Prodigal Sun, Episode 4.5

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    #2 and #3 are separated by less than 300 points in my bracket.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Got to 53k and I'm 4k+ away from first, so I'll be content with a top 20 finish. Nothing to play for right now except for more scaling, and I'll pass on that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    It would be nice if the PVE rankings would stick around for a day or so like the PVP ones do.

Unless 6 people suddenly grabbed themselves 500+ points in the last 3 minutes, I think I held 14/15 in my main, and grabbed 1st in my sub by 1200+

This turned out to actually be a really cool event. I liked the variety of opponents in the last sub, and aside from the gatekeepers being a bit tough, everything was mostly manageable for me. I probably hurt my scaling for the next one though. icon_lol.gif
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Just heard about the Sentry from a final node in the event...
    Note to self: stop going to work, it always ends badly.
    Looks like I'll remain stuck in the 'never be able to do at all well in an event again' region, thanks to not having Daken resulting in a "top 600" in the event, coupled with missing that 'free' Sentry for people that're either without jobs or happen to be in the right timezones... /vent
  • Unknown
    Options
    bahamut685 wrote:
    Note to self: stop going to work, it always ends badly. Looks like I'll remain stuck in the never be able to do at all well in an event again thanks to not having Daken resulting in a "top 600" in the event and missing that 'free' Sentry for people that're either without jobs or happen to be in the right timezones... /vent

That Sentry node was there for the last 11 hours though after the mayham meter filled just past the 12 hour hour left in the event mark :/
  • bahamut685
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    bahamut685 wrote:
    Note to self: stop going to work, it always ends badly. Looks like I'll remain stuck in the never be able to do at all well in an event again thanks to not having Daken resulting in a "top 600" in the event and missing that 'free' Sentry for people that're either without jobs or happen to be in the right timezones... /vent
    That Sentry node was there for the last 11 hours though after the mayham meter filled just past the 12 hour hour left in the event mark :/
    Which does nothing to change my being at work. Though thanks for the info, I suppose.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    Jathro wrote:
    Wondering how some of you got so lucky that reaching 45k progression AND breaking top 20 are both attainable goals.
    In my bracket, I'm at 67th with just over 46k points while the leader has an absurd 70k. And 10th has 54k.
    Gonna take some serious, serious grinding tonight to break top 20...

Because of the reduced effectiveness of rubberbanding, scores were much more a function of the number of refreshes you participated in. If you joined an early bracket (and I can only assume that you had), then expect for scores to be higher, since more refreshes were available. The obvious downside of joining a late bracket is that you may never reach the progression rewards that the early grinders will (or, even worse, get sharded into a bracket that got an extra refresh than you.)

I also find that people who join late main brackets on purpose, tend to join late sub-brackets on purpose, too. Those that join a main bracket late, but make sure to hit most all of the refreshes on the subs afterwards, seem to have a pretty easy time. (But of course put themselves at risk of missing progressions and being put into a bracket where the leaders have gotten more refreshes.)

Shush! no one is supposed to know about the last bit! actually with heavy rubberbanding, joining subs late wouldn't make too much of a difference to the attainability of the progression rewards, but of course that attainability depends on the motivation of early joiners to grind which would be significantly lower due to the rubberbanding. I was a join late bracket, play sub late to maximise rubber banding type of player but once it became clear that rubberbanding wasn't really working, I had to quickly change over to doing at least 1 lazy refresh strategy.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wait I never saw the event, what the hell is going on? Been on everyday and All My wife and/or I have had has been pvp - help
  • bahamut685
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    Jathro wrote:
    Wondering how some of you got so lucky that reaching 45k progression AND breaking top 20 are both attainable goals.
    In my bracket, I'm at 67th with just over 46k points while the leader has an absurd 70k. And 10th has 54k.

Because of the reduced effectiveness of rubberbanding, scores were much more a function of the number of refreshes you participated in. If you joined an early bracket (and I can only assume that you had), then expect for scores to be higher, since more refreshes were available. The obvious downside of joining a late bracket is that you may never reach the progression rewards that the early grinders will (or, even worse, get sharded into a bracket that got an extra refresh than you.)
    I also find that people who join late main brackets on purpose, tend to join late sub-brackets on purpose, too. Those that join a main bracket late, but make sure to hit most all of the refreshes on the subs afterwards, seem to have a pretty easy time. (But of course put themselves at risk of missing progressions and being put into a bracket where the leaders have gotten more refreshes.)
    The only issue with joining events late is that the current system of "gentle nudge" (they should trademark that term) means that no matter when you join, if you've been laying more than a month, you're joining a bracket that's been running since the start.
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wait I never saw the event, what the hell is going on? Been on everyday and All My wife and/or I have had has been pvp - help

Not sure if joking, but on off chance you aren't. PVEs are under the story tab now. There was a red exclamation point in game. Basically if you see a red exclamation point somewhere click on it
  • Unknown
    Options

Not sure if joking, but on off chance you aren't. PVEs are under the story tab now. There was a red exclamation point in game. Basically if you see a red exclamation point somewhere click on it
    icon_eek.gif you've gotta be kidding me. I tried clicking them before to no avail. All the points I could have gotten icon_cry.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    I fell asleep somewhere around 3am my time, still locked out of MPQ. The last time I saw the leaderboard I was still #8 despite having been unable to play for hours. I slept very deeply through all alarms since I hadn't slept much the night before (real life stuff). I was woken up to be taken out to a quick brunch with my sisters (who had given me 3mins to get up + ready). After that I logged straight into the game to find the event had finished and accept bunches of rewards (PvP, PvE sub, PvE main - personal and alliance = lots of yay!).

