*** Spider-Man (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just got a chance to use you a bit.

"Thou hast been smitten by the mighty NERFSCALIBUR and now may take thy place next to Ragnarok." Ragnarok might not want you too close to him as he has heard hopes that he might be getting a 3rd color some day and therefor might be useful in the future, whereas you are to be forever relegated to prologue healing.

Hey, maybe they will offer a buyout for you like they did with Thor and Wolverine!!

No need to discuss the changes, just pay your respects to the dearly departed.

Time for yall snipers to sit and remember your bygone days where your cheesy assed teams could take out mine just by virtue of having 2* Magento, Spiderman and a lot of patience.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Retire In Peace Spidey. Thanks for keeping Level 370 Ares from tearing my face off. See you in prologue buddy, enjoy your PVP/PVE retirement, it's well deserved.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's ok Clint. My lvl 130 spidey sells for 70k!
    If I do that I can probably come close to maxing OBW! Lmao
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,271 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's not mentionned anywhere but check your sell price on Spider-Man. Looks like they're offering a special sell price for a time, just as they did with Thor and Wolverine.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    There is already the Patch Notes and Character Discussion topic for Spider-Man, no need for another topic.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Kuchiri wrote:
    A stronger heal than Original Black Widow, a 3 turn 5AP stun, and Passive Protect tiles? Bag-Man v2?

Can I have some of the stuff you guys are smoking?

Seriously though, why are people complaining about this. Oh Boo-Hoo I can't spam All-Tied-Up over and over again and beat every single person in this game. Let's add to the fact that his heal was worthless unless there was ten or more Web Tiles on the board.

I see people raging when they go against him now in pvp and see he heals his team for 3000 just like the 2* players are raging at the 1200 OBW team heal.

He is still a strong 3* support that is still useful in PVP and PVE.

That is not how he plays at all. He is currently utterly useless in his former support role, as 15 blue AP is really horrible to gather before you can do that "good stun". His heal is mildly buffed in a way, but he is now just a healbot, and no, he is useless in PvP. In PvE he has a spot though.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yes Ice I read your post locking Clint's Re: RIP Spiderman thread

"IceIX » Wed May 21, 2014 2:48 pm

There is already the Patch Notes and Character Discussion topic for Spider-Man, no need for another topic."

I just wanted to take a moment and thank spidey though for all that he did for me.

Without his help I would not be where I am today. Although I eventually got bored of and found it too slow to play Spidey I think it is fair to have a memorial for him outside the patch notes or his character thread. He was a great help and a big part of the game.

Besides if no one opens any threads regarding Spider-man we get thoughts like

"Ragnarok was massively overpowered and the day we changed it players were furious. A week later, it was no longer a topic of widespread conversation."

While I agree that Spiderman was ridiculously overpowered and needed to be changed it is important to recognize that the nerfbat stings and we need a place to remember him and not let him be simply forgotten.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Well, as you saw the thread and the reasons behind using the perfectly serviceable threads that are available, you won't mind me locking this one too. Please don't create multiple threads. It doesn't help anything.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is there any chances devs/Ice that (to prevent massive backlash) that you could roll out minor changes to characters over time to see how players feel about it rather than one giant nerf bat (which I'm afraid to say is as subtle as a brick).
    For instance with Mags (I'm not sure if you've already decided on his changes already), if you could instead of rolling out a GIANT change (people don't like change icon_e_sad.gif ). You instead maybe just tweak his numbers incrementally, like say alter his red by (sticking to your AP rules) making it cost 5AP or if you're feeling generous 4. And getting the community feedback on that change before you alter his other skills?

I feel this would go a long way into producing a more positive effect in your alteration of character abilities and could produce better results in finding a proper balance, while at the same time reducing massive outrage on the forum.
  • Unknown
    Options
    His healing is still adequate, but the stun is nearly pointless. Generally, you'll end up with a one or two turn stun. The web tiles will rarely last for a third before you can get to 15 blue AP.

Doesn't seem to be much point to his purple anymore, either. It's dependent on web tiles you won't get, so you'll generally be better off pulling in another offensive character and trying to burst the enemy down.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, with the recent changes, I hope to see Spider-Man in Heroic mode now. Not really complaining about the 15AP stun or the changes to his other abilities. I'm actually really happy with the changes to his heal and protect tiles. I can now combo him with MN Mags like I wanted or The Hood to round out my support.
  • Unknown
    Options
    WilsonFisk wrote:
    vayhle wrote:
    Here's the thing for me. I started playing a few months ago, had fun, built up a few covers. Started to be able to compete, and enjoyed the game enough I decided to pay in to get a cover maxed out, I chose Spiderman because he seemed so useful. Bought the covers last week, now its nerfed to hell.

