Upcoming Feature: S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Level 10

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    At this point I'd still say, can I have BH back. When BH were lost they said they accepted people might struggle with Shield training and it was being looked at, that ISO was a problem. Well nothing. Instead they throttle back other resources and leave ISO the same. Still diluted to hell and still not very accessible for new players.

4* champ costs should be halved if they don't want to increase the flow.

HP I can understand, I've long thought they messed up the maths there for a resource they make a point of wanting to sell. If you don't buy daily deals you can drown in it. I was easily banking 10-12k per month of the stuff without spending a penny.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    maltyo9 said:
    So, all I had to do to get SCL10 released was retire?

If someone would have told me, I'd have quit sooner.

You're welcome, everyone!
    Right? Not long after I retired they put Okoye in the game. Then I got bored and came back but pretty much missed the window of her being in Latests and only got a handful of covers for her and like almost all of them were yellow. :( Then I took a break and then they did that Kitty/Okoye/Thor store when I was gone. I'm like "You're killin' me, Smalls!"
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm excited for folks down in CL7 and below that are rid of all the top-tier players coasting to top spots. That should actually help them progress and get some rewards that they can now earn.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Playing a bit in PvP Scl10 and it really feels like the reward structure is actually tilted towards playing wins based, at least for the initial climb stage. I find that a bit weird as top players will normally go for points and that is who Scl10 is presumably for ( Note: I am in no way a top player! I just like PvP!). I don't know what it is like in 8 or 9.

An example of what I mean is that it will normally take me roughly 10 fights to bag the first bunch of CP which used to be at 575 or 14 wins. Moving that forward to 11 fights has now equaliser that effort from a time perspective meaning hitting high value targets isn't the absolute priority it was before if you want to play casually. Interesting to see if this flows.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    DAZ0273 said:
    Playing a bit in PvP Scl10 and it really feels like the reward structure is actually tilted towards playing wins based, at least for the initial climb stage. I find that a bit weird as top players will normally go for points and that is who Scl10 is presumably for ( Note: I am in no way a top player! I just like PvP!). I don't know what it is like in 8 or 9.

An example of what I mean is that it will normally take me roughly 10 fights to bag the first bunch of CP which used to be at 575 or 14 wins. Moving that forward to 11 fights has now equaliser that effort from a time perspective meaning hitting high value targets isn't the absolute priority it was before if you want to play casually. Interesting to see if this flows.
    Credit to the devs:  The new PVP reward design is a big improvement.

Prior reward design/breakpoints had two goals:

First, especially before wins, making it harder to reach better/more desirable things so that you felt better about getting them and/or would spend (shields) to get them.

Second, after wins, making win counts high to continue to try to create more value assigned to higher rewards.  More time = more grind = you see it's good to get the reward and might spend to skip the grind.

The realigning of rewards and points/wins has a couple signals:

1.  For some players the 4* shards will be better than the CP.  I think anyone in 5 land will want CP above all, but if the shards give you a champ level that is good (or you simply need to finish the character) the known reward can be better than the unknown, especially with dilution.

2.  A need to adjust some reward breaks with the reality that PVP remains hard for (especially newer) people to engage in.  Make good stuff easier to get so people see more value of even low engagement.

3.  Maybe the reality of defensive meta/wins creating lower scores across the game, and the devs recognizing that and therefore helping players get some better rewards at more realistic point/win breaks.

The fact is that they made some good rewards easier to get whether you are going for points or wins, and regardless of your roster strength and approach it's nice to see that.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2020
    CL10 is a decisive win in my book so far as PvP was concerned. I always played 9 anyway, so I don't expect to see a different crowd. The devs really deserve recognition for the season rewards revamp at 10; it's fantastic.
    I'm going to do CL10 PvE to test the waters, but progression looks great. Just need to see if my roster is up to the challenge.
    If I could make one suggestion, it would be instead of just making the already thick mobs thicker, please add puzzle challenges (e.g., the Kaecillus encounter, character restrictions, enemy only damaged by criticals, enemy fills the screen with protects on start, etc.). I'm tired of the same tools brute forcing every challenge.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looking at the reward structure for pve I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Players in CL6 can get 4* shards from placement and then even though there isn't a 4* progression cover they can get 4* shards from progression and should be able to have a 4* cover for the essential by the end of the event. And with there being 50 5* shards in CL8's progression that may keep a decent amount of players from dropping to CL7 plus it will help encourage more people to go up. Hell I'm even contemplating going up. :open_mouth:
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    This might deserve its own thread, but CL10 to me could be the “progression-only” PVE people have been whining for. 

