** Moonstone (Dark Avengers) ** [PRE 2015-05]

Options

Comments

• I was thinking today, it would be cool if her purple moved all enemy special tiles to the center of the board. That way Ragnorak could smash them with his green. It would be a cool DA synergy combo.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ToryTory wrote:
    Bygix wrote:
    teorouge wrote:
    Sorry guys, did you observe a discrepancy between user and CPU rules for purple power? I mean, CPU can choose not to swap anything and simply crush tile and deal damage even with special tiles in play, while players must choose a special tile if there are any.

the CPU might not have the power fully leveled, meaning that she can only swap certain colors. So if none of the colors she has the ability to swap are on the board (Lets say she can only due purple black and blue) then none will be swapped and damage will be done

Heres a thought to make Moonstone more playable: on leve 5, make Gravity Warp destroy the selected swap spot and do damage, then swap the new tile into its place. How great would that be?

Moonstone could use some tweaks. She's actually one of my favorite 2* being so underused and with a whopping 4.1k~ HP (Off the top of my head) at 85. I've got her at 5/5/3, which would be the norm for her.
    She needs only a little bit of loving and she'd be perfectly usable.

1)Her red's base damage should go up, and then just be left at +200 damage for each red on board. Very rarely will you have any red left on board after you charge her skill up. It's lame to see photon blast at 11 AP and do a pitiful 800 damage. As someone said, you need 13 Red on the field to do more damage than Adamantium Slash, which costs only 2 more Red. If you want to be lazy, just slap on team damage. A red AOE, even at 800 damage x3 would be good. There aren't any red tile generators (I think) so it's not like she's going to be doing obscene damage, unlike 2*, 3* Thors.

2)Gravity warp is nice. I was playing her a bit in the First Avengers pvp. I needed a purple user and just slotted her with LCap and Hood. Gravity warp does a solid 1k damage. The only change I'd recommend is at level 5, you have the option of swapping any tile or flat out collapsing it. Functionality is always good. You could swap a tile it for a crit, or if the board sucks just collapse it. This skill is surprisingly good in PVP. Unless of course you run into Daken icon_twisted.gif

3)Her black needs an overhaul. Couple of suggestions have been floating around. Lower cost and functionality or at 17 black, make it a game ender. Right now, it's pitiful, but there have been good times where I've stolen a high leveled tommy gun and won because of that in PVE. icon_e_ugeek.gif

I agree except Gravity warps is in need of an overhaul too, it should be more akin to OBW's blue, if they have a tile out you get half damage in addition to the swap, if no special tiles then full damage, because at the rate every character has a special tile, her purple almost always does no damage.

Red is almost fine I agree needs a higher base damage, and black, oh, black, drop that to 12-14 at minimum and we have a winner.
  • So, I was happy to see this gal got a buff in current Sim event along with Ares. I have a level 50 Moonstone (5/5/3) who is level 90 buffed. In one of the fights I took her, Ares and OBW for healing. There were so many countdown tiles her purple power was useless as it's so random. I used Aggressive Recon instead. Later in another fight or same fight (I don't remember), I saw one of her powers was pulsing. It seems I collected tiny bit of black, 17 to be exact. I thought cool, let's use it. She stunned one of the opponents for 2 turns. Yay? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • I currently have a 3/4/5 Monstone but only at Level 6 as I didn't want to waste iso on her. But I do have 30,000 iso hanging around with no one else to currently spend it on. Would it be worth while upgrading her and giving her some HP or is it a waste? I have seen that she is currently buffed in the newest Simulator events. I usually roll with Thor or Wolvie and OBW so not sure how much use I would get from her red or purple.
  • Control Shift turns to work great in environments where Gravity Warp would not and vice versa.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Control Shift turns to work great in environments where Gravity Warp would not and vice versa.
    True. I happened to use Control Shift at a bad time. Still it's not a good skill by a long stretch.

@swingking03
    I wouldn't bother. I leveled her because I didn't have much to spend my Iso on really and hoping at least two of her skills are gonna be reworked by devs one day.
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Powered-up Moonstone is surprisingly fun in the Simulator event. If not paired up with Ares, Wolverine or some other red heavy hitter, her red does pretty good damage, and her Gravity Warp is great at setting up chains if you just need to get rid of that one pesky tile, plus the damage is decent. I still haven't ever gotten enough black to use Control Shift.
  • Unknown
    Options
    My favorite way to use Moonstone is to pair her with Storm and OBW. You get the full rainbow, and assuming you have OBW 1 or 2 levels higher than the others, espionage feeds powers like control shift and windstorm very nicely. With this combo I can actually get off a control shift or two almost every time.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My favorite way to use Moonstone is to pair her with Storm and OBW. You get the full rainbow, and assuming you have OBW 1 or 2 levels higher than the others, espionage feeds powers like control shift and windstorm very nicely. With this combo I can actually get off a control shift or two almost every time.

Plus it's like ladies night. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    That works until Moonstone gets buffed to a higher level than OBW icon_e_wink.gif

That said, I really don't find it hard to accidently find I've got enough black to Control Shift - the AI seems to pick it up fairly regularly so Aggressive Recon usually nets me a bunch of it. Alternately, you could run her with Dr Doom and tech strike your way to enough black AP.

