That CL10 challenge node is...

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Did all four clears of Ock/Goblin/IronMan with the same team - Thorkoye and an Immortal Hulk with one green cover.  Hulk's passive damage is boosted by Okoye's passive, which leads to a massive AoE roughly every other turn, even with Thor destroying green tiles.  Took out Goblin first, as his Glider would have taken out anyone.  Doc got some tentacles out and a Cunning Scheme once (fortified by Goblin...any idea if the reactor tile does damage when it's matched and fortified?) but that was it.

Yup, I tried thorkoye with my 1/0/0 IH for the first time yesterday.  It's a very strong combo. 
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    any idea if the reactor tile does damage when it's matched and fortified?
    Unfortunately, no damage. Unlike some countdowns that will proc even when fortified, (I believe 4* deadpools), Doc’s won’t on matching it. It would have made for a much better dynamic.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Challenge Node: Empire State

Goblin/Dak3n/Demolisher

Easier than yesterdays.  Sure, daken makes some decently strong strikes pretty easily.  Sure, goblin fortifies and helps demolishers stuff go.  But honestly, its not enough to be terrifying.  Dakens blue, and goblins black, are really the most dangerous things here.

I did all 4 clears with...

Kitty/Prof5/G4mora

I wanted a cheap stun option.  I wanted to control the goon's CDs.  I wanted a tank for when the stun wasnt enough.

This worked quite well... Even got the insta-kill off at least once a match, despite not aiming for it.  Sure, it reset my buffs back to zero, but if you see the opportunity to do the equivalent of 120k+ damage, you do it!

Good luck to you!
  • Kross
    Kross Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    I used Mr SInister, 50%Thor, and Kitty and had no trouble clearing yesterday or today.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options
    This thread is fine in a sense but WAY too long now to be a useful community tool for the situation we are now in.....the events will now enter the "endless repeat" cycle and you might want to look for a strategy for a specific CN and there are 27 pages of comments to look through, trying to find the one you want.

It would have been fantastic if people had posted something like "Venom Bomb Sub 3 CN" at the top of each day's first post about that CN.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Simulator was the first time I regretted playing SCL 10. Didn't even make full progression.
  • Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    This thread is fine in a sense but WAY too long now to be a useful community tool for the situation we are now in.....the events will now enter the "endless repeat" cycle and you might want to look for a strategy for a specific CN and there are 27 pages of comments to look through, trying to find the one you want.

It would have been fantastic if people had posted something like "Venom Bomb Sub 3 CN" at the top of each day's first post about that CN.
    Another observaron is that some posters say "that node was easy with this team" but forget mentioning the level of their characters, that is a Real game changer. 😅
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you are a 5* player like me, its simple: grab your strongest. Only thing that changes is using gamora here and there.
    Being a 4* you can be more creative,  but its the same, your strongest or maybe ones that are buffed this time.
    So I think all comments are useful for all people needing some help or some ideas. 
    What some guys are playing others could not.
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    Mayo said:
    bluewolf said:

Another observaron is that some posters say "that node was easy with this team" but forget mentioning the level of their characters, that is a Real game changer. 😅
    ...this may be true.  But I think that if players have 5*s at 480+, they probably aren't having much trouble like the rest of us that have just a few 5* champs, and baby ones at that!

Maybe I'm wrong...  but I assumed the only people that came here to post were those that may have trouble with the nodes, and it's worth mentioning.  If you've got well-developed 5* champs, then whatcha doin' here?!  :D
  • PiMacleod
    edited April 2020
    Options
    [not to double post... but i finished my Challenge Node clears today]

Challenge Node: Brooklyn Bridge

Carn5ge/BRB/Th3r

...I'll make this quick today.  I didn't want to deal with Carnage OR BRB.  For all 4 clears I used...

