New Feature in R191: Shards

Comments

• stef_focus
    stef_focus Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Does anybody know if buying a set of shards will activate the Bonus Rewards, similar to buying iso or HP? Or are bonusses only for cash buys?
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    I'll probably never get a 3* shard to max.   By the time my shardable 3 has enough points to get the cover, I'll probably have already earned it organically.
    3* shards are going to be for feeder levels for me. I'll just park it and never change it.
    Yeah...  I'll see how that goes.  Might just park it at Hawkeye to get the 20 Kate covers I need to finally champ 5* Hawkeye.

It used to be I'd just select whoever gave me the LT or 4* next.

And the irony is not lost on me that I'm using 3* shards to earn a 4* to get 5* feeder covers instead of directly sharding the desired 5*.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    pheregas said:
    pheregas said:
    I'll probably never get a 3* shard to max.   By the time my shardable 3 has enough points to get the cover, I'll probably have already earned it organically.
    3* shards are going to be for feeder levels for me. I'll just park it and never change it.
    Yeah...  I'll see how that goes.  Might just park it at Hawkeye to get the 20 Kate covers I need to finally champ 5* Hawkeye.

And the irony is not lost on me that I'm using 3* shards to earn a 4* to get 5* feeder covers instead of directly sharding the desired 5*.
    Not irony, that's management.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,352 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    pheregas said:

I still need 7 more Miles Morales to finish up Fi5k, so I'm leaving mine on Spid3r-Man for now. I need to flip him 2 more times, so it'll be awhile lol. 3 more America Chavez covers to finish Jessica, and then I'll move it over to Miles to be done with it a little quicker. After that, I have a few decisions I want to make about where to park it.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm really hoping they don't decide that this shard feature is what is necessary to start releasing 3*s again.  Otherwise I know exactly where all 3-shards will park indefinitely and all other progress will grind to a halt.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    While the feature is fine in theory, I wish they'd make the stacks generic so we only have one of each tier and don't have dribs and drabs of shards stranded on a character, that is obviously bad enough on 3*, but would be horrendous on a 5*.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    having my 1900 CP translate to 3 extra 4 Star Covers (and some change) was an interesting (read: underwhelming) feeling. But it did feel good to finally break the horde I had stored. I finally feel like a "four star" player now.
  • Valuk
    Valuk Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Underwhelming seems about right. Even if this does end up netting you more covers in the long run, having it slowly rock up feels less rewarding than getting a bonus cover. 

I also liked have no bonus 3* set, so just getting random additional covers. That doesn't seem like it'll work out any more.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Valuk said:
    Underwhelming seems about right. Even if this does end up netting you more covers in the long run, having it slowly rock up feels less rewarding than getting a bonus cover. 

I also liked have no bonus 3* set, so just getting random additional covers. That doesn't seem like it'll work out any more.
    Sure, but it'll just take you an extraordinarily long time, then you'll get a ton at once! lol.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    pheregas said:
    If by full you mean getting to 300 shards for the free cover all it takes is opening 50 standard tokens. That really isn't very many (unless you are just starting out maybe). If you mean actually maxing the counter (99999?) then yes that would take a while.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not a great mobile game economy mind, how do we assess if these are a decent deal or not?

Pasting from page 1:

Also, some of you have been wondering about initial Shard Shop costs. Those are as follows:

One 4* cover (400 shards - all 20 packs) would be 4320hp if I did my sums right, so quite a bit more than a hfh deal for 3600hp. However it would be for the colour of your choice....

It wouldn't be worth it for me.... but everyone is different, so to each their own.

Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense to buy all 20 but if you were to do 50% on hp and 50% shards then the hp cost would be 1820 hp which is roughly on par with hfh.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was the cost of second Heroic Token pull always 300HP? I always thought it's 200.
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I also think to ward off people complaining about “wasted shards” and getting the bad press, they just won’t offer us as many avenues (special stores) where that could happen. I hope that’s not the case because those stores have helped me immensely in my transition, as I’m sure they would others.
    Also, not to complain if a feeder comes along, but when it does, previously unknown to the players that it was coming, we could be left with wasted/unused shards because the character gets what we needed via the feeder.  I don't want the devs to not give us those feeders just because we'll not be happy about the unused shards.  I *do* hope they give us the opportunity to move those shards if we get what we need before the shards accumulate!!
  • Chameleon
    bluewolf said:
    I don’t have the metrics on costumes but you’d think with all the people saying “just sell them for $2 each as standalone items” that they’d try it with just ONE single costume.  Too stubborn.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they die too if people aside from those in buy clubs anyway aren’t buying them. 

.. a new character that has a good chance of being poorly received (Carnage) and not moving anyone to blow some bucks on them.
    Not gonna happen so long as they continue to make us need them for SHIELD Training.
  • Chameleon
    pheregas said:
    For me, I'm going to be forced to hoard tokens that reward 4* shards (shargetting?) so that I can immediately select the newest 4 as soon as they hit tokens.  I'll probably rarely be in a position to sharget anyone but the newest 4 again.  Currently, I only BH the newest 4 until 10 covers, then expand my focus to any character at XX9 for the LTs, then un-heart them when the newest 4 enters tokens.

This requires no hoarding.

With the Shard system, I'll want to maximize my shard points to the newest 4 exclusively.  

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate hoarding?  Yes.  Yes I have.
    I like that term.. Shargeting!  One t or two?  Hmmm

If we follow standard spelling rules then it will be as follows:
    Sharget
    Shargeting
    Shargeted
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,689 Chairperson of the Boards
    More screens. More clicks. More to keep track of. 

Am I talking about shards or supports? What thread am I in?

I can already feel my eyes glazing over. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Highly curious now what the numbers are going to look like for shards given in placement/progression. This feels like a snails pace in terms of how frequently I got 3-star BHs, at least in current state. Could say the same for 4s and 5s though definitely not to as significant a degree. How they dole these out in other parts of the game is gonna be critical.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    So is it possible to use shards to recruit a duplicate of a hero? The in-game help says "shards can unlock a hero, upgrade a power, or increase champion levels", and I was able to use bonus heroes to start a duplicate before.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    jamesh said:
    So is it possible to use shards to recruit a duplicate of a hero? The in-game help says "shards can unlock a hero, upgrade a power, or increase champion levels", and I was able to use bonus heroes to start a duplicate before.
    I should think so. If I'm reading correctly, you can also use shards to get a character you don't have yet.