I am a T5-T10 CL8 or T5-T20 CL9 player, in one maybe two slices (4 or 5) depending on how much I’m valuing sleep that event. I usually catch one of the first flips, which allows me full progression but also high placement. I play competitively and enjoy the “game of chicken” trying to speed clear faster than my opponents at the end.  

Whenever people complained about wanting “progression-only” PVE, I always countered by saying that’s an option for them. It’s how I play PVP so I don’t understand why people couldn’t play PVE that way if they wanted.  The idea of putting all the prizes in progression for everyone was never going to happen!

Well... enter CL10. It’s still not progression-only in the way DDQ or boss events are. In fact, those who can place well will clean up. But for me, I think I’ll be foregoing trying for placement and playing progression-only as the return on investment seems so much higher in 10. I struggled in 9 so I know there are probably nodes I won’t be able to beat. I certainly won’t be a T20 guy. Probably not T50. But if I can hit progression I’ll still come out way ahead. More CP, more 4* covers, half of a 5* cover... just for playing.  Progression-only also means worrying about flips, slices, scheduling things around my grind also go away or at least become less important. Team variety opens back up again as Thanos becomes much less effective in 10. 

When I was one of the “haves” (T5) I told people progression-only was a choice.  Now that I’m about to become a “have-not” in a higher level- I still believe that one can choose to play progression-only and I’m taking my own advice. I’m not going to complain that the rewards top level players get for placing well SHOULD be added to progression and timers be removed. I’m just going to try my best to get enough points to meet full progression and let the chips fall were they may. 

For the developers to get a guy as competitive, comfortable, and successful as I've been in 8/9 to actually move out of that space into one where I can no longer be competitive, have to spend way more time playing, and will likely get annihilated... the rewards had to be well worth it. All I can say is well done. I still don’t like the removal of CP/HP overall and would like an explanation for that still. But I give credit where it’s due. 

I’m curious if anyone else is thinking about switching their style up to focusing on progression-only as well. I know some in my alliance are and it really should open up 7-9 for transitioning rosters to flourish. 
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    PVE SCL7 progression is dropping from 30 CP to 24.  I'm not pleased by that.
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I don't like the reductions in some resources but I feel in this case they have given us a lot more than they're taking away.  I've been playing SCL 8 for a while now and played SCL 9 three times (although twice accidentally).  The extra progression shards alone are encouraging me to push up a level.
    Tempted to play SCL 10 just to see where I place/how far I can progress but may end up in any of 8, 9 or 10 for the debut.
    Can I just get in before anyone else that in this instance at least I can't hear anyone whinging about meeting R&G again.  Very friendly PVE to test it out on, definitely wouldn't consider SCL10 for Simulator/Deadpool vs.
    With regards to PVP I'm very happy about moving the CP to 50 wins.  I play win based and almost always go for the cover at 40.  Ocassionally push to 50 for the Red ISO but I'm RISO positive so it just gets hoarded.  Very fairly have time or the team to push for 75.  The restructure will have me aiming for 50 rather than 40 and also more likely to push for 75.
  • Daredevil217
    Another interesting thought I had was with regards to when to open tokens. I opened a hoard to champ Storm/Ice/Prof as soon as Prof rotated in.  I’ve been waiting for the last of those three to rotate out, so I can open for Carnage/Bill/Sinister.

It seem like the best return on investment in terms of champing as cheaply as possible now would be to stockpile all 5* shards and to not open as soon as Carnage (or whoever) rotates in, but rather, wait until he (or whoever) is about to rotate out. 

By waiting you’ll know how many covers you need to complete the character (it should be less than 13) as well as how many colorless covers you have banked to protect you from lopsided distributions. 

The trade-off to this approach is that (using myself as an example), I’d be dragging a 0/0/2 Carnage through CL10 every event he’s featured in until he’s about to leave in order to procure those shards.  So while champed cheaply, it’ll be another year until he’s featured again.  So a definite trade-off. But I like that there are options and it really makes you think about resource management. 

TLDR: There are now definite pros and cons of chasing someone as soon as they rotate into tokens versus when they are about to leave tokens. 

• MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2020
    What are the scores like right now in SCL 10?  I usually score around 900 in PVP.  Is that even good for top100 right now?  I'm more interested in the progression rewards but also curious how I might place in SCL 10.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    MrPlow said:
    What are the scores like right now in SCL 10?  I usually score around 900 in PVP.  Is that even good for top100 right now?  I'm more interested in the progression rewards but also curious how I might place in SCL 10.
    Right now in the Ragnarok pvp event I'm #9 with a score of 909 points.  Number one right now has 979.

