New Feature in R191: Shards

Options

Comments

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does anyone know if the 9,999 shards is an all time max or a hold max like save covers?
    I assume that is the most you can have at any one time, not all-time.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Like I said, anyone expecting vast amounts of shards coming from the developers, look back to what we got with supports and RISO. Notice those amounts of RISO never flowed at the promised levels from D3 for those of us who bought into the concept of Supports.
    I disagree with this.  RISO is still flowing, every event.  My distant recollection is that it increased substantially (eg from I think 100 to 350 for 5th clear of nodes, and now 18,650 total from progression rewards in scl9 pve).

(I don't expect vast amounts of shards - I expect them to be gently sprinkled over every toon in your roster as they are featured in events - my personal prediction)

I agree that Support Circuit was discontinued because of many complaints about it at the time, but I contrast that to the numerous requests now for it to return.  I know that I was disappointed to see it go, I liked the change of play, and at least the chance at better quality supports.

Overall, I'm disappointed and frustrated that there is so much negativity in this and the several other threads. It's fine for us to express our opinions, but I'm not finding it helpful to see the same thing over and over. 

MPQ has changed. Now it uses shards.  Please can we be a bit patient as the rest of this is rolled out, and we see how shards get integrated into other parts of the game?

PS yes I certainly do acknowledge that having some more official communication on this would have helped, as it would have helped to get shards into the reward structures immediately, so we can talk about it as it will end up, not in the current limbo state.  I remain hopeful :)
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    pheregas said:
    Chameleon said:
    pheregas said:
    Chameleon said:
    pheregas said:
    Yeah...  I'll see how that goes.  Might just park it at Hawkeye to get the 20 Kate covers I need to finally champ 5* Hawkeye.

It used to be I'd just select whoever gave me the LT or 4* next.

And the irony is not lost on me that I'm using 3* shards to earn a 4* to get 5* feeder covers instead of directly sharding the desired 5*.
    Not to be all negative but.. how disappointing will it be if you pull the 5* Hawkeye you need and now those shards sit unused on the 3* and 4*?
    It would surely be disappointing, but it would also be impossible.  I don't pull from special new release stores except for the earned new release tokens and I only pull from Latests.  Ain't nobody got time for classics dilution.
    You don't pull from the pop-up stores with 3 older 5s?
    Nope.  An extra champ level on older 5s is not worth the CP investment.   I need all of my CP for chasing Latest 5s.

The only time I broke this rule was with the Carbage store since I had neither Goblin, nor the third 5* champed.  Can't remember who that last one was because I never pulled that third character's cover.  I went 3 for 43 in that store with no 5* BH and 3 4* BH.   Fairly garbage pull rates overall. 
    I'm confused.  Are you saying that you have all the older 5s in Classics champed already? 
  • Chameleon
    Options
    abenness said:

Overall, I'm disappointed and frustrated that there is so much negativity in this and the several other threads. It's fine for us to express our opinions, but I'm not finding it helpful to see the same thing over and over. 

MPQ has changed. Now it uses shards.  Please can we be a bit patient as the rest of this is rolled out, and we see how shards get integrated into other parts of the game?
    I see your point but also fear that if we say nothing up front then saying anything negative later could be replied to with "Why didn't you say so sooner?"
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Players in this forum wanted communication and details in advance from the developers, but the developers have clearly explained the obstacles they face a few times over the years and also clearly told the players in this forum last year how they are going to handle communication or updates.

Last year, the devs already predicted that players in this forum will have problems handling partial information. They will be unhappy. True enough, you can see from the last couple of threads about this new feature is that they simply can't handle incomplete information and behave like it's the end of the world.  Yet, they want the developers to give partial update if they can't get full update in advance. 

I believe the developers have explained their rationale, reasons, and restriction for doing and not doing certain things such as: 5* feeders, updating 3* feeders, rebalancing. Because they are not doing things the way you want it to be, they are perceived to be walking away. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Last year, the devs already predicted that players in this forum will have problems handling partial information. They will be unhappy.

Possibly I am missing something but if this is true and they had this advanced foresight then why did they ignore this important piece of communication observation and go ahead and post an advance "hype" thread for shards? I mean no disrespect to the Dev's who I feel are trying their best but the logical answers are either a.) They ignored their own predictions or b.) They acted on the basis of updated data that suggested a different outcome than predicted before? Or I suppose c.) They were trolling the forum but quite honestly as amusing as that might be it isn't a reasonable or fair assumption.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If the dev didn't post any updates or the plans they have for the game, they get accused of ignoring the players' feedbacks, remaining silence, have poor communication skills, doing nothing to solve problems or repeating that the game is shutting down.

If the players here can't behave rationally and choose to behave like it's the end of the world, then I think it's much better for the developer to keep quiet and post only when they have the full details of updates to come, rather than giving partial updates.

I think it's a mentality and attitude issue.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    If the dev didn't post any updates or the plans they have for the game, they get accused of ignoring the players' feedbacks, remaining silence, have poor communication skills, doing nothing to solve problems or repeating that the game is shutting down.

If the players here can't behave rationally and choose to behave like it's the end of the world, then I think it's much better for the developer to keep quiet and post only when they have the full details of updates to come, rather than giving partial updates.

Maybe but that doesn't answer my point in any way or form? If the Developers know that certain behaviour by them will be received negatively on the forums and have this advance intel...why did they go completely against it? What result was expected other than the one that you say they had already predicted? Isn't there a quote out there about something to do with learning from the past?
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

Maybe but that doesn't answer my point in any way or form? If the Developers know that certain behaviour by them will be received negatively on the forums and have this advance intel...why did they go completely against it? What result was expected other than the one that you say they had already predicted? Isn't there a quote out there about something to do with learning from the past?
    Maybe they wanted to go ahead and do something they dont do often in the good faith that it would build excitement?
  • Chameleon
    Options
    I'm concerned by the repeated use of "the players" as though we can all be lumped into one pile.  Also, I don't personally view anything in this game as "end of the world".  I am giving feedback.  If it were the end of the world then I certainly wouldn't care about a mobile game.  I'm perfectly able to walk away from MPQ.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options

I have an issue with this statement, and this is why. 