I PM-d and emailed asking for a way to recover this (coins refunded), no response. I would never choose or level this card with the new setup. Thor, Punisher, Hulk or wait for another now that spiderman is bagman+. Thing is, next week maybe Thor will be determined OP, or Hulk gets dropped to 1000 health at level 141 because that would be fun too.

Lesson learned. Never, ever, spend money on this game.

I bought the HP to boost my Spidey also. Contacted D3 and got nowhere. I then contacted Google Play support explaining to them that the product I purchased was changed post-purchase, and they gave me a FULL refund on an Asgard Treasure. I was just asking for HP back from D3, and acknowledging that they could take the covers as well.

So, my suggestion play hard ball and contact Google. I ended up with a refund and still have my boosted but soon worthless Spidey.

You mean now worthless. i waited to try it out, its worse than i thought it would be, garbage.
    https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1050566

i send D3 a request through the game to replace the coins i spent boosting his covers, otherwise i will use the googleplay support as you suggest. this is total ****.
  • Pats0132
    Pats0132 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What's Spider-mans best build now with the change? 553 or 355 or 535
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Osaic wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    dlaw008 wrote:
    I'm in the camp that they should have revised him completely. Remove the reliance on web tiles completely (I may post in another thread recommending that web tiles be removed from the game), turn one of his support powers into an offensive move, and generally make him more well-rounded. Spider-Man is stronger than Captain America in most versions, and known for his speed, stamina, willpower, intelligence, and wit. All D3 saw was a dude with web-shooters.

As I am a fan of flavor, I would love a Spidey in this game that played that way: keep his stun ability potent, turn his Spider Sense protect tiles into a dodge (like Hawkeye's Avoid). Remove the heal altogether, and give him one offensive combo power - like a flurry of blows that feel sort of like OBW's double hit, or a low cost/low damage AOE - something that would simulate his acrobatic attack style. He wouldn't be a damaging bruiser like Thor, but he couldn't be ignored either - he'd be annoying like a bug! This would feel much more like Spidey, and would keep him relevant without being OP. Current mpq Spidey doesn't get it quite right, but nerfed Spidey feels even more off base.

There's enough solid damage dealers in the three 3 range as it is. More good utitlity characters would be welcome as to give folks more options than Hood, Dakan and Cpt. Falcon. In addition to the very appropriate dodge idea (websense tingling. its perfect), Perhaps have him actually be a good bagman. More board control through the use of selectable web-lockdown tiles. there really isn't much of that used in the pvp game since noone seriously fields bag-man. Trade the stun for say a 6ap+ rankable lock-down tiles (maybe spike cost per level for more tiles per cast), keep the yellow healing, but make it like Phantron said: straight up heal with maybe a slight bonus for having webtiles out. (like 2* clawbubs green or a better ver of BP's yellow)

It would be nice to see lockdown tiles introduced into the pvp meta as its probably going to be a looong time before there are a lot of Usable IW's in the pvp arena. See a potential cascade but want to get that last match to pop off your AOE? lock down those tiles and cripple your opponent. It would certainly capture oBW one true strength: you cant ignore her. Leave her to long and shell bite you in the tinykitty later. that buys your ai def force time to power up.

I've talked about my take on what would have made a good redesign in a few other places previously, but here's as good a place as any to repeat myself.

I also believe very strongly in giving Spidey an offensive ability, and it doesn't have to be an I-win button.

Keep Yellow as a heal, I guess either form that it's taken is about as good as the other - in fact, its current form might be better since it still heals well enough without web tiles.

Keep Blue as a stun, but remove it's ability to actually place web tiles. It still uses up any web tiles on the board and have stun scale according to rank + tile count.

Turn Purple into his offensive ability. This might require a change in colour if we want to keep a more rigid colour pie. This ability "Web Shot" or "Blast" or something like that. Spider-Man launches a bolt of webbing at his opponent, hitting them and leaving a web tile on the board.