Gamora's Stun-Kill Squad  (my version being G4mora/Hawk5ye/Hammercap, with supports being Rank 3 Milano, Rank 2 Wong, and Rank 2 Sharon Carter, respectively)

Fun side note:  At one point, I was ONE purple tile away from doing an insta-kill, and I had not enough blue to stun Thor, who had just woke up.  Thor just matched a tile, Hammer jumped in, and one of the CDs popped up on the purple that I needed.  My turn came, and since I had Gamora in front, her passives triggered first, so Thor died instantly.  What a great retaliation!

Anyways... Good luck to you!

EDIT:  Based on our previous discussion, I tried using the search function to search for past Challenge Nodes in here.  I searched for "Empire State" and "Duck be a Lady"... you know, recent ones.  Search engine found none...?  What am I doing wrong?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    Mayo said:
    bluewolf said:

...this may be true.  But I think that if players have 5*s at 480+, they probably aren't having much trouble like the rest of us that have just a few 5* champs, and baby ones at that!

Maybe I'm wrong...  but I assumed the only people that came here to post were those that may have trouble with the nodes, and it's worth mentioning.  If you've got well-developed 5* champs, then whatcha doin' here?!  :D
    Some challenge nodes will be a challenge even with level 500 champs if you play it straight up.  Any node with gritty or Carnage or prof $ can easily do 25-50k damage per turn starting on turn 2.  It's mighty hard to last very long against that type of damage even with 80-100k health.

So those most difficult nodes will likely require clever stunlock or other disabling strategies  for almost all players (maybe 550s can go toe to toe; would love to hear from that perspective).  So some variation of "if you can get X ap of a certain color by round, AND  the enemy doesn't get a lucky cascade during the same time" you might win.
  • Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    PiMacleod said:
    Mayo said:
    bluewolf said:

Some challenge nodes will be a challenge even with level 500 champs if you play it straight up.  Any node with gritty or Carnage or prof $ can easily do 25-50k damage per turn starting on turn 2.  It's mighty hard to last very long against that type of damage even with 80-100k health.

So those most difficult nodes will likely require clever stunlock or other disabling strategies  for almost all players (maybe 550s can go toe to toe; would love to hear from that perspective).  So some variation of "if you can get X ap of a certain color by round 3 the enemy doesn't get a lucky Cascades" you might win.
    It is really an insult that devs expect that challenge node can only be beaten with mostly luck rather than varied strategies or characters.

I myself have hammer cap and gamora over lvl 300 and some good champed 5*s and 2 rounds is sometimes all the ai needs to kill at least one of my team and forcing a retire to save on health packs. 

It would be interesting to have statistics on how many tríes players take before abandoning the node, and how many really can do 7 wins consistently: in my experience if I start with 10 health packs during progression I use 2 to 4, the six remaining maybe 3 tríes only before I ran out of team and I am not buying packs any more. 

Is the challenge node designed to be lost? I do not see the purpose of having no real chance of nice / clever game play and would explain why in the last event less than 750 players were in my slice.

A game can have challenge but not this way. Have the devs ever tried this nodes themselves until beating them with different teams until getting 7 wins before releasing them?

The current challenge node is imposible to be won maybe unless you have 5*s over 500+ and near máx 4* stunners. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My winning trio is on 460 level frame and I can manage to complet mostly all challenges. In fact I enjoy playing them and sometimes due to the difficulty of that challenge I did ranked better.
    And it will remain as this because Id rather champ new characters than focus on progresing on just one. I know that will not increase my rewards income, but I will enjoy more the play.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A reminder:  The difference between SCL9 and 10 in progression is 200 shards for a 5, about 1/4 of a 4 and 4 CP.  (and some iso and such)

So while we lost in 9 from before 10 was in game, it is what it is at this point and playing in 9 sometimes won't hurt you very much, really.
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    OJSP said:
    PiMacleod said:

It's quite hard to know how people actually play the game and whether they explore the characters' interactions. If we get too proficient at speed clearing events while using only a selection of characters, we might not be used to using other characters who could be useful in dealing with these challenge nodes.

