It's Us, Deadpool Offer

Options

Comments

• Clamps2
    Clamps2 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So in typical MPQ fashion this is still unclear, whether intentional or not.

I don't spend a lot on this game, but do occasionally.  I can see the RA pack, and expect to see the DP pack when it expires.  As I'm in 4* land, the RA pack has no value to me, and the DP pack is only a maybe.  The LA pack doesn't help as I have both champed already, but the YA pack sounds interesting.

Except you're saying I won't ever see the YA pack offer unless I buy the DP one first?

Also, I'm unlikely to buy more than one of these each month, because bonus rewards are a factor.  So offering up a new one 12 hours after I buy any of them?  Almost certainly going to be ignored.

It sounds like my options are either:
    -buy nothing
    -buy all the things now or I'll never see the offers again

I'm not allowed to choose selective offers when I see added value specific to my roster?
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I bought the rare avengers one and of course the next day there is Deadpool and 3 days to buy or it's gone.  Yeah, screw you and this greed, not buying anymore
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The problem with the way they're doing this, is that most people being offered the RA pack don't read the forums, and thus don't even realize that this is the first in a sequence.

They might buy the RA pack (especially if they can use the HP) because it's an above-average deal.

Imagine the annoyance and regret that player experiences, when they immediately thereafter get offered something that's much better and more useful. 

Then imagine that 10-fold for players where the later packs have even more value.

If these are going to be offered back-to-back, they should have been offered at the same time. It's the only way the players know that there are going to be multiple offers.

I mean that was me and I *do* read the forums because this thread gave me the impression there were to be two deals and both sounded good.

Then along came a third which was way better and now I can't afford it, and even if I could I wouldn't buy it out of pure incredulity.
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So basically the only way to make this kinda make sense is.. skip RA pack... wait til the DP pack is bout to expire and buy that one.. LA bundle wait... rinse and repeat... 

lets tallie that up .... $140 in a matter of 15 days... $155 if you rushed and bought the RA pack in fear of not getting the DP bundle (which I almost did) and these figures are only valid if D3 stops at the Vital Villians bundle.. 

I enjoy this game just as much as everyone else.. daily player, VIP etc... but this is a bit much.. especially when I was trying to save so I could make sure not to miss out on the anniversary stuff..

sigh.. 

Dazzler drops and xoas commences... *little PW3 humor*
  • cschwinge
    cschwinge Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Terrible. Space them out and allow us to not buy (by waiting) and still move up the chain a week later. I probably would pay for the Vulture pack, simply because my vulture is 11/2/1 (only 3 covers saved though) and I still need Ghost and RHulk covers. But I'm not paying another $90 on top of that for some 4*s that I don't really want or need. I'd also end up with a ridiculous 20k HP that I don't need
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can't remember the last time that i came across a group of people upset about not being able to buy something.  Do you people also go to the store the day before Thanksgiving and complain that you aren't getting the Black Friday Sale price???

How soon we forget, we are talking about a game that had a business model for almost 5 years of putting a clock their goods.  I'm talking specifically about covers. If you got a cover for someone new, and didn't have the HP to roster them, you had a choice; buy HP,  wait 14 days and hope you earn enough, or let that cover expire. 

This isnt new, and i agree that spacing it out would benefit me more, but it just seems like several people are blowing this a little out of proportion.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This marketing strategy is ridiculous!  I've got a great analogy for this situation........

It's like eating at a restaurant and at the end of the meal the waiter asks if you would like dessert.  Normally, you pass on dessert, but today you feel like splurging.  You ask what the dessert options are and the waiter tells you that they only have 1 dessert option, which is $5.  So, you go for it.  Once you're done eating the dessert, the waiter asks if you would like another exclusive dessert for $10.  "Why would I do that?  I just ate dessert?" you ask.  "Well, this is an exclusive dessert only for people that buy the first dessert", the waiter says.  You think it must be special somehow and you don't want to miss your opportunity, so you hesitate, but agree to buy the 2nd exclusive dessert.

Once your done eating the 2nd dessert (and not feeling good about yourself) the waiter asks if you would like another exclusive dessert for $15.  "Are you crazy!? I just ate 2 desserts, which is 2 more than normal, and now you want me to buy a 3rd one!", you say.  "Well, we could see how much you enjoyed the desserts, so we wanted to offer you some more". the waiter says.  "But why does the price keep going up?", you ask.  "Because the desserts get a little bit better each time", he says.  "Can't you see that I'm already stuffed and regretting how much I've spent?", you say.  "We figured that after being conditioned to spending money on exclusive items, you wouldn't mind", he says. 
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The solution here seems pretty simple... either:

1) If you're going to chain the offers, take the timer off them. Forcing them all to be bought, stacked on top of one another, in the span of 2 weeks is a bit crazy - even for those willing to spend. If there was no timer, but, one deal just chained to the next, you could work your way up the deals as your finances allow over the course of months or years.

2) Or, if the dev team feel they've gotta have the timer (for the "act now" factor), just take out the chaining aspect of requiring all the deals to be bought to see them. Just show the next deal after the first deal expires or is bought or show them all at once.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is what they should have done:

A - Offer all exclusive packs at the same time and make them available for a week.  OR.......