I finished off a team in the Simulator earlier by hijacking one of Hawkeyes blast arrows icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Options
    Moonstone was actually the first ** character I leveled up as a noob, because for some reason the AI kept raining her covers down on me. As it turned out, I actually enjoy playing her. I felt totally vindicated in the most recent Dark Avengers event, where I finished top 10 with just Moonstone and Daken. Every time my girl photon-blasted the opposing team's Ares into oblivion, I laughed an evil supervillain laugh. It was very gratifying.

Also, at one point there was a discussion thread about the best 1-2-3 roster (one *** char, one ** and one *), and I was thinking it would be fun to run IM40, Moonstone and mBW. IM40's yellow would charge photon blast without removing any red from the board, and it would also charge mBWs blue. So you could just keep stunning and photon-blasting the opposing team for fun times.
  • Unknown
    Options
    When she first got released, and I posted this thread, I had started out as 5/5/3. Prior to her purple change, this was the best build for her. After purple changed, I ended up moving her to a 3/5/5 build.

Why from r5 to r3 purple? Because being able to have a better chance at dealing the warp damage and the potential creation of a match or 5 of a kind setup is what I wanted to maximize. It's fine and dandy to be able to warp a special tile to a designated target, however, as you go higher in ranks, the harder it becomes (odds wise) that the one you want to move is the one you end up getting. At rank 3, she only deals with her 3 colors and the "throwaway" yellow (this is just weird for being at rank 3). So even if there are only blue and green tiles on the board, you will still be able to manipulate the board to your advantage and deal better damage than hoping and trying for a simple match instead. This skill at all ranks loses utility against minions, but against player characters, r3 ends up much better.

R5 black actually becomes much better, despite its high cost to activate. It has many things going for it:

1. The only black skill that stuns! So you could in theory have 2 stuns on your team that don't interfere with each other colorwise.

2. At r5, not only does it reduce a cd tile to a max of 2 turns (looking at you Don Trap tile, or Sniper shot), combined with a guaranteed stun, you can force a solo target to eat it's own ability while making sure they have no chance to destroy it.

3. The best part of this skill is that because it's essentially a two part ability at r5, you can choose the target you want to stun, then switch to another character and have the stolen ability go off on them. That player character amidst two minions? Stun them and you have two, three turns without worrying about player movement, while the cd tile goes off on a n ap generating minion.

4. This ability utility is excellent for minion battles, if she is the only character that has black on your team.

I still like Moonstone. She was one of the first 2* characters I personally levelled high because she is a fun character to play with, and becomes an even greater blast (pun intended) when she is buffed. If you like her, I would recommend this build for the reasons outlined above. But whatever way you do decide to end up building her, 5 red will always, ALWAYS be a must.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I have her at 5/5/3. I like 5 purple because it does more damage when there aren't special tiles on the board. Black is too expensive anyway but it can still stun for 2 turns when there aren't any countdown tiles on the board. Btw, I used her black in one of the Maggia Don nodes in Sim recently to take control of a black trap of Don that was going to go off next turn. It had 1 turn left. There were also lots of countdown tiles on the board ensuring an OHKO. I was very lucky to take control of that specific tile icon_mrgreen.gif
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Did they change the AI for her Gravity Warp?

I seem to remember that when she used it, it only moved the tile to somewhere else on the board and did not make a match. In this Iso-8 Brotherhood event, she seems to make matches with it all the time.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TazFTW wrote:

I seem to remember that when she used it, it only moved the tile to somewhere else on the board and did not make a match. In this Iso-8 Brotherhood event, she seems to make matches with it all the time.
    Just coincidence, the AI is still pretty derpy but they changed power use behavior a little.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Yeah... if I have 17 black, I will just get 7 more and Rage of the Panther twice. *trollface*
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    TazFTW wrote:

I've been noticing that too - kinda like she's made a deal RNGesus to go for the right special tile every time. Even with multiple options on the board (red strike tiles, black attack tiles and Bewilders CD tile) she managed to grab a strike tile to set up a red cascade.
  • Unknown
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    TazFTW wrote:

I've been noticing that too - kinda like she's made a deal RNGesus to go for the right special tile every time. Even with multiple options on the board (red strike tiles, black attack tiles and Bewilders CD tile) she managed to grab a strike tile to set up a red cascade.
    Must be RNG. Today when I played she didn't achieve anything with her Gravity Warp. She just seemed to put a strike tile of mine somewhere random.
  • falsep77
    falsep77 Posts: 35
    Options
    Now that we have Butterface Danvers/Captain Marvel clogging up our rosters, now would be the PERFECT time to.... at least drop the cost of control shift to maybe 10 on her polar opposite.

Think of the fun you could have if gravity attracted tiles of a chosen color either/both vertically/horizontally and didn't switch that last damage tile that you didn't notice was tucked in a corner.

Think of the fun you could have with Carol and Karla on a team!

Don't touch red. Red id great. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    falsep77 wrote:
    Think of the fun you could have if gravity attracted tiles of a chosen color either/both vertically/horizontally and didn't switch that last damage tile that you didn't notice was tucked in a corner.
    Could you explain some more? Not sure how that would work.
    Don't touch red. Red id great. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Agreed.
This discussion has been closed.