Captain Hammertime and his broken friends

Options
Chrynos1989
Chrynos1989 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
What’s it lately with all those broken chars? Juggs, ProfX, Captain Hits-every-nail, is it some giant troll? If yes, it’s a job well done.
And sorry for all the sarcasm, it was that or smashing my own head against a brick wall...

Edit: I admit that the original title was badly chosen and I excuse for any bad feelings it caused, it was chosen in a high state of frustration and after a 36h period of sleep deprivation

Comments

• Chrynos1989
    Options
    OJSP said:
    What's broken about them?
    You serious? Try to beat cap / Barton in pvp and ask again
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,710 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don’t have enough experience going against cap and Clint to comment really, but I haven’t lost to those I’ve tried. But the others mentioned I certainly don’t bat an eyelid facing. I don’t see them as broken at all. I’ve had a couple of fights go badly against prof. I’ve won but got hurt but surely that’s the point. 

I still wish cap was a 5* though.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My main team ATM is Bart/CapHam/XFDP, the amount of blue and red....Holy ****
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My main team ATM is Bart/CapHam/XFDP, the amount of blue and red....Holy tinykitty
    After the AI's first match I had 30 Red and blue AP.

But JJ/HE/Worthy....that's the one everyone is running.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You just need to hit cap lightly just like bishop. At least cap only really shines with Hawkeye. Bishop shines with anybody. But yeah worthycap Hawkeye is absurd. Do not put bishop in vs worthy cap hawkeye if you team him with a 5*.

If they pop your bishops overclocked 2 times in one turn. That 24 blue and 16 red the enemy team gets on their next turn. Plus whatever cascades cap gets converting yellow to blue and red. It gets ugly quick.
  • Chrynos1989
    edited September 2019
    Options
    OJSP said:
    I haven't seen any of that team yet. I can see why that would be tricky.. but I think I can beat that team with IM40 or Vulture and someone who stuns with blue.
    For every hit cap takes, he creates around 5 1-turn-countdown tiles, every countdown tile that expires gives Barton 2 red and 2 blue, worst case Barton ends with 30 red and 30 blue after your first turn, spamming you with high damage red and all his blue skills, which are also countdown tiles and give him red and blue again, oh, and cap jumps in front every time and negates a lot of the incoming damage
  • tiomono
    Options
    OJSP said:
    tiomono said:
    Do not put bishop in vs worthy cap if you team him with a 5*.
    Why? He could fuel Dr Strange quite effectively. And also, are we talking a 3-on-3 or 2-on-2 situation here?

Again, like I've said before in a different post a long time ago, I don't really enjoy theory-crafting because I like to play around against a team with what I have. But, I imagine the mechanics that makes Worthy Cap useful in the team could be countered by different teams.

The synergy with Hawkeye is not entirely different to Hawkeye's synergy with Loki, Coulson, Gambit or any other CD makers. The spammability of Hawkeye's powers make that team really vulnerable against Dr.Strange.

The synergy with JJ is due to potential cascades the CDs create when resolving and subsequent powers they can use with those APs. There are lots of characters that punish cascades, so I'm quite confident they are beatable too. 

So, this comes back to my question above. What is broken? Fast AP gain from the CDs? The high chance of making cascades? The low damage threshold? All of them?

We've had a lot of teams that were able to punch above their weight and of course if they were truly broken, they ended up getting their powers changed (a few examples off the top of my head: 3*Magneto, 3*Spidey, 3*Ragnarok - all got their powers updated, but some characters with good synergy still exist: 3* Hulk and Patch - Hulkbombing, Patch and Loki, 4* Captain Marvel and Sentry, 4*s Rocket, Gamora, Medusa, etc.) With my lvl 300s Rulk, Carol and Valkyrie, I've managed to beat some lvl 500+ teams. Are they broken too? 

At the moment, I see Worthy Cap can be problematic, but there has to be a criteria before we call every strong new character broken. I see this problem more of a power creep issue.
    Hawkeye, worthy cap just gets crazy fast. So say you take bishop and any other 5*. You match 3 cap jumps up and slaps down 4 cd's. Now it's their turn 4 cooldowns go off. They gain 12 blue 8 red. And likely get a cascade from cd's going off and changing yellow to blue or red. That likely hits bishop which procs cap again. 

I think Hawkeye cap may be a counter to bishop with a 5*. But it's pretty early for me to tell.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    tiomono said:
    Hawkeye, worthy cap just gets crazy fast. So say you take bishop and any other 5*. You match 3 cap jumps up and slaps down 4 cd's. Now it's their turn 4 cooldowns go off. They gain 12 blue 8 red. And likely get a cascade from cd's going off and changing yellow to blue or red. That likely hits bishop which procs cap again. 
    So, does that mean we have 10 blue AP? We can just stun Hawkeye and let Cap use up the red and blue. I think Cap will be downed by one or two of my Strange's Flames. During that time, maybe Bishop makes another 10 blue AP?
    Captains blue is preferred over Hawkeye unless HE is stunned.  It's like Bishop team stun all over again
  • WiDoW0042
    WiDoW0042 Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think the Hawkeye/C4p/other is an effective counter to the Gritty/Bishop team.  Case in point, I was attacking an H/C/JJ team with my G/B team.  Made one move, sat for five minutes watching the countdown chaos and AP climb, and bam! Bishop down.  Made one more move and then the rest of my team was gone.  Two moves and done.
  • tiomono
    Options
    OJSP said:
    dkffiv said:
    Captains blue is preferred over Hawkeye unless HE is stunned.  It's like Bishop team stun all over again
    So, why can't we make a match with Bishop or the other character other than Strange and let Strange hit Cap with Flames? I appreciate Bishop might only tank red. This is exactly the reason why I don't like theory crafting about a match. There's a lot of factors involved to complicate the situation.

Look. I'm not denying that Hawkeye Worthy Cap would be a good combination. But, it's quite telling that in S2 I haven't seen it used since his release event (and during that event Coulson was boosted to make things worse, so I instinctively avoided it).

I see a lot of Okoye Strange Bishop instead, so maybe people are wary of Hawkeye Cap and using that team as a deterrent?

I have already run across 4 teams with worthy Hawkeye. When more people get cap covered buckle up.
  • tiomono
    Options
    It was in slice 1. One was a champed cap. One had around 8 covers 4 yellow. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i took on that team not realizing what i was getting into. not sure what level ham-cap was, but before i knew what was going on i was done.

obviously the devs don't see this as a broken mechanic cause now there's two characters that jump to the front and cause a high loss probability.

• Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have yet to beat Hawkeye and hammer cap.  As stated by others, the AP gain and cascades that create even more red and blue is too fast to overcome, even with strange.  All teams I've tried have had JJ which the AI fires her red first and often.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,710 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    Options
    The only issue is how I get my own Hawkeye. If these people with him smash the floating bishops, well thats a plus.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Over in slice 5, all I find is Troll Team Cap now that I have 900+.