On Retroactive Rewards

Comments

• winter37
    winter37 Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Jamesh outlined some of my feelings about this above, so I'll say that I agree with him when he says:

jamesh said:
    Here are my thoughts after having some time to process:
    1. I think the decision to not hand out shards that correspond to covers already redeemed under the old set of rewards is reasonable.  I can live with the fact that newer players will get to choose the colour of the cover they receive when they hit those milestones and I got a fixed colour.
    2. I think the decision not to award shards for characters that did not previously award 5* covers is inconsistent with IceIX's description of what I received. I hadn't previously received a 5* Prof X cover when my 4* Prof X passed level 300, so I expected to receive those shards.
    3. The bonus shards from (3) ended up making the retroactive rewards we did get quite confusing.  For instance, my level 302 Thor only gave me 100 Storm shards (where I obviously hadn't previously received a Storm cover at level 300), while my level 298 Ant-Man gave me 250 Wasp shards. Even if your algorithm says that's what I should have got, it doesn't feel logical.

Piggybacking on that, the big issue I had here was communication:

1) Neither the original post not the amended statement added the night of the 9th communicated what happened when the rewards dropped, which is frustrating because I think people would be far less up in arms if it had just said something to the effect of "This change won't be like retroactive feeder rewards for 5*s getting a 4* feeder, so not seeing shards for a level you've surpassed for a particular character is expected behavior.

2) I still don't understand what the intention was with characters new to the champion rewards system. For example, I got no shards for 4* Ronin from my 3* Hawkeye, and I don't understand the logic behind that. 
  • LLohm
    LLohm Posts: 84 Match Maker
    edited December 2019
    Dear @IceIX,

can you help facilitate a swift resolution with Demiurge so they know what they can expect from Amazon Digital Day?

A swift answer with firm resolution will go a long way with us all and we would love to splurge during this holiday period!

edited for typo and context
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't want to sound too dismissive here, but I feel like people are blowing this up disproportionally. What it boils down to is in essence 'I didn't get as much compensation for the reworked champion structure as I expected', and (especially) forum-vocal veterans with high-champed or maxed 4*'s are being hit "harder" because of their respective better rosters.

Does that invalidate their point? Not completely, either, because it's undeniably weird (at least) that you get less rewards for having just a few more champ levels. And the whole announcement post thing was unclear as well.

(I'm not even sure how much this has affected me -- my highest 4*s are around level 300. I'm just more confusappointed by the whole shards system)

So what I want to say.. Well I don't know. Just it's not the end of the world. Oh well.
  • CAttitude
    CAttitude Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Real situation:
    My Riri is at 349.  I am playing Balance of Power.  I have always played through 40 wins to get the 4, but now, because it is Riri, that would be stupid of me to advance her.  
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    pheregas said:
    Should I hold onto the cover, hoping true retroactive rewards are implemented? Should I sell it? Should I reroster?
    Keep it on the vine for now.
    I sold one of the max champ and rostered again. My faith in the system is at an all time low.

I’ve already sold a couple duplicate max champ 3s since shardmaggeddom dropped. I didn’t want an extra cover hanging out in my inventory taunting me every time I opened the game, frustrating me and filling me with regret. 
  • CAttitude
    CAttitude Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Practically asking, how far should we promote a new, non-feeder 4 in this shard hellscape?  279?  297?  I am worried about CapWorthy in this upcoming Civil War event.
  • Barnstormer
    Barnstormer Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    If LTs are 15% of a 5* cover, would everyone be happy with 85% of the shards for the retroactive rewards?  Just curious.  That would make it equal for vets and new players.

I wasn't as affected as people with max 4*, but I definitely understand their anger.  When you have put this much time and money into something it becomes more than just a game.  Large chunks of my day are spent planning around this game because of the unfortunate structure.  I've been playing for 2 years.  I only have one 4* in the mid-300's(Gamora).  I spent a lot of time and money chasing the Thanos covers (big thanks to BH, I actually pulled a thanos cover and got a bonus Thanos to complete my champ, IT WAS EPIC).  It will probably take me another 2 years to max any 4*.  So if you told me after all that time that I wouldn't get the same rewards as someone starting now?  Yeah, I understand the outrage.

Will this be solved if they give out full rewards?  Yes this is hyperbolic, but what percentage of people would stay with their significant other if they cheated?  I think the vets feel cheated on.  I guess the question is how much do you trust the person will change.  Playstation changed after the PS3 launch, XBOX changed after the disastrous XB ONE launch and both have become customer friendly in my opinion.

I feel exasperated just reading about other people's exasperation. Good luck Demi, I hope you can get it right.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think 85% would have been fine if they had announced that as the amount in the first place, but the initial rewards were so insultingly low that it's probably too late for that now.