*** Spider-Man (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Situationally speaking, this is a very bizarre thread to resurrect.
  • Unknown
    Options
    qtquazar wrote:
    Situationally speaking, this is a very bizarre thread to resurrect.
    I suppose you are correct.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just pulled my 5th Blue spidey cover from a pvp token. Woo hoo. Oh well.

On the more serious note, anyone want to opine on the best build now? Looking through the specs my initial thought was 3/5/5 because his healing doesn't look that great anymore. On the flip side, it's not like there are a lot of healers available in the game. Have mine at 4/4/5 right now and feel pretty certain the 5th blue is worth doing, just deciding whether to drop yellow or purple.
  • Unknown
    Options
    His blue is pretty much utter trash now. One of the **** stuns going and purple is probably his best skill now. IMO 3/5/5 or 4/4/5 is the best build... personally I guess I might take the 4th blue just so I can get a 2 turn stun on 2nd use of his blue but that's at the expense of 400 healing....

Trouble with 5 blue is you'll get zero benefit unless you've reached 15 blue AP in the game AND kept your first 2 web tiles alive AND you'll only keep getting the benefit if you don't heal those 3 web tiles you'll have just reached away (heal nails 3 webs now if you have them or none if <2). His blue, for me, is more of an "if I don't have another blue why not use it" kind of ability.
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    Options
    bonfire01 wrote:
    His blue is pretty much utter trash now. One of the **** stuns going and purple is probably his best skill now. IMO 3/5/5 or 4/4/5 is the best build... personally I guess I might take the 4th blue just so I can get a 2 turn stun on 2nd use of his blue but that's at the expense of 400 healing....

Trouble with 5 blue is you'll get zero benefit unless you've reached 15 blue AP in the game AND kept your first 2 web tiles alive AND you'll only keep getting the benefit if you don't heal those 3 web tiles you'll have just reached away (heal nails 3 webs now if you have them or none if <2). His blue, for me, is more of an "if I don't have another blue why not use it" kind of ability.
    Agreed -- so much so that I'm planning on changing him to 5/3/5 when I get the covers.
  • Unknown
    Options
    bonfire01 wrote:
    His blue, for me, is more of an "if I don't have another blue why not use it" kind of ability.

That is the exact same conclusion I reached when testing the nerf out.

And therefore, with all the other characters who have at least 2 powers that cause serious problems, there is absolutely no reason to even be running with GoldBags now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Great minds think alike...

viewtopic.php?p=142112#p142112

icon_mrgreen.gif

I'm truly sorry I missed that. +1 rep for you.
  • Unknown
    Options
    At this point I think they should just get replace ATU with "Spider Sting" that stuns target for 5 turns + team for 1 turn for 9 AP, and just get rid of the web tile mechanism.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Currently 4/4/5 (Sold 4 purples now) because you can still get 3 turns of stun off 10 blue. I think that's fair enough for the cost. I'm not that crazy about the heal cause 12 AP and Purple caps at 4 shields for good match mitigation. Good to combo with another purple user for max effectiveness.
  • Marvelous
    Marvelous Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Options
    Just out of curiosity...since I just started playing only a month or two ago, I never got spiderman to use and see the difference in what he is now to what he use to be... what was his best build originally?..and what is it now?.. or is it the same, he just sucks entirely?
  • Unknown
    Options
    qtquazar wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Great minds think alike...

viewtopic.php?p=142112#p142112

icon_mrgreen.gif

I'm truly sorry I missed that. +1 rep for you.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7702

Honestly guys, do keep up... icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've been playing with Falcon a lot recently and I think Spiderman protect's tile is actually quite well designed if you're only limited to PvE. I use Bird Strike fairly often in PvE and Spider Sense is probably better than Bird Strike (easier to setup, though easier to get rid of too). The problem is that defensive mechanism doesn't work against the hyper offensive teams you go up against in PvP. At the 141X3 level, if the enemy team doesn't have a move that can wipe out a guy and possibly your team for 12 AP there's something wrong with their team construction. AP acceleration abilities (Magnetic Field, Dormammu's Aid) amplifies this but even if Thor is by himself, it's not really that inconceiveable for him to pick up 12Y which will usually take out a guy from the ensuing cascade. Right now offense is easily outstripping defense, and that really should be the other way around from a balance point of view because defense can't win you the game by itself and winning slowly is basically the same thing as losing in PvP (other people can attack you during this time), so it should be very easy to setup a solid defense.

One suggestion I thought of in general is that protect tile should've their effects amplified on AP consuming moves, or maybe certain AP consuming moves should be extra ineffective against protect tiles. World Rapture is actually a good example, but since Daken's strike tiles is likely to easily outpace whatever Spider Sense tiles you can put up this won't actually work, but if not for Daken you can actually comfortably shut down World Rupture with a single Spider Sense protect tile. Just take any offensive moves that are clearly too good and make protect tiles work X5 on them. I doubt this means people will try to put protect tiles to stop a Call the Storm even if protect tiles are 5 times effective on it, but at least Spiderman won't look like a free kill. Note that this would be a successfully resolved Peacemaker will cut about half of the damage from Call the Storm, and I think that's actually quite fair if you manage to get a Peacemaker before someone has a Call the Storm ready.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I've been playing with Falcon a lot recently and I think Spiderman protect's tile is actually quite well designed if you're only limited to PvE. I use Bird Strike fairly often in PvE and Spider Sense is probably better than Bird Strike (easier to setup, though easier to get rid of too). The problem is that defensive mechanism doesn't work against the hyper offensive teams you go up against in PvP. At the 141X3 level, if the enemy team doesn't have a move that can wipe out a guy and possibly your team for 12 AP there's something wrong with their team construction. AP acceleration abilities (Magnetic Field, Dormammu's Aid) amplifies this but even if Thor is by himself, it's not really that inconceiveable for him to pick up 12Y which will usually take out a guy from the ensuing cascade. Right now offense is easily outstripping defense, and that really should be the other way around from a balance point of view because defense can't win you the game by itself and winning slowly is basically the same thing as losing in PvP (other people can attack you during this time), so it should be very easy to setup a solid defense.