I know personally I have forgotten about some of the good old combinations, despite occasionally still using some of the characters in other events. I keep reading the forum to find out about them, so I could try them out myself. There are simply too many characters to try finding teams with good synergies now. I do remember some of the good ones and I like to try them out in the challenge nodes when they're boosted. Sometimes they're surprisingly efficient and they could be faster than Hawkeye teams, but sometimes they're not strong enough to beat the node at lvl 650.
    This is probably true.

I'm not here for the "Marvel".  I love some Marvel, sure, but I've been a Puzzle Quest-er from back when PQ1 was brand new on Xbox Live.  I've played them all.  And I loved them... well, maybe not Galactrix so much... but I still beat it.  :)

I like puzzle strategies, and I miss how those games flowed.  There were broken interactions in the first one, to be sure, but there were still fun combos to find, and power combinations that really made it feel like YOU had YOUR style of gameplay.

So, yeah... I play a BUNCH of the characters.  I've got ideas and teammates for TONS of them in my head.  But do I do this often?  No.  The time it takes per day to play to progression ALONE is nearly too much.  I do that, and barely play PvP... that's like a luxury (or I'm seriously bored somewhere).

I like the Challenge Nodes.  Sure, I curse them out!  They're maddening!  They are the equivalent of the boss in most FPS games, that comes on out with a killer gun, and can take 300 bullets to the face while fighting you.  You know who I'm talking about -- the bullet sponge.  That's what these Challenge Nodes are... they take your tools that you usually use, and turn them into Nerf guns.  Then, they give the boss THE BEST guns.

But at the end of the day, I play through and beat those too.  Because I like a challenge.  I mean, that's half the fun!  If you don't have a challenge, did you even have a fight?

Anyways, yeah. I've said it a ton of times on here.  I gots baby champ 5*s, and only like... 9 of them so far.  My highest is a 460 Goblin, but my 450 Kitty does all the work.  I've beaten every Challenge Node to the point of full progression rewards (EXCEPT THAT ONE WITH SINISTER!), and nothing more.  I fully believe this is possible, and I don't even have a usable Okoye, or a champed Hawk5ye (but I still use him).

So yeah -- you're probably right.  I don't know how people play the game beyond myself.  In fact, I DO know a couple people IN PERSON that play this game, and I've seen them make moves that make me scratch my head, or wanna tell them what I would've done.  I guess I just assume that if you've been playing long enough to get here, that you've probably learned what moves to make, how to analyze the board, and when it's smarter to take the match 3 instead of the match 4 (just an example).

Oh shoot -- I came here to post my Challenge Node for the day... and here I go... 

I'll make a forbidden "Double Post" *gasp* just so that the topic may be searchable easier....?  Maybe?
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    Challenge Node:  Liberty Island

BSSM/Carrier/Carrier

Only one tile mover, eh?  Those Carriers can get out of hand with this much health, and they make green for BSSM to use... but lets be real.  If they have THIS much health, and have only ONE tile mover, the main goal is to stun the heck outta that dude!  That's just basic strat.

So, for first clear, I used Ic5man/Goblin/Vulture.  (Goblin is my highest at 460)
    For the other 3, I used Kitty/Valk/Ic5man  (Iceman is my highest at 455)

The first clear was just seeing how much BSSM was gonna hurt me without having strike tiles out.  I figured I could spam the board with protected CDs and repeaters, and keep him stunned forevs.
    It KINDA worked... but without anyone controlling the Carriers' CDs, they actually took out my Goblin, and nearly my Vulture too.

For the other 3 clears, I basically understood that I needed to control those enemy CDs, and if I'm gonna have Kitty do that, I should probably make use of her yellow.  SO in goes Valkyrie.  Iceman is there for stuns... and as soon as I get him stunned up for a bit, get some green, and those Kitty enhanced strikes work wonders with Iceman's green repeaters.

This was the story of all 3 clears.  Felt nice to NOT have to use Gamora at all this time.  

Good luck to you!