Revised Event: Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Options

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After multiple tries, I finally got a mainly purple board and dropped the whales on this tiny kitty team. 

• mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm mildly disappointed by the event so far, if only because they're using the same character combinations that were used in the original Shield Training.  That Riri/MB fight was challenging, yes, but we've seen it many times before.  I was hoping they'd take the opportunity to throw something new at us, but so far, hasn't happened.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m sure 99% of the people complaining how hard this is are the same ones who only use Gritty, BRBishop or Hammerhawk and since it’s not possible to us them here they’re clueless how to win without using them. 

yeah sure.... A level 300 (4/2/0) oml against a team of 550s, one that feeds a low cost green and triggers a stun lock certainty has nothing to do with the difficulty complaint.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2020
    Options
    So Vulture (lvl 323) worked well for me on the Riri-Mockingbird-Decoy level. First try, though it was very close. Obviously a full 5 in blue is necessary and a little board luck with black. Also, you need to deny purple or M'bird will destroy all your black.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dont have logan so for now I will lose the cp. Yesterday missions can be retried. So I should say on fourth day I surely achieve progression with the loaned logan.
    As sure as I will lose the token on the last day(altought a xtreme combat is expected lol. What a pity!)
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well I managed with champ Kitty / 10 cover OML / loaner Hellcat, but Riri killed my OML outright (somehow he was the only one I lost; I think I just got lucky in that MB spent 9 red AP earlier to no effect, as I downed her before Bombshell went off). That was not fun, and thumbs down to the Devs for being lazy and reusing the old ST nodes without thinking about how they'd scale. 
  • ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    OJSP said:
    Sadly I was correct. They decided to lock 4* rewards behind a required 5*. 4* rosters will max out at 50 shards for the event. This is 50 more shards than I would have if they hadn’t brought back ST, but it’s 350 less than I might have been able to get with the old ST.

I understand that new 4* covers and shards are no longer as difficult to get as they were before, but I don’t understand why that fact should preclude me from at least having a chance at obtaining the other 150 shards and the vault token. They could have loaned out OML 3/3/3 day 2 and 1/1/1 day 3, so I could have at least tried the nodes without any realistic chance of winning outside of extreme luck or whale points. (And just to be clear, if they ever run this for a 5* release, I would not expect any 5* loaner on any day.)
    Don't get discouraged yet. From my calculation, if you can do day 3's 2*,3* and 4* nodes, you could get 1450 points and the other 50 shards.
    I’m at 1050 after day 2. I believe the point awards are 50 for 2*, 100 for 3* and 4*, and 150 for 5*. That would make the total points for all nodes 1750 (200 for each playground mode x2 =400, 50 for 2* x3 =150, 100 for 3* x3 =300, 100 for 4* x3 =300, 150 for 5* x4 =600). If that’s correct, then I can get 250 points tomorrow and my total will be 1300. I’d love to be wrong. I guess we’ll see tomorrow. 
  • Feliz
    Feliz Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Mashed the 2nd day, just need to do them in right order. Hope 3rd day is as easy :)
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The 5* node was a surprising jump in difficulty, but I was able to beat it without too much trouble using a half health Thor.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,633 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    My Alliance is probably incapable of this but hey, I shall give it a try. Beyond that - this is ridiculous and why bother?
    :smile: .. I think one of your commanders is quite active in the forum, isn't it? He must be happy with your vote of confidence.. 

Out of interest, your roster is not that bad. You're probably targeting the wrong opponent first. I'd hit the Decoy first while denying Riri's colours.
    Autocorrect. I am sure my alliance is doing fine.
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Forcing a 5* requirement is quite interesting and my 2/5/0 wolverine did not last long. I managed to scrape out the win with hellcat as the lone survivor.  I am sure this would have been an easier fight had I been allowed to use the level 415 loaner that was in day one.

This is quite different than three level 209 4*. I will see what tomorrow brings before judging this event.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    In the old ST,  new players were complaining about how they could play only one node and nothing else.

This is a big improvement because most new players, or 2* players, can complete at least 8 out of  15 nodes.

If this is not more accessible, I don't know what is. I guess more accessible means being able to complete all the nodes for everyone?

Anyway, is there any 4* players who has at least 1 OML cover rostered and still can't defeat the node? You could share your roster and we'll help you figure out what strategy to use. 