You want Web Shot to be a relatively spammable ability, but it should probably put the web tiles over the same colour tiles as it uses, because you're using those webs to fuel his blue and yellow. You want to be matching (purple) firing off a few webs, then using blue or yellow and start collecting (purple) again.

I've taken away his Protect tiles. I guess that's the price to pay in order to turn him into more of a hybrid character. Since his blue requires web tiles for the stun, perhaps it can have "if no web tiles present, create a strength X protect tile".

Anyway, that's my take on Spider-Man. I don't think that loses any of the flavour of his character, and I think that making him a hybrid would help create an interesting dynamic. It should also allow for some variation in builds.
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    vayhle wrote:
    WilsonFisk wrote:
    vayhle wrote:
    Here's the thing for me. I started playing a few months ago, had fun, built up a few covers. Started to be able to compete, and enjoyed the game enough I decided to pay in to get a cover maxed out, I chose Spiderman because he seemed so useful. Bought the covers last week, now its nerfed to hell.

I PM-d and emailed asking for a way to recover this (coins refunded), no response. I would never choose or level this card with the new setup. Thor, Punisher, Hulk or wait for another now that spiderman is bagman+. Thing is, next week maybe Thor will be determined OP, or Hulk gets dropped to 1000 health at level 141 because that would be fun too.

Lesson learned. Never, ever, spend money on this game.

I bought the HP to boost my Spidey also. Contacted D3 and got nowhere. I then contacted Google Play support explaining to them that the product I purchased was changed post-purchase, and they gave me a FULL refund on an Asgard Treasure. I was just asking for HP back from D3, and acknowledging that they could take the covers as well.

So, my suggestion play hard ball and contact Google. I ended up with a refund and still have my boosted but soon worthless Spidey.

You mean now worthless. i waited to try it out, its worse than i thought it would be, garbage.
    https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1050566

i send D3 a request through the game to replace the coins i spent boosting his covers, otherwise i will use the googleplay support as you suggest. this is total ****.

D3 will do nothing, but going through them is still the proper way to go so you can tell Google you got no resolution from them. You'll also need to go in your Google Wallet and have the order number for the HP pack you purchased when you contact Google. Only took them 2 days to get back to me and refund my card.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just to be clear... you are saying "frog" protection, right?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Kuchiri wrote:
    A stronger heal than Original Black Widow, a 3 turn 5AP stun, and Passive Protect tiles? Bag-Man v2?

Seriously though, why are people complaining about this. Oh Boo-Hoo I can't spam All-Tied-Up over and over again and beat every single person in this game. Let's add to the fact that his heal was worthless unless there was ten or more Web Tiles on the board.

I see people raging when they go against him now in pvp and see he heals his team for 3000 just like the 2* players are raging at the 1200 OBW team heal.

Two questions:
    1. Who are these people who are raging when they get to face the new Spidey?

2. What kind of Dev kool-aid are they drinking and where can I get some?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Is the best spec now 553?
  • Unknown
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    Kuchiri wrote:

Two questions:
    1. Who are these people who are raging when they get to face the new Spidey?

2. What kind of Dev kool-aid are they drinking and where can I get some?

And who are the 2* players raging, or caring at all, when OBW manages to heal only herself for 1000 on defense?
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    my opinion is: if you're complaining about how horrible he is now, then you've obviously just gamed the system in abusing his permastun. I know as soon as i saw that 2 AP ability and that it stunned and added a webtile when i first started playing, i knew it was gonna be nerfed eventually, ALL 2 AP abilities are broken, even if Mags doesn't do much damage with his, you pair him with patch and you can sit there and ability spam the opponent to death for a 1000+ damage/2 red AP. The devs are making the game more balanced to make it fair for everyone, part of that reason is actually money, but really....at the end of the day they're in the business of making money. If they didn't balance him, then i think they'd probably lose more customers cause of the rage involved going against him. Personally i don't mind the nerf to his abilities, it just means i won't see him used as much in PVP anymore and i thank the devs for that cause getting killed and losing points because people totally and utterly abused the permastun was just stupid. Get a better rounded roster instead of bemoaning the fact that they nerfed a character that allowed you to be hitting way above your weight. If you really hate him that much then just sell him at the premium the devs are offering right now, if i wanted i could sell my level 43 3/2/1 spidey for 5500 iso and 375 HP, so if you don't like it at least the devs are offering something if you sell him.