** Moonstone (Dark Avengers) ** [PRE 2015-05]

Options

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unity wrote:
    Woukd making Moonstone black power (control shift) alter 2 -4 tiles instead of 1 help? I mean if it takes 19 ap why shoukdnt it be able to change more that 1 tile. And her purple power needs way more control, i was thinking she should be able to swap alot of tiles like magneto . . .
    To be honest, who in this game has a low casting black? Not going to count Doom since he had a blue that creates black.
  • Unity wrote:
    Woukd making Moonstone black power (control shift) alter 2 -4 tiles instead of 1 help? I mean if it takes 19 ap why shoukdnt it be able to change more that 1 tile. And her purple power needs way more control, i was thinking she should be able to swap alot of tiles like magneto . . .
    To be honest, who in this game has a low casting black? Not going to count Doom since he had a blue that creates black.

Punisher, Hood and mStorm
  • I would mind a black power costing 11-12 AP if it's actually good for Moonstone...
  • I think black is clearly intended to be the 'bad' color. Prior to The Punisher, stunning for 2 turns for 17 black is probably one of the better uses of black AP.

Moonstone is an interesting character in the meta game. She's obviously not like Thor or Wolverine, but Gravity Warp provides reasonable protection against Feral Claws which is definitely the most dominating 2 star skill in the game. That is, trading 8 purple AP to get rid of a strike tiles and usually netting 3 red AP in the process is about the best you can expect to deal with such a powerful ability.
  • I actually disagree... I agree with bad being a bad color, but the best use for black prior to Punisher would be Venom's devour for sure, combined with Spidey. Of course, you have to use a 1* character for that capped at 40(?), which says a lot about how bad black is.

If Gravity Warp will let you pick the special tile to warp instead of random, then it would be much better.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Options
    I actually disagree... I agree with bad being a bad color, but the best use for black prior to Punisher would be Venom's devour for sure, combined with Spidey. Of course, you have to use a 1* character for that capped at 40(?), which says a lot about how bad black is.

If Gravity Warp will let you pick the special tile to warp instead of random, then it would be much better.
    Venoms devour wasn't level dependent, just cover dependent.
  • I actually disagree... I agree with bad being a bad color, but the best use for black prior to Punisher would be Venom's devour for sure, combined with Spidey. Of course, you have to use a 1* character for that capped at 40(?), which says a lot about how bad black is.

Venom obviously isn't competitive overall though due to his extremely low levels so having a decent black doesn't mean much.

If you can pick which special tiles to warp you might as well just give Moonstone a passive ability where no opponent can use CD tiles when she has at least 8 purple AP. It'd save them (characters with CD tiles) the embarassment of having their special moves instantly nullified.
  • Doesn't Cap has that move? As long as he has around 12 red or blue AP, no CD tiles for them.

Doesn't make him OP....
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:
    Doesn't Cap has that move? As long as he has around 12 red or blue AP, no CD tiles for them.

Doesn't make him OP....
    I think that's only if you build 3/5/5 on Cap. Would say it's broken but nobody really has a crazy OP CD.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Doesn't Cap has that move? As long as he has around 12 red or blue AP, no CD tiles for them.

Doesn't make him OP....
    I think that's only if you build 3/5/5 on Cap. Would say it's broken but nobody really has a crazy OP CD.

No PLAYABLE person, that is.

The most OP countdown I've seen? I vote for the Maggia Thug yellows. 2-turn countdown tiles every single **** turn, I swear, one of these days....

Anyway, although not OP, I have to say that Modern Hawkeye's CDs are very damaging, and you do NOT want to be hit by one of them. Cappy will cripple Hawkeye effectively if built right, I think.
  • HI, may I know what is this heroic event about?
  • If Maggia Thugs are a playable character they'd be on par with the most broken characters.