This seems pretty normal for pvp when I would play in scl 9.  Usually I'll be in the top ten with 900 ish points in the last 24 hours but as more people climb I'll get bumped into top 25 and usually end there,  unless in the last 3 hours it looks like I have a chance at top 10 then I'll try to do a quick shield hop.

So far I don't think switching from scl 9 to 10 will affect my normal placement very much. 
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    This might deserve its own thread, but CL10 to me could be the “progression-only” PVE people have been whining for. 

I am a T5-T10 CL8 or T5-T20 CL9 player, in one maybe two slices (4 or 5) depending on how much I’m valuing sleep that event. I usually catch one of the first flips, which allows me full progression but also high placement. I play competitively and enjoy the “game of chicken” trying to speed clear faster than my opponents at the end.  

Whenever people complained about wanting “progression-only” PVE, I always countered by saying that’s an option for them. It’s how I play PVP so I don’t understand why people couldn’t play PVE that way if they wanted.  The idea of putting all the prizes in progression for everyone was never going to happen!

Well... enter CL10. It’s still not progression-only in the way DDQ or boss events are. In fact, those who can place well will clean up. But for me, I think I’ll be foregoing trying for placement and playing progression-only as the return on investment seems so much higher in 10. I struggled in 9 so I know there are probably nodes I won’t be able to beat. I certainly won’t be a T20 guy. Probably not T50. But if I can hit progression I’ll still come out way ahead. More CP, more 4* covers, half of a 5* cover... just for playing.  Progression-only also means worrying about flips, slices, scheduling things around my grind also go away or at least become less important. Team variety opens back up again as Thanos becomes much less effective in 10. 

I’m curious if anyone else is thinking about switching their style up to focusing on progression-only as well. I know some in my alliance are and it really should open up 7-9 for transitioning rosters to flourish. 

Yes this is exactly what i'm considering. I've gone from CL9 to CL8 over the last few months due to time constraints and dealing with the continual grind. Now, I also may consider CL10 for a 'progression focus', while being competitive in placement whenever it fits my schedule. 
    I will usually have the essential 5* champed so hopefully the more casual but increased grind isn't too much work, and placement is somewhat tolerable. 
    We'll see in a few days how this shakes out. I would also like to thank the devs for finally getting to this, and increasing the rewards (net potential increase overall). 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    In Krakadoom! Slice 1, Scl10, I shielded out for the event with 1070pts, which is currently ~52nd place. #1 has 2425. #10 has 1896, and #20 has 1460. 

In SCL9, ~900pts would have been somewhere in the top 30 generally.
  • Daredevil217
    edited February 2020
    I dunno. I joined slice 1 with about 8 hours left in the event. I climbed to 1233 somehow without using a shield and playing mostly dumb fun teams. My internet has been really really bad for some reason and so I was having all kinds of connection issues and long load times between matches and still got there. Currently shielded out and despite being over 1200 and not even top 50 (59 with time to get knocked down further). I feel in 9 I would have been T25. But oh well. Increased covers and CP from progression make it worth it. 

Edit: ended 89 out of only 307 with that score. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards

TLDR: There are now definite pros and cons of chasing someone as soon as they rotate into tokens versus when they are about to leave tokens. 

For me the thought of carrying a low cover 5* essential into CL10 sound rather masochistic. To have that 3 out of every 5 events? Ooft. 

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    MrPlow said:

I'm in a first time slice bracket (so event finishing in 4.5 hours) with 928 points, which puts me at #144.  I joined the tournament on Saturday, so my placement could be quite different if I was in an earlier bracket.

Prior to this season, I'd usually play SCL7 and usually get a top 25 or top 50 finish.  A top 200 finish in SCL10 is alright by me: I'm getting the same CP, a little more HP, an extra 4* cover (when you take into account shards from progression and placement), and a tiny amount of progress on a 5* character that might pay off at some point.

I think the interesting change to the dynamic is whether it'll be easier to hit 1000 points.  With CP rather than red iso as the prize, it might encourage more people to push that high.  Defensive losses will hurt just as much, but there might be more targets available to attack.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I'm at 900 in CL10 and that's not good enough for T150. I will test CL9 next time but I think I will still be better of in CL8 right now than 10 as 1k will be my absolute max. For losing the handful of shards I will get in CL10 if I drop down I get more three stars, some HP.

Right now for 100-200 I'm looking at 1000 Riso, 2750 iso, 40 Shards 5*, 150 shards 5* and a mighty token.

CL 8 T25 : 45HP, 1175 Riso, 3000 Iso, 150 4* shards, 2and a bit 3* and a heroic.

I will try CL9 next time and compare again.