Here is one tip which could help you buy some time: Let the enemy match teamup tiles because their TU is Ares's green power, Onslaught.  This power damage is based on the number of green ap they have. All their green ap will be drained and you gain half of them. The damage done is only a couple hundred.

Edit: I saw someone mentioned in reddit using 4* Prof X to beat the node. You know what to do with him if you have him decently covered. The strategy is to chase purple and let your one-cover OML get downed asap. While Hellcat is watching this from above, look for match yellow and purple ap. Prof X is untouchable.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Everyone can beat this as long as they have the required characters and a Whales team up.  It might take a couple of tries, though.  

Stop whining about the difficulty.  I had fun trying a bunch of ways before resorting to whales.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I went through a few of my champed 5s and got frustrated.  Came to Doom and won with him - barely.

Then I tried Sinister (boosted green/black, yellow/red, and brought an MBW TU).  That went great and I won handily.

Started off chasing some black to build up a buffer for hits, went after blue and laid down some traps.  Since the AI isn't spamming SAPs it worked really well.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Everyone can beat this as long as they have the required characters and a Whales team up.  It might take a couple of tries, though.  

Stop whining about the difficulty.  I had fun trying a bunch of ways before resorting to whales.
    (1) not everyone actually has those things (even if they have the essentials) because a lot of alliances do not do team ups stategically.

(2) The problem isn't the difficulty per se, It's that mpq is intentionally designed to makes losses frustrating. That's standard freemium game design: make play frustrating in since way and then sell a solution. Health is one such monetization path in mpq. But it is in direct conflict with match difficulty, because it's hard to mix and match different team combos when everyone you might want to try against whatever node is giving you troubke is on a 1.5-36 hour cooldown unless you buy healthpacks.
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I went in with a level 273 Valkyrie and level 255 OML and no boosts, managed to do it first time with two minor bits of luck.  Decoy/Riri fired green once each and I targeted the Decoy first to stop AP generation and took him out before the CD resolved.  Riri fired Blue and got a match three with the two charged tiles however chasing the bounty kept their red under control and they didn't make the match three available with the other two charged tiles.
    Chase the bounty as much as possible to generate yellow for Patsy and she boosts Valkyrie's tiles to stupid levels.  Valkyrie's red did about 90K damage to take out Mockingbird and by the end all matches were doing about 30k.
    This only works due to Patsy's skill set, looks like this will be a tough challenge for future releases.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see a lot of people do not like this event, I actually really like it.  I am glad it is more of a challenge instead of mindlessly using Thanos/Okoye/Thor/whatever for the old ST.  I do agree with some of the lockouts but maybe they will take that as feedback to make it better in the future.  Hopefully the Dev team will come back here and listen to us about it. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I see a lot of people do not like this event, I actually really like it.  I am glad it is more of a challenge instead of mindlessly using Thanos/Okoye/Thor/whatever for the old ST.  I do agree with some of the lockouts but maybe they will take that as feedback to make it better in the future.  Hopefully the Dev team will come back here and listen to us about it. 
    I too like a challenge, but in the old ST for the 4* cover you went against decent leveled opponents. Provided you had a (newer) character at 209, and the required characters had some synergy, the battle shouldn't be that hard.

Now, at day 2 already, I'm faced with lvl 530 opponents. And I'm forced to use OML who (I looked it up) even at lvl 450 only has 42k health. Mockingbird's red does 90k damage at this level.

I did finally manage with Bishop, but if I hear seasoned players struggle or have to resort to an OP team-up, I think there's a little problem with the scaling.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have nothing against a challenge that is manageable.  I also actually appreciate the attempt to do things a little differently.

I suppose the main question will be how much someone can get, progression-wise, without clearing 2 of the 5Es and the wave (which will presumably be pretty difficult, especially if you are forced to bring in 2 characters).

That said it's a bit weird to set up an event where you both reduced rewards (shards) and made them much harder to get as far as difficulty.  We traded hard roster gating for difficulty gating.

Right now, I think players might have liked it better if the 1600 reward was the 100 shards and the 1750 was the event token.  It would feel more fair to me that way; let more people get a half cover for Hellcat and make the event token a bonus thing for people who have big rosters.