Though that brings a question, why shouldn't people have broken CD abilities? We have quite a few character with broken instant abilities. CD at least gives you some time to deal with it, so shouldn't they be even more powerful? What if we have something like 20 black - creates a 5 turn black CD tile, if it goes off your opponent loses the next 5 games (and you get score equal to winning 5 games)? That'd make people want to have Bagman around!
  • Sorry guys, did you observe a discrepancy between user and CPU rules for purple power? I mean, CPU can choose not to swap anything and simply crush tile and deal damage even with special tiles in play, while players must choose a special tile if there are any.
  • Would anyone who has Moonstone at 85 x/5/x mind telling me what the base and per-tile damage of Photon Blast is there? Or tell me where I should be looking to find that, that'd work, too. Want to see how many tiles she'd need to outdo Adamantium Slash now.

Edit: nvm, found it in the compendium thread. 392 + 200 per vs 2884. Photon Blast wins at 13 red on the board, which is asking a bit much, but not unheard of, I guess.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm wondering how Moonstone would work against Daredevil. You don't see his trap tiles when your opponent is using them, but would it still be a valid tile to be swapped with her Purple ability? Could be a nice counter for the DD tourney
  • Jathro wrote:
    I'm wondering how Moonstone would work against Daredevil. You don't see his trap tiles when your opponent is using them, but would it still be a valid tile to be swapped with her Purple ability? Could be a nice counter for the DD tourney
    Moonstone cannot swap trap tile. Already checked it during Oscorp heroic.
  • Jathro wrote:
    She could destroy it (with extremely lucky guesswork and no other special tiles up) but won't swap it. Second-guessing the design here, but the trap is a basic tile as far as the opposing team is concerned, unless they match it. They see it as a basic tile, so that does make sense. It's consistent with abilities that convert basic reds (notably the family Wolverine, but also Punisher, M.Storm, M.Hawk, Cap, MNMags, and probably more I'm not thinking of) overwriting it. Again untested, but I assume GSBW can do it with Deceptive Tactics. Since that's targeted and traps don't go on purple she might wind up a fairly practical counter - just spray out all matchable red - should DD see enough use for it to matter, especially considering her other abilities if you ever get to them also blow up the board. Board smashers sound like a good idea for the 25% or so chance of nuking one trap, but also have a decent chance of matching one in a cascade, especially if several are up.
  • It doesn't seem like Moonstone is such a great character, but seeing as how she is in the current PVE tournament, she can be useful.

I currently have her at 1/1/3, and I have another grey cover. I am wondering if it is better to wait for the other powers to go 5/5/3.. or to just go for it? 17 ap is a lot.

Is there anyone who has used her who would be able to recommend what to do with Moonstone?
  • I prefer 5/5/3, as I don't find her Black very useful.

Black at level 5 you get a guaranteed 2 turn stun in addition to the countdown theft, but it's only for one character. It might be useful against PVE maggia groups, but it still takes way too much black to make it useful in my opinion.

I took level 5 gravity warp because it's one of the few Purple Damage abilities, and board manipulation is somewhat good too. Although at level 5 it picks a random special tile, you can move anything into the path of a 4 match to guarantee an eliminated tile (or if there's only one special enemy tile it'll move that one, so you can easy match it).

Level 5 red is potential low to potential high damage (based on # of red tiles on the board), but her and Psylocke are the only two female characters with red damage. I figured I took that in case of future No Man's Land tournaments.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SirKopath wrote:
    I prefer 5/5/3, as I don't find her Black very useful.

Black at level 5 you get a guaranteed 2 turn stun in addition to the countdown theft, but it's only for one character. It might be useful against PVE maggia groups, but it still takes way too much black to make it useful in my opinion.

I took level 5 gravity warp because it's one of the few Purple Damage abilities, and board manipulation is somewhat good too. Although at level 5 it picks a random special tile, you can move anything into the path of a 4 match to guarantee an eliminated tile (or if there's only one special enemy tile it'll move that one, so you can easy match it).

Level 5 red is potential low to potential high damage (based on # of red tiles on the board), but her and Psylocke are the only two female characters with red damage. I figured I took that in case of future No Man's Land tournaments.

+1: this was my reasoning as well for 5/5/3. The black just doesn't do enough.
This discussion has been closed.