B - Make all packs have the same resources (but different 4* covers), and then have each succeeding pack cost less than the one before, which is an incentive to buy more than one.  For example, the 1st pack is $20, the 2nd pack is $17, the 3rd pack is $14, the 4th pack is $12, the 5th pack is $10. 

Since the value of these packs is arbitrary and made out of thin air, it would be beneficial to D3 to offer something that makes the most amount of money.  They don't need to worry about people getting to the top level of play with a bunch of 4* covers.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Or they could put in a random offer from the pool every week or so, with the timer that expires and everything. If it expires, it goes back into the pool and may show up again later. You buy it, there's one less to choose from. So it perpetually cycles through them, and people who buy most or all of them are more likely to see new offers when they show up. That way the offers are never permanently gone, and there's a benefit to buying all of them (if one comes along that you really really want, you don't have to wait for it to show up, because it is more likely to show up if you've bought other bundles). More like the 5* HFH deals, nothing that ever expires and disappears forever.

I'm also in the boat of "I'd buy the next one if it showed up in a few weeks, but won't buy it right on the heels of a previous bundle."
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I want to buy them all, and spread over a longer period of time, i.e. two a month, i definitely would. I just cant afford to though. Serious FOMO if the chain is going to end by not buying
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    >  a group of people upset about not being able to buy something

This is not the correct analysis though. There's a few problems:

1. Players in the early-to-mid 4* transition can probably use *all* of these packs except RA. To initially hide them behind RA was a mistake.

2. The devs know ahead of time what packs are being offered, but the average player does not, and thus buying decisions are being made without key details

3. Some packs are more valuable than others, and we shouldn't be forced into buying unwanted packs just to unlock the ones we want. And again, most players will get surprised by all of this! There's no clue in-game that after spending money, they're going to immediately get hit up for more. AND THAT HAPPENS MULTIPLE TIMES.

• RPIJG
    RPIJG Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I'm confused.  I see the DP offer.  If I don't buy the DP offer, will other offers show up at some other point?  

The rule seems to be that the Deadpool offer is the start of the chain.  If you don't buy it, you don't see the next one (Legendary Avengers).

LA bundle:  $29.99 for 4KHP, 30K iso, 500 riso, Rank 3 Quinjet, one LT, and 6 covers of Nick Fury and Hulkbuster.

If you buy Legendary Avengers, you will be offered the Young Avengers bundle.

YA bundle:  $39.99 for 6KHP, 35K iso, 500 riso, Rank 3 Hulkling, one LT, and 6 covers each for America Chavez, Kate Bishop, and Wiccan.

If you buy the Young Avengers bundle, you will be offered the Vital Villains bundle.

VV bundle:  $49.99 for 7K HP, no LT, Rank 3 Hydra Henchmen, and 9 covers each for Vulture, Ghost, and Red Hulk (I'm not sure how much iso and riso you get, but I'd guess 40K iso and 500 riso).

After the Vital Villains bundle, we don't know yet.

It appears that if you allow a bundle to expire because you don't want it, the chain ends.  So if you really want the VV bundle, you need to buy all the prior bundles. (Not the Rare Avengers bundle, start with the Deadpool bundle.)

To repeat since it's confusing:  Anyone who bought the Starter pack will see the Rare Avengers bundle first.  You can either buy that one to move up to the Deadpool bundle, or just let it expire and the Deadpool bundle will then appear.  If you never bought the Starter pack way back in January (or when your account saw it after some Prologue missions), but you DID buy something else along the way, you'll see the Deadpool bundle as your first bundle.

Confused yet?  Maybe a little frustrated?  

That's what we know so far.
    Problem with this is that it just isn't happening like that either.  I bought the DP offer and the starter offer, then I bought the LA offer.

I don't see the YA offer despite rebooting and force restarting.  So if I don't see YA, I won't see the VV bundle.  Clearly there is more to this than just buying up the offer tier.
  • barrok
    barrok Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My bundles are showing up (other than the first one) at 12:00 am mountain time. I have no idea if anyone else is like this, but it has been like clockwork. If I buy the previous bundle, that night at 12:00 AM the next shows up. So don't expect it to instantly pop up after you have purchased the previous one (at least that is my experience). 
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree with most.  Start the chain, no timer.  Allow me to buy when I want, and once I buy, I get the next offer.

I've bought literally every offer up to this point.  As much as I would like more Chavez covers, I am not buying the Hulkbuster/Nick Fury one.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Really devs? a $75 pack? Really? Has this truly become a P2W experience over night?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,623 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ooh, what is in the $75 pack?!?!? This is getting exciting. At some point the lucky buyer must get a free phone included the way these are scaling!
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Options
    10k HP, 40k ISO, 5k RISO, 1 LT, some support I'm not sure of. 9 Covers for the following (3 of each color): Rogue, Teen Jean, Icebaby, X-23.

Pic for reference: https://imgur.com/a/EA1ontt