Grand Experiment 2: Treading Water in the SCL 10 Post-Shardpocalypse

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,635 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I've decided that Onslaught is my next target to champ but actually if the Devs read this thread then a trio of Banner/Onslaught/Daredevil would be just fab for next odds boost and/or special store! Thanks in advance, love and kisses!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Onslaught is pretty good actually, so definitely go for it.

• DAZ0273
    Options

I dunno how I got to where I am but I seem to be able to champ these old 5* without too much needing to use Classics (Deadpool and OML finished just this week, Black Panther last week) but if they are gonna offer better odds on anybody I am chasing then yay!

• captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options

Onslaught is great, but doesn't need to be champed to get use out of him. Removing all team up tiles is a huge boost for Shang Chi.

• DAZ0273
    Options

These guys are all in tantalising positions (I have a bunch of other I will be working on after Onny) - 2 covers away so I can't resist getting 'em champed, needed or not.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Shards and feeders filling in made a huge difference on chasing targeted 5* characters. The gimmic with classic for me is just steady, constant roster growth, and since i don't care who goes up a level when, i'm not stressed by dilution and in fact I sort of prefer full dilution for this type of play.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Shards and feeders filling in made a huge difference on chasing targeted 5* characters. The gimmic with classic for me is just steady, constant roster growth, and since i don't care who goes up a level when, i'm not stressed by dilution and in fact I sort of prefer full dilution for this type of play.

Good lord you've just turned into me

See everyone, this is what happens when you start pulling classics all the time -- it rots your brain, we all turn into Classics Zombies.

• dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options

For the last several months I have been pulling 50 Latests on rotation day and I have been baby champing the new 5*s before they rotate out. Yesterday I pulled just 30 because High Evolutionary and Gwenom are already champed and I have been slowly running low on Latests.

So now my Dino is only 0/0/2. I have had Shang Chi sharded for awhile and I got 3 shard covers yesterday in 55 pulls. Now Shang Chi is my highest 5* at 485. I think I am going to give Shang Chi a shard break and switch to Dino until he is close or champed.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'll have to assume you played casually for your first 7 years?
    Cause if you were here before 5s you should be much further along on classics.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'm on day 3406 and still have 5 to champ.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@DrClever said:
    I'm on day 3406 and still have 5 to champ.

I'm in a similar state to you. Been here a bit shorter and have quite a few more I need to fully cover (at least a dozen including Surfer - LOL).

KGB

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options

Day 2,991 here, and I haven't yet champed a single 5*. ;):D;)
    Fully-covered all through HEvo, though.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

It feels like Brockosaurus is going quite slowly. I finally pulled one organically today, the rest have been shard based. I had a max champ vulture with a dupe above 280, so the new vulture is landing at 7 covers.

Current latest:

Gwenom: lvl 464
    Brockosaurus: 2/2/1 with 303 shards
    Omega Red: 2/3/2 with 365 shards

NEW:
    Vulture: 2/2/3 with 0 shards

I’ve had my 3* on spidersaurus on the premise that whoever gets named as the Brock feeder will eventually come from him, and I’ve left my 4* on Sabretooth to push Omega Red. He is currently 368 with 337 shards. Would have been faster to build a dupe early at 360 but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it lol.

• dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options

So after ascension day I now have 186 Latests saved up. I don’t think I’ll ever have to worry about not champing a Latest 5* ever again. I did also pull 99 Classics and that was fun. I actually got several Magics so at least the featured character thing kinda worked.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thanks for refreshing this thread, I was meaning to go in and update it after the champ 2.0 announcement.

I was ready Day 1 to ascend:
    Medusa: 455
    Rogue: 457
    Valkyrie: 453
    Hulkbuster: 451
    Sabretooth: 452

I was noticing an unexpected influx of rewards from this (which turned out to be a bug that got patched real quick) and the LTs and CP helped me finish both Brockosaurus and Omega Red. I had started another 4* dupe of sabretooth right after ascension on the premise getting to 280 was about as fast as taking a 280 to 300 for Omega Red prior to finishing him naturally, so now I have a 1/2/1 growing on the side. I also used the hp rewards to add dupe slots for all the 1* characters so those covers will start to add value rather than getting sold. I do believe we should plan to backfill these characters with their base levels sooner than later rather than fully committing to ascension only to proof against the inevitable in my mind required version heroic nodes that are now possible. Once I finished Omega I moved my 4* over to Gwenpool who had the nearest to completion dupe, next will be ghost rider. I moved my 5* to Vulture. Psylocke is my nearest to ascendable 3*, and that is strictly for reward since she isn’t a good character.

Current latest:
    Brockosaurus: 453 with 293 shards
    Omega Red: 451 with 120 shards
    Vulture: 4/2/5 with 411 shards

NEW
    Miles: 2/2/2 with 365 shards

Honestly I’m a little torn on how to handle ascension at the 4* level moving forward. I think it’s safe to assume you won’t get retro rewards for elevated characters, so lifting everyone could be a bit of a trap in that regard. I don’t see a downside to doing it at the bottom tiers at all currently outside of slot pressure.

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I'm curious how people factor in the three 14x odds five stars into their pull from classics strategy. The concern being, that it greatly reduces your odds of pulling a preferred five star. It's like adding 39 additional five stars into the pool. With the current rotation, it could take months or years before there's even one of the three that you're interested in pulling.

• entrailbucket
    Options

If you're pulling Classics regularly, it's not because you're interested in pulling one particular character. I pull Classics because I want ALL the 5*, and I don't care which one I get.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Same; pulling classics is not about specific targeting via the pulls directly, it’s all about shard volume for the ones you want, which is typically Next Out from latest.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Honestly I’m a little torn on how to handle ascension at the 4* level moving forward. I think it’s safe to assume you won’t get retro rewards for elevated characters, so lifting everyone could be a bit of a trap in that regard. I don’t see a downside to doing it at the bottom tiers at all currently outside of slot pressure.

My rule on this kind of thing is always to do whatever helps me play the game today, vs worrying about the future, so it was an easy call for me.

If you were to think about it more logically though, I think the actual tradeoff is "possibility of retro feeders rewards" vs "a new 5* character to use + 5* champion rewards."

I think many, if not most, of the jumped up 4* will be pretty playable, so having them before others do will give you a competitive advantage. But if that's not something you care about, the other side is that 5* champion rewards are much better than the 4* ones.