New Feature in R191: Shards

Options

Comments

• Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Honestly, what is the advantage of shards instead of Bonus Hero?
    With BH you could assign more than one character and wait for a lucky pull, now if you assign more than one char you need to wait a century to have 500 shards and, when you have, probably this char will be with13 covers and champed.
    Complete waste of time.
    Devs make money with shards. Devs didn't make money with bh. 
    You can't see the player perspective. You need to see the perspective of the entity that controls the game and their objectives
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    How do you convert shards into a saved cover?  For example, a duplicate 3* I want to save covers for until I have enough to max champ it.

I just tried this with my 3* Doc. Strange. I have a max champed and a duplicate at 5/5/3 and 60 saved covers. If I try to claim another cover (1025/300 shards available) I am prompted to pick a colour and then I am prompted to "Recruit Again?". If I try to claim the cover I am prompted to purchase a new slot. There is no opportunity to covert the shards to a cover that I can add to my saved covers on the duplicate that I already have. I can either purchase a new slot for a third copy of Doc. Strange or I can just back out of the prompt and save the shards.

So in this scenario if I don't pull any more 3* Doc. Strange covers I will need to champ my current duplicate once I have 9999 shards saved (I understand that is the max that can be saved) and then it will only need 7 more covers to max champ my second Doc. Strange.

TLDR: You cannot convert shards to saved covers.

• RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jackstar0 said:
    Making us push more buttons is a step in the wrong direction.
    I made a step in the right direction by not clicking your Like button. 
    Thank you!

;)
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd like to see an option for an occasional "shardburst",  where you gain two or three times the normal amount of shards every once in a while from a token. That would still retain a little bit of the bonus hero excitement (plus they could bring back the twinkly "Victory banner" for the shardburst effect, as a nice throwback)

• Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    pheregas said:
    Chameleon said:
    pheregas said:
    pheregas said:
    I'll probably never get a 3* shard to max.   By the time my shardable 3 has enough points to get the cover, I'll probably have already earned it organically.
    3* shards are going to be for feeder levels for me. I'll just park it and never change it.
    Yeah...  I'll see how that goes.  Might just park it at Hawkeye to get the 20 Kate covers I need to finally champ 5* Hawkeye.

It used to be I'd just select whoever gave me the LT or 4* next.

And the irony is not lost on me that I'm using 3* shards to earn a 4* to get 5* feeder covers instead of directly sharding the desired 5*.
    Not to be all negative but.. how disappointing will it be if you pull the 5* Hawkeye you need and now those shards sit unused on the 3* and 4*?
    It would surely be disappointing, but it would also be impossible.  I don't pull from special new release stores except for the earned new release tokens and I only pull from Latests.  Ain't nobody got time for classics dilution.
    You don't pull from the pop-up stores with 3 older 5s?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like this new change. And when they give us other ways to earn shards, it will be even better.

I approve.
  • Chameleon
    Options
    So, now that this is in action, I see a potentially infuriating scenario.

Say you have a 5* at 4/4/4, and you specifically want to use the system to champ characters.  Say you get 450/500 shards, and then by pure chance you draw that final cover from a token.  So, you'll have a 5/4/4 and 450 shards.  That 450 isn't transferable to a different character, is it?  If you're using this as a way to champ old characters, it seems like you need to accumulate shards long before you'll know if you actually need them or not.  I honestly don't understand why they set that up as a per-character resource rather than a generic currency you could spend when you wanted on who you wanted.

Right.  This is what a lot of players have been saying in this thread and other forum posts.

If you have suggestions please post them here: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/80482/shard-qol-tweaks-please-post-all-suggestions-here/p1?new=1
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chameleon said:
    pheregas said:
    Chameleon said:
    pheregas said:
    pheregas said:
    I'll probably never get a 3* shard to max.   By the time my shardable 3 has enough points to get the cover, I'll probably have already earned it organically.
    3* shards are going to be for feeder levels for me. I'll just park it and never change it.
    Yeah...  I'll see how that goes.  Might just park it at Hawkeye to get the 20 Kate covers I need to finally champ 5* Hawkeye.

And the irony is not lost on me that I'm using 3* shards to earn a 4* to get 5* feeder covers instead of directly sharding the desired 5*.
    Not to be all negative but.. how disappointing will it be if you pull the 5* Hawkeye you need and now those shards sit unused on the 3* and 4*?
    It would surely be disappointing, but it would also be impossible.  I don't pull from special new release stores except for the earned new release tokens and I only pull from Latests.  Ain't nobody got time for classics dilution.
    I thought that was confusing myself. “I don’t pull from new release stores except for the tokens I earn for new release stores”?

So then it’s not impossible. 
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jackstar0 said:
    Making us push more buttons is a step in the wrong direction.
    I agree. Also trying to track shard counts and do the math to avoid accidental excess being spent on a character, after they hit max level, is annoying and sucks joy out of the game.
  • Chameleon
    Options
    Rhipf said:
    How do you convert shards into a saved cover?  For example, a duplicate 3* I want to save covers for until I have enough to max champ it.

I just tried this with my 3* Doc. Strange. I have a max champed and a duplicate at 5/5/3 and 60 saved covers. If I try to claim another cover (1025/300 shards available) I am prompted to pick a colour and then I am prompted to "Recruit Again?". If I try to claim the cover I am prompted to purchase a new slot. There is no opportunity to covert the shards to a cover that I can add to my saved covers on the duplicate that I already have. I can either purchase a new slot for a third copy of Doc. Strange or I can just back out of the prompt and save the shards.

So in this scenario if I don't pull any more 3* Doc. Strange covers I will need to champ my current duplicate once I have 9999 shards saved (I understand that is the max that can be saved) and then it will only need 7 more covers to max champ my second Doc. Strange.

TLDR: You cannot convert shards to saved covers.

So this forces one to use ISO.
  • Chameleon
    Options
    Shards feel like dilution on dilution.  Also, this move feels like it makes the game even more Pay-to-win.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chameleon said:
    pheregas said:
    Chameleon said:
    pheregas said:
    pheregas said:

Nope.  An extra champ level on older 5s is not worth the CP investment.   I need all of my CP for chasing Latest 5s.

The only time I broke this rule was with the Carbage store since I had neither Goblin, nor the third 5* champed.  Can't remember who that last one was because I never pulled that third character's cover.  I went 3 for 43 in that store with no 5* BH and 3 4* BH.   Fairly garbage pull rates overall. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see that the up arrow button shows only characters that can be upgraded via shards.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see that the up arrow button shows only characters that can be upgraded via shards.
    Not true.

I have a few MBWs with only blue covers on them. I had a purple on my vine and using the up arrow filter showed me all those partial MBWs.

Also, if you have a cover on your vine for a champ, but it is in a color you have 5 of, that character won't show up in the filter.  But they will show up if it's not in one of those colors. Ex:  I assume everyone has 2 Storm at a 5/5/3.  If you have a blue or green cover on your vine for your champ, the filter won't grab your 2 Storm as a "upgradeable" person, but if you have a yellow, it will.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks bluewolf. It's funny that you mentioned Storm because I have a blue and yellow Storm cover on the vine but it shows only my favourited character that can be upgraded. Storm is max champed.

That problem due to Saved Cover has been around since its birth. I think they need to tweak the logic for applying cover, but it doesn't seems straightforward even though it should be straightforward.

• StarCrossed11
    StarCrossed11 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Does anyone know if the 9,999 shards is an all time max or a hold max like save covers?