Feedback Wanted: Character Balance

Options

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    November 6th 2020. 168 days. 6 months. Hopefully this is enough time for you all to buff 5* Widow in time for her movie release. This does zero for me gameplay-wise as I have 7 covers for her.  But I’m sure it’ll make a lot of players happy. I guess it’d also be exciting to chase a Classic that’s not trash. 168 days. 6 months. Hope this is ample enough of a heads up.

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Some characters could use super soldier serum
    November 6th 2020. 168 days. 6 months. Hopefully this is enough time for you all to buff 5* Widow in time for her movie release. This does zero for me gameplay-wise as I have 7 covers for her.  But I’m sure it’ll make a lot of players happy. I guess it’d also be exciting to chase a Classic that’s not trash. 168 days. 6 months. Hope this is ample enough of a heads up.

Here, here!
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm guessing Apoc was supposed to appease everyone who's tired of that trash-designed blue generating jerk face. You know, like they did with Arch Angel and Infinity War Cap to counter Gambit...
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't care about characters anymore. When I mostly quit playing I had close to 200 of them and was using maybe 5.  I couldn't play PvP anymore because the minute I put ISO into my 5*s that was over and done with. The PvE events are beyond stale to the point of being offensive at developer laziness.  I don't need anymore characters to put up against Daken, Moonstone and Bullseye.  I need something new to do with them. When I leave for 6 months and come back and it's still the same friggen event and the same lame rewards that only make playing worth it for the top 5 finishers and the same slow play speed and the same relentless forced grinding of the same level over and over - that's bad.
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Some characters could use a dusting of nerf powder
    Don't expect WorthyCap to get rebalanced if the devs are willing to put him the Simulator event along with 5"HE in the 5* node.

Probably same thing with Bishop seeing he's in the 4* node.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    MrPlow said:
    Don't expect WorthyCap to get rebalanced if the devs are willing to put him the Simulator event along with 5"HE in the 5* node.

The time for nerfs are long past.  I have been saying that since they went full dilution, and shards doubled down on the reasoning.

Being 300 shards into a character who gets nerfed would turn up the normal anger to 11.  No upside for them.  Better to try to make counters.

EDIT:  If the range of rebalances DID include nerfs, you can't nerf Bishop without nerfing Worthy since they counter each other.  Maybe Apocalypse changes that situation a little....but I doubt it.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Balance is fine right now
    Nerfing is the worst idea. Making characters who can counter him is the best option.
    Usually nerfing makes players to quit because they see how the char which they spent more time and resources renders useless. 
    That is not fair and there is no posible compensation.
    I saw players running bishop level 350. Those 93 bishop covers how are gonna be compensated? Simply no way.
    And what happens to that char is that dies. No one is going to play a char nerfed.
    Personally I dont have any problem with bishop now. But if  I champ apoc some day then directly I will hit any bishop team I find.
  • trat73
    trat73 Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Options
    MrPlow said:

I almost see this as the opposite. Like they're saying "look how hard it is to play against these guys. They should be fixed" Just my 2 cents. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    Nerfing is the worst idea. Making characters who can counter him is the best option.
    Usually nerfing makes players to quit because they see how the char which they spent more time and resources renders useless. 
    That is not fair and there is no posible compensation.
    I saw players running bishop level 350. Those 93 bishop covers how are gonna be compensated? Simply no way.
    And what happens to that char is that dies. No one is going to play a char nerfed.
    Personally I dont have any problem with bishop now. But if  I champ apoc some day then directly I will hit any bishop team I find.
    Bishop is completely broken.  He needed to be fixed months and months ago.  Now, let’s take your example of Apocalypse.  He is a 5*.  Are you telling me it takes a 5* to combat a 4*? If so, that is absolutely crazy.   The massive blue gain that bishop has is still insane.  Best example is this SIM pve 4E node.  Bishop with another blue stunner.   They know he is broken and don’t do anything.  He needs to be rebalanced and I am not saying he needs to be worthless but it needs to be done.  
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Balance is fine right now
    One thing is to rebalance and other is the opposite. Dont say rebalance when its nerfing. 
    He is a problem for 5* who deal more damage.  So its ok that another 5* can crush him. Because if he cant stun for 4 turns there is no threat anymore.
    If he is not efective anymore obviously things can change.
    That is how games work too.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
     "Nerfing is the worst idea. Making characters who can counter him is the best option." This is a misinformed statement. What if Bishop generated 8 blue each time? 14 blue? What is the right amount? You think the devs nailed it at 5 blue every time someone with a 5* makes a match 3?
    I think 5 per proc is a fair amount, what would I spend 5 blue AP on when even cheap powers are 6-7?. Also I see nothing wrong with allowing players who haven’t broken into 5* play to force any 5* rosters that want their points to be more strategic in their approach.

