Upcoming Feature: S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Level 10

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am curious for newer players, how things will look at lower SCLs.

I assume shards will be pushed in there, but just 3s and 4s instead of 5s (since those start in 7).  With similar reductions in HP.

I realize that it's very easy for people who have been playing for years to make different decisions around their HP use and absorb some reduction.  We have champed everyone, or mostly everyone, or a huge % of the characters. 

But for new players they (seemingly) will be even more constricted around HP rewards - with HP being further in on PVP (harder to hit with baby rosters) and a reduction in PVE.  Shards are nice since you don't need to roster them but at the same time new people will - seemingly - feel even more spending pressure as their HP income will drop while the character count continues to go up.  (203 now, I think.)

Champ rewards (more covers) do nothing if you don't have that character champed.  The iso debt is the same as of right now - well, it grows every couple weeks.

Anyway, it seems to me that this rewards update won't be very friendly to new players.  I suppose if you're casual anyway then it doesn't matter (non-spenders are not important to the devs) but it definitely seems like this will move the pain points up in time.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well I should be able to give you some feedback because our new guy is active on Line chats with us and has been playing PvP like a mad man. To give you some perspective: tomorrow will be his first ever Alliance Boss Battle!
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2020
    IceIX said:
    Test version of Infinite Pursuit, but this shows the current level scaling for SCL 10.

The shot in the original post is for a new Challenge Node available only in SCL 10. These nodes give additional rewards, but at current don't add points to the overall event scoring. We're still finalizing the rewards for these nodes to the last minute, but current expectations are things like Mighty Tokens and CP.
    @IceIX what is the new shield rank cap for scl7?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    ^where is that quote from?
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor

Didn't see it clarified - but are awarded shards for your favorited character at the relevant tier OR for the featured character?

I'm assuming the former as covers are still awarded which would tie to the featured character.

Anyway - as a lazy mostly retired player playing on the bus, I see myself bumping up to CL10 in PVP for the extra prog rewards (I play some PVPs but not all to 900). PVE I doubt I'll change too often, CL7 takes the right amount of time, don't fancy the extra time investment for CL10.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    I wouldn’t assume it’s for your favorite, I would guess it’s for the featured
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor

OK - well glad I asked the question - @IceIX  can you clarify?

If it's the featured, it's much less exciting - just adds to shards spread out over multiple characters - particularly if you only get partially towards a cover per event then have to wait for them to be featured again.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well I will probably stay in SCL 9 for PvE as I don't think I can compete in SCL 10 at those levels and the extra time it will take to make even progression clears is probably prohibitive for me.  I am excited though as it should make placement in SCL 9 slightly easier as the mega rosters will probably shift to SCL 10.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Speaking of SCL 9 - i'd like to see what happens to the progression rewards there.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Given that on average, ~5% of the players spend on f2p games and HP is MPQ's main source of income, naturally, HP will be impacted. Yes, they can give shards, tokens, covers but what's the point if new players don't have HP to roster them? The point is probably to find out whether it will push them to play/spend more and get them more invested into the game.

Look, if newer players can keep up with roster slots and also get more covers for 3* or 4* by playing casually, they will quit the game anyway because there's no pressure and no challenge. Players who who expect easy paths to earning resources but are not willing to put in the effort or are not willing to pay to progress are there to make up the numbers anyway. So, it's not going to impact them.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX said:
    Is there any hope of updating the tiers to balance competition. I’m of the very strong opinion players with champed 5 star characters should not be allowed to join SCL 7.
    With SCL 10's release, the same 3 tier entry will exist. So players that can play 7-9 right now and are strong enough for 10 will be shifted to playing in 8-10.

Is this going to be based on S.H.I.E.L.D. rank like it was in the past (and if so what is the new cuttoff) or will it be based on actual roster strength?
    If it based on S.H.I.E.L.D. rank this could be a problem. My S.H.I.E.L.D. rank has been going up since the old limits were implemented but my actual roster strength hasn't really changed that much. I was in 3* land when we were forced to limit PvP to SCL7-9 and I am still in 3* land. I have more 4*s now than I did then but I am holding them at a max level of 255. I don't plan to champ my 4*s until I have a roster that compete in the higher MMR bracket. I would also like to max champ all 3*s before moving up but might not wait quite that long.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    Punter1 said:

If it's the featured, it's much less exciting - just adds to shards spread out over multiple characters - particularly if you only get partially towards a cover per event then have to wait for them to be featured again.
    That's the point. They *want* you to have a bunch of shards on a variety of characters. Because, hey, did you know you can just buy shards with HP to finish them off? How convenient! 

Personally, I'm guessing they develop a set order of 5*s (perhaps alphabetical, or based on release date) and start them being featured on a cycle. I don't think they'll just reward shards for the 5* that is essential each event. 

The way things are right now, the three 5*s currently in Latest are essential, followed by two Classics, then the cycle repeats. Which means the 5*s in Latest get featured a fair amount while in Latest. But if they're giving away shards in progression/placement each time one of those Latest characters rolls around, that will take the pressure off of pulling for those characters in Latest to get them covered, i.e. will cut down on the need to spend to get them covered. And I think we all know *that* won't fly. 

I could be wrong about this, but I just have a feeling the 5* we'll get shards for won't be tied to the 5* essential at all (except for cases where they happen to overlap by coincidence).
  • T_REZ5000
    T_REZ5000 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    DarthDeVo said:
    Punter1 said:

That's the point. They *want* you to have a bunch of shards on a variety of characters. Because, hey, did you know you can just buy shards with HP to finish them off? How convenient! 

Personally, I'm guessing they develop a set order of 5*s (perhaps alphabetical, or based on release date) and start them being featured on a cycle. I don't think they'll just reward shards for the 5* that is essential each event. 

The way things are right now, the three 5*s currently in Latest are essential, followed by two Classics, then the cycle repeats. Which means the 5*s in Latest get featured a fair amount while in Latest. But if they're giving away shards in progression/placement each time one of those Latest characters rolls around, that will take the pressure off of pulling for those characters in Latest to get them covered, i.e. will cut down on the need to spend to get them covered. And I think we all know *that* won't fly. 

I could be wrong about this, but I just have a feeling the 5* we'll get shards for won't be tied to the 5* essential at all (except for cases where they happen to overlap by coincidence).
    I hope you’re wrong about the 5* shard reward rotation.  Having the 5e awarded as shards would be the only saving grace for the new pve reward structure.  It would ease the blow of the hp and cp loss (and no iso increase).
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    I apologize.... I shouldve clarified...

I do NOT compete for placement in PvE OR PvP.

I do max progression on SCL 9.

Also, i aim for 4000 in PvP seasons... But not every time... Real life gets in the way.  ;)

So, yeah... Thats why these changes dont affect me.  I'll continue to do max progression, and i'll see how long that takes me per day.  Right now, its at MOST an hour, but usually not.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    And then that Heroes for Hire deal pops up for 3400 HP that has non-character specific shards that are rewarded to whoever you have targeted. 

Huh. 

Maybe that *will* be how they handle it for CL10. 🤷‍♂️

That still seems too generous to me. I guess we'll have to wait and see.