down for the masses and add some challenge to this game. 
    I agree with you although my wolv X is level 278 and I will not complete it.
    Masses are gonna complain anyway no matter what, so Id rather prefer a good challenge instead of having all 4* at 209 level and never champing those I like fearing being short on next shield training.
    And that is what makes the difference between mindles grinding and interesting challenge. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    I took Kitty, my OML is champed though.

Boost all AP, Boost Red/Yellow, Boost black.

Collect enough Ap to drop Kitty red followed by Kitty yellow. Then the trick is to keep everyone alive long enough to boost those protects. Once this is done, drop Hellcat yellow for double boosting. With a lot of protects on the board OML can soak up the damage and mostly heal. 

It wasn’t easy, and I lost OML and Kitty before winning with just match damage against Mordo. Better board would have been nice, worse board would have been certain death. I never did pop claws because it ends the turn prematurely, so maybe skip boosting black.
  • dragonreader
    dragonreader Posts: 89 Match Maker
    edited May 2020
    For the love of all that is good in the world remove the beginner support tokens from the vault for welcome to shield.  I can tell you there is nothing more frustrating that busting your butt against level 535 characters with my weak roster and spending my whales and getting two beginner support tokens from my event tokens.  I am sitting on 3 million red iso and don't need any more.

Other than that I guess I am fine with the event so far and will reserve comments until completing daya 4 (or at least seeing it as I doubt I will be able to completely it).

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have a Chewie, put it on Kitty (or whoever is the strongest character) so you quickly get attack tiles out that she can boost.  Then chase yellow and lay down protects.  The rest is just mostly denying purple.

I had no problem at all today (day 3).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you are a four star player, Valkyrie or Prof X will do the trick. No support/teamup/ap boost/whales is needed. Down The Thing first. The rest is up to you.
  • MrDupaTM
    MrDupaTM Posts: 64 Match Maker
    bluewolf said:
    If you have a Chewie, put it on Kitty (or whoever is the strongest character) so you quickly get attack tiles out that she can boost.  Then chase yellow and lay down protects.  The rest is just mostly denying purple.

I had no problem at all today (day 3).
    Thanks, dude. I just used Chewie and it made it significantly easier (on day 4 which is even harder than yesterday). I played 4 star Professor and just made sure to not allow the enemy team to take any pink.

Still, took 4 tries. Definitely possible solely due to using Chewie.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    IMO, Valkyrie is the best option for cl10-level pve play when you are relying on a tile booster for damage output.  Valkyrie supplies unlimited, free strike tiles against 5* match damage without having to tank, AND she also provides free ap in a predictable color.  This has been true in just about every challenge node that won't insta-wipe the player by turn 3 (e.g., anything with 5* carnage or gritty require stunlock instead), and it remains true in these pick-1 welcome to shield nodes. . .

at least this time with hellcat, who's tile buffing turned out to be a lot stronger than expected (at least I didn't think it would proc once per repeater).  We will have to find a different plan when the new 4* is total trash.  Maybe Apoc will be good for this, as he has massive health, and against slower opponents (like the weaker shield training node teams, even when super-leveled), he can be fairly self sufficient. 

Ultimately, I don't object to challenging content (I was a big fan of the gauntlet style events back in the day), but I think that adding super challenging content into the game while retaining the grind (looking at you, cl10) and/or the healthpack system (gating the fun behind piddling mtx) is a bad idea. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the new format, and I like that it's hard. It brings back the old feeling I'd get using a 1-4 cover 4* in Clash of the Titans, but at the 5* level. Sure, rewards could always be better, but this event works for me from a difficulty standpoint.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think for myself it was more  the shock of the rocket in difficulty so early in the event. I was expecting that sort of thing later on. Now I have had time to think on it, I'm not bothered either way. Try it, if I can't beat it then so be it.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Today wasn't as bad as yesterday. I took my champed Kitty along with +2 Red/Yellow and +2 All Colours like I did yesterday. I just barley hung on to win, this was better it wasn't out right 'nuke' 'stun 'airborne' 'nuke'.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 4th column is a great opportunity to figure out who is the best solo 5* lol; for me right now it's BRB by a country mile.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Managed it with Gamora.  Attack Thing, get blue to stun Starlord, get Hellcat yellow out.  Always stun Starlord before firing anything else.  Match away Mordo's colors cause he instakills you.  Then by the time Starlord is left standing, everything is buffed so high, you kill him in no time. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    I brought a Whales teamup today, otherwise it would have been total carnage. An example: I brought Hellcat (provided), OML (285) and a character that would have to last as long as possible, in my case Okoye (451).

So, all about chasing team-up tiles. Along the way Okoye and Hellcat almost one-shotted by Mordo/Thing. OML was down to a couple of thousand hp, when I reached 14 team-ups. Drop every whale? Yes please.

This is not good. I wasn't a big fan of gating the essential character to lvl 209 in the old ST, but at least if you did have it at that level, you'd be sure of getting that 4* cover.
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Did it with champed Valkyrie.  Use Hellcat as tank and get yellows and red.  Valkyrie will create strike tiles and Hellcats yellow power will boost them.  The more Hellcats yellow power the more boosts.  Then use Valkyrie red to dice through them.  If Hellcat gets downed quit right away before anyone else gets downed so you can save on health pack.  Took me about 6 tries.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    MrPlow said:
    Did it with champed Valkyrie.  Use Hellcat as tank and get yellows and red.  Valkyrie will create strike tiles and Hellcats yellow power will boost them.  The more Hellcats yellow power the more boosts.  Then use Valkyrie red to dice through them.  If Hellcat gets downed quit right away before anyone else gets downed so you can save on health pack.  Took me about 6 tries.
    Don't forget that you can block out all the yellow tiles so Starlord's yellow countdown won't proc, so you can fire whatever powers that you want. 
    Having OML die helps too, as then Bounty Hunter makes yellow for you, so you can get multiple Hellcat repeaters in play. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 said:
    MrPlow said:
    Don't forget that you can block out all the yellow tiles so Starlord's yellow countdown won't proc, so you can fire whatever powers that you want. 
    Having OML die helps too, as then Bounty Hunter makes yellow for you, so you can get multiple Hellcat repeaters in play. 
    An added benefit of valk's passive in this fight. She will flood yellow with strikes pretty fast.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    That was a walk in the park compared to yesterday, got it second time with Valkyrie although it was close as Hellcat died before OML but I had enough of her repeaters out to get boosting and Valk finished off Star-Lord.