I would note that the snippet above is basically straw man. I agree nerfing is a bad option. If you’re in 5* land, you’ve had your chance to play with Bishop. If he gets nerfed, well I would point to to the same Gambit threads after his nerf. Really, in what world do you see Bishop being of any use (10 AP for a stun is ridiculous) if he is nerfed? He is a scarecrow, using him on your own team all the time requires health packs spent or some additional mechanic, this is his balance.

I do get tired of seeing him in the last rounds of PvP since my G4mora is poorly covered and Worthy is a worse option than spending 10 iso IMO. If you’ve been active in the forums, you are familiar with dev response. You know they won’t get it right on the first try and do you honestly expect them to pump a lot of hours into balancing this one character when it’s clear they are more interested in counters and shifting the meta around?

I know you hate Bishop, it’s obvious. I myself cursed him a number of times in Simulator. His role is to allow players who are not in 5* land to hold onto points in PvP, maybe an occasional use in PvE. Still, I see tons of response from 5* players that it just takes the right approach, which is throwing a non 5 into the mix. Sucks, I know, but it also sucks that any vet/whale can knock those of us not yet in 5* land from T20 to T100 or lower in the last half hour of an event.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    krakenoon said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
     "Nerfing is the worst idea. Making characters who can counter him is the best option." This is a misinformed statement. What if Bishop generated 8 blue each time? 14 blue? What is the right amount? You think the devs nailed it at 5 blue every time someone with a 5* makes a match 3?

His role is to allow players who are not in 5* land to hold onto points in PvP
    That may be what players use him for,  but I don't agree that that is his purpose from a design stand point.  I base that not on assumption or speculation but on the devs own statements. 

I remember when 5 stars were first announced.  The devs told us flat out that 5 stars were meant to be massively powerful compared to 4 stars,  they told us that 5 stars with just a few covers would be as good or better than champed 4 stars and that champed 5 stars could laugh in the face of even the best 4 stars. 

They didn't just tell us that,  they demonstrated it.  When silver surfer came out they gave us a node to test him out that was a champed surfer vs 3 of the most meta champed 4 stars in the game at the time.   I remember players actually trying to lose with surfer vs the 4 stars and couldn't because surfer was so powerful compared to a team of 3 of the best 4 stars. 

The devs flat out told us that 5 star play is the ultimate tier and 5 stars are intended to totally dominate 4 stars in every way (powers, match dmg, health) They made it clear that a team of 4 stars should not take down one 5 star, so of course it's crazy that one 4 star can shut down three 5 stars.  

I believe they only tested him against other 4 stars and didn't even realize how he would interact with 5 star match dmg.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I hear ya, I just hate having dead weight in my roster and not even hoping for decent placement in PvP events. Has there been any constructive thoughts on how to fix him without putting him in the way back with Talos? What would a sensible rebalance for him even look like? All I ever hear is Bishop is OP, kill him.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    krakenoon said:
    I hear ya, I just hate having dead weight in my roster and not even hoping for decent placement in PvP events. Has there been any constructive thoughts on how to fix him without putting him in the way back with Talos? What would a sensible rebalance for him even look like? All I ever hear is Bishop is OP, kill him.
    There's been many suggestions for mild readjustment to bishop.  I think the most reasonable thing would be to keep him exactly the same,  just change his jump in front mechanic to work the same way as 3* deadpool or the thing. Make it so he only jumps in front if he has more health than his team mates. That way he won't jump in front when being used with 5 star team mates. 

That's how every jump in front mechanic worked before bishop. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looking at those events that have transpired:

1) Worthy Bishop appeared in the fan favourite store this year.

2) Apocalypse was released with immunity to stun and high health, which I believe is to increase variation of teams that players will be able to play against.

3) These "broken" teams appeared in Shield Simulator.

If I were you (nerf-Bishop/Worthy camp), I would think that based on circumstantial evidence, they are not planning to nerf Worthy Bishop soon. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    krakenoon said:
    There's been many suggestions for mild readjustment to bishop.  I think the most reasonable thing would be to keep him exactly the same,  just change his jump in front mechanic to work the same way as 3* deadpool or the thing. Make it so he only jumps in front if he has more health than his team mates. That way he won't jump in front when being used with 5 star team mates. 

That's how every jump in front mechanic worked before bishop. 
    make it so he jumps in front only on damage greater than what the average damage is for a 5* match 3 in their strongest colours. at least then there is a strategic work around.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    In response to that, whose match damage should they based on, and at what level should it be based on?

If we average out all the 5* 3 strongest match damage, those old 5* will pull down the average.