Revised Event: Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Options

Comments

• supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Since I enjoy CL10 challenge and 5E nodes on a regular level with a semi-developed roster, I know what pain is. So I also enjoyed this shield event's daily final node, as those pain levels are quite comparable.

I must really say, I'm a bit saddened by the final wave node. I was expecting a final enemy for each wave like the classic boss event bait&switch, where you had easy goons and suddenly a wild Venom with 900k health would appear. Or an enemy medusa or loki with 500k health who'd use the generated AP to turn your strike tiles.

Missed chance, I must say. Would've loved to read about such a wave feedback here. :-)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I guess the idea is that Hellcat has finished her training and so things shouldn't be such a struggle like the last two days were. Anyway, looking forward to playing.
  • stef_focus
    stef_focus Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The last Wave node feels like an experiment node. Try out Hellcat with any other set of characters versus all the different goons in MPQ. Plus an LL token as a present for all the hard work so far.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It seems a bit mean spirited to gate such an easy survival node behind those monster 5* nodes...
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They trolled us so hard. It was like final exam week when you're a kid where Monday through Thursday sucks more and more each day and then you go into Friday expecting the worst exam but then the teacher throws a curve ball and bought pizza and drinks for everyone to enjoy after you finish the super easy exam.
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2020
    Options
    So far agree with the wave comments. For those who haven’t played yet it’s 3 waves levels 220-270: 7 goons, then 6 goons (with 2 sentries), then 5 goons plus a Hellcat on their side (who comes in last I believe). But she came in during a cascade on my side so she died before she could even make a move. Haha. Definitely very “easy” compared to the prior 2 nodes. 

AND the full points were 300 instead of the 150 which I was expecting. So now I have 1900 points but full progression is only 1750. That just feels weird to me, like is someone supposed to maybe not finish an earlier node but still possibly make progression? I’m curious to know if the wave node is actually unlocked for someone hasn’t finished the 5* in day 3 yet. Can anyone verify that?

<edit> seems like it is locked, as excepted. Extra points are possibly for if you can’t finish all 3 waves perhaps. Additionally, you’re loaned OML but he’s not required. You only have to bring in Hellcat. 
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Options
    I did not finish nodes 3 and 4 on day 3 and can verify day 4 is locked
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Ouch.  
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Maybe you can miss one of two nodes from the days before but not both?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Re: the extra 150 pts. I suppose that’s so you could possibly clear one or two sections of the wave and get the Hellcat shards, but miss the LT if you can’t fully complete it?

Of course, I think if you can finish the prior nodes then you can probably beat the wave.  But the leeway could possibly helpful for some. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My feedbacks:

There are too many enemies on the wave node. Please reduce it to 3 x 3 and increase their levels. If the team plans to continue with this arrangement (2 challenging nodes and one easy wave nodes) , please lock out 3* deadpool and Whales.

I was thinking of suggesting a node where we can pair up any two characters with Hellcat but it had already been implemented in the wave node. Is it possible to loan a championed Hellcat that requires healthpack in SCL 10 PvP? If not, could you add in one non-wave node where we can pick any 2 characters to test out the new 4* character?

Make required 5* cover available via HfH for those who don't have it. Give them a choice of 375 cp for colourless 500 5* shards or 250cp for fixed coloured cover.

Overall, I love this event and it's a good way of showing new 4* character in various difficulty levels.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Omegased said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Omegased said:
    Mayo said:

ST original was a better deal.
    no way. There's no way on earth the original was the better layout.

The 5star levels are comparable to the bottom row of the old shield training, that no one could ever complete because you needed 10 covers of the brand new character.

At least in this version, I have the opportunity to play more, just Patsy more, and effectively get more rewards.
    These 5* nodes may (or may not) be more fun than the bottom row of 1v1s from old shield training, but at least those old nodes offered cp rewards.  Will there even be any cp rewards in welcome to shield?
    Huh? The far right row all have cp and the last wave node gave a LL. have you even played it before you complained?

embarrassingly, I had already beat all of the nodes with cp when I wrote that post.  entirely my fault.  rather than removing cp rewards entirely, demi changed the difficulty in acquiring those rewards (it used to be a strict cover gate.  if you had the covers, you got the reward.  Now it's a difficulty gate that rewards stronger, deeper rosters).  Not a terrible change on this element.