Supports had potential, yet they walked away from them. 

Support Circuit has potential, yet they walked away from it.  

Alliance Rush events had potential, yet they walked away from it. 

5* Feeders had HUGE potential, yet they walked away from it. 

Updating feeders in 3/4* tiers, yet they walk away from it. 

Rebalancing broken characters OR buffing  older ones, yet they  they walked away from it. 

Boss Rush had potential, yet they walk away from it. 

Gauntlet was a fan favorite, yet they walk away from it.

Bonus Hero’s was a huge release when they brought it out, now they change it to shards in part to make money on it. 

Costumes to be “earnable”, but they walked away from it. 

Costumes in VIP, yet they walked away form it. 

Updating Lighting Rounds from 3+ years ago, yet they walk away from it. 

Saakar Lighting Round event got a huge response, yet they walk away from it. 

Making the Anniversary and huge and special event, yet they walk away from it. 

Please explain to me why I should put blind trust into the Dev team when they in no way layout a full game plan for where they are going to introduce shards into the game?  This isn’t negative, this is the truth and their history, not ours. 

This is a good list for the devs to contemplate.  I've been a VIP for a long time, but when it is not fun players quit eventually.
  • tiomono
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Chameleon said:
    I'm concerned by the repeated use of "the players" as though we can all be lumped into one pile.  Also, I don't personally view anything in this game as "end of the world".  I am giving feedback.  If it were the end of the world then I certainly wouldn't care about a mobile game.  I'm perfectly able to walk away from MPQ.
    We are all lumped in one pile. We are all interested enough in this game to play it and post about it on an online forum.

Beyond that there are a ton of differing opinions and variety of player desires on how to change or improve the game. Which I'm sure is the same with the people making this game. But we always lump them into one entity of the devs.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    tiomono said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Maybe they wanted to go ahead and do something they dont do often in the good faith that it would build excitement?
    Maybe. Please bear in mind that it is Hound who is putting forward the notion that the Developers know how people on the Forum react in given situations. Note in my post above that I stated possibly they had "acted on the basis of updated data that suggested a different outcome than predicted before". I was just wondering why any Developer would deliberately ignore their own customer information if he is correct. Your suggestion is entirely possible.
  • Chameleon
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Chameleon said:
    We are all lumped in one pile. We are all interested enough in this game to play it and post about it on an online forum.

Beyond that there are a ton of differing opinions and variety of player desires on how to change or improve the game. Which I'm sure is the same with the people making this game. But we always lump them into one entity of the devs.
    Here is but one direct example of what I was referring to when I voiced my concern:
    "... the players here can't behave rationally".

There are many more examples of this but I'm far too tired to go seeking them all to copy here.
  • tiomono
    Options
    Chameleon said:
    tiomono said:
    Chameleon said:

Here is but one direct example of what I was referring to when I voiced my concern:
    "... the players here can't behave rationally".

There are many more examples of this but I'm far too tired to go seeking them all to copy here.
    I know what you are talking about. I see it plenty. Not all people on the forums will put a "some, many, few, several, etc" before they say players. People who do not use terms to narrow down numbers in things on an internet forum most likely do not mean "all" in every case. Instead of being concerned about it, maybe ask for clarification?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    Options
    1.  The devs (probably) posted about a month ahead of this going live because they knew people were both disappointed in the Anniversary (the worst PVP run in my time in the game; feeders?  Anyone?) and were getting attention spillover from the Anniversary when a good number of players come back/ramp up play since there's double iso, and the big  vault, and everything else.  So putting communication out then was good timing to keep the interest chain going.

2.  I find it amusing that we are debating the devs' willingness to post incomplete information when this very post has this piece:

"Past that, we will be updating several other places in the game to include Shards. Places like Event Rewards, S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance Levels, Champion Rewards, and more will be seeing these additional ways to gain characters getting updates. We’re still finalizing a lot of these various rewards and we’ll be sharing that information with you as it comes on line."

It is simply a good business practice in the game development industry to keep people interested in your product by teasing what's coming up.  It's often been a character hint around here since the features are few and far between.  (Game engine development notwithstanding, they simply do not launch new features very often.  I think it is a function of a small development team and a necessary focus on the immediate revenue generators to keep the game in business.)  So communication is important and essential when it's around certain things.

Look, this thread has 34,000 views or so.  Yes there are a lot of comments, but if you looked at the number of users who post complaints you probably end up with maybe 100ish people, maybe 200, who post and complain.  Out of a player base in the neighborhood of (probably) 100K or so?

We all need to stop pretending that our comments have an outsized influence on what the developers do.

Why do they not communicate more?  They are a small team with each person having many responsibilities.  It's probably as simple as that.  And at the end of the day communication generates no direct revenue, and the vast majority players log in and play every day without ever visiting the forum.
  • DAZ0273
    Options

We all need to stop pretending that our comments have an outsized influence on what the developers do.

I would normally agree with this 100%, the only thing that makes me think that the Developers do use this forum for enhanced customer feedback was the end of "Tapping". I couldn't even have told you what tapping was without the forum and I have been playing this game nigh on 4 years. I mean if the Forum represents a tiny percentage of active players then the percentage affected by tapping must be barely a blip. Yet it was addressed. Maybe this was on their radar anyway, dunno but there was a fairly active and regular campaign on here against it.