I agree that the protect tile is great, the trouble is that there are only a few places you can spend the purple - with a 3* team cmag (probably the best use), falcon defence tile overkill and GSBW whose team is asking to be attacked. Falcon's works well with spidey since spidey can use yellow to heal and falcon can use purple to lay down more defence tiles and yellow to amplify both their defence tiles. Problem with that team is that there are only 3 active abilities (which are extremely powerful when working in tandem) so you really need a strong red/green/black user (which come to think of it isn't too difficult actually).
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    Options
    I just noticed today that Spiderman's regen time has been changed to 25 minutes (like Wolverine/Daken) instead of 50 minutes. I think this happened in the last update. Any devs care to comment? Was this intentional?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok, Spiderman blue has been nerfed and now it is completely useless, but he is still usable sometimes using purple and yellow, but I have a 4/5/4 Spiderman and I want to know if now is safe to respec him 5/3/5 whenever I got the covers.

It would be great if IceIX or anybody could confirm if now he has finished his adjustment period after the nerf.

PS: I still have hope that blue is going to be adjusted a little (at least the quantity of web tiles created).
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I noticed yesterday that I could not sell him for the increased value anymore. I would assume that the adj period is over.
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I had 141 5/5/3 spidey before the nerf, and I was rather upset by the changes.

Initially.

I still use him while climbing PvP because he prevents damage like a pro, even better than he had before the nerf. I use GSBW and go straight for purple matches. starting the first few turns with shields up is great. with a fast finisher like GSBW, I rarely take more than 200 damage per fight. When I switch out to other characters on my roster, they need perpetual healing. Even characters like Hulk, Thor, and Sentry take a beating even in the course of a swift victory.

Sure, his stun was overpowering, and I used the heck out of it. But really I only needed it to lock out OBW from stealing my purple. For my play style, Spidey was only necessary to combat an overpowered two-star, OBW. Now, less people use low level Spidey and most use OBW to heal mid-match in PvP.

In the Thick as Thieves PvE, OBW was buffed. My level 40 OBW was suddenly an 85 and you know what? I won my bracket. So, original poster, the message I have for you is this: use spidey if you have him, he is great as is. Use your OBW while you can, because she should be next for adjustment.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Ok, Spiderman blue has been nerfed and now it is completely useless, but he is still usable sometimes using purple and yellow, but I have a 4/5/4 Spiderman and I want to know if now is safe to respec him 5/3/5 whenever I got the covers.

It would be great if IceIX or anybody could confirm if now he has finished his adjustment period after the nerf.

PS: I still have hope that blue is going to be adjusted a little (at least the quantity of web tiles created).

Why would you buy new characters if the old ones were still useful??

Maybe a future 4* spiderman where you'd have to earn everything all over again . . .
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cragger wrote:
    I had 141 5/5/3 spidey before the nerf, and I was rather upset by the changes.

Initially.

I still use him while climbing PvP because he prevents damage like a pro, even better than he had before the nerf. I use GSBW and go straight for purple matches. starting the first few turns with shields up is great. with a fast finisher like GSBW, I rarely take more than 200 damage per fight. When I switch out to other characters on my roster, they need perpetual healing. Even characters like Hulk, Thor, and Sentry take a beating even in the course of a swift victory.

Sure, his stun was overpowering, and I used the heck out of it. But really I only needed it to lock out OBW from stealing my purple. For my play style, Spidey was only necessary to combat an overpowered two-star, OBW. Now, less people use low level Spidey and most use OBW to heal mid-match in PvP.

In the Thick as Thieves PvE, OBW was buffed. My level 40 OBW was suddenly an 85 and you know what? I won my bracket. So, original poster, the message I have for you is this: use spidey if you have him, he is great as is. Use your OBW while you can, because she should be next for adjustment.

The curious thing is that my spidey is just level 101, I didn't have to level him more to use his blue properly and don't mess with Patch Best there is, but now I see that leveling him is interesting, so after I finish leveling Daken and Sentry I will pump some iso into him.

I have been using Spidey after the nerf with LThor and CMagneto in PvE and it has its uses, specially against goons (where the Hood is not that usefull). In PvP I think he is not good enough to be in my roster.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Polares wrote:

I have been using Spidey after the nerf with LThor and CMagneto in PvE and it has its uses, specially against goons (where the Hood is not that usefull). In PvP I think he is not good enough to be in my roster.

Hood isn't good against goons? I mean, he isn't my first choice, but he can steal all kinds of AP against auto-generators and his yellow clears an awful lot of tiles. He isn't necessarily as fast as I would like (I still use M Storm, Cap, and Moonstone for all goons fights, actually), but I've found him to have a lot of good anti-mook mojo in certain situations. Paired decently with GSBW and (insert third) for a few recent PvE adventures.

Editing this in because I got distracted: the adjustment period was probably a lie, anyway. They made the decision they wanted to make about Spiderman's functionality, they implemented it, and there is likely never going to be any further adjustment to his character. I mean, if they were really serious about fixing mistakes in the game, Ragnarok would have a third power by now. (Not saying that Spiderman now is quite as bad as Ragnarok...oh, wait...that's what I'm saying.)