I still think that pick-1 is a bad idea against level 500+ opponents.  And difficult nodes highlight extrinsic problems with MPQ's design (e.g., trial and error gameplay is either very slow, or VERY resource intense in MPQ).  and I think there were deficiencies in the announcement. But I do also think there are real improvements in the new shield training design.

Other thoughts:

(1) Don't love the time gating on the nodes, especially since the event is shorter overall.  Play-on-your-own-time is always better than play-1-4-node- and-wait-until-the-game-says-you-can-play-more.

(2) higher health opponents would be good in the final wave node with a 4* as strong as hellcat.  It may not be as much fun with trash like Talos. 

(3) 209 actually turned out to be a pretty good parking spot for 4*s, they are high enough to be useful, but no so high as to be prohibitively expensive.  so losing the extrinsic pressure to level all 4*s to 209 (if indeed the 4* column doesn't require 209, which i couldn't tell because my carnage is 300+) is actually unlikely to change my 4* behaviour very much; I will still park new 4*s that I don't want to champ yet at 209.  But it is nice to see the participation gates lowered a bit (even if the difficulty gate was cranked up to compensate).

• BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Well, I think the final node getting easier from day to day was a good joke on us.

Since we are allowed to play around with different combinations on already won nodes without getting rewards, my wish would be to play around without rewards and without my team receiving permanent damage. Then it really would be a nice playground.
  • Justonescarf
    Justonescarf Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    How are people even beating Day 3: A Test of Skill?!

My OML is 300. I'm on my 6th attempt and have tried Okoye, Valykrie, but nothing has worked.

I'm getting one shot by every power. And usually by round 4-5. Mordo will usually kill me.

• Phyxius
    Phyxius Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I like that the final node it a little easier. Since it is replayable we could test out Hellcat teams again mid level goons.
    I don't have much desire to test any teams with Hellcat, but might like it better for future 4*s. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The easiest non-whale solution is to bring in 4* Prof X (3/5/5). He's almost foolproof. You just need to keep an eye on green and purple. Sacrifice OML first by using his black power if the next attack is 1HKO. Since you are chasing purple and yellow, you just need to keep an eye on green and blue. Down Thing, followed by Starlord. 

You might want to equip him with support that fortifies special tile if you want to.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I did manage to beat the 5* Day 2 and Day 3 with 4*Prof X on multiple tries. My OML is only Lv 255 (3/2/1). Need to chase yellow for Hellcat and purple for PX then let them boost those tiles generate by OML's red passive and PX's yellow passive. All battles, on my PX sole survivor and with some luck hoping the invisibl enot get destroyed/matched, the strike/attack/protect tiles may get boosted to very high number to take down the enemies over time.

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I didn’t try it on this ST but in other PvAI you can keep Skrull invisible forever as long as there are no AOE enemy powers . 3 invisible tiles every 7 blue. granted it took 10 minutes to finish the battle but in this case time is irrelevant 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Enjoyed the event. Solid update in my opinion. Better measure of overall roster strength, better introduction of a new character, more accessible to newer players but still engaging for high-end players.

I know people will argue the finer details until the cows come home, but I think it works as-is. The only things I would adjust is having some sort of Heroes for Hire option to pursue required characters. We had a bundle that featured Carnage (but it also had Doctor Strange, when it could have had Storm instead), but a way to acquire an Old Man Logan cover might have helped a lot of people as well (even if it's the same 250CP purchase option we see when he's Essential). Could be a neat place for a broader bundle, covering each required character (at least shards, if not a full cover), and could be a stepping stone for newer players towards acquiring 4's and 5's.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That was a welcome surprise. Day 4 was a breeze. Was able to comfortably see Hellcat at work. Sadly my repeater tile was destroyed twice, it would have been nice to see the final ramped up damage. And, not saying this too often: token to the hoard.