I'm glad that bonus Sentry cover was handed out, and happy for everyone who got one. I would like to have gotten one myself but I certainly don't begrudge those that did!

I finished top #50. Considering how long I was locked out, I guess it could have been much worse. No idea if I ended up #21 or #50, which is mildly frustrating. I would love to see the after-event snapshot like with PvP. I haven't tried playing anything in MPQ yet but I'm really hoping it's all up and working now. I'm not feeling hugely motivated to play right now - I'm disappointed I couldn't play last night so I missed top #20.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bahamut685 wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    Jathro wrote:

The only issue with joining events late is that the current system of "gentle nudge" (they should trademark that term) means that no matter when you join, if you've been laying more than a month, you're joining a bracket that's been running since the start.
    Yeah, I joined a bit less than a refresh before the end of the first sub, and the gently nudged main bracket was still only half full when the sub ended. Which put basically half the people in it out of contention
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm not sure how the bracketing system works, but I joined right away and my bracket does say '1000 players', so some brackets still get filled unless they're swapping people between brackets.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I ended up with 46k points and still finished outside the top 100 somewhere (went to bed in 93rd place), so I'm assuming I had a really tight bracket. Shame as the extra Sentry cover would've been nice, but getting the free Sentry made it all worthwhile. Got my Daken cover at 45k which I didn't think I'd get with a day to go, so I'm happy enough with that. Definitely a good event, hopefully they repeat it exactly (with another free Sentry cover) in the future.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm not sure how many points I ended up with, wasn't paying attention - I did get my Daken cover so at least 45k. Probably closer to 48-50.

In any case, I didn't play the last three subs regularly, but because I grinded the first two into oblivion, I still managed to get into top 50 - stopped at #32 yesterday evening, about 9 hours before event's end.

I almost like this system.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TL;DR: Good event, devs.

I must say, I enjoyed this event.

Apart from being caught on the wrong foot with the missing rubberbanding and having to play way more than I would have liked for the second half of the event, it was good.

Scaling never went completely out of control, 216 for that GSBW/other 2 Avengers I cant remember node was the highest that I got (the end of the hard path), 178 for that Hulk/Wolvie essential was high, but manageable (easily with Pun/OBW/100+ UDaken).

Managed 17th place with some 2.5k points in the last hour (getting up at 5am for the end of a PVE is a given, not even complaining anymore, just the way it is).

That mixture of 'easy' nodes with set, low levels, 'hard' nodes with scaling, and essentials which scale but also have rubberbanding is pretty good.

And of course giving everyone (well, those who checked in the last 12 hours) a free Sentry is a great gesture, basically giving everyone a free top 20 placement.

I think we're starting to hit a good formula for PVE. If scaling is reset between events I might have just started to have fun again.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I must say this event was a win

I got top 20 for the first time ever

The free sentry cover was a surprise plus I won two extra covers.

I got two daken covers from winning the sun coins from the different areas although it was his black cover but couldn't reach the 45k for his purple which is Ok because he isn't my focus to be the best right now

And finally thanks to having boosted characters and sacrificing Moonstone after receiving the free Sentry Cover, I finally reached my first 85 cover by giving all my iso I received from this event to Ares

Thanks D3 love u lots!
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    And of course giving everyone (well, those who checked in the last 12 hours) a free Sentry is a great gesture, basically giving everyone a free top 20 placement.

I think we're starting to hit a good formula for PVE. If scaling is reset between events I might have just started to have fun again.
    I agree with this two the most.

Hopefully devs can continue with this, sorta a better reward IMHO than the 5000, 2000, 1000 ISO rewards. Scaling reset is hugely welcomed if they implement it, but more importantly a fast reduction in enemy levels if I genuinely try to win a match but have 1-2 heroes killed and had to retreat the last one.
  • Unknown
    Options
    i didnt grind not and didnt do the daken required missions and still got top 100. This netted me a sentry cover. Bonus spiderman blue cover in the end from a prodigal sun token made it extra sweet.This plus the free sentry cover you get in the last mission the shows up in the final hours made this event very productive time/effort wise.

Pleasantly surprised with the outcome of this event overall. I didnt have to grind the last 10 hours to get a decent placement. that and when I was playing most of the opponents were lv 25 to 35, so no grinding played hugely in my favor this time.